Reccomendations?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Reccomendations?

Postby Knives » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:40 am

Hey guys, I have been really having a waning interest in manga for the last few months. I havent read a manga all summer, but it isn't because I don't like manga, It is just that the manga I used to enjoy seems less entertaining. Ie: Kenshin starts to seem really repetitive after 20 volumes, One Piece seems stupid, DBZ seems predictable, etc! What I have decided is that I really don't care for this kind of manga much anymore...sooo can anyone reccomend some more "mature" manga? I really like sci-fi dystopian/cyberpunk type stuff...I read a little bit of blame and it seemed pretty good. Can anyone reccomend some stuff? Thanks!
Knives

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:40 pm

Try the Seikai Trilogy:Crest of the Stars,Banner of the Stars and Banner of the
Stars II.
mitsuki lover

Postby Knives » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:42 am

Ok, I will take a look at those.
Knives

Postby Knives » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:45 am

Oops, could a mod delete this post?
Knives

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:19 am

The Kindaichi Case Files are great if you enjoy suspense/mystery manga.

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind is great for epic fantasy with the Miyazaki touch (does get a tad depressing towards the end though). It's 7 manga volumes.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Myoti » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:29 am

One Piece seems stupid,

How far did you get? While it does seem silly and random at times, it's anything but "stupid" (except for the characters, which usually ARE morons XD ). If you didn't get too far, I suggest you keep reading, especially up to Arlong Arc (around Vol. 9, I believe). There and up, it's just incredible and enters some slightly more "mature" scenarios (though still occasionally broken up by humourus moments, but hey, it just makes it more entertaining ;D ).
Myoti

Postby Knives » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:15 pm

[quote="Myoti"]How far did you get? While it does seem silly and random at times, it's anything but "stupid" (except for the characters, which usually ARE morons XD ). If you didn't get too far, I suggest you keep reading, especially up to Arlong Arc (around Vol. 9, I believe). There and up, it's just incredible and enters some slightly more "mature" scenarios (though still occasionally broken up by humourus moments, but hey, it just makes it more entertaining ]
I think I read up to vol. 6...but if it gets better maybe I will continue to read it. It isn't that I don't like some stupidity, it just seemed like the stupidity had been over the top...
Knives

Postby Myoti » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:42 pm

It may seem over the top at times, but it does get quite good as the series progresses (Volume 6 was Baratie, I believe?), namely the Alabasta and current arc.
Myoti

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:53 pm

Eric

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:39 pm

Myoti, just accept not everyone enjoys One Piece. Give it a break! (lol)
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Myoti » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:40 pm

Join the Dark Side, W4J!! >=D

If OP is mentioned, how can I NOT post? XD
I just wanna make sure everyone gives it a 'fair chance.' If they do, then I'm okay ('fair chance' being at least to Arlong...). =)
Myoti

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:41 pm

I'm reading a series called Claymore right now. I've only read the first two volumes, but so far it's been very good. Lots of sword fighting, beautifully drawn :thumb:
Kawaiikneko

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:03 am

well, this manga isn't sci-fi dystopian/cyberpunk but it's a pretty mature manga, IMO. Monster. it's 18 volumes long (i think the fourth volume should be out soon in graphic novel form) and the author is the infamous naoki urasawa. and if you like this manga, you could also try 20th Century Boys. it's the same author. and this manga is also pretty mature. but i'm not recommending these mangas because they are mature. they are also awesome mangas. with excellent art and very intensely detailed storylines, these mangas are two of the BEST out there.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Ichigo_89 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:51 am

I recommend giving Blame a second go. It's really interesting if u start reading, and for cyberpunk-ish fans, it's a must read.
Ichigo_89

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:45 pm

Ichigo_89 wrote:I recommend giving Blame a second go. It's really interesting if u start reading, and for cyberpunk-ish fans, it's a must read.

yeah. this manga is pretty interesting. i really liked the artwork. it was very detailed.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:38 pm

Try Trigun Maximum, Fullmetal Alchemist or Otogi Zoshi.

As well, how far are you willing to go into fan service? If so, I would suggest picking up Hellsing and/or Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Hitokiri

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:47 pm

What kind of question is that? Fan service isn't good, but if it's not a big part in can generally be ignored. But one's with lots, isn't it best to avoid them?
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Icarus » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:03 pm

See if you can find Battle Angel Alita.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Hitokiri » Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:20 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:What kind of question is that? Fan service isn't good, but if it's not a big part in can generally be ignored. But one's with lots, isn't it best to avoid them?

Some people are good with avoiding fan service while others have a huge problem with it. I was just saying if it's not a issue for you, there are alot of good series out there.

Personally, fan service doesn't faze me at all. Unless it's blatant sex, I am usually cool with it and in some cases, like Love Hina, it can be funny. I believe I have explained myself regarding the issue of fan service before so no need to go in depth with it.
Hitokiri

Postby Knives » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:14 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I am giving Blame! a read right now, and I am liking it, I will check out some of the other manga mentioned as well!
Knives

Postby Kami » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:22 pm

Hai =__=; Go W4J ~ Sorry Myoti >_> Not everyone likes OP.

Knives, I would suggest D.Gray Man o_O I really like that series, It's not really cyber-punk, but it's along the same lines as Bleach, amd stuff o.o; So~ I also agree with Hitokiri on Otogi Zoshi -- The manga was really good.

-Kami
FKA snowangel kamui

The future has yet to be determined...

" OHMYGOSH. Maybe it IS THE PHARMACIST. " -Me

" I swear. Sony and Nintendo have been fighting for years. They're like two fat kids wanting the last cupcake on earth. " - Me

Please visit mine and Yeito's site :
www.akame.iwarp.com
Kami

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:11 pm

You should try Black Cat. It's very good, though it's only on the third volume (the fourth is due out in September.)
WrestlingOtaku

Postby shojoiscool2 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:04 pm

the first volume of ES was cool- its about a man who was created by the government and can enter people's minds and control them. But I haven't seen the rest so I can't vouch for content. The first volume was somewhat violent, but it wasn't that bad. Probably 16 and up.
shojoiscool2

Postby Knives » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:16 am

Thanks guys, right now I am reading blame and I have read up through volume six. I will probably stick with this series for a while!
Knives

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:45 pm

WrestlingOtaku wrote:You should try Black Cat. It's very good, though it's only on the third volume (the fourth is due out in September.)

yeah. black cat's also a very good manga. but you might want to wait until several more volumes come out so you won't have to wait as long to buy them. if you get what i'm saying.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews