Tokyopop to make a Star Trek manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Tokyopop to make a Star Trek manga

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:47 am

Looks like Mitsuki Lover got his wish, sorta. There's a Tokyopop manga coming out based on the "Kirk period" of Star Trek. No I'm not making this up. It's one of their OEM titles (Original English Manga). It was in the latest Anime Insider's manga section.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby FadedOne » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:11 pm

haha, that's awesome! I want to read.
Cast in the name of God, ye not guilty.
~~~~~~
At the heart of mature [color=DarkOrchid]femininity
is a freeing disposition to affirm, receive and nuture strength and leadership from worthy men in ways appropriate to a woman's differing relationships.

At the heart of mature masculinity is a sense of benevolent responsibility to lead, provide for and protect women in ways appropriate to a man's differing relationships.[/color]

~~~~
Disclaimer: The comments of Lara, both on forum and chat, are random, unusual, and often sarcastic. Read with a pillar of salt. Thanks. :thumb:
FadedOne

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:33 pm

Ah, but who is writing it? That really makes all the difference. For me, the fact that it is "manga" has no real relevence; it will have to stand as a literary work on its own.
uc pseudonym

Postby That Dude » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:24 pm

I agree with UC.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:04 pm

I have some of the DC and Marvel comic versions of Trek including:
TOS
TNG
DS9
VOY
Lost Voyages,etc.
So you can see that I'm just waiting for this next version to get out of the gate.
Gotta have at least a few to add to my Trek collection.
mitsuki lover

Postby memmer66 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:51 pm

PLZ Lord SPARE US!!!!!!!

{Sushi}-san

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
memmer66

Postby Miso_Chan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:12 am

Ah, that is sad. I really don't think that they should be making a Star Trek Manga. I like the show (especially TNG) but I think that a manga would be overrated.
私は必死に日本への高等学校の外に移動することを希望し、日本の学生です。とにかく私の場合はより詳細な研究では、メインの仕方を知っているお問い合わせください!

私のお気に入りのアニメをしているカノンは、涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱ハチミツとクローバー、カウボーイビバップ.
Miso_Chan

Postby TrigunX89 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:14 pm

Tokyopop is really disappointing me...
TrigunX89

Postby Bobtheduck » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:01 pm

I loved Dark Horse's Star Wars Manga... I see nothing wrong with a Star Trek Manga... I'm more Star Wars fan than Trekkie, but I enjoy a little Trek...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Photosoph » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:04 pm

Well, my first impression to this news was "Wha...?" , but now I think I'll reserve my opinion until I see how it turns out. Although manga and Star Trek seem so... well, very far apart, who knows? It could turn out to be done quite well.
(0)>
((_\//
mm

[Quote=Photosoph]Well, t'was a good deduction, Mr. Holmes! *salutes Mr. Myoti Sherlock Homes* [/QUOTE]
Myoti wrote:Elementary, my dear Watsoph. XD

\(^_^)/
Still in rest and recovery mode. Posting may be sporadic at times. :pinned:
Photosoph

Location: Kiwiland... fighting for mankind in the battle of human vs. sheep.

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:24 pm

There has been more information about this for some time, actually. In case some of you haven't happened across it:
http://www.tokyopop.com/S-1719/1.html

I am relatively indifferent to everything except one sentence:
a group of teen, warrior-robot pilots

That does not bode well, in my mind.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:50 am

Yeah, there should only be two types of robots in the Star Trek universe: androids (like Data and Lore) and the Borg (ok, techincally they're cyborgs. But cyborgs are at least partially robotic)
And why the negativity towards Star Trek? When you think about it, lots of anime and manga owe some inspiration to the landmark series. The Seikai Trilogy (aka Banner of the Stars) is one example I know of.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby HisaishiFan » Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:07 pm

By Michelle
October 8, 2004 - 7:43 PM

Star Trek manga is on the way, featuring a new look for the series set in the time frame of The Next Generation, in a new anthology from Tokyopop.

Newsarama reported in its forums that Tokyopop is planning an anthology "featuring five stories that will clock in at around 50 pages each", in a standard anime-sized volume that's "a very Japanese looking/feeling." Editor Mark Paniccia said that the material would be quite different from previous incarnations of Star Trek comics: "There might be a familiar face but this is a very unorthodox approach to the property."

Paniccia sought out stories "from the far-flung corners of the Star Trek universe", featuring little-known or original characters. He sought both writers familiar with Star Trek who had never written for the franchise before as well as writers with experience writing Star Trek, but he felt the latter produced stories that had "little or no Trek feel to them" while the long-term Trek writers "weren't thinking out of the box enough." The Japanese publishing partners wanted more of an emphasis on main characters, so the final collection will include a mix of first time writers and some familiar names from Star Trek comics.

"Licensed manga editor Jake Forbes and myself contributed to the on-staff portion of the anthology - two stories - and Jim Alexander, Chris Dows and Mike Barr provided the remaining three," Paniccia explained. "Mike Barr came up with this cool and creepy space spider story that features the main cast and Jake did a great holodeck story with Worf in Feudal Japan...Scottish scribe Jim Alexander provided a kickin' Klingon battle story and I wrote a little tale that takes place in my favorite alternate reality, the Mirror Universe."

Thus far the manga focuses exclusively on The Next Generation, not Deep Space Nine and Voyager which are set during the same era. There is no release date set for this first anthology.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews