Hellsing MANGA

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Hellsing MANGA

Postby Mizu » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:06 pm

I know there are few Hellsing threads out there but not one on the Manga (for some reason >>)

Now I am a christian and my top favortite manga (and anime since the OVA came out) is Hellsing. :jump:

This thread will be about the following:

- Opinions
- Critique (NO FLAMES >< or ima eat you!!)
- Questions (>> i know all...hehehehe lol jk)
- or what you think is going to happen next @.@ since Kouta Hirano is a crazy man and i don't know how in the world he's gonna end it

anything about the OVA is good too.
:grin:
~Mizu
Mizu

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:11 pm

I dunno. I read the first volume of Hellsing when i saw that it was only rated "T" so i thought it wouldn't be TOO bad. it's quite violent and bloody though. I didn't really get into the manga that much and i thought that the art wasn't too good, though it probably gets better as the manga continues. I've seen the first episode of the anime too. not much to say about it. it's not high up there in my top manga list though. maybe that's cause i only read the first volume.
jon_jinn

Postby Mizu » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:25 pm

jon_jinn wrote:I dunno. I read the first volume of Hellsing when i saw that it was only rated "T" so i thought it wouldn't be TOO bad. it's quite violent and bloody though. I didn't really get into the manga that much and i thought that the art wasn't too good, though it probably gets better as the manga continues. I've seen the first episode of the anime too. not much to say about it. it's not high up there in my top manga list though. maybe that's cause i only read the first volume.

>> trust me, it gets more interesting in the 2nd one
~Mizu
Mizu

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:12 pm

well i guess i might give it a try sometime soon.
jon_jinn

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:52 pm

It's actually my favourite manga series right now. Vampires and Nazis and Priests, Oh My!
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Maledicte » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:47 am

One of my guilty pleasures. I must say that Kohta Hirano's art improved dramatically in only 3 volumes, and right now I think he's one of the best manga artists today.
Maledicte

Postby blue elf » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:47 am

The Hellsing manga is on my list of things I want to read, but I always end up buying something cheaper. ^^; I've seen the anime though, and I'm eagerly looking forward to the American release of the first OAV. Actually, I've been in a vampire mood for the past couple of weeks, so I may actually talk myself into buying some Hellsing graphic novels instead of just standing in the local Waldenbooks and skimming through them.
blue elf

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:21 pm

I read the manga... in a way. My reading of it is fairly haphazard, so at times I am very far behind and other times I am about caught up with Japan. Overall I enjoy it, though I would not object to a more substansive plot.

As far as the violence goes, that type of thing doesn't bother me. However, whereas in most manga my thought is "Please stop talking and actually fight" Hellsing is the only one in which I patiently go through the action to get to the talking. This is mainly because a lot of the rampages take so many pages.

I like Walter somewhat, but my current character of interest is the Nazi guy who appears to use the same style. You can imagine that I was irked that their fight wasn't shown. Also concerning recent events... (and let me say that this really is a spoiler, not just a minor thing)
[spoiler=Recent Hellsing Chapters]Alexander Anderson actually died? For some reason I expected him to be around significantly longer.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby Bap » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:03 pm

I've only read the first volume, and at first I didn't really like it, but the more I re-read it, the more I liked it. xD But there were other manga on my list of.. priorities I guess, so I just got left behind in Hellsing. D:
Bap

Postby Animus Seed » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:58 am

The manga is impressive (and the OVA, too) though as a Christian... I'm with-holding judgment until I find out just why is Dracula helping Van Helsing's grand-daughter? When I find out the answer to that question, I'll decide. Though until then I've been skimming the manga at the bookstores.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby blue elf » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:19 am

Animus Seed wrote:The manga is impressive (and the OVA, too) though as a Christian... I'm with-holding judgment until I find out just why is Dracula helping Van Helsing's grand-daughter? When I find out the answer to that question, I'll decide. Though until then I've been skimming the manga at the bookstores.

I thought he was helping because he had to. Isn't he bound to their family somehow? They did manage to keep him sealed up. Of course, as my personal opinion, I think Alucard also at least somewhat likes/respects Integra, and doesn't really mind helping her too much. Yes, I admit I'm a bit of a A x I shipper. :sweat:
blue elf

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:17 pm

For those of you who want the answer to that question:
[spoiler]It is revealed later on that the group of men that kill Dracula in Bram Stoker's original novel in this world fought and defeated Alucard. He refers to them as opponents against which he fought with all his power and was still defeated (this doesn't bother him; excites is more like it). So the implication is that because of that he will serve the Hellsing family.[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby blue elf » Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:18 am

I finally bought the first volume of the manga, and I think I already like it better than the TV series. The manga has much more humor in it. ^^

Also, I don't know if any of you know the answer to this question, but I was browsing the web yesterday, and I saw a pic from the prequal manga to Hellsing, which is called Hellsing: The Dawn. So, my question is this: what's up with girly Alucard??
blue elf

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:31 pm

Nothing, really. As far as I know, there as never been any official statement as to why The Dawn is drawn in this style and I am personally inclined to believe it is completely random. But I haven't been seriously reading the side story in any case, so someone else might be able to say more.
uc pseudonym

Postby Animus Seed » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:45 am

blue elf wrote:I finally bought the first volume of the manga, and I think I already like it better than the TV series. The manga has much more humor in it. ^^

Also, I don't know if any of you know the answer to this question, but I was browsing the web yesterday, and I saw a pic from the prequal manga to Hellsing, which is called Hellsing: The Dawn. So, my question is this: what's up with girly Alucard??

From what I've seen, the manga is much better than the series, at least just comparing volume 1 with the 1st episode, which is all of the anime I've seen. Well, if you're a Hellsing fan, then don't miss the OVA. I saw the first episode at AX06, and it's a direct anime translation of the manga. Good quality, and creepy, too.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:56 pm

I've been following this slightly... how many volumes are out in the US? I have up to 7, but I haven't seen any new ones for awhile. Is it on hiatus?
Kawaiikneko

Postby kyouki » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:44 am

[spoiler=Recent Hellsing Chapters]Alexander Anderson actually died? For some reason I expected him to be around significantly longer.[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Recent Hellsing Chapters-R]
I don't think he did. Well, last chapter was a bit confused, but I don't think the author would kill such a fruitful character so easly.[/spoiler]
kyouki

Postby blue elf » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:27 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:I've been following this slightly... how many volumes are out in the US? I have up to 7, but I haven't seen any new ones for awhile. Is it on hiatus?

Volume 7 is the most recent manga volume that's been released in English. I can't seem to find any release info on volume 8 at Amazon.com, so I figure Dark Horse may be waiting for the Japanese release to get a bit more ahead of the American one. I think the Japanese manga release is only a volume or two ahead of the American one, but I'm not positive.
blue elf

Postby Animus Seed » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:57 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:For those of you who want the answer to that question:
[spoiler]It is revealed later on that the group of men that kill Dracula in Bram Stoker's original novel in this world fought and defeated Alucard. He refers to them as opponents against which he fought with all his power and was still defeated (this doesn't bother him]

Thanks, uc. I was very curious about that.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Mizu » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:28 pm

whoa hey look at that ^^ yay! hellsing fan ppl!! :dance:
~Mizu
Mizu

Postby TrigunX89 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:45 am

I've read the first 2 volumes, and volume 3 is sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. So far I've enjoyed it. Volume 2 seemed a bit slower than volume 1 for some reason. It's very dark, and sometimes a little disturbing, but it has so much style and I love the artwork. I should start reading volume 3...
TrigunX89

Postby That Dude » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:21 pm

I enjoyed it...It was kinda violent but it's much better than the anime. And Kohta has some pretty funny parts added into the manga.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby HisaishiFan » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:58 pm

I've only read vols 1 and 2, but so far I like it better than the anime (lots more character and plot development, although character and plot development takes back seat to the action.) Not sure if I'll continue with it.
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:32 am

blue elf wrote:Volume 7 is the most recent manga volume that's been released in English. I can't seem to find any release info on volume 8 at Amazon.com, so I figure Dark Horse may be waiting for the Japanese release to get a bit more ahead of the American one. I think the Japanese manga release is only a volume or two ahead of the American one, but I'm not positive.

As far as I know, the japanese have been waiting on the collected GNs of vol.8 and 9 for a while as well. Darkhorse is waiting on Japan, but why Japan is taking so long beats me... :shake:
Ichigo_89

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:08 am

Ichigo_89 wrote:As far as I know, the japanese have been waiting on the collected GNs of vol.8 and 9 for a while as well. Darkhorse is waiting on Japan, but why Japan is taking so long beats me... :shake:

because the author of hellsing is extremely lazy. it took him a year to finish volume 3 and nine months to finish volume 4. volume 5 took him almost a year and a half. volume 6 took him nine months to finish and volume 8 took him a year and a half to finish. :drool:
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mizu » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:21 pm

>> no kidding. he said he fininsed Hellsing already! Oo he's just too lazy to get it edited and stuff.

Hellsing should finish in a year or two. ^^
~Mizu
Mizu

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:17 pm

Mizu wrote:>> no kidding. he said he fininsed Hellsing already! Oo he's just too lazy to get it edited and stuff.

Hellsing should finish in a year or two. ^^

then hellsing finishes at volume 9? or we don't know yet?
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mizu » Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:54 pm

no volume 10 i think Oo;
~Mizu
Mizu

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:13 pm

Are you sure about that? Not that I mistrust you or think that the manga absolutely needs thirty more volumes, but I like to go from official sources as much as possible. Really, at the moment it does seem to be winding down, with the current conflict having gone on for quite some time. If I had one complaint to make about Hellsing, it would be that the plot currently can be outlined as follows:
Fight
Fight
Fight
Fight
Fight
uc pseudonym

Postby Maledicte » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:15 am

uc pseudonym wrote: If I had one complaint to make about Hellsing, it would be that the plot currently can be outlined as follows:
Fight
Fight
Fight
Fight
Fight

Ah, but it's Fight betwen Protestants vs. Catholics vs. Nazi vampires vs. general wackos vs. some random South American guy. Oh.
Maledicte

Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews