666 Satan?! (Manga Series)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

666 Satan?! (Manga Series)

Postby Tommy » Mon May 29, 2006 9:58 am

I heard this was really good from other forums but....I really think the title is throwing me off. Is it actually good?

It has to be REALLY good if I read a series with THIS title, mind you.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Mon May 29, 2006 10:32 am

ummm that title kinda says NO but hey who know because i have also heard it is good
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Linksquest » Mon May 29, 2006 10:34 am

O_O! That title... scares me, a lot. I hadn't even heard of it until now. Even if it is good, I don't think I'd want to read something with that title.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Mon May 29, 2006 10:55 am

Here's some info on it... http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=3013
It still reminds me of Sandland, which BOREDED me to death :/
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Tommy » Mon May 29, 2006 11:12 am

It scared me as well.
Tommy

Postby Linksquest » Mon May 29, 2006 11:24 am

Wow... the plot just makes it all the more scary. I won't be checking this one out, for sure!
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.

Linksquest

Postby Tommy » Mon May 29, 2006 11:50 am

Well, it's a lot better than what I thought the plot would be.
Tommy

Postby MasterDias » Mon May 29, 2006 12:03 pm

I read a few volumes of this awhile back. The manga-ka is Seishi Kishimoto, the brother of Naruto's creator. As such, the story flow is similar to early Dragonball and the artstyle is similar to Naruto.

Viz licensed this recently and is going to release it in the U.S. as O-Parts Hunter...
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Tommy » Mon May 29, 2006 12:38 pm

So the title will be different?
That's the main reason I'm thrown off.
Tommy

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon May 29, 2006 7:12 pm

616 is Satan's number, not 666 as has been believed.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon May 29, 2006 7:32 pm

It's just your typical shounen quest/fighting series with some references to Judeo-Christian stuff. I read some of it, and didn't find anything particularly offensive about it. It's just terrible, is all.
Joshua Christopher

Postby jon_jinn » Mon May 29, 2006 7:37 pm

yep. the manga's actually pretty good. the story's (like MasterDias said) basically dragonball in a sandland world with a naruto-like art. the title also intimidated me but it wasn't all that bad.
jon_jinn

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon May 29, 2006 7:58 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:616 is Satan's number, not 666 as has been believed.
It depends on which manuscript you're using as to which of the two numbers of the beast (not really "satan's number) you take. Irenaeus, Bishop of Lyons in the second century, in his Against Heresies Book 5 chapter 30 demonstrates that both variants existed in his time, while he himself argues that the 666 is the true reading and the 616 is a copyist error where sixty was accidentally expanded into the number-letter iota which would be ten. Another possibility is that copyists in some circles changed the number to deal with language issues in the identification of the Beast, that is that though NRWN KSR ("Nero Caesar") has a value of 666, while the Greek equivalent Neron Kaiser has a value of 616. To be sure though, Irenaeus comments in chapter 30 that the "ancient" copies have 666 and that the men who knew John personally testify to the number being 666.

As to the title of the manga, it sounds to me like a case of a creator mostly ignorant of Christianity who learns that this number has a certain shock value for Westerners and makes up a story based on it.
GhostontheNet

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue May 30, 2006 7:20 am

I find it kind of ignorant for people to automatically judge this title simply by the name if it.

It looks interesting, but I don't think I'll put my time in it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Linksquest » Tue May 30, 2006 7:39 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:I find it kind of ignorant for people to automatically judge this title simply by the name if it.

It looks interesting, but I don't think I'll put my time in it.

Well... I wouldn't say that... Judging books by covers is often done in ignorance, but with a title like 666 Satan... I can't believe that wouldn't make you the slightest but skeptical.

honestly, would you really read a manga called "Satan's Bible"
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

Linksquest

Postby Joshua Christopher » Tue May 30, 2006 10:39 am

Linksquest wrote:Well... I wouldn't say that... Judging books by covers is often done in ignorance, but with a title like 666 Satan... I can't believe that wouldn't make you the slightest but skeptical.

honestly, would you really read a manga called "Satan's Bible"

Oftentimes a series can be named after a villain or something. I've read some of this and it *isn't* some Satanic, Devil-worshipping manga. It's just your basic shounen adventure/figthing manga, the only real difference being the Judeo-Christian names that are given to certain things in the story. Like I said before, it's just a terrible manga anyway.

There's your Naruto-lookin' hero.

Jio is a young boy interested in achieving one thing: to conquer the world. He meets the treasure hunter Ruby Crescent and soon learns about the amazing weapons O-Parts and those who are able to use these weapons O.P.T.S. Jio 's dark and lonely past lead him to trust nothing in the world except for money and himself however he later finds himself travelling with Ruby (rather reluctantly) as her bodyguard. After a short time together, Jio and Ruby part ways (as Ruby runs out of money to pay Jio for being a bodyguard) but almost immediantly Ruby is kidnapped by the man with 666 on his forehead, Satan. Jio attempts to rescue Ruby, realizing that he himself is a O.P.T.S. but is beaten quickly by a strong O-Part. Immediantly after this, the numbers 666 appear on Jio's forehead, revealing that Jio is the real devil Satan and instantly defeats the fake Satan. Jio decides to continue travelling with Ruby until she can pay him for being a bodyguard.

Hey, Naruto has a Demon Fox inside of him, too.

This manga is utter drivel.
Joshua Christopher

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 30, 2006 1:52 pm

I'd be a bit kinder to it - derivative, certainly (painfully so when compared to Naruto), but not utter drivel. At least, I thought some of the elements that have been introduced more recently have more worth to them.

As that implies, I do read the manga (though sometimes I wonder why I bother). Basically, the only connection is that there is a monster in the protagonist. It has nothing to do with Christianity; this is only another example of an author pilfering random elements from another culture. Recently there has been some more philosophy-based stuff regarding the Kabbalah, but this has been far from theological. I can answer more specific questions if people want.
uc pseudonym

Postby Tigerchu » Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:16 am

It is? Why is it?
Have faith
-From somewhere in the Bible, and I agree with it

-God will only give you what you can take. He will not overwhelm you.
-From somewhere in the Bible

-Your faith becomes stronger when it's tested.
-I saw a Chinese guy with a cross on his restaurant desk in America. That's so cool. You can do that here. Not so much China.

I've recently been learning that I don't need to be "loud and pushy" to Evangelize; just living it out is enough witness. The problem was that I grew up around strong Evangelists (Korean Christians) and they were really into getting people involved and setting out to Evangelize, and me being a a yes-man (or yes woman) I was into trying to convert people.
I've been learning this lesson over the years, but have been trying to be pushy. Now I'm trying to ease off.
Tigerchu

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:40 am

Bah it just looks like another naruto wanna be.
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby Authority3000 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:33 pm

That is a theologically debatable issue and bares no relevance to this topic.
Authority3000

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:42 pm

Authority3000 wrote:That is a theologically debatable issue and bares no relevance to this topic.

much agreed.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Myoti » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:29 pm

This one actually sounds slightly appealing. Not something I'll really get into it, but the synopsis does peak my interest a bit.
Myoti

Postby Zarn Ishtare » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:03 pm

While I'm not trying to be rude Authority, Ghost was merely making a point, and a good one at that, and the manner of your response engenders no good feelings.

More to the point, I've seen this manga, and it's nothing to look at for more than a minute. If you really need something to read, go buy Inverloch, which is published now, or the first compilation of Penny Arcade....Or for manga, go check out the unbelievable fun that is "Sexy Voice". I can't promise about the content, because I've only read abit of it, but from what I have read it looks really good-and funny.

Just my two cents.
With your doubt, all is comfort
We are all as we appear
No more questions left unanswered
No more wonder, no more fear
Nothing is beauty, nothing's feeling
Blood where there once was a soul
So I ask you, prove yourself
Make me believe that you are whole
Zarn Ishtare

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:21 am

I'll request that the number topic be left entirely in this forum, though I do urge some of you to send PMs to one another if you feel it is necessary.
uc pseudonym

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews