help me! please! XD;

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

help me! please! XD;

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:52 pm

okay, I need some serious help XD; I havn't read any manga or watched any anime in over a month and it's killling me, badly and quickly. I was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on manga. I'm looking for anything thing that includes good art, at least some comedy, and little or no sexual content or nudity that could freak out an overly-protective parent.

I was looking towards Love Hina but I'm afraid my parents would say "no" because of the fanservice. (gotta hate fanservice e.e) maybe Spiral but I know nothing about the manga but I've heard it's good. . . so yeah, I'm looking towards something close to that. I don't mind violence at all, I actually like it, but I'm just trying to find something that wouldn't upset my parents with the nudity or sexual content and something that has good art. so, any suggestions, please? XD
CrimsonRyu17

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:10 pm

Well, it might look silly and childish from the cover, but Yotsub&! is one spectacularly funny manga. I, my two younger sisters, and our brother enjoy this manga. It's basically about the escapdes, adventures, and everday wonders of life as viewed through the eyes of a zany, green haired little girl named Yotsuba. Someone once told me that this manga was like the joy of life in illustrated form. I'd say I agree with that. This manga is one of the few that made me laugh out loud. Hard. Give it a try! Overlordess Osaka Demands it!

Okay, she doesn't demand it, but she strongly suggests it. ;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Lynx » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:15 pm

i totally agree with yotsuba&!

azumanga daioh is pretty good to, it's really funny. it's in a four panel format, check out the other thread about it!
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:52 pm

Bleach is good. I don't think it's very funny since it's mainly a fighting manga. There's a little nudity later on in the series (around volume 16) but it's undetailed and there's a lot of smoke. It probably more mild than Naruto's ninja centerfold. There's some sexual comments and one of the characters is a lesbian but you should check the Bleach manga review for more info. It's an excellent manga.
jon_jinn

Postby Sai » Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:50 pm

Merupuri is really pretty but... it has some umm, well its not really sexual content exactly but its not good either. They have a review of it in the Manga Reviews spot, i think. Naruto is really good, there is the Ninja centerfold but its not used often. What have you read so far???
"Bother"
Sai

Postby Myoti » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:02 pm

Like I've told you before, check the One Piece manga. It's quite good, funny, great plot (despite how "simple" it may seem at first) and has quite a unique art style.

Some cussing and alot of blood (no gore, though), and I think most of the innapropriate content was removed (though there wasn't alot to begin with).

Check it out. NOW.

(And scratch out any reference to "Zolo" it may have. :p )

Bleach is good. I don't think it's very funny since it's mainly a fighting manga.

Bleach is quite funny. Like, One Piece-esque random funny.

It does have quite a few... stuff, in it though (like the lesbo O.- ), but it's still pretty good.
Myoti

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:51 pm

Well, I'm going to third the suggestions of Yotsuba&!. It's SO funny, and really cute, too! It's also the cleanest manga on the shelves right now, I believe. XD I'll also suggest Rurouni Kenshin, if you haven't read it yet, DO so. You'll love it. :D

Also, I'll re-suggest Full Moon wo Sagashite. Because it's clean and lovely. :D

Oh, and while I'm here, I'll suggest Tsubasa Chronicle. It's very action-based, though there is a prominent love story, too. I haven't read the entire thing, but I've enjoyed what I have read, and there's been no fanservice at all. Hope you find something you like! :D
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kami » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:00 pm

I agree with all of the above ^ :D I'm going to suggest a new manga out by the same manwha-ka as KillMe<3KissMe Lee Young Yuu -- Priceless ! It's very cute and has good art too- In my opinion-

Lagoon Engine and Lagoon Engine: Einsatz are VERY pretty-- Done by Yukiru Sugisaki.

Another I would suggest is Ghost Hunt, and from the cover, It looks iffish-- but the storyline is good, and it's about Ghosts >.>; ... Lol.

- Kami
FKA snowangel kamui

The future has yet to be determined...

" OHMYGOSH. Maybe it IS THE PHARMACIST. " -Me

" I swear. Sony and Nintendo have been fighting for years. They're like two fat kids wanting the last cupcake on earth. " - Me

Please visit mine and Yeito's site :
www.akame.iwarp.com
Kami

Postby everdred12a » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:16 pm

I haven't seen it anywhere yet, so I'll go ahead and suggest DNAngel. I just got into it recently and I bought up to volume 4, and I can't think of anything really wrong with it. No language problems I can remember, no nudity, no fanservice. It got me hooked pretty quickly, though it is a romance/action sort of thing, and I don't know if that's what you're looking for.

everdred12a

Postby Destiny » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:21 pm

DNAngel is good! I second that one! Fruits Basket... but you've probably read that, and it gets 'iffy' parts later in the volumes. Ouran Host Club is REALLY funny... But that has some 'iffy' parts too.
Do you yearn for magic? Saint Cloud

The Page Turner Radio Play
:?:
Destiny

Postby Arnobius » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:26 pm

Yotsuba&, Azumanga Daioh are great. I like Excel Saga too. After that I'm out of ideas. Marmelade Boy was another good one.

Akira was excellent, but if your parents object to violence and profanity it might not be good.
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:16 am

Radical Dreamer wrote:
Also, I'll re-suggest Full Moon wo Sagashite. Because it's clean and lovely. :D

Overall, it's a pretty clean series. However, there are some slightly questionable elements, such as the fact that [spoiler]one character is having an affair with a married man and we briefly see her in her bra. Also, there's one relatively mildly depicted molestation. [/spoiler] That would be the most suggestive element in that series which I can think of right now. It's a great series, but if CR is looking for something devoid of any questionable content, she might want to wait on that one for a little while.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kkun » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:56 am

I so agree with the suggestions of Yotsuba& and Azumanga Daioh. Allow me to also suggest Ultra Maniac (it's about a witch, but it's cute and not dark, if you're cool with that) which is very clean, and funny.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby MyrrhLynn » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:33 am

Whistle (if you think you will like a soccer manga) I'm suprised no one else suggested it. It not all about sports, and there is some good comedy too. I can't think of anything your parents wouldn't like about it.

I think DNAngel is pretty safe nudity wise, it's got some mumbo jumbo religious-ish stuff though. Tactics is a great anime, but the manga is totally getting destroyed by ADV so don't get it. :lol:

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Tommy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:58 pm

BoBoBo-BoBo-BoBo.

And someone define "Fanservice" ,please.
Tommy

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:11 pm

Fanservice is a vaguely defined term used in visual media — particularly in anime fandom —to refer to elements in a story that are unnecessary to a storyline, but designed to amuse or excite the audience. That could be cameo appearances by other characters, unnecessary but cool fight scenes, omake cartoons, etc.

HOWEVER, the term more commonly refers to panty/underwear shots, nudity, and other sexual innuendo that adds nothing to the storyline, but is merely meant to arouse the reader.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tommy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:16 pm

Ala GANTZ.

Dang, GANTZ would be such a great series without the fanservice.
Tommy

Postby CrimsonRyu17 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:47 pm

oh, sorry I hadn't replied in such a while. and thanks for all the suggestions. as for what I'm looking for: just about anything that doesn't have SC or nudity that can freak my parents out. I don't mind romance at all actually, just as long as it's alright. and as in "alright", well, you know what I mean. but thanks for the reviews, they're really helpful! \o.o/
CrimsonRyu17

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews