Naruto

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Naruto

Postby Vash_Stamped » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:32 pm

Ok who likes the manga more than the anime????
Vash_Stamped

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:01 pm

As far as I've got in both the anime and manga, it's probably the BEST manga-anime series I've seen... To say one's better than the other is saying you'd just rather read than watch it^^

EDIT: oh wait, just realized if you're talking dub wise, well then, that is a COMPLETELY different story^^
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:05 pm

Well, the anime added Konohamaru, who contributes nothing to the storyline and is irritating, so I do slightly prefer the manga because of the lack of the useless annoying kid.

And what's wrong with the dub?

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:11 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Well, the anime added Konohamaru, who contributes nothing to the storyline and is irritating, so I do slightly prefer the manga because of the lack of the useless annoying kid.

And what's wrong with the dub?

Haven't actually seen it, nor really want to, but if the person prefers the manga to the show, assuming it was because of edited violence or something? *shrugs*

Konohamaru... he been in the manga too a few times already though hasn't he? I think to only big difference I noticed was introducing Hinata and... *forgets name at moment* Sakura's rival earlier on in the show.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:13 pm

As far as I remember, Konohamaru isn't in the manga at all. Or if he was he played such a tiny role in the story that he was essentially nonexistant.

Nate

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:37 pm

well, konohamaru is in the second chapter of naruto (duh!!) and he later comes in when they first introduce gaara, kankuro, and tenmari. he's in the anime a lot more but i don't really think he's that annoying. anyways, i believe the manga's better since the anime's been having fillers and side stories for the past like 30-40 episodes and it's gotten pretty annoying. i don't find the side stories to be very interesting either. also, i don't think the dubbing was the best. after watching like 130 episodes of subbed naruto, i saw the first episode and cried. the way they stress the words and accents and stuff, it's so very easy to tell that they did a horrible job in the dubbing. they edited out most of the violence so that younger kids could watch it and they screwed up the opening and ending themes with these wierd songs. could it get any worse? i prefer the manga hands down.
jon_jinn

Postby Nate » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:48 pm

Geez, another dub basher? I hate to get on my standard soap box again, but you leave me no choice.

1) They did an EXCELLENT job in the dubbing. All the voice actors pronounced all the words correctly, which is commendable (aside from the guy who does the Toonami robot's voice, but since he isn't in the show, he doesn't count). The voices were well-cast too. The only one that is slightly irritating is Sakura, but since I thought her Japanese voice was annoying too, that hardly counts. She's supposed to be annoying.

2) Yes, they edited out the violence, because Naruto is a CHILDREN'S SHOW. The thing you don't understand is that Naruto is a show for KIDS in Japan. This is why it did not get on Adult Swim, because Adult Swim is for ADULT shows and Naruto is a KIDS' show. There IS a difference between what is deemed acceptable content in Japan and America, forcing them to tone down the violence. But you know what? The amount of violence that was left in was actually above what I would have expected. They use the words "kill" and "die" instead of "destroy" or "take down." They leave in blood, though not a LOT, it IS in there. What, so you're complaining Ebisu didn't have a huge geyser of blood when he saw Naruto's jutsu? That hardly constitutes "butchering."

3) Apparently you don't know ANYTHING about how licensing works. In order to keep the same opening and ending songs to the anime, they would have had to pay royalties to the bands that made those songs. That costs MONEY. And not a tiny amount of money either, a sizable sum of money. It's far easier to make their own opening and ending songs than to pay huge sums of money to people. Hey, they kept in ALL the original music other than the opening and ending, so why are you complaining anyway? If they replaced the entire soundtrack, yeah, I could see complaints, but they didn't.

It COULD get worse. Look at One Piece, which is an example of horrible editing, lousy changes, etc. If 4Kids had gotten their hands on Naruto, it would have been disastrous.

Viz treated Naruto like it was GOLD. They gave it the BEST treatment, the BEST voice actors, kept in practically EVERYTHING, and edited VERY little. It is the BEST dub a person could ask for. I'm sick and tired of people bashing the dub JUST because it's in English. If anime companies see people complaining over one of the best dubs on the market, know what they're going to say? "Fans are complaining no matter how well we treat anime, so why bother licensing it? They're just going to whine no matter how good a job we do, so it isn't worth it." Then, anime stops getting licensed, and it becomes a niche market again, impossible to find. I don't want that to happen, and it makes me sick when anime fans bash a dub JUST because it's a dub.

Nate

Postby Tommy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:03 pm

^ Amen, man! You just summed up all.

BTW, Kae, Konohamura is in the manga and as the series progresses, the violence is edited less and less. The fight with Haku and Zabuza is surprisinly bloody, and jon jinn has some spoilers in his last message.
Tommy

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:54 pm

Art is in the eye of the beholder, get over it.

They talk forever in the anime. I prefere the manga.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby everdred12a » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:03 pm

I don't dislike the manga or the anime, but the only thing about the dub that bothers me is when Naruto says, "Believe it!" I don't know, but just something about the combination of the phrase and the voice bothers me. I don't dislike the VA either, it's just that one thing...

everdred12a

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:04 pm

Exposing myself to both fansubs and scanlations. They are pretty much 100% identical. The only difference being that the anime has filler episodes.

About the dubs, some voices are tolerable, but a fair share (like Millie) just make my ears bleed. Sakura is a bit iffy, as well as Kakashi. I'd have to say that sasuke has a good voice actor.

I'm getting sick of naruto to be honest >_> FOUR MORE EPISODES TILL THE KAKASHI RENDAN!!!!!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:53 pm

kaemmerite wrote:Geez, another dub basher? I hate to get on my standard soap box again, but you leave me no choice.

1) They did an EXCELLENT job in the dubbing. All the voice actors pronounced all the words correctly, which is commendable (aside from the guy who does the Toonami robot's voice, but since he isn't in the show, he doesn't count). The voices were well-cast too. The only one that is slightly irritating is Sakura, but since I thought her Japanese voice was annoying too, that hardly counts. She's supposed to be annoying.

2) Yes, they edited out the violence, because Naruto is a CHILDREN'S SHOW. The thing you don't understand is that Naruto is a show for KIDS in Japan. This is why it did not get on Adult Swim, because Adult Swim is for ADULT shows and Naruto is a KIDS' show. There IS a difference between what is deemed acceptable content in Japan and America, forcing them to tone down the violence. But you know what? The amount of violence that was left in was actually above what I would have expected. They use the words "kill" and "die" instead of "destroy" or "take down." They leave in blood, though not a LOT, it IS in there. What, so you're complaining Ebisu didn't have a huge geyser of blood when he saw Naruto's jutsu? That hardly constitutes "butchering."

3) Apparently you don't know ANYTHING about how licensing works. In order to keep the same opening and ending songs to the anime, they would have had to pay royalties to the bands that made those songs. That costs MONEY. And not a tiny amount of money either, a sizable sum of money. It's far easier to make their own opening and ending songs than to pay huge sums of money to people. Hey, they kept in ALL the original music other than the opening and ending, so why are you complaining anyway? If they replaced the entire soundtrack, yeah, I could see complaints, but they didn't.

It COULD get worse. Look at One Piece, which is an example of horrible editing, lousy changes, etc. If 4Kids had gotten their hands on Naruto, it would have been disastrous.

Viz treated Naruto like it was GOLD. They gave it the BEST treatment, the BEST voice actors, kept in practically EVERYTHING, and edited VERY little. It is the BEST dub a person could ask for. I'm sick and tired of people bashing the dub JUST because it's in English. If anime companies see people complaining over one of the best dubs on the market, know what they're going to say? "Fans are complaining no matter how well we treat anime, so why bother licensing it? They're just going to whine no matter how good a job we do, so it isn't worth it." Then, anime stops getting licensed, and it becomes a niche market again, impossible to find. I don't want that to happen, and it makes me sick when anime fans bash a dub JUST because it's a dub.

okay, okay. i get it. you've made your point. i was just stating what i personaly thought about the dubbing but since you backed all of your opinions with all these facts, i have no reason to argue.
also, i didn't notice that i said some spoilers in the last post. i will edit it right away. my apologies to those who saw it and didn't know it would happen.
jon_jinn

Postby Ssjjvash » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:01 pm

I prefer the manga. Lately, I have begun to appreciate the black and white drawing instead of colored comics.
Anyway....
I would like the anime better if Naruto would quit saying "Believe it!" all the time. I can't stand it. I've tried and tried, but I can't take listening to it.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Ichigo_89 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:06 am

I always say, go with the original material. Adaptions are usually not as good. Look at DBZ: Worked horribly as an anime adaption, but as a shonen manga, it's quite readable. And there's Cowboy Bebop: Fantastic anime, but the manga adaption barely came close.

So yeah, definately the manga for me. ^_^
Ichigo_89

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:12 am

Even without the fillers (which I've been ignoring) I prefer the manga. It moves much faster overall, so to me it is more enjoyable. I also feel that most of the action sequences work better in the manga and the anime, which shouldn't be. A good example is the bell-fight between Kakashi and Sasuke. That should have taken a few seconds total, but because it is dragged out it isn't as effective.

Also, considering that the facts about the dub have been well-stated, let's move on from this topic.
uc pseudonym

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:51 am

I prefer the manga because (like uc said) I think the action sequences work better on the page than on TV. All the dialogue and exposition and flashbacks that gets crammed into the fights is easy to take in writting, because you can step outside the linear progression of time as you process it all. In anime, where you actually have to sit and listen to the characters stop and expound on all this it really wrecks the pacing. Also, the realities of anime production mean that an animated action sequence has little chance of adequately expressing the level of movement a good manga can suggest (which is hardly a new thing)

And... oh, what the heck, I'll just say it and risk the kaemmerite wrath. I can't stand the acting in the anime. That's not a "I hate dubs" statement, I've never heard the Japanese version and couldn't care less that the English version isn't that. All I know is what I hear when I turn on Naruto is very annoying. The worst dub ever? Hardly, but that doesn't change the fact that it's not that great. Same goes for the opening and closing themes. I know nothing about the Japanese soundtrack, but that's not necessary to hear that the present song isn't very good. (speaking of which, it's easy to see how people can be annoyed with the change when just a few hours later the Adult Swim shows somehow manage to retain their themes in at least some form. It's a very petty point to make, but if I didn't make it someone else whould have)

To say something nice about the anime, I like the additional material added for the secondary characters. Yes, much of it reaks of filler, but anything that makes Hinata at least a little more prominent can't be all bad, right?
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Silent Hunter » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:06 am

I like manga more than anime, I think, so far at least.

[color=#000000]Me: "Hey, what's her last name?"

Brett: "Doesn't matter. It's going to change anyway."

Brett: "Why do they call it tourist season if you can't shoot them?"

[/color]
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Silent Hunter

Postby Wise Dragon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:48 am

The manga deffinitely. I would much rather it be called Dopplegangers than Clones. it just urks me to hear that. Not to mention kakashi was my favorite character and they used the same voice actor as what they did with Raiden in Metal Gear Solid 2 so now i just make this wierd connecton of kakashi running around naked inside a huge mech. That just disturbs me.
Come see me on Myspace if you want to and if you want to add me to your buddy list send me a note saying your from CAA otherwise Ill probably just end up ignoring you.

http://www.myspace.com/neo_dragon

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today.
It's already tomorrow in Australia." (Charles Schultz)

"If you could obtain perfection then you would never get any better." (Wise Dragon)

"I never wanted to be the next Bruce Lee. I just wanted to be the first Jackie-chan." (Jackie-chan)
Wise Dragon

Location: North Carolina (Lost in the vast empty wasteland of my mind.)

Postby Myoti » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:59 pm

I would much rather it be called Dopplegangers than Clones. it just urks me to hear that.

Huh? Dopplegangers isn't the correct translation at all. I can see where they were going with it, but "Doppleganger" refers to someone who looks like another, which makes no sense with the move, as he's "cloning" himself, not looking like someone else.
Myoti

Postby Nate » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:22 pm

Agreed. They are very much not doppelgangers. They are clones. A doppelganger is a malicious spirit that shadows a person, and seeing one foretells the person's death.

Alternatively, doppelganger also refers to a creature that shapeshifts to mimic a person it sees.

Since the clones Naruto makes are neither malicious omens of his own death, nor shapeshifters, they are not doppelgangers, but clones.

Nate

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:25 pm

I like the manga better because I found the animation style kinda cheap looking... of course I've only watched the beginning of the dub and with these sorts of shows the animation tends to get better as it gets more popular and gets a higher budget...

The monologuing gets on my nerves when I actually have to listen to it though. Like stated earlier, I find it much easier to read it myself, and it doesn't feel so out of place like it does in the anime. In a real fight you wouldn't monologue, and that's why it sounds weird in the anime. When I'm reading manga I can read fast enough that it doesn't cross my mind. The action sequences also go much smoother in the manga, which is a little sad. That's usually the opposite of what happens.
Kawaiikneko

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:35 pm

everdred12a wrote:I don't dislike the manga or the anime, but the only thing about the dub that bothers me is when Naruto says, "Believe it!" I don't know, but just something about the combination of the phrase and the voice bothers me. I don't dislike the VA either, it's just that one thing...

Does Naruto really say "Believe it" in the original version? I know they did the same with Rurouni Kenshin with his "that it is" or "That you should" terminology, but is it the same with Naruto?

Oh yeah, Naruto's V/A is Maile Flanagan. From what I see, she hasn't been in any other anime. I could be wrong!
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:17 am

I agree with basically everything you said, Kawaiikneko.

Wise Dragon wrote:I would much rather it be called Dopplegangers than Clones.

Interesting. You're the first person I have heard who prefers doppelganger. I don't particularly care, myself. Jutsu in Naruto aren't particularly brilliantly named in any case.

On this subject, Dictionary.com's first definition of doppelganger doesn't seem quite so off:
A ghostly double of a living person, especially one that haunts its fleshly counterpart.
uc pseudonym

Postby Nate » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:47 pm

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:Does Naruto really say "Believe it" in the original version? I know they did the same with Rurouni Kenshin with his "that it is" or "That you should" terminology, but is it the same with Naruto?

I believe Naruto says "Dattebaiyo!" or something along those lines in the original. From what I have heard, apparently this is a nonsense word with no particular meaning in Japanese, though it CAN be ROUGHLY translated to "and twice that!" or something along those lines (not particularly sure on that one, feel free to correct me). Given the nature of the phrase, "Believe it" is a decent translation, not so much in its literalness but in the general feel of what the phrase conveys.

Nate

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:09 am

I don't know Japanese, but I did see a fair number of the subbed episodes. If the "Believe it" phrase is really "dattebayo" I can assure you that this is said a ridiculous number of times. Even in Japanese I got sick of it (and I was assuming it was a basic part of sentence structure that in Japanese ends up at the end of sentences).
uc pseudonym

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:48 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I don't know Japanese, but I did see a fair number of the subbed episodes. If the "Believe it" phrase is really "dattebayo" I can assure you that this is said a ridiculous number of times. Even in Japanese I got sick of it (and I was assuming it was a basic part of sentence structure that in Japanese ends up at the end of sentences).

Yeah...EVERYONE in Japan always says "And twice that!" :shake: I think they're trying to introduce a new phrase in the lexicon.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews