Evangelion: Angelic Days?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Evangelion: Angelic Days?

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:15 pm

Ok first off you're probably thinking "She's crazy! Posting a topic on a series that's off the 'do not discuss list'!" And yes, this topic will undoubtly be locked, but you see, it's a little different (lemme explain).

My question on the topic (since I would like some answers and this seems like the only way I can go along and do it) is on this NEW Evangelion manga that takes places in a COMPLETELY different and alternate universe! In fact, it's more of a fluffy and happier series! A new release from ADV manga. And my question is: does this particular manga have similar controversial issues as the anime/orginal manga did?

Being an alternate story, this specific series may not even be the same at all! It probably is, but I'm asking the question so maybe someone that knows more about it can give me some input on it. Actually, since the whole "Second Impact" thing never happened in this series, I'm thinking that it's more of a romance series between the characters :/ And since this particular manga isn't exactly on the list... might actually be a single topic (possibly) that is allowed to be discussed, if it turns out to be alright (doubtful, since the anime will probably be brought up).

So being a bit of an iffy question/topic, if this topic gets locked before I can get some answers, if you can PM me about it, that would be great^^
Tenshi no Ai

Postby everdred12a » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:22 pm

I've read the first three chapters of Girlfriend of Steel 2 (it's a reflex to call it that because that's one of the Japanese names for it), and while it does retain a *much* lighter, and somewhat happier mood than the series itself, it still has some of the bigger plot points in it, such as the angels and whatnot. And yes, it does focus on romance and character relationships in a romantic sense more than the previous series, but still with all the other stuff going on. I read it back when it was still being scanlated, but I never found the 4th chapter (which is as far as the series goes, as far as I know). I hope they plan to release this in graphic novel format, because I *REFUSE* to pay $100's of dollars to collect the whole series via NewType magazine. I still have the scanlated downloads of 1-3, so if you want to know about content or anything in specific, ask and I'll try to tell you what I can (without spoiling the story, of course ^_^).

everdred12a

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:36 pm

Well like I said, ADV licensed it, and there ar 5 volumes... but with saying that the angels and stuff are still involved, I'm sure that the other stuff will follow so thanks for the bit of info^^
Tenshi no Ai

Postby everdred12a » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:43 pm

Oops, I meant the first three volumes. Not chapters. I haven't read it in awhile (a year or two), but I don't remember there being much religious content in it as compared to the original. My suggestion would be to sit down and read a volume or so at a bookstore and decide for yourself whether you want to check out the series (not trying to sound rude here, sorry).

everdred12a

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:47 pm

everdred12a wrote: Not chapters. I haven't read it in awhile (a year or two), but I don't remember there being much religious content in it as compared to the original.

Well that can be good thing... might look into it depends.
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Arnobius » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:06 pm

I've seen part of that one. It's more of an alternate universe lighter romantic comedy, or at least that's how it looked skimming through volume 1 at Kinokuniya. If that is what it's about I'd consider buying it
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:05 am

If you're unsure of whether a topic is appropriate or not, please PM someone on staff. But overall, if a series is on the DNDL list, assume that you're not permitted to make a thread about it. If you feel it's very important that this franchse of NGE be discussed, please have that approved by a mod before make a thread about it.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews