Scanslations

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Scanslations

Postby wiggins » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:58 am

hey guys! What are your views on manga scanslations? Are they legal? Is downloading them wrong and un-Christian? :bang:
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby inkhana » Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:58 am

It's no worse than a fansub, I guess.

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby Gypsy » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:19 am

Well, my view is this on both of them: I'll buy fansubs or download scanslations of a series that is not available yet in the US. When it does become available, I'll buy the real thing. For instance, I have some Zelda Doujinshi* that is absolutely gorgeous, but it's never been officially translated (and never will be) into English. In this case, I downloaded the scanslations.

But if the series is available to buy, I don't like the idea of downloading scans of it. Maybe you want to find out what the series is like before buying it ... um, I'd check the library first, or read half of it in the bookstore (I'm convinced that Borders put the chair in the manga section just for me :sweat: ) before using a scanslation site.

If unreleased scanslations gets you hooked on a good series, that's great. But I hope it get's you hooked enough to buy the real deal when it becomes available.

*Doujinshi is almost always associated with hentai. Just clearing up that "doujinshi" means a manga written, drawn, and published by fans. I do not have hentai Zelda scanslations, I have a perfectly clean Zelda manga made by fans. It's really good too! Here's a sample of the art:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

Postby otaku » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:42 am

doujinshi is normally free on net via fans unless marked for sale at place like mandarak.co.jp fans also sell them and stuff. I see nothing wrong as long as its unlicensed in usa i will dl and stuff. if its licensed I get from library,borrow or buy
May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
otaku

Postby Fsiphskilm » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:17 am

Well, technically,
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

I dont thinks so...but thats just my view

Postby Eden » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:39 am

Technically they aren't illegal to download, seeing as the author hasn't licenced there manga with any kind of company yet and only being sold in Japan the artists work isn't protected by international copyright law but japanese copyright law.

Most Scanlation groups stop scanning IF a manga has become licenced, or if they have scaned the whole series and then it becomes licenced they take it down from their site. The only problem is that some FSERVES on IRC channels dont! and they keep leaching manga to warez kiddiez.

Eden
Eden

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews