Chobits...as bad as Absolute Boyfriend?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Chobits...as bad as Absolute Boyfriend?

Postby Momo-P » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:36 am

Chobits...a very big name among anime and manga fans. For years now I've loved this title and even own the entire anime and manga series, but recently I've become a bit interested.

You see, lately many people have been comparing Chobits to Zettai Kareshi (Absolute Boyfriend), saying it's as foul and disgusting, that it's messed up because Hideki's involved with a persocom and Riiko's involved with a robot...but are they really the same?

So far I've read up to volume five of Absolute Boyfriend, actually finding some of it funny and enjoyable at times, but now I've decided to stop. AS is humorous, but the fact Riiko actually does have sex with him in the end crossed the line for me and I just said no. Chobits however...it doesn't seem as bad.

For starters, the Chobits manga does involve some nudity, but most of it is for humor, and depending on how you handle nudity and your sense of humor, it might not be a big deal. There's also the fact that, yes, the main character falls inlove with a "robot" but unlike Zettai Kareshi...[spoiler]He does not sleep with it. The whole plot of Chobits was to find Chii someone who would love her, and not care about having sex. If Hideki even does, Chii would restart and he would lose her....in fact, I can't say Hideki even kissed Chii on the lips at any point of the story--manga or anime.[/spoiler]

Now...true it's just a few minor differences, but they're quite large differences. But still, do you think these manga are equally bad? In fact, does the Bible even talk about relationships like that? I mean, obviously robots and stuff didn't exist back then, but all I remember is that you shouldn't have sex with anything non-human...and well...Chobits doesn't break that rule. o_o; Sure it's possible other characters in the story could have with their persocoms, but it's never said so you can't say they're breaking the rules still.

So really, are these manga just as bad? Or is it just people who haven't even bothered to read it themselves to see? Personally I love Chobits and think it's very cute, but the only thing that worries me is that if there's a rule about loving something non-human. But what about anyone who actually has knowledge of either of these series? What do you think?
Momo-P

Postby Shadowchild » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:38 am

i have never heard of that boyfriend whozit thing but chobits is a really good story to read if u have the controll over yourself to handle hideki's bad behavior.
[color=indigo]ADOPTED BY:Nami, CephasVII, spectroking, Starfire1
ADOPTED: teen4truth, spirit-me-away, ky kiske, Sage_AlKahira, dragon's bane, phinny5608, mastersquirrel, LeaChan-4ever, Dytae, Tom Dincht, Jack Bond, Mega, meg, Celestra, JadeFox
PET AND GRANDDAUGHTER OF: Banana-chan
SISTER OF: girl ninja, Starfire1, and rusty789, Batosai [/color]

I'm looking for someone to quench my thirst - for all eternity.
Shadowchild

Postby Mave » Sun Jul 31, 2005 5:16 am

I've never really read Chobits or Absolute Boyfriend so I can't really respond to your post in depth. But generally, I avoid these titles since I've never liked robots except for Gundams.

Spoiler tags are pretty easy to make. I highly encourage you to use them.

[_spoiler_] bla bla bla [/_spoiler_] (remove _ )
Mave

Postby Momo-P » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:15 am

Ah, ok. I edited the spoiler tags in. Thanks. ^^

Demo, another reason I guess I don't see Chobits as so evil, is, well...we've all seen a show where a human falls inlove with something non-human, right? Maybe they're an alien or something, but what's the difference? And what about that movie with Robin Williams? Bicential *spll* Man. It was about a robot and human falling in love...and yet loads of people never complained about it. Seriously, I think the only real thing "bad" in Chobits would be the perverted jokes and brief nudity...and really, that's not that much when you consider how much goes on in Zettai Kareshi.
Momo-P

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:45 am

There are some moral questions concerning Chobits but, overall, I am happy to see that they downplay on the entire sexual intercourse thing in Chobits. Meaning, despite the fact that Hideki has this cute girl who will do anything he says, he doe snot take advantage of her. Another thing I was happy about that Chii will wait and keep her "sexuality" to the person (guy...hopefully) that was made to love her. That to me is just refreshing to see in a series that does have quite a bit of fan service.

As of the other series, I have not read it yet (the fact that I forgot the name indictaes that I have never heard or seen it :lol: )
Hitokiri

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:31 pm

Where is this fabled bad ladder of which you speak?

Honestly, there's no way any of us can say "Here is the uncrossable line. Anything on that side of this line is a 'get into Hell free card.'" If it's not dictated in scripture as this isn't (unless I missed the "Thou shall not read or watch Chobits" verse. . .), you have to sort through that with God. It's upto the Holy Spirit in you to discern what would be profittable for you.

In my life, I decided to just stay away from both of the series you're discussing because sexuality is just an integrated and necessary part of them. In response to my conscience, I don't read anything that I wouldn't want my best guy friend flipping through. Certain Chobits and AB material is definitely not approved for guy friend eyes, IMHO.

In the end, it's upto you. But if you're asking us for advice because you feel uncomfortable-- well, that would be something to think about.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby blue elf » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:37 am

[quote="Momo-P"]Chobits...a very big name among anime and manga fans. For years now I've loved this title and even own the entire anime and manga series, but recently I've become a bit interested.

You see, lately many people have been comparing Chobits to Zettai Kareshi (Absolute Boyfriend), saying it's as foul and disgusting, that it's messed up because Hideki's involved with a persocom and Riiko's involved with a robot...but are they really the same?

So far I've read up to volume five of Absolute Boyfriend, actually finding some of it funny and enjoyable at times, but now I've decided to stop. AS is humorous, but the fact Riiko actually does have sex with him in the end crossed the line for me and I just said no. Chobits however...it doesn't seem as bad.

For starters, the Chobits manga does involve some nudity, but most of it is for humor, and depending on how you handle nudity and your sense of humor, it might not be a big deal. There's also the fact that, yes, the main character falls inlove with a "robot" but unlike Zettai Kareshi...[spoiler]He does not sleep with it. The whole plot of Chobits was to find Chii someone who would love her, and not care about having sex. If Hideki even does, Chii would restart and he would lose her....in fact, I can't say Hideki even kissed Chii on the lips at any point of the story--manga or anime.[/spoiler]

Now...true it's just a few minor differences, but they're quite large differences. But still, do you think these manga are equally bad? In fact, does the Bible even talk about relationships like that? I mean, obviously robots and stuff didn't exist back then, but all I remember is that you shouldn't have sex with anything non-human...and well...Chobits doesn't break that rule. o_o]

I've never read any of these series, except for the preview thing of Absolute Boyfriend at the bookstore, but I think the verse in the Bible you may be thinking of is the one about how people are not to lie with beasts. As far as I'm concerned as long as the character acts human...e.i. has human characteristics such as emotions and is capable of intelligent thought and is basically human shaped, then it's effectively human in my book.
blue elf

Postby Starfire1 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:17 pm

This thread makes me re-think the manga I've read. Entirely. Chobits is probably the manga I've read the most of (seeing how I've never finished any series *blush*) and none of this ever crossed my mind. The most problem I had with it was the fanservice, but this really gives me something to think over.
Only a dead thing goes with the stream. Only a living thing can go against it.

USSRGirl wrote:>.< No. Because I say it tastes of evil. And everyone is entitled to my opinion.

"It is impossible to end hatred with hatred"-Gandi

Adopted by Mega.EXE
Adopted: KhakiBlueSocks, ShadowChild
Starfire1

Postby Momo-P » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:13 pm

Where is this fabled bad ladder of which you speak?

I've heard many people often refer to the two as if they're one in the same, but since they're not...well...I'd rather say something then let it go unsaid. After all, it might help someone sometime. o.o
Momo-P

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:55 pm

Momo-P wrote:I've heard many people often refer to the two as if they're one in the same, but since they're not...well...I'd rather say something then let it go unsaid. After all, it might help someone sometime. o.o

No, by all means. I didn't mean to sound harsh. Sorry.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Yeito » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:00 pm

Just my two cents>

Even though I haven't read very much of Absolute Boyfriend (especially not as much as you o_o; ) but I dont see it as being "all about sex" . To me: Its about a girl, who can't find a decent boyfriend, but wants to be in a relationship with someone and trying to find someone to be with. I definitely haven't seen the part where she gives in to Night, but as far as I've read every time he tries something she pushes him away, says 'no' and goes into a monologue about how shes not going to jump into sex just cause shes curious.

Now I will say that : I do NOT (repeat> NOT) think that sex before marriage is right. (had someone accuse me of that the other day o_o; ) I believe you are to wait till AFTER you are married. That part, I do not agree with the manga but the rest of it seems to be over-lookable and ignorable. o_o Just like the nudity and 'humor' in chobits.

When I read/see an anime and if nudity trys to rear its ugly head I do my best to ignore it. Like I'll look away from the screen or flip through a manga till its over. I dont see why its any different for Absolute Boyfriend.

:shrug: anyway... thats just me. Givin my thoughts. Please dont be offended of anything. ^-^; I mean no harm. Honest o_o
Yeito

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 03, 2005 6:25 pm

From what I've heard both series seem to be the same, but I would prob say I've heard more bad about AB than Chobits. Besides reading AB to help readers by making a review, I stay away from series like that, it was hard not to pick up Chobits cause I love CLAMP.....
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews