Is the manga a good way to judge a series you haven't seen?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Is the manga a good way to judge a series you haven't seen?

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:57 am

I always want to try out a series that hasn't aired on TV yet, but I don't want to waste my money. Since many series have a manga, is reading the manga first usually a good way to get acquainted?
rocklobster

Postby Ashley » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:01 am

I would say so. Almost always, the manga is much more indepth and interesting than the tv series. With maybe one exception, I have enjoyed the mangas infinitely more than the tv series. The manga is where they won't pull punches about content--if a mangaka is violent or fanservicey, you'll know soon enough.

My best suggestion is to read reviews--LOTS of them. Lots and lots of them; get a feel for the mangaka and what to expect from them. You may risk some spoilers but what is more important: your spiritual health and satisfaction or a suprise?
Ashley

Postby Mave » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:57 am

I think it helps to know how the title was first created. Some titles were created as an anime first and then, were adapted into a manga (i.e. Cowboy Bebop). I generally check out what was created first since like Ash says, the original goes more in-depth and tend to be more interesting (no fillers!). But most anime titles are spawned from manga so I tend to check out the manga first.

But I'm glad that I checked out the sCRYed anime before the manga. :sweat:
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:57 am

I'd say that depends on what you want to know. Often the manga will have more objectionable content. In some series, the anime has a very different plot, and at times atmosphere, than the manga. But if you just want to know a series' style, general plot and theme, a manga could be a good indicator.
uc pseudonym

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews