Has anyone read Alita?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Has anyone read Alita?

Postby edo » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:09 pm

Hi. I am thinking of doing a review for Battle Angel Alita, and Alita: Last Order (once the it's finished) and I was just wondering how many people have read the Alita series, and what they thought of it. I know alot of people who stopped after the first novel because they found it boring, fortuanatly I kept going and really liked it. I like the drawing style and the action/tech paspects the most. Please post how much you have read and why you like/dislike it.
-edo
edo

Postby Kisa » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:36 pm

I have only cause my bro own most of the series. Its pretty good, but just not my type. Good read and interesting story tho. I hear there is a Live action movie in the works.....
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:51 pm

KisaTohru wrote:I have only cause my bro own most of the series. Its pretty good, but just not my type. Good read and interesting story tho. I hear there is a Live action movie in the works.....

I heard about that. . .

At this point I'm not sure how I feel about, but I guess it will give manga and anime some exposure. I hope that's a good thing. . . ;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:33 pm

Regardless of it's popularity, I would encourage you to write a review for us anyway. You never know who God will bring here and He could very well use your material to influence someone else. So please submit! ^^
Ashley

Postby edo » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:48 am

Ashley wrote:Regardless of it's popularity, I would encourage you to write a review for us anyway. You never know who God will bring here and He could very well use your material to influence someone else. So please submit! ^^

Okay. I'll do a manga review of Battle Angel Alita and one of ABENOBASHI: Magical Shopping Arcade :thumb:
edo

Postby Kisa » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:51 am

Yea it is definitley one of the less mentioned mangas, but it is one of the older ones too. Its pretty classic imho....
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby edo » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:43 am

Okay, because my friend is borrowing my Alita, and I can't glance back at it; I am going to write reviews for Abenobashi and Real Bout High School. Also, if Ashley lets me, a review for Megatokyo, because it is all avaliable online.
edo

Postby MorwenLaicoriel » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:14 pm

Ooh, a review of Megatokyo would be a good idea, I think. I mean, you certainly couldn't do a complete review, but there's enough strips to give you a good idea of what Fred will and won't do in it.
MorwenLaicoriel

Postby BlueGothKitten » Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:57 pm

ALITAAAAAA!!!!!!! :rock:
I love it and would love to adapt it as a live action movie...it's one of those stories, thought, that could be really good or really awful...and hearing the girls at school or the guys... *oh, hugo's so hooooootttttt, alita's so hooooooottt....* *blick, yech yeeks!* Alita's so cute, they'd have to get the right person to play her, though.
Ban Sidhe
Alucard...woot! I will never, ever look at Capri Sun the same way again!
BlueGothKitten

Location: Alone in my fortress with my cat...until the neighbors intrude to say the music's too loud...

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:13 pm

I've been recently wanting to check this out because I love cyberpunk stuff, (I mean, the manga has been been around way before the huge manga boom.) so I'll be eagerly awaiting your review I suppose. The out of print anime DVD is SO expensive. X_X on ebay, no less than say, $50 for it.
Ichigo_89

Postby edo » Sun Jun 26, 2005 12:18 pm

I know the manga could be seen as cyberpunk, but it is really far from it. It is more action, and relationships. Also, is anyone going to do a Shooting Star or Planetes review? Otherwise, I'll do them.
edo

Postby BlueGothKitten » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:19 pm

The manga does have a lot of neat cyberpunk styles to it, though, looking at all the people in the background. I'll be looking forward to that review! Zipo master, if you want to check out the anime, seriously look for it at your local Blockbuster...I was quite suprised by what a good selection ours has- lots of obscure anime, and a lot of the recent stuff, too. It's probably under "Gunnm", though- that's where I found it. she's called "Gunnm" or "Gally" in the original Japanese, I think.
Ban Sidhe
BlueGothKitten

Location: Alone in my fortress with my cat...until the neighbors intrude to say the music's too loud...

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm

BlueGothKitten wrote:The manga does have a lot of neat cyberpunk styles to it, though, looking at all the people in the background. I'll be looking forward to that review! Zipo master, if you want to check out the anime, seriously look for it at your local Blockbuster...I was quite suprised by what a good selection ours has- lots of obscure anime, and a lot of the recent stuff, too. It's probably under "Gunnm", though- that's where I found it. she's called "Gunnm" or "Gally" in the original Japanese, I think.

Oooh, thanks for the advice. I'll look into that. If they don't have it at a local Blockbuster, I'm sure I could rent it online from somewhere like, Animeforest.com or w/e.

I just bought Battle Angel Alita: Last Order Vol.4 & 5 and I'm totally impressed. And you're right, it really isn't just a cyberpunk oriented series, but it's the cyberpunk elements that are in it that I love. ^__^ Definately gonna hunt down all the previous volumes of both series. :)
Ichigo_89

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:39 pm

Hmm. I saw this title at my local store, but I thought it looked like trouble. I might have to give it a second look.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Kkun » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:15 pm

I can't remember if there's anything too bad in it, but I do remember that I enjoyed what little bit I read. It's definitely very, very violent so I would warn about that for the feint of heart. It also has several very disturbing and extreme villains from what I remember.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby BlueGothKitten » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:26 am

Yes, it is quite violent *grins*. The only thing I can think of now is that Alita is sometimes shown semi-nude, but she's a cyborg, so...
Ugggh!!! I just looked the movie up online...it's on comingnext.com...and I think it will be HORRIBLE!!! WAAAAHHHH!!!!!
It's going to be in...uhm...3D. (Spykids, anyone? AWFUL!!!!) I hope that's not really what's going to happen...rumor has it taht the guy who directed...er...Titanic...will be the director...it might be released in 2007, and Alita will be CG'ed...it' s probably going to be called "Battle Angel". Worry...
Ban Sidhe
BlueGothKitten

Postby Ichigo_89 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:53 pm

Sounds like they're gonna ruin it. But HEY, maybe they'll re-release the anime when that comes out...huhuh, anyone?
Ichigo_89

Postby edo » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:40 pm

BlueGothKitten wrote:Yes, it is quite violent *grins*. The only thing I can think of now is that Alita is sometimes shown semi-nude, but she's a cyborg, so...
Ugggh!!! I just looked the movie up online...it's on comingnext.com...and I think it will be HORRIBLE!!! WAAAAHHHH!!!!!
It's going to be in...uhm...3D. (Spykids, anyone? AWFUL!!!!) I hope that's not really what's going to happen...rumor has it taht the guy who directed...er...Titanic...will be the director...it might be released in 2007, and Alita will be CG'ed...it' s probably going to be called "Battle Angel". Worry...

Punctuation is our friend! The guy who did Titanic: James Cameron, is directing it. Comingnext.com is not a reputable source, they report mostly crap. It is supposed to be all real except a "Golem"-like Alita, based on a real person, then created with SFX. Of course, however, there will be digital effects. He keeps pushing it back though. I think what you're thinking of is that he said he is going to shoot it with his new camera that plays out on a 3D projector. The projector is not actually 3d, it is just called that.
edo

Postby BlueGothKitten » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:46 pm

OKay...I wasn't sure...most of the internet is crap anyhow. I worry anyhow. but I haven't seen most of his films. However, in my mind, Titanic and Alita do not correspond. Eh.
Yes, punctuation is my FRIEND!!!!!
Ban Sidhe
BlueGothKitten

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:42 pm

A live action Gunnm? By JAMES CAMERON? Of all the anime to have american live action movies, why did Aeon Flux have to come first, and how did Gunnm become the second??? Maybe it will go the way of DBZ and Sailormoon... Actually, I've never seen Gunnm so I don't know what to expect...

Anyhow, I have not read the Gunnm manga (notice I refuse to call it by its non-original title... Her name isn't even Alita in the original... THey actually make fun of the name change in an episode of the anime...) The Japanese name for Alita is something like Gaari or Gari or something like that... I should read it, though... Maybe get some translations for the Japanese version to compare the two. It is rather old, and there might have been a lot of alterations...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Hitokiri » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:33 pm

My friend leant me a manga series...I think it's Battle Angel Alita. I didn't like it (because of the violence). I remember a got getting his brains pulverized by a guy with weights and a guy with his upper head ripped off and his guts cut open.

Same thing?
Hitokiri

Postby BlueGothKitten » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:30 pm

I don't remember weights being involved. But it could quite possibly be the same thing! If the main character looked like my avatar, that was it...yay for her poofy hair! (I love the scene in the sewers of the first manga with her hair, when she dries it.)
I happen to like her name..."Battle Angel Gally" just doesn't have the same ring. And the way I remember that they made fun of her name was cute...unless I'm wrong.."Alita" was the name of Ido's cat that died, so he named the cyborg "Alita" until he could think of something better. I think that Nova's son ((uh, I think he's Nova's son)) calls her Gally, though, I think.
I like the original title, though...Gumn= "Gun DReams". That would be such a cool manga title!
Ban Sidhe
BlueGothKitten

Postby Hitokiri » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:35 pm

It's the same...I just checked it out ^_^
Hitokiri

Postby BlueGothKitten » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:19 am

Yay! It's such a good manga... *sigh*...Alita is sooo cute! *and she's also a deadly hunter warrior! heh!* I love the little Alita doll in the later books...which Alita character would you think you're most like?
Ban Sidhe
BlueGothKitten

Postby BlueGothKitten » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:47 pm

((Double post...bad kitty! Smacks self))
*gisp!*
I just started reading Last Order...it's so very, very good...and intelligent! Quotes by Swift! I'd originally only read the old Alita... wow...these are so good *tears* *hugs books to chest and giggles manically* mine, mine!
Ban Sidhe
BlueGothKitten

Postby mechana2015 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:27 pm

I currently have every book of Gunnm/BAA thats been released in the US so far... all of them. Bob...the name is Gally in Japan, and I love it all, aspecially since it's the manga that got me hooked on japanese stuff.
Hitokiri...you're reading Last Order.

Personally I side most with Alita and Sechs/Zechs/6 though I enjoy 6 more when she's in the puppet...she's funnay when she's little and she still kicks butt.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews