Sci-fi manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Sci-fi manga

Postby righteous_slave » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:58 pm

Any one got some good sci-fi manga? Not necessarily mecha, although that's not disqualified, but big, epic, space opera type stuff. Just looking for something different. I presently don't have bupkis, so don't worry about listing stuff that I already have.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby soul alive » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:31 pm

you might want to check out the Seikai Trilogy. i haven't read it myself beyond a couple of chapters in the first volume, but it's a space story that looks epic, and has great art. as i haven't read any other space/scifi manga beyond G Gundam, i can't really recommend anything beyond that. G Gundam is more mecha oriented than scifi, and is basically just on earth and colonies in space around earth. however, i do believe that there are more epic and space oriented Gundam series, which might merit checking out. taking a quick look on amazon.com doesn't hurt, to see if they might interest you.

good luck in your search.
-Sara-

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

A Cruce Salus, a webmanga. --- Status: Undergoing rewrites, currently offline

soul-alive.deviantart.com

"People say I'm strange, does it make me a stranger / That my best friend was born in a manger?" 'Jesus Freak' - dc Talk
soul alive

Postby Kaori » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:18 pm

Battle Angel Alita comes to mind. I haven't read the entire series, but of what I did read there was nothing terribly remarkable about the plot; it seems to be, more or less, a typical android story. However, in addition to the original series, there is also Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, which from what I have seen is superior both in terms of story and art, although the art style is largely a matter of personal preference.

I have recently seen the manga Infinite Ryvius in bookstores; although I have not read the manga, the anime (which was released some time ago) was an engaging, high-quality series.

There is, in fact, a Nadesico manga, but the storyline is considerably different from that of the anime, and what I have heard about the manga was not terribly favorable.

If you are into very old-school manga, you might try Astro Boy. I read a volume of it and was not terribly impressed, but it is considered a classic.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby mai » Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:33 am

I've never read it but I've heard "Five Star Stories" is really good.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby righteous_slave » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:28 am

Cool. Thanks y'all. Anyone one else?
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Arnobius » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:07 am

Nausicaa is very good. For Sci-fi. Unfortunately, the rest of the scifi (very underrepresented in my collection) is M rated (Cannon God Exaxxion and Saikano), and shouldn't be picked up lightly...
Arnobius

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:11 am

I've never read Planetes, but it's suppose to be very good. Use the search button and find the thread about it (I'm 99% positive there was one. . .), and you should get an idea of the objectionable content.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby AngelSakura » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:25 am

Humm, humm. Trigun is considered sci-fi, but there isn't a lot of traveling around. But I think it's sci-fi, based on the fact they're on a different planet, have different technology, discuss the ships/Earth, blah blah blah and so on. If you've already seen the anime, you might want to give it a look anyway. Check my website for detailed comparisons. (<-- shameless plug)

EDIT: The art of the reverse-quote!
<<The Trigun manga series looks interesting. The anime series was EXCELLENT, but that means nothing I suppose (see: Kaori's above post about Nadesico, also a great anime).>>
I shound mention, my site is a comparison between the anime and manga. I'll stop being redundant now.
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby KazuValis » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:34 am

The Trigun manga series looks interesting. The anime series was EXCELLENT, but that means nothing I suppose (see: Kaori's above post about Nadesico, also a great anime). You MIGHT try Tenchi as well. There was a Tenchi in Space anime series, but I don't know if there was a similar manga about being in space. Heads up: it probably will have some suggestive themes and such. How much, I am not sure, so use discretion. Shouldn't be too bad, honestly, but again I don't know. Happy Hunting!
He who walks with integrity walks securely, but he who perverts his ways will become known.--Prov. 10:9

Image :rock:
KazuValis

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews