Tokyo Pop American Manga Comepition

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Tokyo Pop American Manga Comepition

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:54 pm

If someone have posted about this before, I appologize. I also didn't know where to put it so I posted it in General.

I haven't read through everything myself - I just thought some of you would like to know about this. :sweat:

> Manga contest from Tokoyopop - open to any US resident (even
> minors,with parental consent), substantial cash prizes, subs must be
> 15-20 pages long, group entries welcome. Please read the rules and the
> mechanical guidelines carefully. Deadline is February 15, 2005. Snail
> mail entries only. http://www.tokyopop.com/news/mangatalent/index.php
> Again, READ THE GUIDLINES CAREFULLY WITH A MICROSCOPE.
bigsleepj

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:59 pm

i dont like tokyopop mainly because they made some retarded Lizzie Maguire telemanga stuff...
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:27 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:i dont like tokyopop mainly because they made some retarded Lizzie Maguire telemanga stuff...

They've done that with alot of other shows and stuff. I wouldn't get too mad at them, though, considering they're, IMHO, the best US publishing company right now.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:36 pm

eh, i like ADV manga the best, i mean they keep it traiditona and you read it right to left, with some of the other companies they mirror image it, making you read it left to right. Im not saying VIz always does that, but i know some of their mangas, they have. As well as tokyopop
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Arnobius » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:11 pm

I think I like ADV manga the least because they utterly butchered the Azumanga Daioh manga, completely rewriting some jokes instead of translating them. Viz has gotten better under the pressure from TP and ADV (shudders, remembering the $16.95 Ranma 1/2 manga). TokyoPop used to be OK, but I really hated what Keith Giffen did to Battle Royale and Ikkitousen (renamed <shudder> "Battle Vixens"). Still, their handling of Love Hina is better than Del Rey's handling of Negima (they did what ADV did to Asu Daioh). I wish Dark Horse would re-release Gunsmith Cats unflipped.
Arnobius

Postby Ashley » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:15 pm

As long as we're talking about companies, Tokyopop is my hands-down favorite; most of my manga is by them, by coincidence yes but I'm thankful for it. I really enjoy Tokyopop, especially since they keep it un-flipped.

Anyway, about the contest...if only, if only. I may enter this in a few years, but at the moment I couldn't do this---my skills are pretty infantile and I've got a ton of other projects I want to see through. But, maybe someday... ^^
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:19 pm

[quote="Ashley"]As long as we're talking about companies, Tokyopop is my hands-down favorite]
Sounds like me. My art might be able to handle "The Adventures of Stick Man" but that's the extent of my artistic ability.
Arnobius

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:34 pm

yes, ADV did rewrite many jokes, but atleast they explained it... (well, on the frist 2 volumes anyway)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Debitt » Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:17 am

:lol: I don't mind ADV, but I prefer Tokyopop simply because the ADV translators couldn't even get the term 'tengu' right in the Tactics manga, and opted to call Haruka a 'tenko.' Now...uhm, I have no idea what the heck a tenko is, but a TENGU is a mythical Japanese creature associated with crows. x_X; You'd think just by looking at the manga and Haruka's big black wings, you could tell what Sakura Kinoshita was talking about. But I guess not. xD; Oh well...sorry for the off topicness. *could go on for hours about mythology*

Anyways, I'd love to enter, but all my current manga stories are multipart, and I could never condense any of it down to 15-20 pages. xD; oh well, I'll keep thinking.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Kisa » Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:14 am

Is this the Rising Stars of Manga thing they have every so often?
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:10 am

Yeah I have heard of this and contemplated in sending in my submission.

As for TokyoPop, if thier's a manga that I like from there (Love Hina, FLCL, Rayerath).
Hitokiri

Postby Arnobius » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:46 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:yes, ADV did rewrite many jokes, but atleast they explained it... (well, on the frist 2 volumes anyway)

On the first 2 volumes they DIDN'T explain it (unless ADV rereleased the manga with translation notes on 1 & 2). For example, when talking to Yomi about the impending arrival of an Osakan student, Tomo never suggested that they try to talk like an Osakan and then say "That's so funny." They were actually talking about a type of comedy called Manzai. Tomo had a very stereotyped view of people from Osaka, and wanted to playact.

Maybe this is small potatoes, but the flagrant changing instead of explaining irritates me. The changed jokes lack the charm of the originals.
Arnobius

Postby Yamato145 » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:46 pm

im so kewl im a yam

By... glenn hahahahaha
The loving, caring, and slightly bad-influencing father of 1balloonpopper and khakibluesocks!!!
Also I'm not sure how -_-' but somehow I am the Master and Father of Spectro-King according to his signature ... but hey I'm up for having a minion ... so jump stupid ... I'll have him keeeeel you
:evil: Evil child of Fantasy Dreamer and Dark Disturbed Grandchild of Cephas VII
On a quest to adopt Cephas
:dance: WACKY BANANA!!! :rock: ROCKER!!! :hug: glomp of DOOM!!!
Ive noticed something interesting, when a place is really amazing people say it must be seen to believed ... but the most amazing place ever must be believed to be seen.
kenshin: W_^Vx
Yamato145

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:38 am

Ah yes, this contest. Some of the previous entries have had a fair amount of religious or pseudoreligious content, which is partially encouraging. On the other hand, the competition is pretty brutal.

KisaTohru wrote:Is this the Rising Stars of Manga thing they have every so often?

Clicking the link will answer that in the affirmative.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:32 am

To tell the truth, I haven't really done much about this, simply because I dislike competitions/contests in general.

I will probably submit something soon since I don't know how much longer I'll remain in the U.S and intend to insert in some Christian faith content while doing it. But thanks for announcing it in CAA, anyway. ^_^
Mave

Postby Uriah » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:28 pm

There's very little chance I could get a 15 page manga done and sent in 2 months..
Uriah

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:19 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:On the first 2 volumes they DIDN'T explain it (unless ADV rereleased the manga with translation notes on 1 & 2). For example, when talking to Yomi about the impending arrival of an Osakan student, Tomo never suggested that they try to talk like an Osakan and then say "That's so funny." They were actually talking about a type of comedy called Manzai. Tomo had a very stereotyped view of people from Osaka, and wanted to playact.

Maybe this is small potatoes, but the flagrant changing instead of explaining irritates me. The changed jokes lack the charm of the originals.

oh you're right they didnt XD my bad, it was volume 3 and 4 which they did explain it :eh:
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:02 pm

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:oh you're right they didnt XD my bad, it was volume 3 and 4 which they did explain it :eh:

Yeah, with those volumes I had less problems, since they explained most of the probematic areas and with the rest, I had the JP version. I'm thinking that ADV just didn't get the "Chinsuko" and Ukoncha" jokes from the Okinawa trip, given that they didn't explain them in either the anime or the manga. Funny, if somewhat crude.
Arnobius

Postby Arnobius » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:04 pm

Sorry, double post (didn't know 1st message went through when IE froze)
Arnobius

Postby sen_no_kotoba01 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:50 pm

I'm going to try entering, since it's been my dream to be a professional ever since I was little. Man, wouldn't it be awesome to win? I just hope and pray every time I work on my entry that God will give me the power to win... if that's what He wants, of course.
sen_no_kotoba01

Postby ChristianKitsune » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:55 pm

I have entered a few times... Twice I got nifty Certificates... I might enter this time, and it isn't due till january 6th (I have already printed off the entry form a month ago... laaaadee daa...) LOL

I WANT TO ENTER THIS SO BADLY!! BUT I AM SCARED!! I don't want to ruin my beloved story, I once entered a sotry about a Dragon Racing thing...and after I sent in the story and it didn't win I basically dropped it...and I haven't looked at it since...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Yumie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:28 pm

I would enter, if I could draw. I can't draw, or do anything else really. I'm basically talentless. :(
Yumie

Postby Maledicte » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:15 pm

I once had a "perfect" manga set up but then I read the rules and it said "no excessive violence"...Mine was pretty violent, not gory but it did have a fair amount of death...but my style isn't really "manga" anyway...aw heck I might just send it if I ever get it done.
Maledicte

Postby ChristianKitsune » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:43 am

LOL! have you ever seen any of the entries? Some of them don't really look like manga...there is no definintion for manga.. manga just means comics... In fact some of those that have won weren't really mangaeque... LOL
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:53 am

0.0...! What a way to get noticed, eh? *gleam* I bet I can come up witha 15- 20 page manga... *schemes*
Shao Feng-Li

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews