Alice 19th

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Alice 19th

Postby Ami J. » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:47 am

Because I know someone here has to have read it. = P Is this series any good? From what I've seen, I love the artwork but I know Yu Watase has a habit of including some objectional things in the sex/nudity category in her works. Is there anything objectional in this series? Language isn't an issue--if it bothers me that's what the Amazing Sharpie of Censorship is for. Blood/violence is ok, as long as it isn't graphic. (ex. no disembowling or hacking off of large and/or useful appendages) No sex, and nudity I have a tolerance level of about .000005 for. (Naruto's special attack turned me off, though I may just suck it up and stick smilie faces there or something)
"...in the shadow of thy wings will I make my refuge..." Psalms 57:1
Ami J.

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:56 am

First, I'd like to say "Hello!" It's so very nice to see you here, and I hope you stick around a nd post alot!

Well, now let us embark on a journey into the craziness that is Yuu Watase(Osaka=me). Let me start by saying I was a HUGE Alice the 19th fan. It has an awesome stories with some very interesting and not so common theme (The evil of man's heart, for instance). Alice is a really cool protagonist, and, despite the fact that she SHOULD hate her sister, she doesn't. Kyo is a gentlemen, and that's something you don't see very often in manga. Overall, it was one rockin' story, and I axiously awaited its release every two months.

I read up to volume five. Upto this point, there had been a few innuendos and such, but nothing horrifying. And then--- it happened. In volume five there are-- hmm, probably 10 pages in which Alice and her sister turned enemy Mayura duke it out completely naked. Their battle started in the shower, so that's probably how Yuu Watase tried to make it fit. But it doesn't. It was just stupid.

With a great many tears I put Alice the 19th Down and never picked it up again.

In it's place, I'd like to suggest Imadoki. It's a manga by Yuu Watase so it has the same rockin' art, but, as many of our memebers agree, the two protagonists don't jump in bed together in the end. Which, unfortunately, seems to be the goal in most of Ms. Watase's manga. I'll PM you with complete details about this alternative.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Cap'n Nick » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:12 am

My thoughts exactly - a great story ruined once again by Yû Watase's compulsive nudity.

The side notes in the first volume are very political. Watase says that war is wrong and that all conflicts should be resolved with words. She then goes on to say that Alice 19th is a story about the power of words. But, the story doesn't illustrate this point at all - words simply become physical energy that the characters zap each other with just like in her other manga. If their words really had power, wouldn't that be unnecessary?
Cap'n Nick

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:07 am

Cap'n Crack wrote:My thoughts exactly - a great story ruined once again by Yû Watase's compulsive nudity.

The side notes in the first volume are very political. Watase says that war is wrong and that all conflicts should be resolved with words. She then goes on to say that Alice 19th is a story about the power of words. But, the story doesn't illustrate this point at all - words simply become physical energy that the characters zap each other with just like in her other manga. If their words really had power, wouldn't that be unnecessary?

I hadn't thought of that, but it's an excellent point. "We shouldn't have war--- now I will use my words to toss you into endless chasm of despair." Yeah, that makes sense. *sarcasm sarcasm*
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Kisa » Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:10 pm

Yea *sigh* this WAS a good series until Watase once again added in her uneeded nudity and innuendos.... pick up Imadoki like Osaka said, very good story and vol 3 just came out! Tanpopo is just so cool, so much courage! ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:35 pm

KisaTohru wrote:Yea *sigh* this WAS a good series until Watase once again added in her uneeded nudity and innuendos.... pick up Imadoki like Osaka said, very good story and vol 3 just came out! Tanpopo is just so cool, so much courage! ^^

Volume three just came out? My book store has had if for a month!! They're psychotic!

But I guess I'm a real louse for not having read it yet, though.

Mangafanatic

Postby CloudStrife918 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:26 pm

Hm... I liked the look of the artwork for Alice 19th, but I've never read it. Can you reccoment another title that I might enjoy in it's place? (Like Imadoki! What's it about? How clean is it?)
"Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you. For everyone who asks recieves, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks, it shall be opened." -Jesus
Matthew 7:7-8
CloudStrife918

Postby Kkun » Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:07 pm

I actually enjoyed Alice 19th. I thought the story was good and the characters were interesting. But, if you are bothered by nudity, there is the infamous scene in book 5. I didn't let it ruin the entire series for me. It wasn't like the nudity was constant throughout the entire manga. Of course, this brings up questions of where should the line be drawn and how far is too far, but as a whole, I didn't find Alice 19th to be particularly perverted or offensive, despite that one scene.

As for Yuu Watase's political views, well, she's neither a Christian nor is she an American, so her view is going to be a little different from most of ours...
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Kisa » Sun Dec 26, 2004 6:58 pm

Imadoki is about a girl from the country coming to Tokyo to go to high school. She tries to fit in despite not having money like all the other kids. Its just ha school setting story with great characters and good things. YAY TANPOPO!
Hey Osaka, any idea when 4 comes out?
Kisa

Postby Kawaiikneko » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:18 pm

Oh, Imadoki sounds good. I was looking for a new shoujo to read *is happy*
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kisa » Tue Dec 28, 2004 8:50 am

*is happy* yes go get it, now! LOL
Its a good series, I wish they would release it faster.....
When does 4 come out??????
Kisa

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews