Girl Got Game (known as "Power" too)

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Girl Got Game (known as "Power" too)

Postby Nasu-ne » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:46 pm

Hey hey!! I have a question....

Has anyone ever read the manga "Girl Got Game" .....also known in Japan as "Power".....

It's sooo good...(well if you like basketball it is...hehe :grin: :eyeroll: )

Well... i wonder...AM I ALONE!!

Anyway....if you dont.......I'LL GIVE YOU A SUMMARY!!! :dizzy: :rock: :jump: :hug: :grin:

BUT IF YOU HAVE READ THIS SERIES BECAUSE YOU WAIST TIME!!!!!

okAY!!

SUMMERY:

Okay....if you like basketball you might like this series....(well it sort of gets off the topic of basketabll completely.....BUT OH WELL!!!)

It tells of a girl, Kyo Aizawa, who is going to go to Seisei ( i think that's how it's spelled....) High school....well she gets her uniform....but....it's a guys uniform not a girls......The reason why....

HER FATHER IS A COMPLETELY DO DO BRAIN!!!!

Anyway....he forged her papers saying she was a boy so that she could do his dream of being in the NBA....(and Seisei has the best high school basketball team so scouts are probably going to be looking there blah blah blah you know the rest...) Because he couldn't complete his dream because his Achelias tendant (spelling?) ripped...

Also....he also tells her that she is going to be living in the dorm at the high school because it builds "commadrery" (spelling?) anyway....she gets mad but ends up going to the high school anyway....as a boy....

SO when she first gets there she sees a guy who is really good at basketball well then she meets the team captain who gives her a jersey, she changes, goes out onto the court, and the guy who she saw....makes wise cracks about her.....telling her she's short (BIG :wow!: o_O height difference...) so she gets mad him he gets mad at her blah blah blah practice ends.....

SO she goes to the dorm finds out which room she's in and goes in....finding out....that she happens to be rooming with Mister Hedgehog Head ( a nickname who she gave the the guy who is really good....his name is Chiharu Eniwa....)

ANyway....it's goes on blah blah blah they find stuff out about each other blah blah blah he eventually finds out she's a girl....

Then....she meets Kensuke Yura....a STRANGE GENIOUS boy......
Whose trust is betrayed and even though they spend a lot of time together (haha :lol: poor Eniwa he's jealous) he stil can't call her a friend until.....she takes a beating for him.....(like Jesus giving himself up for us on the cross....interresting no....) and anyway....he becomes her friend until her over hears her talking to anyway who confronts her about Yura ( who he thinks that Yura likes Kyo and they're togther) and she says she's not (but out it in a wrong way making it sound like something else) and Yura over hears (poor Kyo) anyway....

SPOILER!!!

She says she's sorry to him but he can't accept....he doesn't care....anyway...she asks what she can do to prove to him....and he asks....
if she's sure about that...she says yes....then he asks if she wants to test that theory....

He knocks her out....takes her to an abandoned warehouse....ties her up to a post...

She wakes up...asks where they are.....he starts counting....then a bomb blows....and she understands...

Okay...he tells stuff about himself....telling her after the third bomb blows that the last one is next to the gas tank that they are going to die together friends....

Okay this whole time Eniwa and some of kyo's other friends are looking for her well when they find the building where she's at it blows up with fire.....Eniwa runs inside to save her...

ANyway....he finds them both and gets them both almost out of the building....except Yura doesn't want to go....he runs away from them...well Eniwa gets ready to jump (cause they have to jump off the top of the building to get away from the fire) but Kyo keeps hereing the words that Yura said and runs back for him telling him that she is going to keep her promise and let him see a bright future....Eniwa comes back and helps her get him and then they jump....

End of book #6

OKAY!!! THAT"S NOT THE END OF THE STORY!!! (it's just that's as far as I read....hehe.....sorry)

Well.....

It has a couple cuss words and some sexual stuff i guess you could call it.....

END OF SUMMARY!!!

okay now i was just wodnering if anyone have ever read it...ciao!! ^_~
"Laughing in the Rain...."
Nasu-ne

Location: In a home where my mom loves me and I know God does too and where I know I always be safe because He

Postby Aka-chan » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:28 pm

I've been reading it. I tend to scream at the characters while reading when they misinterpret each other all the time, and Yura scares me, but I like it quite a bit. ^__^
Aka-chan

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Nov 27, 2004 5:33 pm

Yeah, I really liked this manga. And I really hated all the things that she had to do to make everyone think she was a guy! Ack!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Nasu-ne » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:04 pm

Wah.....>_< me no.....

(hehe at first i liked Yura.....eh...but he scared me at the end....the pyromaniac......)
Nasu-ne

Location: In a home where my mom loves me and I know God does too and where I know I always be safe because He

Postby Nasu-ne » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:07 pm

you know...i noticed the only two people who replied to this were girls...... :lol: :lol:

I guess it's because of the title....har har har :lol: :sweat:
Nasu-ne

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:19 pm

Nasu-ne wrote:you know...i noticed the only two people who replied to this were girls...... :lol: :lol:

I guess it's because of the title....har har har :lol: :sweat:

Nah, most of us atleast know what most of the popular manga is about. I'm sure no one's that confused. ;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Nasu-ne » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:26 pm

yeah ^_~

um....question question.....what happens after book 6...( i got it today and when i got to the end...NOOOO.....wahhh *tears* i wanna know what happens.....so what happens after that.....)

me being only 13 and having no friends who are interested in manga or anime and being a kid with two older brothers who don't live with her and whose parents don't feel like driving to the mall for a silly book has been put on a break from manga.....NOOO!!!

So i was wondering what happens......??

-------------------> Ah look a Bananer :dance: :hits_self
Nasu-ne

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:38 pm

See, I've only read to four. So I'm far more clueless than you.

Mangafanatic

Postby Nasu-ne » Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:58 pm

yeah XD.....*tears*
Nasu-ne

Postby Ren_sama » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:53 pm

Aka-chan wrote:I've been reading it. I tend to scream at the characters while reading when they misinterpret each other all the time, and Yura scares me, but I like it quite a bit. ^__^

Ditto~!
One can hear me scream, "AAH YURA'S CRAZY!!! RUN AWAYYYY!!!!!" a lot, and on occasion, "NO, ENIWA!! YOU'RE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS AGAIN!!" ^_^

It's great! I treat it like a soap opera sometimes...xD Though, i do that to a lot of the manga that I read...^__^;

Anyone know how long the manga is?
Ren_sama

Postby Aka-chan » Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:32 am

Someone ask Mave; I think she read it all as scanslations a looooong time ago.

XD Ren_sama and I scream about it together sometimes.
"Yura! He's so scary!"
"I know!"
"And Kyo and Chiharu always botch up their perfect chances!"
"I know!"
"It makes me so mad!"
"Me too!"
(both) "AAAAAUUUUUUUUGH!!!"
"I can't wait for the next volume."
"Me neither."
Aka-chan

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:32 pm

Lol. Currently there is only up to volume 7 in scanlations of Power!! (Girl Got Game) and that is what I've read up to. I decided recently though that I won't read anymore scanlations of it since it was licensed and now it would be officially illegal so yah...I'm just gonna wait until TokyoPop releases volume 8.
During volume two when she was 'proving' that she was a guy I skipped over that part after reading a little of it. I like this manga though and I think that it's funny :)
One of the manga-ka's (author's) other works is being scanlated by the same group that originally started scanlating Power!!. It's called Heaven, but I'm not gonna read it because of it's weird. It's about this girl who can see spirits and ppl think she's kinda weird. One day, she almost gets killed by a semi truck but a guy saves her. While he was knocked out from getting the brunt of the truck's force, some spirit kicked his spirit out of his body and went into it himself. The spirit won't get out of his body and the girl has to help the guy get his body back. It's a comedy, but that seems a bit questionable to me at least. Sorry, that was kind of off topic... :sweat:
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:36 pm

Interesting. I hadn't really looked into the mangaka's other work, but Heaven sounds rather interesting. Did you think it was questionable because of the spirit stuff, or was there other objectionable content?
Aka-chan

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:51 pm

Um, I think that that was the main reason. I don't remember anything lese at the moment. I only read the first half of the first chapter; since then the second half has come out.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews