xxxHolic, anyone?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

xxxHolic, anyone?

Postby Kesshin » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:11 pm

I've noticed we have several Clamp threads, but none specifically for xxxHolic.
So, anyone out there a fan? Opinions, reviews, info, and comments welcome. :thumb:
"Consider the lilies of the field. They neither sew nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed as one of these. If God so clothes the grass, which is in the field one day and cast into the oven the next, how much more will he clothe you, o ye of little faith?
-Luke 12:27-28

-CAA's official writing shinobi.

"Mostly I write action/adventure, and while I dislike romance, I seem to end up doing it and I've been told I do so well. To that I give a cliche "Feh.""
-uc pseudonym
Kesshin

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:24 pm

Hm, I've been reading it as it comes out here, but I still can't decide whethere I really like it or not. The art is gorgeous, of course, but the storyline just seems to be getting darker and darker.

Watanuki's great, though. ^__^
Aka-chan

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:33 pm

This one sure doesn't stand out in the spotlight like Tsubasa does...
I dunno what to say about it. The art style is interesting and very CLAMPY, but something about it just doesn't... overly appeal to me :/ Can't quite put my finger on it either...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Nov 25, 2004 3:56 pm

Oh, I as hoping someone would make a xxxholic thread! I just read 9/10ths of the first volume at the book store (all but the last chapter). I LOVED IT!! Iprobably read 200 pages in 20 minutes. Awesome manga. There's alot of really deep dialogue. Some of the things that the Time Witch-- that is her title right-- says just blow my mind. They're not all correct (She says something to the effect that truth is what you make it), but still a very interesting title none the less. I hope I get a mall gift card for Christmas. If I do-- this is the first thing I'm getting. (I'm glad I didn't discover it until there were 3 volumes released. I'm so sick of being excited about series I have to wait MONTHS and MONTHS for!!!)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Rocketshipper » Fri Nov 26, 2004 11:50 am

I love XXXHolics. It's CLAMP afterall! I like how it crosses over with other series.
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:29 pm

The crossing-over is very well done, in my opinion. Sometimes series just seem to make contact out of nowhere, taking me by surprise. I like that. ^__^
Aka-chan

Postby Mave » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:52 pm

*quietly steps in*

Say, can a non-fan comment here? Eh, I'll try to make it quick anyway. I think the art and storyline is great (especially with the crossovers). But, there is something about this title, which makes me uniquely uncomfortable. It's like I can't sleep with the book next to me and have to put it outside of the room. There's something about the practice of magic here, which deeply bothers me such as the concept of being haunted by spirits, and fortune-telling.

I suspect that I feel this way because I grew up in a culture where such magic is practised in real life and ppl, either used it or greatly feared it. It doesn't help that my grandfather used to be a Chinese medium who dealt with such stuff. Before he died, I was told that he was screaming in terror with spirits reaching out to grab and torture him, in which the main character in XXXolic seems to suffer, but perhaps in a lesser and more humorous degree.

I don't mean to scare anyone but pls accept my honest sharing as a Christian. If you're not bothered by this spiritually, by all means, do go ahead and enjoy it. ^_^ But I will be selling or getting rid of my copy.

*steps out*
Mave

Postby Aka-chan » Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:28 pm

Thanks for that, Mave. I knew that I didn't like all the dark stuff that was really starting to show up, but I hadn't realized how close to reality it was. I will definitely keep that in mind when choosing whether or not to continue with the series.
Aka-chan

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Nov 26, 2004 6:59 pm

It is a darker title. It hasn't bothered me thus far, but I'll be sure to keep that in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing, Mave.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Aka-chan » Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:58 am

Out of curiosity, who are your guys' favorite characters and why? We've a few very interesting personalities in this manga already. I, personally, am undecided, but I want to know what you others think...
Aka-chan

Postby Rocketshipper » Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:57 am

Mokona!! It's so cute, n it's always juming out an surpriing Waanuki or annoying him
Jessie and James, together forever!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!! Save me!!

Eternal Defender of Tracey Sketchit. If you are a Brock lover, beware ^_^

"Like the moon over
the day, my genius and brawn
are lost on these fools"-Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Confused about the meaning of the screen name??

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/RocketShipping

Go here and be enlightened ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

Click the above link...I dare you.

http://community.livejournal.com/ship_manifesto/87185.html

The best essay on Junzumi shipping ever ^^.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/Rocketshipper
Rocketshipper

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Dec 02, 2004 7:56 pm

I know it's sorta weird, but I think I "like" the time witch. I've only read the first volume, mind you, but her character is just so zany I can't help but think she's fun. Maybe I'll hate her later, but as it stands, I find her the most interesting character.

Mangafanatic

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews