Manga artiests and writers unite

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

News

Postby Chapel » Mon May 03, 2004 2:32 pm

I have just done my first color strip and I urge you all to look and give me your opinion. It was a pain in the butt, but I would enjoy doing more with color in the future, I supose it is all a matter of practice, and as soon as you get it down it will go faster. Well can't wait to hear from you all and can't wait to she your fan art, the anticipation mounts. Ok well TTFN.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue May 04, 2004 5:49 am

Neither my sister or I have ever claimed to have any talent, but we're entering the most recent Shonen Jump contest anyway. Assuming it doesn't get printed (and we're pushing the non-existant rules) I'll show it here to all of you so you can laugh (hopefully more at the comedy than the poor art).
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Tue May 04, 2004 9:13 am

Ah UC, that's something I look forward to seeing. ^^

Chapel, here's some comments regarding your colored image. The backgrounds are fine. It looked like you colored the main color first and then implemented the "shine/light reflection" later. Ex: The hair: Yellow first....then blanked out with white.

If this is how you did it, there is the problem of blanking out your ink outlines as well unintentionally. I can see some blurred ink outlines and that bothers me.

Questions:
1) Do you use Photoshop?

2) If so, do you use the magic wand? The magic wand tool helps you to protect your ink outlines while coloring. Another option is layers. However, I'll let you answer my questions, before I pursue any deeper in my comments or recommendations.

heh, I know coloring is a pain in the butt but when you do it right and look back at the finished product, the feelings of satisfaction and joy are worthed those hours. That's how it is for me. ^_^ I'm glad you've started to color, good effort! :thumb:
Mave

Postby Chapel » Tue May 04, 2004 12:03 pm

[Yeah I look forward to seeing your work UC and to Mave in answer to the questions posed.

Chapel, here's some comments regarding your colored image. The backgrounds are fine. It looked like you colored the main color first and then implemented the "shine/light reflection" later. Ex: The hair: Yellow first....then blanked out with white.

Yes I did that, first timer you know I have learned my lesson, I don't use the majic wand because the version of photo programer I have is jankity, However I do use something similiar its like a line tool that double as a draw tool that selects an area. I have found this to be very useful in selecting exactly the area I want to color.

If this is how you did it, there is the problem of blanking out your ink outlines as well unintentionally. I can see some blurred ink outlines and that bothers me.

Yeah I should have used layers, and I did but I merged it to soon and then found more stuff I wanted to do, thus the smudged lines and the other badness LOL :comp:

Questions:
1) Do you use Photoshop?

as I said above no, but i will when I get my new computer this summer, yeah :sweat:

2) If so, do you use the magic wand? The magic wand tool helps you to protect your ink outlines while coloring. Another option is layers. However, I'll let you answer my questions, before I pursue any deeper in my comments or recommendations.

answered above

heh, I know coloring is a pain in the butt but when you do it right and look back at the finished product, the feelings of satisfaction and joy are worthed those hours. That's how it is for me. ^_^ I'm glad you've started to color, good effort! :thumb:

Yeah I plan on doing more in color but, i'm taking it in strides right now. I'll do more line art in color though.

Well thank you Mave, as always very helpful, i look forward to your fan art. UC good luck in the Shonen Comp.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Heart of Sword » Tue May 04, 2004 12:08 pm

I'm designing a manga called "Harusame" (Japanese for Spring Rain). It's about a half-wolf half-human named Karou who's extremely clumsy and happens to be terrified of Wal-mart bags because of past experiences. He's the adopted son of a huge wolf named Barak, who guards the forest. But when Barak gets sick and can only be healed with the aid of a rare plant found far up North, Karou is his only chance of survival.

P.S.: Beware. It's funny, yes, but depressing.
P.P.S.: It would probably be rated "T" for violence, but it's clean, no language and no adult themes, just occasional wars between wolf packs.
Heart of Sword's Rhapsody

Money, get away
Get a good job with good pay and you're okay
And all and all you're just another brick in the wall
Shoutin’ in the street gonna take on the world some day
But Bismallah will not let me go
Because I'll see you on the dark side of the moon

Tommy used to work on the docks
Union's been on strike
Bright eyes burning like fire
And exposing every weakness
However carefully hidden by the kids

Who will love a little Sparrow
Who's traveled far and cries for rest
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

I've seen a million faces and I've rocked them all
And if the band youre in starts playing different tunes
We will we will rock you
We will we will rock you!

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

[Bassist...finally learning Money]
Heart of Sword

Wow that sounds great

Postby Chapel » Tue May 04, 2004 7:18 pm

I have a comic about good guys that look like evil doers and the villians all look like your normal good guys and the side kick to the main good guy is named Sam and she is a russian Wear-Bear. So maybe we could team up sometime and do a comic battle, like a DC vs Marvel thing where my Wear Bears battle one of your clans. That still sounds hiliarias and I can't wait to see some conceptual art for it. If on the other hand you were a writer looking for artists I would pitch my talent that way.

Chapel
Chapel

Check out the fan art that Mave did for me

Postby Chapel » Fri May 07, 2004 11:50 pm

Ok this is some Fan art Mave did for me, you can also check it out at my websight. Three cheers for MAVE, now let this inspire the rest of you. Send me fan art. LOL just kidding you don't have to if you don't want to. But I would like to see your work. Well without any further ado Maves fanart for my comic.

Thank you Mave,

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Mave » Sat May 08, 2004 9:38 am

Heart of Sword wrote:I'm designing a manga called "Harusame" (Japanese for Spring Rain). It's about a half-wolf half-human named Karou who's extremely clumsy and happens to be terrified of Wal-mart bags because of past experiences. He's the adopted son of a huge wolf named Barak, who guards the forest. But when Barak gets sick and can only be healed with the aid of a rare plant found far up North, Karou is his only chance of survival.

P.S.: Beware. It's funny, yes, but depressing.
P.P.S.: It would probably be rated "T" for violence, but it's clean, no language and no adult themes, just occasional wars between wolf packs.

hehe I would look forward to this unusual story plot. Where does this take place and how on earth did WalMart get into this? :brow:

*sees her fanart for Chapel* Ack, what's this doing here? Heh, no prob, just glad I didn't have to color it. :grin:
Mave

Aw Mave

Postby Chapel » Sat May 08, 2004 11:41 am

It was so beautiful that I had to share it with those who don't visit my websight. Really I was awstruck. It looks so professional. You will be a great Mnaga artist and I will be able to say I knew you when. Oh and get ready i'll have some fan art for you in no time at all. Question do you want me to post your fan art here or PM it to you? Oh and lastly aaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh :waah!: evil cliff hanger!Mave why must you make us wait to find out what happens, is it a love confession, is it a question. Oh well, can't be helped I guess. You comic is coming along great, I love the story, the characters seem very real and not over exagerated. You have been blessed with amazing skills. :thumb: God smiles apon this project.

Thanks Chapel
Chapel

Postby PotBelliedCow » Sat May 08, 2004 6:14 pm

I never did have any interest in seriously drawing manga until my friend saw me doodling in my French notes...it was then she stuck her pen at my throat and demanded I draw a manga for her...O_o

Really my friend and I are writing a manga, or rather she's dictating it to me while I draw it. It's actually kinda fun. I might post a few sketches but they're not at the same calibur as Mave lol

Go manga artists and writers (and those forced into it)!!!

Eh? :eh:
PotBelliedCow

Postby Heart of Sword » Sun May 09, 2004 11:58 am

Harusame (Spring Rain) takes place in the wilderness, where a teenage half-wolf boy is being cared for by Barak, a great silver wolf who was given the authority by God to guard one of the last large forests in the world. It takes place in the present and will hopefully be published soon.

WalMart got into this because Maya, a shepherd girl, had bought something from WalMart and left the bag laying around. It was an especially windy day and the wind blew the bag up into the air and right onto Karou's head; he of course panics, runs into a tree, and gets knocked out cold. *laughs*

There are also very freaky ravens called Shadows that can possess and control other creatures. They are an allegory for demons and are very, very spooky. And dangerous, especially when they take over the minds of bears...*runs*

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

[Pink Floyd fan listening to Queen and hugging trees which is also known as taking care of God's creation with a pair of headphones on listening to Nightwish as loud as possible while writing a novel on a computer in the middle of a field filled with Wolves.]

Heart of Sword

looks like you have really thought this out

Postby Chapel » Sun May 09, 2004 11:56 pm

I would warn you to look into the laws of using the name Walmart or images you might have to switch it to a massive company of your own creation, I used the word target in one of my comix and had to get permission... well i didn't have too, but i did. It just keeps you safe in the legal realm so you don't have to go back through all your comix and change walmart to something else. Other than that I look forward to seeing your conceptual art, and first story points. It sounds great. Just be careful when it comes to using brand names. I really think this will be great fun, drop us some art for constructive crit.

Chapel :thumbsup:
Chapel

Postby Heart of Sword » Tue May 11, 2004 7:21 am

Thanks for the advice. I haven't named the bag "walmart" yet so I'll change the company name.

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

Heart of Sword

Postby Kireihana » Tue May 11, 2004 5:12 pm

Well I am happy to say that I have my first paid commission... sorta... my dad wants me to draw a series of pictures for a slideshow he's presenting at his work and in return he's picking up my Shonen Jump subscription. ^^ Then I have fanart for Chapel I have to complete, and I want to draw pictures of all my friends for graduation (and I am still working on that LotR manga, it's just kinda back there on the priority list for now, lol). Yeesh, I sure have a lot to do...

Great picture Mave, I love the poses! And PotBelliedCow I'd like to see some of your artwork sometime! (If you want to, that is)^^
Kireihana

Postby Chapel » Thu May 13, 2004 12:05 pm

Kireihana thats awsome, I would look into a local paper and see if they would like you to do line art, you get paid, and you then have art out there that people can see. I have also called bands I like to see if i can do merch for them, So far I have gotten two bands and that really cool especially when you see people walking around with gear you designed.

Heart of Sword I didn't say you couldn't use Walmart, if you don't want to go to all the trouble of getting permission that's fine, however imagine if you did get permission. THat would be great because everyone knows walmart... well everyone except Paris Hilton. But if they ok that then you have a media soure that people can laugh at and make relations too. I would at least try. Because if you could use Walmart it would just be that much more hilarious. You might try other stores as well such as k-mart, food for less, target, and any other store with plastic bags, heck might even try Pamida. Well thats all I got bye all TTFN.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Heart of Sword » Sat May 15, 2004 2:51 pm

Mmg I'll try to get permission. I just don't like legal/permission getting/waiting for five years to get permission junk. What do I have to do to get permission...?

Yeah it would be funny, considering the girl had like TEN bags because Wal-mart was having ANOTHER clearance sale, all the bags blew away and were chasing poor Karou who thought they were ghosts...ghosts of the things that nobody bought at the sale. (I'm not giving away anything else because it won't be as funny)

Alright then I'll go get permission, but could you please tell me how?

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

Heart of Sword

Did anyone notice we passed 100

Postby Chapel » Mon May 17, 2004 2:33 pm

That is awsome, we have surpased 100 posts we are a copmmunity of believers interacting in areas we enjoy. I love you guys.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby wiggins » Wed May 19, 2004 6:07 am

Can someone gauge my level and reccomend to ma a manga drawing book that could help me out wherever I am, and reccomend a manga drawing book on backgrounds? Thanks!
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby Mave » Wed May 19, 2004 8:36 am

Do you own any manga, wiggins? Those are my best resources and references. I select a few manga titles (Eg. Rurouni Kenshin, Black Cat, Hot Gimmick) and try to recreate their style. hehe
Mave

Postby wiggins » Wed May 19, 2004 9:17 am

I'm already doing that with Kenshin, and Trigun.
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

you should definately go with

Postby Chapel » Wed May 19, 2004 11:04 pm

You should go with

Blade of the immortal

Slayers

Blue Monday

OMG

Anything from Dark wave

To Be Cont (tee hee)

THere are many many titles I'd say use them to learn certain things like the folds in clothes, or the setup and use of the face and body, however the best part of doing your own manga is that it is your own. Try and find your own style, With me I feel I have started to create a style all my own and I hope it will stay and become better, I still watch anime and read manga to learn more like folds in clothes, shoes, legs and other details as such. I would truely recomend you create at as close as you can to your own style.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Heart of Sword » Fri May 21, 2004 2:57 pm

I select a few manga titles (Eg. Rurouni Kenshin, Black Cat, Hot Gimmick) and try to recreate their style. hehe

A-a-a-h...tsk-tsk, Chapel-dono! ^^x (I'm kidding)

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

Heart of Sword

Postby starstoryteller » Sat May 22, 2004 3:23 pm

New Artist

Name

Clarissa Merritt I has been drawing for 5 years. when I was little it was a way for me to exsprice my feelings(and still is).But now it's a way to tell storys.

Materials

any paper I can get my hands on, a drawing brush, white eraser, and my good friend's Scaner and Phoutoshop(not mine).

Strangths
Graceful women, Bishies(masculen Bishies mind you).
some perstives, hands and feet (people in general) and horses and cats

Weaknesses
blidings and blackround but who doesn't?

Current Projects
My manga Exiled

Infuences
At first it was salior moon when I was 10.
Then I read Manga Mania when I was 12. Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin)
i only use his work for action when I am suck :bang: on what to do for that.
:comp: "Foul Beast"

Jesus is the Lord of the Kings

I love hypper people :hug:

"...art can teach without at all ceasing to be art."

"Love may forgive all infirmities and love still in spite of them: but Love cannot cease to will their removal."

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

the words of C.S. Lewis "Jack"
starstoryteller

Postby Kireihana » Sun May 23, 2004 6:20 am

Welcome, Starstoryteller! ^____^ You are so lucky that you have access to Photoshop!

I also have trouble with backgrounds. But, from observation and trial and error, the only thing I can suggest is to use a ruler and take as much time on your backgrounds (if not more) as you do with the main part of your drawing. Watsuki is definitely a great artist to look at if you have trouble with bgs.

In retrospect, drawing the background actually isn't that hard, it's getting the characters to fit into the background realistically that is a challenge....
Kireihana

star story teller

Postby Chapel » Sun May 23, 2004 6:25 pm

Welcome i would like to see your art work and maybe a synopsis of you comic

Chapel
Chapel

Postby wiggins » Mon May 24, 2004 10:57 am

Hello! Nice to meet you!
wiggins

Postby Mave » Mon May 24, 2004 7:18 pm

:D Hellooo....nice to have you here Storyteller.

Any plans of letting us see what you're working on? :brow: *hint post pics hint*
Mave

Hey all I've done my second color strip coments

Postby Chapel » Wed May 26, 2004 1:36 am

Ok this is the second color strip I've done I'll give you both the first one you'll see is the first one I did, the secound... well the secod, give me thoughts, feedback please. I think I have improved quite a bit.

Chapel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chapel

Postby Nalani » Thu May 27, 2004 11:31 am

Hey guys!!! I'm back!
XD I bet I say that everytime. T_T anyway.
I'll try to be here more.

Welcome StarStoryTeller!!!! *waves*

And chapel!
The comics look good!
I like the colors. And the fire effect is awesome! ^_^ I can't do that ... I don't think.
There was a few places here and there that I thought could do with a little
shadowing. Even if just a little bit. Like the faces and hand. To match the other
things that are shaded. Anyway! ^___^ Very funny! lol. I'm a fan.
I need to get that fan art to yah before next week.
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~William Penn :hug: :poke: :grin:
Nalani

Postby Heart of Sword » Thu May 27, 2004 1:44 pm

Hello! *walks in carrying a massive load of manga paper and dropping it all over the floor* Oopsies. ;^^x Welcome Starstoryteller! You should post some of your work sometime.

My manga is almost done! Just a ... few ... more...pages...*is up all night with a pen and paper* Lookit the cover! *pokes the cover*

And that's all I'm posting on it today...*sits on papers so that nobody sees* ...Anyway, I'm more likely to post it somewhere on some kind of distant website and then link to it.

By the way, there's no adult situations, no nudity, no language, none of that junk, but there is a part that's pretty violent. It's rated "T".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Money, get away

Union's been on strike

We will we will rock you

Heart of Sword

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews