Manga artiests and writers unite

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:25 pm

I would suggest starting a new thread, wiggins, in the Computing forum. If you'd like I could create such a thread, but perhaps it would be better if you did so. Don't worry about this post, I'll delete it whenever you've made a proper thread.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kireihana » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:05 am

Um, okay, here's a practice thing I kinda did... Just experimenting with frames and stuff. I've never really done this before, but Superninjaspy encouraged me to start working on actual pages. ^^ I'm not sure what I intended for this; it's just a girl, but I haven't written anything in it yet. Despite its simplicity, it took me a pretty long time. I'm so slooooww!!!! :bang:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kireihana

Postby wiggins » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:41 am

Whoah that's really good! Are the eyes meant to be that way?
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Postby Kireihana » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:48 am

Yeah... do they look bad? I kinda scribbled them in. I wanted them to be sparkley. ^^ Hmm... the scanner seemed to make the pic thinner than it really is...
Kireihana

Postby inkhana » Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:31 pm

I have trouble with things looking a lot different after they are scanned...O.o I'm not sure if I just really messed up when I drew them in the first place, or if seeing them on a monitor simply distorts my perspective.

Back ontopic, your work is really cute, Kireihana! I don't think the sparklies in the eyes are a problem; I do notice that the left eye (our left) is slightly smaller vertically than the right one. I have the same trouble sometimes though...XD

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

The structure

Postby Chapel » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:31 pm

Wow you have skills i want. You have legs that I can only dream about in art. Most of the time when I draw legs they are covered by jeans, when they aren't the legs look like some kinda worlds strongest woman contest. So I envey your talent. I have been practicing that for a long time. well a few months. Having your own comic demands you to make yourself better LOL.

-Chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:34 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I'm kinda worried about that... starting my own comic... because what if I get tired of art!?? I don't think that will ever happen... but it worries me just the same. My interests always change so much so quickly. ... I think I think too much. (!?)

Anyway, I went to the store today and got some new supplies!
1 pad of Bristol board smooth paper
1 super-fat Sharpie (for inking big areas)
1 medium Sharpie (again, large inking)
1 kneaded eraser
4 Sakura Micron inkpens:
.25mm
.35mm
.45mm
.50mm

So, how did I do? Did I pick good stuff? Lol. Now I gotta figure out how to use these things... *has never worked with inkpens before* - actually, that's not true. I've outlined my artwork with Pilot pens before, but never gone beyond outlining. I'd like to learn to use positive and negative spaces better now that I have a lot of black inkpens. Also I have to figure out how to use tone (on Paint Shop Pro 7)

Oh, and just a question out of curiosity: Some mangaka use "tones" that are like pieces of paper or something (like in Parfait Tic). What exactly are those, and how do they work? It's been bothering me ever since I read that manga... lol.
Kireihana

Postby Nalani » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:39 pm

Nooooooooo!!!
I just typed a really long thing about everybodies pics
and then when I went to post it the thing signed me off
and I lost everything I typed!!! T_T
Awww! I'm SO MAD!
I wrote so much.
for Chapel. Royal Wings. and Kireihana.
T__T and its all gone.
I don't even feel like typing anymore.

I'll come back again. Friday. maybe.

I was saying though before.
Happy Belated Easter
and sorry I haven't been around in a while
but its almost the end of the semster for me
and tests and stuff is piling up.

So ... yeah. *cries*
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~William Penn :hug: :poke: :grin:
Nalani

Postby Kireihana » Wed Apr 14, 2004 2:48 pm

Aww. That's happened to me before, I'm so sorry! But goshdarnit, you've reminded me about end-of-year exams....
Kireihana

Postby Mave » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:15 pm

Kireihana wrote:Thanks. Yeah, I'm kinda worried about that... starting my own comic... because what if I get tired of art!??

Huh? You guys ever get tired of mangakaing? I usually take a break, read some manga titles and get the creative juices and motivation rolling again.

Anyway, I went to the store today and got some new supplies!
1 pad of Bristol board smooth paper
1 super-fat Sharpie (for inking big areas)
1 medium Sharpie (again, large inking)
1 kneaded eraser
4 Sakura Micron inkpens:
.25mm
.35mm
.45mm
.50mm

Sounds like a fine list. I usually just use good old photocopy A4 paper though.

Oh, and just a question out of curiosity: Some mangaka use "tones" that are like pieces of paper or something (like in Parfait Tic). What exactly are those, and how do they work? It's been bothering me ever since I read that manga... lol.

I think that's the traditional way of mangakaing. I heard those screentone manga sheets are pretty expensive and screentoning the traditional way are very laborious. It's an option I'll never take since I don't have the time for it. I just digitally screentone my manga.

Ah...looks like I'm not the only one reading Parfait Tic.
Mave

Postby Pepper Kittie » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:54 pm

I think that's the traditional way of mangakaing. I heard those screentone manga sheets are pretty expensive and screentoning the traditional way are very laborious. It's an option I'll never take since I don't have the time for it. I just digitally screentone my manga.

Yeah, Screentones are really expensive. The store near me had them for $2.14 per sheet, and those sheets are pretty small. You can probably get them cheaper online if you're really interested and search for them, but it's still a ton of money to do anything. I tried once and it cost a lot just to do the first 6 pages 0_o

Lol, I don't think I'll ever get tired of drawing or making comics. I may get tripped up on the storyline or pose every so often, but never drawing in general. It's just so fun ^o^
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Postby Kireihana » Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:06 pm

Oh. I wasn't thinking of buying screen tones, I was just curious about them. I don't have the time nor the patience to hand-tone my artwork! ^^ You sound like a dedicated artist, Pepper Kittie. Why don't you post some of your art here?
Kireihana

This is great

Postby Chapel » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:09 pm

Nalani that has happened to me too so I sympathize, I'd like to here what you had to say about all of us. As for Drawing media all of you sound so professional. I use Bic Pens and Computer printing paper. Once I'm finished with that I scan it into the computer and touch it up a little. THat involves erasing the lines you used as guides and smudges. Quick work in photo shop. I also ussually smoth out shadows and the eyes. Most of my art work is hard lined and detailed. So the contrast can be quite noticable sometimes. So I try and keep it to areas that will draw the eyes like the eyes. Sreentones... Wow thats a whole new level of ouch with the time constraints that I have. I'm a professional artist for a paper and between that another job, homework, my comic and the zillion other things I do. Time is not there. As for losing your lust for drawing. THat happens to everyone. Look at drawing as a marriage. YOu will have your up times and your down times. In the end the work is beautiful. YOu will ussually come back to the love, but sometimes mental breaks are very good, keep doodling to keep it alive, but give the mental strain a break. Well thats all from me. I'll be back later. bye then.

-Chapel

ps surprisingly I was astonished no one else had picked this name? "Chapel"
Chapel

This is where I'm going

Postby Chapel » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:41 am

I posted this same thing in my To Be Cont.. Thread. So if you read it there don't worry about reading it here. I just thought this thread gets more hits I wanted to hear what every one had to say or what they thought about it.

Ok my manga is about people I know basically and some I have made up. It is a reality mocking strip. So when you see Christians in the strip they act like most christians do in real life. I'm not going to portray them as always doing the right thing. In fact there is a bit coming up where they all go out to the beach and there is also alchohal involved. Am I promoting this behavior, certainly not. Is this what can happen?

Most assurably for Christians the pressure to sin is almost greater. We want to fit in just as bad as everyone else. Especially in a syncratistic world like we live in. Some Christians don't see the wrong in over indulgance. The main character is based off myself. He will drink, however not in excesse. During the camping trip we somehow manage to grab a goth kid and bring him along. On the way home we find out he is a wiccan and he finds out we were all Christians. He is surprised that we were all drinking and carring on like we did. And brings it up. Needless to say this throws us for a loop. After we drop him off it is said "wow! It really takes a non- believer to point out your sins or what your doing wrong" Something like that.

Anyway I am trying to catch the reality of being a christian, it isn't all Jesus this and Jesus that. It can be really hard and I'll deal with all kinds of issues one of my charcters will drink alot I'll have a special story line dealing with that problem, Lust will enter into it, cussing and put downs, as well as theft and cheating, and a loss of belief with out turning back.

The truth of the matter isn't how good we are it's salvation and the forgiveness. I'll deal with these issues as well. However it is hard to convey this message some times. So I just wanted you all to know that I was not indorcing sin I am just trying to depict reality. Brothers and sisters you all know it's hard out there and I just want to show others what it is like from a Christian point of view. This comic used to be called "My life" so these are issues I've delt with myself.

In fact I have walked this road. The road to redemption is narrow and hard to tread. I'm still stumbling and falling but it is that reality that makes my comic believable. (Most of it LOL) I just wanted you all to know where I was coming from and where I was going.

-Chapel
Chapel

Postby true_noir_chloe » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:46 pm

Just thought I'd drop in and see some of the art and comments. Kireihana, great stuff! You're all very good. I won't critique, since I'm not artist, all I can say is what I like, and I like quite a bit of what I've seen.

Chapel, PLEASE break up your paragraphs. It is very hard to read that much text all in one paragraph. I'm pretty sure I saw Psycho Ann write the same thing. I quit reading what you wrote because it's just too much effort for my old eyes. ^_^

[size=84][color=seagreen]YOU SEE

You see into the deepest part of me ---

beyond the fog I hide behind.

You cast your light upon the shadows

that stretch like cobwebs in my mind.

You ease the pain when I am hurting,

and morbid visions from my past

pierce into the realm of Reason

as though I danced on blades of glass.

You grant me strength when I have fallen

and, once again, I've lost my way.

You take my hand in Yours and lead me

into the promise of a brand new day.

You bring order to all my chaos,

yet set my well-laid plans awry.

You place me on a firm foundation ---

then give me wings so I can fly.

You sand away my roughened edges

and polish all the dullest parts

until I stand before Your presence...

a newly-sculpted work of art.

You see into the heart within me,

right through my motives and selfish will.

And yet, in spite of all You see

You say You love me even still.

~by D.M.~

[/color][/size]
true_noir_chloe

Postby Pepper Kittie » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:20 pm

Kireihana: Someday I hope to post more art here (I draw on the CAA oekaki in my boredom XD) I started over on my comic so at the moment I really don't have enough to post 0_o Eh heh.

Btw, the picture in your signiture is SO funny!! Yee! XD *dies of laughter* I'm easily amused... hee. What anime is it from?
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
~John 10:10

~* Advocate Voice *~
Pepper Kittie

Sorry noir

Postby Chapel » Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:47 am

I'll try and space out what I write for them old eyes. Well I find it fasinating no one commented for or against my previous post. I know it was quite lengthy I appologize. I may not have given it enough time however. Well That aside I'm getting interview for a private magazine for an alumni magazine for Journalizm students from K-State. It's exciteing because I studiesd to be a Preacher and yet my art is what is doing well right now. Makes me happy you know.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:39 am

Pepper Kittie wrote:Kireihana: Someday I hope to post more art here (I draw on the CAA oekaki in my boredom XD) I started over on my comic so at the moment I really don't have enough to post 0_o Eh heh.

Btw, the picture in your signiture is SO funny!! Yee! XD *dies of laughter* I'm easily amused... hee. What anime is it from?

It's from Azumanga Daioh - the first English DVD volume is being released this month from ADV. (There's also a great manga too!)

Congrats Chapel, I hope you get the job!
Kireihana

Postby Chapel » Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:22 pm

Congrats Chapel, I hope you get the job![/QUOTE]

Well actually its an interview about my art in the collegian. Its an alumni magazine so ot will go out to every journalizim student from K-state. So the PR from this will be incredible. So I'm excited it might lead to a job though. Well Talk to yall later.

chapel
Chapel

I need fan art

Postby Chapel » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:35 pm

This is a call out to all you artists. You got the skills now show me your stuff I need fan art for my web comic and I want any of you to do it. If you have a spare moment sheck it out and draw it up. I would love to through your art work up and let people love it. Thank you thats all.
YOu can send it either to my contact address at the flamingcat or to

tobecontjm@yahoo.com

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:05 pm

I'd be happy to do some fanart for you. ^^ Recently I've committed myself to drawing at least an hour a day working on my LotR manga, but maybe this weekend I'll have some extra time.

Yep, I'm doing LotR as a manga. I don't know if I'll ever finish it or not, but I'm really just doing it to hone my skills. Drawing hobbits so much should improve my skills at drawing feet! So far I've only finished one page (I started yesterday). It took me about 2+ hours, lol. Pleace give some C/C as this is my first ever inked page.

I know that in the first frame one of Frodo's legs looks longer than the other, but I didn't notice that until after I inked it! Oh well! Also in the 3rd frame I don't think Frodo looks the same as he does on the top... But I'm happy; I got shiny hair alright and I wasn't expecting a masterpiece on my first attempt anyway. Please read it right-to-left.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kireihana

Postby Chapel » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:53 am

I think it looks great, as for reading it right to left, there isn't alot to read LOL. Aside from that My only constuctive critisism would be about the last panel where he is running off. I would work on depth, forshortening, and the way people look when they are running away from you. Not that that happens of course LOL. But have someone stand a decent distance away from you and in a running pose I think you would then get that frame down perfect.

As for the whole LOTR thing are you going by the book or the movies? Secondly be very careful about how you do this I would advise you to get inouch with who ever has the copyrights to this and ask if they would mind you doing a manga for it, especially if you ever want to publish it. Other than that I am looking forward to your fan art, you and Royal Wing both.
Keep drawing your inking abilities look better every day.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:50 pm

I am doing it after the movies and as a fan sort of thing. I didn't know I could get in trouble for something like that. Maybe I should contact NewLine or something...O.O
Kireihana

Postby Nalani » Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:32 pm

woah, a LotR manga?! Is it like a fan fic or the actual story?! O_O
^_^ Good luck!

Um anyway.
Let me comment on your comic strip.
I wanted to say this for the practise strip but I see the
same problem in this strip too.
When you draw the panels for your scenes it is best that
you think about how you organize them.
Its best that you draw them in a way that will direct the readers
eyes in the direction to read.
You see what I'm saying?!
For example, you said that we're supposed to read from right to left.
But the comic directed my eyes from the top pic to the left, not the right.
I think what is causing this is the little panel where the boy is just
opening his eyes. Its kinda hard to read from left to right and left again.
It causes confusion.
Other than that mistake the paneling is good.

I like the drawings, I don't really see anything wrong.
Its would be better though if there was a little detail in the tree
(Cause it kinda looks like he's flying in the air.)
And in the last panel, the speed lines look to crowdy.
It would have been better to leave a circle space clear at the middle.

^_^ You did a great job, so far. Keep practising!
God bless!

Oh and Chapel, I'll try to do fan art too. ^^;; Try. Not too good at it. XD
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~William Penn :hug: :poke: :grin:
Nalani

Postby Kireihana » Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:45 pm

Well, the actual story. ^^ Condensed, of course - even more condensed than the movies. Like I said it's just a fun project I'm kinda doing, I'm not exactly sure if I will (or can) finish it. It's an act of fanship (to the nth degree) and I don't plan to make any profit off it... so it's not a legal problem, right??! ... Chapel, I took your advice and sent an email to NewLine Cinema. I hope they give me permission to post my work on the internet!

Oh, and about your comments, Nalani - I too realized that after I inked it. ^^ I think the eye panel would be much better placed above the panel where he sits up. Maybe I can somehow edit that on the computer. And as for the tree, I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure how to detail it without using tone (don't know how to tone on PSP7), but I might get some ideas by looking at older manga. I.E. Dragonball Z or something before tonage was popular.

Anyway thanks for you comments, because I was thinking I might get by without tweaking a couple of things, but I now see it's important to get every little thing right in order to make the images most effective. I'll try to improve on the frame layout & background detailing (as well as the foreshortening Chapel mentioned) in my continuing pages. Oh, and there will be dialogue. Lol!
Kireihana

Postby wiggins » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:06 pm

Sweet! I'm looking forward to your LOTR manga Kireihana! That was one great eye!

Is everyone supposed to post their artwork in the gallery now, or can we still post here?
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

You can still post here

Postby Chapel » Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:15 am

It is easier for us to cratique if it is in the same forum, I don't know if the gallarey atomatically uploads what ever you post wherever. Anyway. So yeah I have to go work on a large book report. bye noe.

chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:14 pm

Unfortunately, I haven't had any time lately to work on the LotR manga, due to excessive homework.-_- But I'm really wanting to continue, hopefully the teachers will lighten up a bit this week!

Along the lines of Wiggins's question, what is the point of the Art Corner if we're all supposed to post in the Gallery now? Or are we? ...
Kireihana

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:07 pm

I would interprete the Gallery as a place to show art, and the art corner as more of a place to ask about art being worked upon or things the artists is uncertain of. This is just my opinion, but I was not a part of the process to create the Gallery.
uc pseudonym

Speaking of gallarys

Postby Chapel » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:11 pm

I recently updated my gallary so if you want to see new picture of the characters in To Be Cont. Go to http://www.theflamingcat.com, click home on the TBC comic and then click gallarys. I have added quite a few. Any way still looking forward the the fan art from friends here. Here is a shout out thing who all that have posted in this forum or other wise is in on this web manga with zip?

Chapel
Chapel

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews