Manga artiests and writers unite

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Mave » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:29 pm

Hey guys,

the reason I'm not really commenting is because I don't want to hinder anyone from developing their own style and partially, I always dread I'll discourage someone unintentionally. ^^; I hope everyone understands.

Please, if you want a full detailed critique, I'm available via PM. Thanks! ^^
Mave

Postby Psycho Ann » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:52 am

Glad I helped Chapel! I really like TBC and since it's a comic STRIP then paneling wise there's nothing wrong ^^ I liked it better when you used the layout where there's space between the panels. When you just divide pictures with a single thick line, most of the time the whole strip appears more crowded. Notice that most comic strips have spaces between panels--including manga 4koma strips. But maybe that's just me XD.
Besides paneling, I'm just partial to comic fonts in comics XD Is that Comic MS you're using? I used that for a long time before I downloaded Blambot custom and you can try it out if you like ^^ http://www.psychoteers.com/Misc/blambotcustom.ttf (copy the file to your Windows/Fonts folder)

I'm still threading my way through it but I sure will let you know anything else! (Mark is adorable, lol, he's that kind of guys you desperately root for to get the girl ^^)

Mave, it's understandable ^^ I personally learned SO much from detailed critiques. Especially ones that tackle the basics like proportion, composition, etc. I used to not want any advice just to keep my own style, but once I learned of the basics, it's so true what the masters say: you must know the rules before you break them.

As for discouraging anyone, I would bluntly say that if someone gets discouraged from critiques, then they aren't prepared when they get into the world and get *critics*. It's an extremely ugly world out there, especially regarding art which is so subjective, and when we're representing God in a world that would tear us apart it's even more important to try our best.

I learned so much in just two semesters than I did in 10 years just because the instructors pointed out--clearly--in detail the basics, what I did wrong, different techniques of masters, etc. I hope I can accomplish a bit of that by giving detailed critiques ^^ But only to those that are up to it XD XD XD
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby Nalani » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:36 am

Awww. No one wants to comment on my stuff?! I need help too. T_T
I posted them on
Page 2
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~William Penn :hug: :poke: :grin:
Nalani

Postby Gypsy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:47 am

Psycho Ann wrote:As for discouraging anyone, I would bluntly say that if someone gets discouraged from critiques, then they aren't prepared when they get into the world and get *critics*. It's an extremely ugly world out there, especially regarding art which is so subjective, and when we're representing God in a world that would tear us apart it's even more important to try our best.

I learned so much in just two semesters than I did in 10 years just because the instructors pointed out--clearly--in detail the basics, what I did wrong, different techniques of masters, etc. I hope I can accomplish a bit of that by giving detailed critiques ^^ But only to those that are up to it XD XD XD

Words of wisdom right there. Good criticism and honest feedback are actually worth more than pages of compliments. Sometimes, it's a little hard to swallow, but after a while you don't even have to pretend that you're not taking offense - because you're really not.
Gypsy

Postby Nalani » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:47 pm

oh yeah and can you also comment on the pic I entered in last months contest?! Is there anything that looks weird? Anything I can do to make it better?! My skills are really limited, and I really really want to get better.
So can you help a sister out?!
Or do I have to beg some more? XD lol.

(Don't forget about the other pics on Page 2 .)
"I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good therefore that I can do, or any kindness or abilities that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer it or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again." ~William Penn :hug: :poke: :grin:
Nalani

Postby Psycho Ann » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:26 pm

Sure! I'll get on it later ^^ Come on, everyone else can chip in too ^^ It's great to have a GROUP critique since every person usually sees something others don't! And it really trains the eye ;)
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.

Psycho Ann

Postby Chapel » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:13 am

Wiggins

This is my first look evaluation your picture is messy, now in no way is that to say the picture is bad, It simply means clean it up abit. The composition is very good, You need to get some form of photoshop or is this is by hand, erease the smudges. Now what this picture has is a stroy because of the smudges. Lets see if I catch it. The girl is very clean looking and very well drawn congrats. the boy however has the smudges let me go as far as to guess you had to erease and redraw that part alot. In that case you are already one the road to success because you are recognizing your own shortcomings and are correcting them. The end product of the way the young man is composed is very well done, I can tell you put alot of time and energy into this picture. The porportions of the characters are for the most part right on. So leave the controller in proportion as well. That controller was what drew my eye, because unless he is playing X-box that controller is a little too large. That is dealt with easily by just understanding the size of the controler in contrast to the size of the people, here is where I would stand in from of a body mirror and hold said object in front of you. It may sound weird, but really it helps alot, so you get a feel for it's actual size. Also about the controller, the detail is really good on it, I f i remember correctly a madcats airflow controller made to allow air movement so your hands don't get all clammy. Just a guess I could be way off my rocker. The TV holder is very, very well drawn. the horizion line is used and you maintain it through that part of the composition. I might also decue that this was an actual picture that you drew from. The life like natures of the charcter involved point to that conclusion, and the sharp detail used in all the items in the picture. Over all, clean up your work, bring a professional quality to it based on your style. maybe darken the lines around them (my personal style) or lighten the lines, once you find a method that you're most comfortable with, go with it. The rest lies in practice, practice, practice. Each of your works I see, I can tell you are getting better and better.
Keep drawing Wig.

-Chapel
Chapel

good job Nalani heres what I think

Postby Chapel » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:51 am

To Nalani

Alright this is to another artist, bless you for your work in the kingdom. Heres to you. Ok In my opinion and mind you this is my opinion. the best of all of your work I've seen here is the winner of this last monthes art contest. The composition was good and the concept interesting and insightful. You had a point on your horizon line that everything went too equally and that worked well for you. The bubbles of past deeds to me could have been more detailed and the actual bubble defined more. IT seems to blend too easily with the background. If this was what you were going for... good job. Proportion wise the body and limbs are very good. The head seems a bit small. To remedy that simply look in a mirror and model the size of your own heart in comparision to your body. It's the best way I could ever do it with mine. As you might have noticed in alot of my art the heads are actually too big so I suffer from the opposite of this. THe hair is great. I love the way it falls, and I am left to wonder about the stain glass windows. Was this a program on the computer or something else, or drawn by hand. In anycase I like them, they bring a real sense of balance to the picture. Quick note the boot seems odd can't place it, it may be fine.

Next work the girl on the florr I absolutely love this one, it is so cute and the whole picture tells a story. Like she feel asleep with a good book and is dreaming of its contents. I think you should finish the PJ's Critically I would point out the arm holding the book. Your girl is a strong sleeper if she can hold up a book while she sleeps. Show that the arm and book fall from the shoulder to the floor and thus the book would be on the floor completely, not with an edge over the leg. Or in the case that the book is on the leg show the upward slant. use a little bit of forshortening. I also like the detail in the notebook showing that the girl likes to doodle.

In the armor of God this is a nice concept, but I think the picture becomes jumbled with as many figures as you have present. THe birds and armor, and whisps of smoke. I would approach this with a wider angle so as to incorperate all aspects and still not be so pushed to gether. the color variations were not balanced either. THe overemphasis on cool colors made the armor which was in the background leap forward. While important as part of the story I think the armor would do well to be dulled a bit or for the girl to wear warm colors that would balance the picture. I do like the shadowy characters, very omonious. If you do this in a larger enviroment I would keep them close to her. With the whisps I might recommend a slight glow about the figures instead of the whisps. also keep the whisps transperant in nature, but still seen. Also I might recomend thinner whisps. Over all a wonderful and inspiring Idea. Run with it.

the smoking angel I don't quite follow the imagery, but no matter of this piece I look at the colors you have no real drakness aside from the colors of the shirt, I might recommend darker areas. The back ground may be too involved for this piece, but it falls on the line of maybe. The way you use color instead of black lines to indicate the end of the shape is a form i saw first used in the emporors new groove. I fells it worked very well there and it could work very ell with you, For it I would make the lines thinner and more defined thus defining the character more. Other than that I like the wings, they are pretty.

THats what I think, it is my opinion, but I hope you take something positive away from it. You have great talent, you and wiggens both. I would stress practice as much as possible and as critical a point I can make, look at your own work and see what you might change your self. We are most often our hardest critic. I think you will do well in this feild. Good luck in the future. God Bless and keep drawing

-chapel
Chapel

Postby Nalani » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:55 am

^__^ yay! thanks Chapel. I'll see if I can fix the Armor pic.
Oh yeah and I did do the stain glass windows by hand.
And the "smoking angel" lol. He's not really smoking. XD It was a random pic.
But I was more thinking of the smoke like a spirity kind of stuff. like. um.
er ... powerful breath stuff. Never mind. XD lol.
Thanks so much for the comments.
I'll definetly use them.

Wiggins, I'll be back to comment on yur pic, if you want. I thought it was cute. Just kinda messy with the scanning or something. be back later with more critiques. ^_^ (gtg)
Nalani

ur welcome

Postby Chapel » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:07 pm

Nalani wrote:Wiggins, I'll be back to comment on yur pic, if you want. I thought it was cute. Just kinda messy with the scanning or something. be back later with more critiques. ^_^ (gtg)

If you would like you could comment on mine, give some get some I always say, But seriously I'm sure ur just as insightful as I am. Check out my websight or comment on the art I've submitted either way love to hear from you. Websight is below. the trigun pic.

-chapel
Chapel

Postby Knives » Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:51 am

RoyalWing wrote:well... it's just that... I don't consider myself good enough/old enough/experienced to be considered and "artist". i like to draw, i like to write stories, but I just think I would humiliate myself by posting here next to all the geniuses!! So, that's why I'm not wanting to post...

Same with me. I am not very good at drawing just look at my thread titled scanner!!!
Knives

First off

Postby Chapel » Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:40 am

Ok that thread took some time to find, however as horrible as you think you are I see potential. Do you think all of us quote geinuses we born with this talent. We have all been where you are now and we all rose above it. I'd like to see a sample of your writing just the same. Here in fact I'll give you an assignment from me to you. I want you to write a three panel short about my comic TBC which you can find at http://www.theflamingcat.com Now I want you to write a short story consisting of a few of the characters from my story, go research my story read all the ones I've already posted get a feel for it and then create a senario that is humorous. For right now lets say nothing spiritual or earth shattering, no fart jokes. Just a quick little interaction. I'll see if I can sculpt your words into pictures. Then you'll have something to post. You can say hey look at that I wrote that. Oh yes. If you accept I may or may not use this, but I will do what I can to get it into my comic. Heres some more parameters. Try to make it a non-plot thing so something out side of story line like two people walking and talking, make it funny so people will laugh. and lastly make it your own. I may change some of your words to fit in panal constraints but not much. So what do you say, you who are so detirmined not to show your work here. I'll make the strips and post em for ya. Well go forth and try it out. THis also goes out to anyone else who may want to see how their writting skills fit in a horizontal pattern panal form. Anyway good luck if you choose to accept, and sorry to have bothered you if you do not.

About your art if you have questions then drop em here and we'll help you out, we may be critical but you will learns. Right off I did go and look at your art, my suggestions ar consistancy. Some of your pieces were one way others were another. I realize this is your self for your own style and I say go for it. Draw from life, look at everything and draw it, the girls head in front of you in class. Great place to learn how to draw hair. Draw your hands, your feet. any thing. With your pencil you are in control of a created world that is only possible through your mind. Apply your already learned basics and create great works.

-chapel
Chapel

All right back from spring break

Postby Chapel » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:48 pm

Well I went to Dallas for a concert Flogging Molly for Spring break it was awsome and I recomend everyone go out and do it. In new news I am so glad you all have posted and I encourage you all to continue I have learned a great deal because of this thread I hope others have as well. God BLes you all.

-Chapel
Chapel

Well just to let you all know

Postby Chapel » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:20 am

I posted almost this same thing on my TBC... thread but more people read this one. Anyway this is about updates to my websight.

By the way I just realized in my haste to create this thread I miss spelled Artists and I apologize, I couldn't figure out how to change it, so I'll remain a moked member of society.

Hey all of you who read my comic. First off thank you for the support. Well we have a few new installments at ww.theflamingcat.com one is the FAN ART page. THe other is the GALLERY. I have already loaded up the gallery with some pictures. I apologize if someone is offended by some of them being too racey. I tried to keep them all decent and so there is nothing more than cheesecake in this sight. Nothing more than swimsuit or underware. All are clothed. Anyway thats not the point. It's art in the end. Mainly come see and enjoy. I want this to be view and loved by as many friends as I have and as many friends as my friends have. I do consider you a group of my peers and friends at that. So thank you for your vigulance. Pray for me it's tuff being a writer artist but it's what I love.

-chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:25 am

Name
I've been going by Kireihana or Kirei for a long time now

Material
Oh man.. I use graphite pencils and a sketch pad ^_^;;; I haven't really been drawing manga with the intention of making a story or anything... I've really just been developing my skills. I've always drawn with whatever I had in reach- printer paper, school pencils, crayons, but now I really want to get into drawing/coloring professionally (as a 14-year-old, anyway) but I'm not sure what kind of materials to get. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Background
I've been drawing since I could hold a crayon... In preschool I didn't draw stick people like most kids my age, I drew whole bodies and clothing. I've always been a prefectionist and a stickler for detail which isn't always a good thing. I've always loved to draw, and I think I started drawing anime/manga style about two years ago. I had art instruction throughout elementary school, but I learned most of my techniques from experienced and on-line tutorials. No one else in my family is really into drawing, so I was mostly self-tought.

Current Projects
None. I want to get started!

Strengths
I'm really good at drawing people, people, people in general... faces and bodies are easy for me, and I've only recently been getting into complex poses which I'm quickly coming along with. My strongest point here is the body structure and shape. I used to be pretty bad at clothing folds but through practice I'm improving quickly. I'm okay at drawing animals but usually I need a picture or reference to look at. I have no set system for drawing animals, so they're harder for me than people.

Weaknesses
Backgrounds, without a doubt. Also, I'm a very impatient artist, and after spending a fair amount of time just drawing a picture, I tend to color it pretty fast and sometimes get a bit sloppy. I definitely need to learn to slow down. A lot of times I mess up a perfectly good drawing by coloring it to fast, and then I get mad and end up messing it up even more. Also I have trouble drawing and coloring hair.

Influence
Athey Nansel, who runs Bakaneko.com, because that's where I really learned the steps for drawing good bodies, and she has great tutorials.
Nobuhiro Watsuki (mangaka of Rurouni Kenshin) because I love his style and it's greatly influenced me
Takeshi Obata (artist of Hikaru no Go) because he does the most gorgeous art, and his coloring style and eye style have influenced me a whole lot

I have some example art I'd like to post, but unfortunately my teacher has it. It is a series of pictures about the Trojan War that I had to do for school. As soon as I get them back I'll scan them and post them. :thumb:
Kireihana

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:48 am

Sorry guys, I won't be able to do a detailed critique anytime soon >_< But Chapel is handling stuff well, I'll add anything later when I get the time ^^ Come on, more group critiques! Nalani?

Chapel: Only one thing... can you put more paragraphs into your posts? You said great stuff, but reading a big chunk of text is hard on the (coughmycough) brain >_<

Psycho Ann

Sorry I haven't posted in a while

Postby Chapel » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:57 pm

Hey Kireihana nice to have you aboard and I'm looking forward to your art. Sorry to hear you'll be away Ann. I look forward to your return. Knives I still wanna see your art man or girl. Ok well on an up note we have a store at my wesight merchandise city. I bring this up because you should all check out this websight it is awsome. It is http://www.cafepress.com you can operate a store for free and sell your products for free and just rake in the profits. Just thought I would share that with you all look up my store under search and TBC well. Keep posting and we will see what all we can acomplish as a group.

-chapel
Chapel

Important READ THIS

Postby Chapel » Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:56 pm

Hey al
l I know of a few people who are wary to post because they think they are not up to par with the rest of the artists. Stop that line of thinking right now. If anyone has ever said you got skils, or your good at what you do then you have a right to post here. If you haven't given anyone a chance to say that then now is that time. Come grow and let us help you. I look forward to all your posts. Keep the community alive.

Bit of inspiration a friend once told me. Every time you dont except a complament its like not accepting a Rose from God. God gave you the talent and when you do it well. You should get complamented. So when some one says to you wow that's really good. Don't say nah it isn't. Say thank you, I'm pleased you think so I am still working to be the best I can be.

-As a note of News I have a store up at my Web sight http://www.theflamingcat.com
READ THIS!!!!!

Go to a sight called http://www.cafepress.com it is a free internet webstore that you can have. To all of you out there with cool drawings you can turn them into even cooler merch. Ok I'm done.

-chapel
Chapel

Postby RoyalWing » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:51 pm

:grin: I...... AM GOING TO POST!! *humph!!*

Name
RoyalWing, Waddledee (old name)

Material
Umm... pencils, and this Staedler 0.1 permanent pen thingy I found in the store a while ago.

Background
I have been trying to draw japanese-style comics ever since I can remember, I think. This is probably due to: 1) cartoons I would watch on tv, 2)My obssession with Sailormoon from mid-kindergarten to grade 3, and 3) my dad reading me european comics all the time. ^-^ This is not so good considering it's very hard for me to draw realistic, and I was teased in school because I drew "Sailormoon People". :shady:

Current Projects
I have ideas written down, but I don't plan on starting on them yet. What I would really like is to make a one-shot short story of some kind to practice first, but I don't know where to get such a story...

Strengths
I don't really have any... I guess I like to draw faces, eyes, and clothing. I'm slightly perfectionist, I go over a drawing many times before I deem it "finished"~ XP

Weaknesses
I like clothing so much that I add too many folds or too little, so everyone either looks as if they have pillows wrapped around them or painted-on clothing.
Body anatomy. FEET.
Symmetry is a problem, complex poses....

Influence
CLAMP, the style they use in their comic "Clover" because that is my favourite comic book and I can't get enough of it!! o__o
The art for final fantasy 7, I just REALLY REALLY like it, I wish I could draw like that...

this is the only example for now, and it isn't a really good one!! I'll try to get more!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RoyalWing

Postby Gypsy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:08 pm

Cool pic, RoyalWing. Very cute!
||Skipping Tomorrows Webmanga||
"A ship in harbor is safe but that is not what ships are built for." - John A. Shedd
Gypsy

With Royal Wings permission

Postby Chapel » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:11 pm

I had gotten Royal Wings permission and I touched up her piece, I couldn't figure out how to upload them to send through PM so I gues I'll upload them here sorry Wing if you didn't want me too. You picture was just too cute. This was the first time I ever used a computer to color in a picture before so be gentile. Well here they are this was drawn by Royal Wing I darkened the lines and then added color. For an Easter sensation. LOL Thanks for posting Royal Wing. So Wing what do you think? Other than that I would like you do do some fan art for my web comic. I would be honored if you were the first. :) Well TTFN

-chapel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chapel

Postby Retten » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:41 pm

Wow great thread I'll have to post somthing in here when I'm done with my next pic :thumb:

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

A post

Postby superninjaspy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:39 pm

Name
Superninjaspy

Material
#2 pencil, Mac

Background
I'm waiting for the Fed Ex guy to arrive with The Way #1 so I can send it to everyone who's paid me for it.

Current Projects
WRITING (not drawing) They Way, HALO. I inked and toned The Way. I'd like to write a manga about a young girl who gets taken in by a rapper, then everything goes crazy with a rival studio and the FBI, while she's trying to finish her freshman year of highschool. Jesus and romance and a really good school counselor fit in there somewhere.

Strengths
Anatomy, decent color skills, a sense of humor, an awareness of my weaknesses.

Weaknesses
Inking. Storytelling. Blocking and storyboarding. Backgrounds.

Influence
I'm totally a poser. Shadow Star is the only manga I own, and I don't even understand it, although it's realy pretty to look at.

superninjaspy

Postby Chapel » Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:57 am

Royal Wing I'm glad you finally posted I love your work and look forward to anything else you will post in the future. I was glad to work with you on your last project if you would want my help in the future I would be most pleased to do so.

Whiteblaze I believe I remember hearing you were quite a good artist. And if a romur like that circulates then man it must be true. I look forward to seeing your post and the art involved in that. Best of luck.

Gypsy You have posted here a few times so if you read this it is a formal invatation to tell us all about your self like Mave, Ann, Wing and I all have done. I'd love to hear about your stregnths, weaknesses, and capabilities.

superninjaspy Cute rapper and interesting and new idea for a story. I like your art. Coming fro my personal style I would recommend darker lines around the outsides and excentuate the details. However that is my personal style your style in of itself is very good. I would like to see more of your art work as well.

Lastly I want to thank you all again for posting your makeing this work. If you want a cratique there are enough of us to do that willingly so just ask in the thread. You are are very talented and I welcome anyone new and I don't care what you think of yourself no matter how good any of us are there is always room for improvement. So don't me intimadated by us so called better artists. We are all in the same boat writers and artists the same. God will strengthen our abilities through this community.

-chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:20 pm

Hi guys! ^^ I know I haven't posted any art yet but I actually drew some this weekend, and as soon as I get some time alone with my parent's scanner, I'll try to get it up here for you. I think everyone who's posted so far has some real original art styles, but I'm not gonna critique because I'd feel silly, being a lot younger than most of you guys.

Edit: Well that scanner bonding time came sooner than expected, so here's a picture. It's one of my better ones, no doubt, but I didn't spend much time on the hands so they're not too great. It's a drawing of my cousin, who's a Frodo *cough*Elijah Wood*cough* fangirl...
Kireihana

Postby Mave » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:25 am

Heh, RoyalWing, Superninjaspy, and Kireihana,

thanks for posting and welcome! I'll get down to sharing more comments eventually..this month's been so busy I've had to postpone most of my manga works. Until then, pls feel free to comment and give feedback on my works or anyone who has posted here. :)
Mave

Postby superninjaspy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:50 am

Kireihana wrote:Hi guys! ^^ I know I haven't posted any art yet but I actually drew some this weekend, and as soon as I get some time alone with my parent's scanner, I'll try to get it up here for you. I think everyone who's posted so far has some real original art styles, but I'm not gonna critique because I'd feel silly, being a lot younger than most of you guys.

Kireihana,

You've got some wonderful talent. You've definitely got all the basics of structure and anatomy and expression nailed in that piece. Strong stuff. I'll give you some advice I wish someone had given me at 14... your anatomy and expressions and fabric are good enough... quite worrying about them. Start work on TELLING A STORY with your art. Start with one page stories, then two, then five. Start with a kid trying to get into the cookie jar, then it breaks, then his mom catches him. You can't tell deep, meaningful stories in one page or two, but it's important to work on stories with a setting, protagonist, conflict (I want cookies, and I don't want to get caught), climax (CRASH! goes the jar) and resolution (now mom's standing in the door). You artwork is awesome, especially for 14, but no matter how good it gets, pin-up cover artists are a dime a dozen. Artists who can tell stories are rare.

"Understanding Comics" by Scott Mccloud is an awesome, awesome reference to begin the storytelling journey.

Whatever you do, keep at it, you've got skills.

Tucker

P.S. I should point out that "Understanding Comics" has some simple cartoon & fine-art female upper nudity in it, and some language. It's not exploitative or crude, but it's there. I know we're all sensitive to those issues in various ways and have different approaches to what we filter out/let in.
superninjaspy

Postby kaji » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:43 pm

Name: kaji (that’s the way it’s always been)

Material: What ever I can get my hands on.

Background: For agreeing to take on the role of the over looked middle child, I was awarded the creativity gene by my mother. As long as I can remember, I have been making stuff, models, drawings, origami, stories, RPG’s, and mush (as many of my art projects became known as). My siblings used to pay me to do their art projects. I often took games or stories I enjoyed and rewrote the rules to make new ones. I did not discover anime until I was in my senior year of HS. I did not purchase my first manga until I was 20.

Current Projects: There is always something in my mind, though they seldom have names.

Strengths: Writing, planning, building, reproduction (or copy-cat; I can replicate nearly any drawing I see.) Abstract, impressionism, working with others, positive-upbeat attitude, and patience.

Weakness: NOTE: I am not a drawer; I am a doodler with the ability to reproduce drawings. Large drawings, anything much larger than my hand, and it begins to loose quality.(even reproductions). I have never inked a drawing, I have never drawn on a computer. I can not visualize creative poses or clothing.

Influences: Anything, and everything. It has all changed me in some way, either positively or negatively. I don’t think I can attribute anything I do to any one person.

I would greatly enjoy working with a group on a script of some sort. I don’t have any work to show you, though I did post a rough outline to a new story that has been floating around my mind, in the writing section. It is titled “kaji’s Idea.â€
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby Kireihana » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:10 pm

superninjaspy wrote:Kireihana,

You've got some wonderful talent. You've definitely got all the basics of structure and anatomy and expression nailed in that piece. Strong stuff. I'll give you some advice I wish someone had given me at 14... your anatomy and expressions and fabric are good enough... quite worrying about them. Start work on TELLING A STORY with your art. Start with one page stories, then two, then five. Start with a kid trying to get into the cookie jar, then it breaks, then his mom catches him. You can't tell deep, meaningful stories in one page or two, but it's important to work on stories with a setting, protagonist, conflict (I want cookies, and I don't want to get caught), climax (CRASH! goes the jar) and resolution (now mom's standing in the door). You artwork is awesome, especially for 14, but no matter how good it gets, pin-up cover artists are a dime a dozen. Artists who can tell stories are rare.

"Understanding Comics" by Scott Mccloud is an awesome, awesome reference to begin the storytelling journey.

Whatever you do, keep at it, you've got skills.

Tucker

Thanks. It's normal to be real slow at the beginning, right? Because drawing just a few frames takes me forever, and I hate trying to go fast because it makes me sloppy. I just hope I get to be a faster artist, or I'll wind up with so much unfinished work, even if it's only a one or two page story... Anyway thanks for your comments because it's definitely given me more motivation. ^^
Kireihana

Postby wiggins » Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:33 pm

Umm... maybe this isn'tr the place to post this..., so if it is not the right place could someone move it or delete it?
Does anyone know how to shrink files that you want to post? I want to post two of the pics I drew in my post on the first page here, but each file is over 500 kb... Thanks!
Being a Christian makes me a different otaku; Being an otaku doesn't make me a different Christian!
wiggins

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews