Manga artiests and writers unite

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Chapel » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:22 pm

Sorry the pic didn't suit you Mave, i never thought of some people where that could bring back very painful memories even in jest. Other than that I agree with what Mave has said. I will be gone for the next three weeks to a wedding in Joplin, you all be safe and pray for my safe return. On another note my new strip for friday is you, you should all check that out.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Xavier249 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:59 am

Chapel wrote:it has nothing to do with speed it has to do with what men want to see women wearing. It has permeated our thoughts so much that even girls draw them that way. If girls were to dress for speed it would be a light chain mail and a cotton fabric underneath, or even faster tuff leather instead of chain mail. Look at Kiera Knoghtly in King Aurthor if you want proof that womens designs for battle are rediculous. What she wears is so impractical and down right uncomfortable I would imagine that wearing it would be the bigger hindrance than benifit.

chapel

:sweat: There I go again forgetting we live in a world at war. A spiritual war, of course. Thanks for clarifying things. :)

One comment on the King Arthur movie: Sheesh, don't touch it, kill it.
(To understand where I am coming from, I thought the LOTR movies were a far cry from the books, but this movie looks even farther off. I'm also not a person who goes to see movies for the effects rather the story interests me.)

okay back on topic:
I am trying to make more progress on The Dragon's moon, but I keep doing what Mave talked about. The whole "I don't think I am good enough" rhetoric. Yeah, I don't trust my abilities, but hanging out with you guys here really helps keep my confidence up. In the words of Shizuma Kusangi:

"cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!!"

My main problem is I feel like I started drawing too late. I didn't do much drawing in gradeschool, sure I had this "Draw Squad" series I went through, but I didn't go beyond that. I really liked messing with clay and was good at it too. Because I made stuff out of clay, I see most everything in 3-D. I've found that when you think in 3-d it is really hard to translate to paper. On the other hand though it is a plus if you can learn to apply it. The years I spent doing stuff with clay I did almost no drawing at all, except for the token scribbles on my schoolwork.

Sadly, It's only in the last 2-3 years I have really tried drawing, so I feel like I've wasted time. Despite this I am going to push forward. Practice Practice Practice, right?

Thanks for being here.. . . . sorta. :lol: have a good trip Chapel. :grin:
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

The Rise and Fall of the Dragons Moon.

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:48 am

Mave wrote:I never understood how can one fight with high heels and hardly any fabric on them. I particularly think capes/overflowing cloaks are painfully unrealistic in fighting. They look cool but will indefinitely get in the way in a battle.

Did you switch themes there? Capes and cloaks are both on my list of excessive amounts of fabric...

But that's irrelevent, as I am actually posting to speak on the issue of style versus practicality. Being manga, not reality, there's a certain level of suspension of disbelief you have working for you. Still, though, it isn't good to stretch the limits of what is vaguely realistic. In The Fall I tried to do both... characters have cloaks for the sake of looking cool, but remove them for serious battles.

This issue has just come to mind recently, because I've been writing a Metroid story. If any of you know what Samus Aran's armor looks like, it begs the question of how exactly it comes off. And there's a nasty issue of a retractable exoskeleton...
uc pseudonym

Postby Xavier249 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:11 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:This issue has just come to mind recently, because I've been writing a Metroid story. If any of you know what Samus Aran's armor looks like, it begs the question of how exactly it comes off. And there's a nasty issue of a retractable exoskeleton...

Yes, I know what you are talking about. You should try and find the concept arts for Metroid prime, they offer some interesting insight into your question. .
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:15 pm

Oh, it is just a bit late for that. The story is 80% written, and I've already used my own take for a great many things. But could you identify what it is about Metroid Prime that answers questions? It may be possible to use it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Xavier249 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:55 pm

I just remember that when playing the game you unlocked pictures in the gallery and some of them were X-rays/infrared/something of Samus in her suit in various positions. The only thing is I can't remember how *revealing* the pictures were and am not sure where to find them on the web. I was thinking that they might help give you an idea as to how removal would be possible/how integrated the suit was with her.

On the other hand since it is over 80% done, changing now might not be a good thing. I'll let you know if I find the pics.

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Chapel » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:19 pm

I'm back from the wedding check out my blogger on my web page to see how it went it was one of the most beautiful christian weddings i have ever seen.

chapel
Chapel

Postby Chapel » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:37 am

New strip up today for those following it

pepsi
Chapel

Postby RoyalWing » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:59 am

Wow... I haven't been here in a long time! >_<;; I'm so sorry! (But I don't think any one minds though. o__o maybe no one even remembers I'm part of this thread! O_O)

I'm a bit confused about the Metroid conversation (who is writing the story?! I got lost!!), but I tried to search for "metroid prime concept art" and "metroid concept art" but nothing really came up. (_ _);;

Chapel, I hope you had fun at the wedding! ^v^

This will be going a few pages, back, but: I like love stories, but when I try to write them I put too many complications, fighting, violence in it, I don't think it ever develops. "This guy will love this girl, but then this other guy is, jealous, so, kills the girl because he is a maniac, then first guy also becomes a maniac because he is mad over the girls death...... so he goes on a adventure..... great! ^-^" something along those line! o__o;;;;

I really don't put what I like in "shounen" or "shoujo" category because I like both of them, I think, when they just have really good story and characters. I think I mostly just like the stories in games, because they have love, adventure, fighting, everything most of the time. A comic book that can do that is great!!

I am working on something right now, but it's secret! Because I don't know if I can actually draw all of it, if I am good enough to draw all the details needed. I'm actually praying on it! (first time I ever pray for something like that. It feels weird. o__o) Because I want inspiration and determination to finish all of it, even if it is a short story. But I'll try my best!

See you~ ^v^
RoyalWing

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:30 am

To clarify: I am writing a Metroid fanfiction. It is very near complete. Just one plot phase remaining... though I am uncertain how long that phase will take to write (and I will be absent for a week).
uc pseudonym

Postby Xavier249 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:56 pm

[quote="RoyalWing"]Wow... I haven't been here in a long time! >_<]

Who are you? :eyebrow:

Just kidding. Good to see you Royalwing. Odd question, you do know that your sig has a Korean picture and not japanese, right?

Yeesh, I have been doodling and doing stuf but nothing serious at this time. Hanging out with japanese students has absorbed all my time. Not a bad thing because they are learning and I am learning too. ;)

I've found out that anytime I read Samurai Girl: Real bout high school that I really really want to draw all of a sudden. I have been using it as inspiration recently. Anybody else have something like that?

Well, back to the drawing board, see you all later. :)

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Chapel » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:51 pm

GTO always inspries me to draw his facial expressions are so classic

chapel
Chapel

Postby RoyalWing » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:47 pm

Xavier249 wrote:Who are you? :eyebrow:

Just kidding. Good to see you Royalwing. Odd question, you do know that your sig has a Korean picture and not japanese, right?

You did scare me there, I thought I was rejected of here! :lol: But I take alot of things seriously~

Yes, I did know it's Korean symbol~ :) I can tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. Korean is the easiest to tell because their symbol is completely different, but Japanese use alot of Chinese in their writing (the 'kanji'? I think it's called?) ^-^ I like all the different letters of these languages!!

Do you know Korean? Can you tell me what it says? I have some Korean friend but I never remembered to talk to them and ask them what it says.

I was thinking of translating it to English, but maybe the creator wouldn't be very happy... If ever she found it..
RoyalWing

Postby Xavier249 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:39 pm

RoyalWing wrote: You did scare me there, I thought I was rejected of here! :lol: But I take alot of things seriously~

Oops! Gomen ne. I didn't mean to scare you. :sweat:

RoyalWing wrote:Yes, I did know it's Korean symbol~ :) I can tell the difference between Chinese, Japanese, and Korean. Korean is the easiest to tell because their symbol is completely different, but Japanese use alot of Chinese in their writing (the 'kanji'? I think it's called?) ^-^ I like all the different letters of these languages!!

Yeah all the different characters are cool! Yes, it is Kanji, and actually Japanese and Chinese have the same Kanji. 7000+ of them. They have different things they say though. Like the character for water means water in both languages, but in Japanese it is mizu and Chinese it is something else.

RoyalWing wrote:Do you know Korean? Can you tell me what it says? I have some Korean friend but I never remembered to talk to them and ask them what it says.
I wish I could tell you what is says. The main reason I can tell things are korean is that korean characters have an unnatural amount of ovals/circles. Kanji lack these for some reason.

RoyalWing wrote:I was thinking of translating it to English, but maybe the creator wouldn't be very happy... If ever she found it..

Translating it would be cool! But I don't have a korean dictionary. . . :sweat: Go ahead and translate, but don't alter the image. You could just put it on your sig below it.

On topic:
Hmm. . . . :sweat: Sorry nothing to add really. Maybe later today(Saturday..)

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Psycho Ann » Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:46 am

Man, I haven't been here for more than 5 pages ^^;; Sorry guys, been thread hopping...

Anyway, I'm delighted to see new art and artists! I'm just jumping in on the hand smudging part but it's one method to draw with your arm off the paper. Like animators, they hold the pencil in such a way and draw with their whole arm while keeping their wrist straight. I do this from time to time to increase the 'flow' of lines and avoid smuding but still I haven't practice enough to do it all the time (incredibly hard to control! And I have bad posture; ain't got the stamina to keep my hand off the paper).

Some other things I do to prevent smuding is put another piece of paper right under where the side of your palm will be. It'll cover done artwork and try to use smooth paper, never textured or even tissue paper, because fibers will smudge graphite (which is why blenders or paper stumps are--well, paper). Another thing is to wash your hands and keep them as dry and not oily as possible (that means no lotion) because oils easily pick up graphite as well.

I also like to use HB lead since HB is much 'sharper' and won't blend/smudge as easily as darker/softer leads (2B, 4B, 6B...). The problem with HB is to make sure you don't press into the paper. Especially if you're using a mechanical pencil like me, or you'll end up with lead engraved into the paper which you can't erase >_<

If you're inking it, just draw lightly. You're going to erase the graphite anyway and smuding it will just be a bit more effort to clean it off. If you're just doing a graphite drawing, always start as light as possible. Work from upper left to lower right (or vice versa if you're left handed) and put in the darkest darks at the last moment in one go and THEN put in the highlights with erasers, etc.

I forgot if I mentioned this tip yet in THIS thread, but I'll just remind all of you using Micron pens or any other acrylic tip pens to always erase as much lead as possible if you're going to ink directly over the original. Graphite does a number on acrylic tips and dries them out FAST. You'll be going through sets of Microns in a year if you inking them directly over too much lead. By erasing as much as you can, you're protecting the tip and now my Micron pens lasted more than a year rather than the few months when I used to not remove the lead. ^^ These pens are quite expensive (IMHO since I'm a poor artist >_< Aren't we all?) so it's always good to take are much care of them as possible (as with any other tool you're going to use). Oh, and when possible store them tip down to ensure ink flow.

If you're up to the effort, you can always buy blue line art pencils for anything you want to ink. You don't need to erase afterwards and by fotocopying it or scanning it in b/w the blue lines would not appear. I heard they don't smudge easily as well.

I hope these tips can help out somewhat ^^
-Psalm 27:1-
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.
Cognatio- Online Christian Manga Exchange

"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
Psycho Ann

Postby RoyalWing » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:23 pm

Psycho Ann, do you know where to buy the Sakura Micron Pens?
RoyalWing

Postby Kireihana » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:32 pm

RoyalWing wrote:Psycho Ann, do you know where to buy the Sakura Micron Pens?

I got mine at Michaels, but I am sure that any large art or craft store will have them. ZIG pens work pretty much the same, and they are very common pens popular for scrapbooking. You can find them at any scrapbooking shop.

Thanks for the tip, Psycho Ann! I never knew the lead could damage the Microns. O.O Especially good to know now that I'm in this must-ink-every-picture-I-draw phase.
Kireihana

Postby Psycho Ann » Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:23 pm

Yep, you can find Microns at Michael's. Another place for all your inking needs would be Utrecht or any other equivalent art store. For sketching, I actually recommend those cheap ball-point pens. Since they are basically pencils that can't be erased :D You can sketch lightly with them, then go over your sketch with darker lines. The inability to erase will REALLY be good practice in learning to be confident with your lines and practice just being sketchy and getting the overall gesture/feel.

Kireihana, no prob! Glad to help out fellow artists ^^

Hmm.. I'll go draw something in ball point to show what I mean later. ^^
The Project - Online Christian manga, rambling FAQs, and Truly Random Scripture.

Psycho Ann

Postby KrescentMoon » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:53 pm

Psycho Ann wrote:Hmm.. I'll go draw something in ball point to show what I mean later. ^^

Ooo~ this'll be a treat.......can't wait for the awesome artwork n_nb

"The key to tomorrow is to have faith for a better day."
KrescentMoon

Postby Chapel » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:43 pm

I use bic pens from walmart.... ok when your through laughing, I really like the shading I can do with them, and i never liked the micron pens they just felt weird in my hands, almost unwelcome. Like they were saying to me... We're to good for you.

chapel
Chapel

Postby KrescentMoon » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:58 pm

First, I used ballpoint pen to ink since i was 'scared' of fine tip pens......they bleed.....but of course that was cuz i didn't have 'special' paper. Then i realized that ballpoint pen ink isn't dark enough for digital rendering.
I recently started to use fine tip pens, and inking is not my forte. Therefore, I usually resort to the extremely-clean-sketches-then-pencil-in-lines method!!!!!!! then i later adjust the level on Photoshop.
I would get Micron pens or all those neat fine tipped non-bleeding pens.....but i'm currently living in a town where that stuff doesn't exist in.

KrescentMoon

Postby Psycho Ann » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:07 am

Now, doesn't that look exactly like a pencil sketch? And it doesn't smudge either! :thumb: I used an old bic pen I randomly grabbed from my box-of-cheap-pens(tm) and just drew this equally random semi-evil rich maiden with no planning. By the time I drew her somewhat evil smirk I did had the mind to make her slouch a little to give a sense of 'plotting' :lol:

Anyway, you can still barely make out the contruction lines I did and notice that I darkened the lines particularly in her face. Always darken the lines where you want the most of your viewer's attention. Outlining the face does this best as with darkening the lips, nostrils, and eyes. I also darkened the background on the lighter side of her, a thing Rembrandt did to increase drama and contrast. Doesn't really work well here, but oh well :brow:

No real cross-hatching work, just scribbles. Ah, and know that you can actually erase lighter lines with a regular eraser (those hard erasers just for these pens tend to ruin your paper), I personally never erase pen sketches since well, as I said, it's good practice. No need to be super neat, it's a sketch after all! :dance: (I've been looking for a chance to use this smiley. Forgive me.)

Blah... you know, I think we should make a seperate thread just for artist tips, critques, practice, etc. Thinking about it, isn't this thread just for databasing artists and writers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Psycho Ann

Postby RoyalWing » Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:59 pm

Thanks alot everyone! Ann, that drawing is so good! o__o a SKETCH?!

I usually ink with this 0.1 felt tip, permanent Staedler pen I found in Businness Depot while looking for Sakura last year. I ink in a weird way, the side of my hand is usually on top of what I'm inking, and my lines are jagged and wispy (and just ugly! But anyway) the pen works with me~

I don't think I will purchase Sakura Micron, maybe they are too "serious" for me, I guess I am just fine with what i have now. ^-^

Thank you for the tips with Bic pens, I did notice they draw like a pencil, but because of the way I draw/ink I was a bit nervous to use them. o__o;;; But I will try!!
RoyalWing

Postby Chapel » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:01 pm

Actually this was original started as a way to put people into one area giveing crit and or joining up to help one another. Not just an artist data base, I think it turned out just right.

Anne that pic is amazing, that exactly why i still use bic pens. "begs for fan art... yet fears it for her skills are far superior."

chapel
Chapel

Postby KrescentMoon » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:03 pm

._. it doesn't look like pen at all........my ballpoint pens don't....wait, what tip diameter did you use? 0.7? .....hmm....on to sketching, but first, studies. BTW, now that it seems that Ann's free-er~ do you mind going over on digital coloring strategies? *a MAJOR dummy on layers* Vampi always yells at me for that.....well, she doesn't yell at me for that, she yells at me cause of my lazinnes XD

KrescentMoon

Postby Chapel » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:41 am

woo hoo yall new strip up and it has lyrics from my fav band Flogging molly... even better i have their permission to use any of their stuff.. I love it. Life is good.

chapel

http://www.theflamingcat.com
Chapel

Postby Psycho Ann » Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:03 pm

Royal wing: Yeah, you should purchase microns when you're comfortable to use them since they're a bit more expensive. But I do encourage you to buy a good sized one like 0.3 and just practice with it. Get to know the effects, what it can do or not, etc. It's always good to experience with different tools even if you aren't going to use them because these kind of knowledge can cross between tools and medium ^^

KresentMoon: Diameter... Um... I seem to have lost the pen O_o;; It's just those regular BiC pens I you lose every so often ^^;; Ah, and sure I can give some tips on digital coloring. What is it exactly that you want to know? Or what is it that you're having trouble with? Layers in photoshop are easier than one thinks. You only need to know normal and multiply layers for most art anyway ^^

Chapel: Funny you mentioned fanart, I did sketch one a while ago, I'll scan it some time soon ^^ And nice new strip! I think I heard of the name Flogging Molly before...

Psycho Ann

Postby Kireihana » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:09 am

I love the pic, Psycho Ann! It really is "Deviant Art" :lol:

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Chapel wrote:I use bic pens from walmart.... ok when your through laughing, I really like the shading I can do with them, and i never liked the micron pens they just felt weird in my hands, almost unwelcome. Like they were saying to me... We're to good for you.

Hmm. I never really listened to my pens, I just used them whether or not they felt I was worthy. In all seriousness, though, whatever floats your boat! Your art is great, and if ballpoint pens is part of what makes it great, than it would be a shame to stop using them.

KrescentMoon: I know how you feel. I have to travel 45 minutes to the nearest Michaels; there are no such stores in my town either. Just make sure to stock up well when you do get an opportunity to visit an art store! And if all else fails, there's always the internet (although paying shipping is a bummer)
Kireihana

Postby Chapel » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:31 pm

Ann did fan art for me... falls over... THats so cool. I love your work it really blows me back.

Kire Yeah its just i was never one to use the whole black out everything and then put in a little spikey things to show the shadows I'm a crosshatched all the way through. My co cartoonest is all about the micron and making sure his art is perfect on paper, oh well were all different.

chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Sun Aug 01, 2004 5:17 pm

I just want to say that I've taken up on Psycho Ann's tip on sketching in pen, and I'm having a blast! It really does boost one's confidence! I'll skan and post some sketches as soon as my computer decides to work; I'm using my parents' right now and theirs has this peanut-sized little monitor because their old one broke... Computers. Can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em...
Kireihana

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews