Manga artiests and writers unite

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Chapel » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:05 pm

yes yes

I was very proud of him

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Chapel » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:33 am

hey all I have been ussing gradients alot more lately I'm really figuring them out check this out.

chapel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chapel

Postby Mave » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:58 pm

I'd say that's a great job! Looks like you're getting a good hang of digitally coloring your pics. :thumb: If I was picky though, thick lips are not typical of manga or at least bright pink ones. heh
Mave

Postby Chapel » Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:32 am

Yeah along the lines of thick lips its something about my style that comes and goes ussually when I want the characters to look more how should i put this, appealing.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:03 am

That's awesome Chapel! I love the coloring and the folds on the dress are fantastic. ^_^ There are some anime women who have pink or otherwise-colored lips, such as Cher Degre from Wolf's Rain, but typically they don't outline the lips, just color around them. I guess anime girls don't like using lipliner :lol:
Kireihana

Postby Chapel » Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:01 am

I hang out with a lot of goths, models and exihibitionists they ussually use alot of lip liner. LOL I guess thats where my inspriation comes from.

Chapel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chapel

Postby Xavier249 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:20 pm

Greetings from Chicago!

Chapel that picture has some awesome detail! The lips are a little interesting. :) Hmm one comment though, The bra poking out a little fits the character, but as guy it is a little annoying. Despite that I think that without it your character would lose something. GOOD JOB! :)

Haven't got much time to work on the pictures. I think I am only going to rework the falling hair one, because the other one just plain needs to be redrawn.

Also, I have started some sketeches for the manga I want to get underway. I have designed what two of the charas look like and have made the title for the title page. (I'd post them but I am at library comp) The biggest difficulty I am having is figuring out the other two charas hair styles. Wish me luck! :)
Mostly what I need is time, especially since there are some plot holes in the story.....
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

The Rise and Fall of the Dragons Moon.

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby Mave » Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:58 pm

LOL Like I just mentioned to Pepper Kittie recently, join the club. "Plot holes", ahoy!! Whoever said making manga was easy? >_<;;;;

And Xavier, just what are you doing in Chicago? ;) You're not too far away from me now. And yeah, bring on that manga of yours! XD
Mave

Postby Chapel » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:36 am

I know the cure to plot holes just do what I did and get 70 strips ahead so you have plenty of time to let the creative juices flow. By the way i saw a midnight premier of spiderman 2 you all have to see it, it is so awsome words fail to describe it.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Chapel » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:34 am

Hey all who wants to sport my avatars for To Be Cont... If so click the link below for your selection of quality avatars. I know they don't move or blink, but hey I still like them. Well I hope some of you who would like to support my webcomic will sport these homemade avatars. Click the link below

this is the link ----> http://www.theflamingcat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149 <-----------right there. LOL

Chapel
Chapel

"Vampi is posting in my name because of computer problems"- Krescent Moon

Postby Vampi » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:28 am

Name
Ok! now with the generals out of the way....time for some deeper info. I'm KrescentMoon, as said in my CAA profile, I'm 14. My manga partner, Vampi, lives on the other end of the world from me, therefore it's hard to keep a moderate (gosh, I bet you're laughing, Vampi...or steaming... ;>>) update schedule (as well as not having a scanner).

Background
My art style was developed overtime, but I study different mangakas, as well as other artists' webcomics. And just one more note, I move from country to
country often so I'm pretty occupied with other issues.

Influence
I was influenced by Vampi. Since I met Vampi, I recognized my skill in art ^^. And I also have to mention my other friend, Kiyoko, who opened the door even wider to anime and manga for me. To be honest, I'm not completely sure who or what artist/anime/manga influenced me most....but I'll probably just name ones that stand out more in my style.
Tanemura Arina - Fullmoon wo Sagashite
Saka (artist od go-gaia.com)
Sugisaki Yukiru - D.N.Angel
and perhaps Space Coyote of Saturnalia.

Material

pencil and paper with the occasional pen around.....and water color pencils, and Photoshop 7.0

Current Projects
The Last World (http://lastworld.keenspace.com)

Strengths
Hair, clothes, eyes, general design (there might be more...just don't know myself XD)
(Vampi: script writing/dialogue....you're pretty good with words)

Weaknesses
inking (big time), screen toning/CGing, hands *twitch*
Vampi

Because KM has her info up, it's only fair that I do my own as compensation.

Postby Vampi » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:37 am

Name
Vampi (Actaully it's Pure Vampi but the "Pure" part is just weird)
Rivis (This is my other major online name....and it's actually Blacknight Rivis but the "Blacknight" part is just weird)

Background
Stickfigures on walls. I also made the Bearenstien Bears' world a more colorful place.

Influence
Pokemon and Speedracer. I guess I have to add in Kiyoko (the same girl KM mentioned) and Satoshi too.....
There's also Amano, Kandinsky, Alichino, and such. Too many to name.

Material

Pencil and paper with the occasional pen around.....and water color (pencils), and Photoshop 7.0

Current Projects
The Last World (http://lastworld.keenspace.com)
Pressing On
Cyberslave
Legends/Tales of Agrand

Strengths

Weaknesses
Everything.

....I forgot a picture....well I guess everyone here gets to see an untoned page. It's going to be the....13?....page on our website. KM, I'm steaming and laughin that the updates haven't caught up. Now it's your turn to be miffled when you see how little my post has compared to yours.
Vampi

Postby KrescentMoon » Sun Jul 04, 2004 10:30 am

To Vampi: yep ;;>> "wth? that's all?!" was right....anyway, i just wanted to add something else!

http://img41.photobucket.com/albums/v126/furumun90/tigercover.jpg

this is incomplete and practically my first colored CG. (thanks to Glitch for helping me with the background....) note: url link because i can't open the manage attachments pop-up window.....my comp will freeze if i do...

"The key to tomorrow is to have faith for a better day."
KrescentMoon

Many happy returns.

Postby Xavier249 » Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:48 pm

[quote="Mave"] "Plot holes", ahoy!! Whoever said making manga was easy? >_<]
Nobody, especially not me. ;) Its fun though! :)

As chapel points out, getting ahead is a good idea. Thats what I am trying to do. I did a lot more work on the manga organization over my trip. The characters faces are finalized. . . attitudes and clothing not quite done yet.
[quote="Mave"]And Xavier, just what are you doing in Chicago? ]
I was there for a Couple to Couple League convention, which means I was there as a kid(18yrs old) to hang out with friends. :) My parents were there to go to talks. We were on the campus of Lewis U.
Also, we stopped briefly at Taste of Chicago, saw Sears tower, , and then ate at one of the many Giordanos(sp?) there. We traveled to Madison WI to visit a relative and then just meandered our way home through WI, Minessota, and IA towards home.

Okay update on the manga. (This will take me years to complete.. . . )
1. I have completed the characters face designs, well 4 of them anyway..
2. I rewrote 3 chapters. . . Edited 4 others. . 10 chapters total, a chapter being one page typed on the computer. Just enough story style so I can envision what is going on. Not novel style.
3. Manga pages organized= 3. Scenes 14+.
4. Title words complete. Title is (The rise and fall of) The Dragon's Moon.
Basically as soon as I fully complete the story, I can finish organizing the manga pages, then I just have a lot of drawing. . . easy? nope. :sweat:

one other note to Chapel, I've grabbed an Avatar. :)

Good to see we are recruiting new blood to the thread. Welcome Vampi and KrescentMoon. Don't worry too much about vampires around me. I have an inordinate obsession with graveyards :sweat: and Vampires :sweat: . . . . might be a bad thing.

odd Q: Anyone ever read Dracula? I read it during the first 3 days of my trip. Awesome book! It focuses on the good men fighting Dracula.
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby Mave » Sun Jul 04, 2004 8:52 pm

Hey, first off, Welcome to Vampi and KrescentMoon! XD

Lovely lovely artworks, you know I love your artstyles, ladies. I welcome you to this thread. ^^ I must commend you on that last piece, Kres...I think it's awesome. Now, I shall await the fruits of your teamwork. ;) ;)

Xavier, nice to have you back. I frequent Chicago since a special someone is over there. ;) I usually end up in Chinatown for good reasons...(yum food!) Hey, sounds like good progress there Xavier. Gotta let us see it soon, OK?

As for me, I've started to work on Chap 4 of Kcome and Chap 2 of Home. Meanwhile, I'm still seeking a place to host my comics...drunkduck gave me some problems today. And finally decided to pay some attention to my deviantArt account. :sweat:

I've discovered many weaknesses on my part: I can't draw mecha, cars (anything remotely mechanical), action scenes and background! I also can't write shonen stories. I promise myself that I must improve in such areas. >_< Argh, so much to learn!

ok done whining
Mave

Postby Lochaber Axe » Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:51 pm

I think I put up a bio somewhere... I haven't been to this thread in a long time. Anyways, (If you read my comments alot, you probably could know its me by that one word. I use at least once every post sometimes) I feel like helping someone write a manga since I am currently in a favorable writing phase.

Actually, I have one in works in here *taps head*, but I'd like some experience with others before I start.
Lochaber Axe

Postby Chapel » Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:20 am

Welcome KrescentMoon and Vampi

To X way to go on the manga, back to Kresent very nice piece for both you and vampi. I love teamwork, but sometimes it can be maddening. To Mave the last time I went to Chicago I saw Eddie Izzard. That was great. Check my bio to learn more about him. He's my fav stand up commedian and lastly nice to see you back Lochabar Axe.

Well we are only a few posts away from 200 and here that is a great achievement.. (you love us, you really love us.

Chapel (shameless plug: new comic up at my websight ( http://www.theflamingcat.com ))
Chapel

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jul 05, 2004 4:49 pm

Normally I feel very worthless in this thread, but...

Mave wrote:I also can't write shonen stories.

This is one thing I can actually help on, as you just listed my speciality. If you were actually intending to focus on that, now or at any given time, I would be happy to help. That you is in its plural format.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Tue Jul 06, 2004 7:49 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Normally I feel very worthless in this thread, but...

This is one thing I can actually help on, as you just listed my speciality. If you were actually intending to focus on that, now or at any given time, I would be happy to help. That you is in its plural format.

Thanks UC, on behalf of all other writers and artists. I'll keep that in mind. Not to say that you weren't "shonen story guru" on my list, in the first place. ;)
Mave

Postby Chapel » Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:57 am

Tis true. I was just asked to change my Avatar... I supose it was a bit bloody, but it held with it a very truthful message. Come on How many people really hate those blinking icons. Oh well much is the pitty, I forget sometimes the first word in this forum community and that somethings I might not consider offensive are still pretty offensive in others eyes. Or like with my friend nick violence makes him feel very uncomforable caz he feeds off it, so he avoids it like the plauge. I guess I'd do well to remember such things.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Retten » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:43 am

Those blinking avatars still are really annoying though! lol

formerly WhiteBlaze
Retten

Postby Chapel » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:56 pm

I do agree... Well everyone we have passed 200, this is awsome. I'm so glad this has gone so well. I think we have all become very good friends and gained valuable insight about our art. Lets keep up the job work next up 300. We can do it. I'm so happy.

chapel
Chapel

Postby Xavier249 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:40 pm

Yay! We passed 200! Odd point, I am making my 204th post here. odd, ne?

Avatars: yeah the blinky ones are annoying. Personally though I like to change mine little by little with customizations to it. I.e, the glowing fists and inuyasha ears...

Noooooo, this can't be happening, I haven't made any manga progress today! Well, yet anyway. I still have a couple hours till I'm off. ;)

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Kireihana » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:13 pm

Welcome Krescent Moon and Vampi! You guys are awesome! Can't wait to see you post more art! ^_^

Well Mave, I for one cannot write shoujo stories! I feel so silly when I try; they always end up being cheesy or sappy or something... I dunno, I'm just into "action girls" lol.

Speaking of which, here's some lineart I made recently of a warrior girl (despite the fact she has no shield or weapons, XD. I guess it was just a character/outfit design?) I'm in a constant state of experimentation with styles right now and this is my new... phase, I guess. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it follows all the rules, but if it's too revealing remove it.
Kireihana

Postby Xavier249 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:59 pm

Umm. . . wow.

Odd observation though, Why do warrior women in general have less armor than guys? I am assuming it is because they rely on speed. :)

Good luck in your new phase. My phase currently is that I need a year of training to be good enough for my own standards. Wish me luck. I will still try and get a manga going, I guess... :sweat:

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Chapel » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:04 am

it has nothing to do with speed it has to do with what men want to see women wearing. It has permeated our thoughts so much that even girls draw them that way. If girls were to dress for speed it would be a light chain mail and a cotton fabric underneath, or even faster tuff leather instead of chain mail. Look at Kiera Knoghtly in King Aurthor if you want proof that womens designs for battle are rediculous. What she wears is so impractical and down right uncomfortable I would imagine that wearing it would be the bigger hindrance than benifit.

chapel
Chapel

Postby Chapel » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:06 am

kireihana that is very pretty by the way I really like it and the proportions are great.

chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:58 am

Lol, Chapel's probably right about the armor though. I never thought of it that way. I'd just seen so many anime warrior girls and thought hey, I'm gonna draw one!
Kireihana

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:13 pm

The picture does not violate rules...

Though if speed is the goal that really doesn't stop anyone. Given the average strength of most anime warriors, they could use chain mail without any hindrence whatsoever. Note, however, that this is a futile tangent, as Chapel has outlined the real reason female warriors are typically drawn in this manner.

[quote="Kireihana"]Well Mave, I for one cannot write shoujo stories! I feel so silly when I try]

Trust me, no one will care. Many, many shoujo stories are needlessly cheesy and sappy. Not all are, but it is generally accepted in the genre. I dislike sappiness very highly, but I can let it go if the story is good otherwise.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:54 pm

Chapel: I'm glad you changed your avatar. That's about all I have to say about that. And good point about the women warrior attire. I never understood how can one fight with high heels and hardly any fabric on them. I particularly think capes/overflowing cloaks are painfully unrealistic in fighting. They look cool but will indefinitely get in the way in a battle.

Among the few decent fighting female attire are on Tomb Raider, most Naruto female characters and Lady Chris (Suikoden III). (Note: I don't like the fanservicey way Lara Croft is drawn sometimes but the attire itself is quite practical)

uc pseudonym wrote:
Trust me, no one will care. Many, many shoujo stories are needlessly cheesy and sappy. Not all are, but it is generally accepted in the genre. I dislike sappiness very highly, but I can let it go if the story is good otherwise.

I always knew there was a possibility of me becoming a sap queen. Gah.

Kireihana, I still recommend that you let us see your works, regardless of how sappy and cheesy you think it is. We'll give you useful feedback and that woud help you in composing your stories. How can you improve if you don't let ppl review it? ^^

I tell you that I can be a nervous wreck everytime I post a new chapter. "What would ppl think? Would they laugh? Is it stupid? Would I turn ppl away this time?" Those thoughts always try to influence my decision in drawing comics.

I battle them by screaming back, "It's OK if it's stupid or if I embarrass myself. God knows I'm trying my best and that I could never be close to being perfect. But I've gotta keep trying to work towards becoming better." But to achieve that, you need to swallow your pride and endure criticisms.

You know, I looked back at all the stories that I've composed eversince I was a kid and discovered they are all shoujo in nature. I'm still not sure whether I should be horrified or delighted. But, I chose not to dwell on that. I'll keep working despite my doubts and fears, and trust God to find a mysterious way of using my stories.

Anyway, here's to hoping that I would be able to deliver decent shoujo stories for everyone's sake. Cheers, brothers and sisters. :cool:
Mave

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews