Manga artiests and writers unite

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:15 am

You may post pictures in a variety of places. If you wish them to be viewed, the Gallery is the most obvious choice. It has a number of areas, one of which I am sure will eclipse your artwork. However, if you wish to receive specific commentary regarding drawing and tips from other artists, you should put them in this thread.
uc pseudonym

Postby Xavier249 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:30 am

Okay here goes my first attempt posting something picture like.

oh, theres a size limit
*Dashes away and resizes*

The pictures are some fan art sketching I did of Princess Tutu.
1. I like the Mytho picture, I think it turned out well.
2. Fakir turned out odd, mostly because his hair is a mystery in and of itself.
3. Ahiru is okay but a little elongated
4. The Tutu pic turned out ok.
5. Do you Like the Gear in Claires pic?

As you can see by the dates, the pictures are old. Its only the first page in my sketch book.

Date one = what day I first started the pic
Name in between = What I thought I was drawing at the time
Date two = what day I finished using that color
Date three = Day I finished using that color
Final name = What the picture became.

To give you a perspective on actual size. Claire is less than 2 inches in diameter. More later. Don't critique too heavily, I am hard enough on myself as it is. :sweat:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

The Rise and Fall of the Dragons Moon.

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby Chapel » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:14 am

Light crit

Pic 1
It's cute, she needs ears... Um I'm personally very fond of sharp angles, and as you well know you have very rounded angles, It may just be a style differance, but i would recomend sharper angles. Like I said this is just my style, you seem to have a rounder style so go with that.

Pic 2
Also cute, I would recomend a chin and whats that fluffy ball on her head. If its part of a hat, or just stuck in her hair. I don't know. You might want to look into that.

Pic 3
I like the overall composition, is she ready to cry because she's happy or mornfull. Cute face, I like the hair. Once again the angles throw me. Thats ok, if it's your style. i can tell you pu alot of time into your art.

Pic 4
Joints, the over all proportions are good, I'd give the guy some recognizable joints. Wavey arms. I'd look into doing a more detailed face. I know in most of my art the time spent is ussually getting the face perfect. THe clothes while important, don't convey emotion. I like the slip on shoes.

Pic 5
I really liked this one, I shows your progression. Good face, good clothes, good shading, bravo..... Is it a guy or a girl? I know this may be offensive. Kinda like a parent asking a child what it is they drew. I should know. With a waist like that I would imagine it is a girl. In anycase I would recomend more defined joints again. But over all good composition.

Well that was my lite crit. If you have read my crits before you know its the truth.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:04 pm

wiggins wrote:Hey, I hope this isn't out of place, but, what artists do you guys like the most for art-style?

Presuming you're talking about mangaka, I must say that my favorite is Nobuhiro Watsuki (Rurouni Kenshin). The amount of detail he puts into his drawings is amazing, and it's obvious he pays equal attention to backgrounds as well. I love his over-all style.

Let's see... I also like Takeshi Obata (Hikaru no Go) and Nanaji Nagamu (Parfait Tic) - her style is actually very different from most manga I've seen but I really like it.
Kireihana

Postby Xavier249 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:52 pm

:sniffle: I replied to this, but I must have taken too long or something because it made me sign back in when I sent it, so I lost the whole thing. :sniffle: :sniffle: :sniffle:
:sweat: Re-creation time:
Chapel wrote:Light crit

All too true. :)
Chapel wrote:Pic 1
It's cute, she needs ears... Um I'm personally very fond of sharp angles, and as you well know you have very rounded angles, It may just be a style differance, but i would recomend sharper angles. Like I said this is just my style, you seem to have a rounder style so go with that.

Yeah, I do like round angles, I dunno I guess thats the RBHS influence.
Ears, oh. . . . I didn't even notice. Ouch.

Chapel wrote:Pic 2
Also cute, I would recomend a chin and whats that fluffy ball on her head. If its part of a hat, or just stuck in her hair. I don't know. You might want to look into that.

Chin. . that's why this one always looked odd to me. Never could place why. Umm, after I drew this pic, I found out that the character actually had a crown on her head that looked like a poofball from some angles.

Chapel wrote:Pic 3
I like the overall composition, is she ready to cry because she's happy or mornfull. Cute face, I like the hair. Once again the angles throw me. Thats ok, if it's your style. i can tell you pu alot of time into your art.

Actually as to that characters expression, I am pretty sure she was mournful. For some reason whenever Rue-chan became Kraehe, she always looked like she was about to cry. Angles. . . hmm, I'll try doing that.

Chapel wrote:Pic 4
Joints, the over all proportions are good, I'd give the guy some recognizable joints. Wavey arms. I'd look into doing a more detailed face. I know in most of my art the time spent is ussually getting the face perfect. THe clothes while important, don't convey emotion. I like the slip on shoes.
Considering proportions are normally my bane, I was happy with that part of this guy. I think my main problem was that I tried to make his face to small for me to properly draw. His hair alone baffled me for a long time. It's a really screwy hair style. Because I spent so much time figuring out the hair style, I got lazy on the body.

Chapel wrote:Pic 5
I really liked this one, I shows your progression. Good face, good clothes, good shading, bravo..... Is it a guy or a girl? I know this may be offensive. Kinda like a parent asking a child what it is they drew. I should know. With a waist like that I would imagine it is a girl. In anycase I would recomend more defined joints again. But over all good composition.

Joints. . can you give me some more pointers on that? I can sorta see what I need to do, but any help would be appreciated, on this one specifically.

He's a guy. He's the "Prince" in the story. My friends and I who have seen the series cannot stand his character. He is always simpering.

Chapel wrote:Well that was my lite crit. If you have read my crits before you know its the truth.

Chapel

ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou :)

I am adding one new picture and two pics of the series princess Tutu.
First picture is of a wallpaper I found and shrunk so that it could be posted.
2nd is a picture I drew and colored of the pendant
3rd a picture of that actual pendant.

One thing to note, I only use colored pencils to color things in. Prismacolor pencils.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We forget that . . . . . . . . . . .Our souls are the real blades of the fight. ~ RBHS

'cause guys like this one here show up. . . I keep coming back!!! ~Shizuma Kusanagi
Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

If I am not posting, sorry. . . I am too much of an activity junkie, currently probably hanging out with/teaching japanese exchange students. :sweat:
Xavier249

Postby Mave » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:35 pm

wiggins wrote:Hey, I hope this isn't out of place, but, what artists do you guys like the most for art-style?

ehh....I suppose Watsuki Nobuhiro (rurouni kenshin) and Yabuki kentaro (Black Cat) are the styles I like overall and strive to draw like.

Xavier, I don't have much time to comment but I'll say this: I don't mind the smooth lines you made. ^^ I just found it weird that you had 2 colors outlined (black and blue). Color pencil perhaps? And why? Also, my suggestion is to experiment with various human poses. It's challenging but once you get it right from practice, the feeling of satisfaction is oh so good. XD

Welcome to all new thread members!
Mave

Postby Xavier249 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:13 pm

Mave wrote: Xavier, I don't have much time to comment but I'll say this: I don't mind the smooth lines you made. ^^ I just found it weird that you had 2 colors outlined (black and blue). Color pencil perhaps? And why?

Black and blue are my tools of choice because you can get mechanical pencil lead in blue and black. The blue allows me to do things like stick figures, circles etc. and not have them mess up the final product, because the blue blends in by the time you have gone over everything in regular pencil.

Also, if I photocopy them in black and white, the blue doesn't come through at all. Try it with normal lined paper some time. The blue lines vanish and you get a nice edge line and your words. :)

Mave wrote: Also, my suggestion is to experiment with various human poses. It's challenging but once you get it right from practice, the feeling of satisfaction is oh so good. XD

Will do! :) Success is such a good feeling.

Mave wrote:Welcome to all new thread members!

Do I count? :) Thanks

Adding another picture. Don't bother commenting on this one. I made it Jan of 2003. Its really old :sweat: but it is the first full page picture I ever drew of an anime character. It was a learning experience, and also the last time I ever drew the sketch entirely in pen. One other thing, it is not a totally original pose, I mostly went off of the cover of the first RBHS dvd.

You can comment on the coloring though, despite the fact the scans seem to dimish the colors no matter what I do.

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Chapel » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:30 pm

with joints just know where they bend and add some shading to hint at it so when know where you have them bend. Other than that, I don't use Pencils so don't knock the Pen. LOL I stopped using pencils years ago. Infact all the art you see me do is prescetched in pen and then darkend in pen. You never miss up, because if you do it's over.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Xavier249 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:34 am

:shake: Ooops, sorry, I didn't intend to sound like I was knocking the pen. :sweat:
Pen’s just don’t agree with me when I first start sketching. I make a lot of mistakes. :hits_self

As I understand it, you Chapel, just use normal bic pens, right? Sorry, bout sounding like I was attacking you.
I just like to use pencils, since I never had any intention of putting them on the comp till, now. There is a stage in my drawing where I go over the all the lines in pen to give it a good clean look, it is at that time that I should transfer them to the comp, not after I have colored them. My scanner seems to kill them to a certain extent.

Thanks for the tips on joints. That makes sense. :)

I'll try and complete something that I have recently started. Right now I have just been showing stuff from 6 months or more ago. Hmm. . . now which thing should I fix up? *Leaves abruptly dashing out of room*
*Returns* “oops I better finish this post first.â€

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Mave » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:59 am

Xavier249 wrote:Black and blue are my tools of choice because you can get mechanical pencil lead in blue and black. The blue allows me to do things like stick figures, circles etc. and not have them mess up the final product, because the blue blends in by the time you have gone over everything in regular pencil.

Also, if I photocopy them in black and white, the blue doesn't come through at all. Try it with normal lined paper some time. The blue lines vanish and you get a nice edge line and your words. :)

oooh really? I do have mechanical pencil lead in blue, red and green actually but never used them to their full potential....yet. :sweat: I've seen artbooks (especially those for cell arts) utilize those different colors and thought they might help out in some digital coloring such as outlining shades. That's something new to me, thanks, Xavier. ;) This thread is getting more interesting! (hooray, more ppl join join! )

I feel most comfortable with pencils but I sure hate unintentionally smudging my works (happens all the time for lefties like me >_<). I've been geting myself comfortable with the pen(s) recently. I guess it really depends on the purpose and final product you want to obtain. Either ways, you can obtain an awesome piece of work from both. ^^ I prefer ink pens to ball points, although I can work with both.

BTW, how did you color that last pic? Color pencils?
Mave

Postby Xavier249 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:46 am

Mave wrote: ooh really? I do have mechanical pencil lead in blue, red and green actually but never used them to their full potential....yet. :sweat: I've seen artbooks (especially those for cell arts) utilize those different colors and thought they might help out in some digital coloring such as outlining shades. That's something new to me, thanks, Xavier. ]
Green! :) Where'd you find that? One of the local art stores I visit only has red, black and blue. I didn't get red yet because I wasn't sure how helpful red would be since it doesn't fade into the backround

Mave wrote:I feel most comfortable with pencils but I sure hate unintentionally smudging my works (happens all the time for lefties like me >_<). I've been geting myself comfortable with the pen(s) recently. I guess it really depends on the purpose and final product you want to obtain. Either ways, you can obtain an awesome piece of work from both. ^^ I prefer ink pens to ball points, although I can work with both.

Oh, that is funny. I find I have the smudging problem with normal pencils and ink in general. Mechanical pencils not so much, but I am right-handed so that might make a difference.

Mave wrote:BTW, how did you color that last pic? Color pencils?

Yup! :thumb: Prismacolor variety.

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Chapel » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:29 am

not a lot of problems with smudging, althoug when I fill alot of area with black the side of my hand turns black with ink, that is why I must recomend the smudge glove for any one interested, i made on myself.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Xavier249 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:31 am

Chapel wrote:not a lot of problems with smudging, althoug when I fill alot of area with black the side of my hand turns black with ink, that is why I must recomend the smudge glove for any one interested, i made on myself.

Chapel

Smudge glove, Hows that work? I've tried drawing while wearing my biking gloves but they hinder my drawing too much.
Yup i am interested. :)

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Chapel » Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:53 pm

well a smudge gloves only the pinky finger and the one next to it with fingers on the glove, ussually white material, I used an a-shirt to make mine. Some where in these forums I have the proceduer, I'll go look.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Chapel » Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:13 pm

I would recommend a Pigma Micron, I have a 1, 3, and 5 tip in those and there very expensive but very nice and have a tendancy not to smudge bad. Now about the smudge matter. I recommend a smudge glove. Here I'll tell you how to make one so you don't have to buy one. I don't know where they even sell them, anyway spread you finders on a white piece of stretchable fabric, like an old white t-shirt or an A-shirt. Make sure it's white so you'll know when to clean it. So trace around your fingers then mirror that image from the furthest finger, add a couple cinameters, cut it out, sew around the edges then cut out the middle finger, pointer finger, and thumb, you can also just not cut out thaose fingers but hey do what ever.

I found it, it was hidding on Mave's topic.

Well there you have it the secret to worm holes John Criton...

I mean the way to make a smudge glove silly me.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jun 13, 2004 12:14 pm

If you please, Chapel, do not bump except in Goof Off and Roleplay forums. I will delete the post in question, though your purpose will have been effectively served in my own post.
uc pseudonym

Postby Chapel » Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:19 pm

I had wondered about that, you answered my question. I'm in a roleplaying forum community and we do bump all the time, I didn't know why there was no bumping here. So in a way the bump was a question in itself. Thank you.

Chapel
Chapel

Okay, I am back for about 2hours...

Postby Xavier249 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:56 am

Just thought I'd fire this your way, chapel. It seems no one has kept you too busy over the weekend. . . (Do we have a no-posting thing on Sunday?) . .. I was gone to Minnesota for the awards ceremony for the Statefishart thing. I got to tour the mall of america again among other things, like being announced at the twins games Sunday and meeting their first baseman. . . . :)

During that time I sketched a bunch of things. I want to try and implement your points so I am going to post two faces for your critique. :) They are not quite complete but I don't have time right now to work on them anymore so Have at it! :)

Sad news is that I will not be here till friday, and may not even be able to reply till Sunday(see question about sundays...) as I am at a retreat all Saturday.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I now wear my biking gloves when doing almost anything. This means smudging is no longer a problem, plus the gloves don't hinder my drawing any either. :) I hope to get a pair of paintball gloves to wear, because they look a lot cooler...

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Postby Chapel » Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:03 pm

Alright brace your self boy here I go. Tee hee

Pic one

Ok I know you said you aren't finished with these, but that the same clean up all the excess marks. Going on from there. The hair it is always a pain to get hair to look like if fell to where it lays, now one of the things you would do to make that effect more conviencing is to let the bangs fall backwards and over the head. Unless shes from the eighties with enough hair spray to stick a moose to the wall her bangs will fall back from her forehead That will make the scene look more realistic. The eyes, now this may sound weird less detail , more detail. Less hard lines for those make the eves seem uninviting. I would take out alot of your hard lines and make the eyes softer. um its hard to explain. I did that exact same method with the eyes i drew when i was in highschool. I drew out all the hard lines and and dark circles for light sheen. I would soften up the eyes by blending all the dark into the light the only real definition I would have in the eyes is the black pupil. I give you major props for the way you drew the nose and mouth. I really like those and proportionally they are just wonderful. Three cheers n all. A good solid chin as well.

Pic two

Ok this one needs work on the hair. Its not the same as most of the hair i have seen you draw. IT seems that you concentrated on the face and then threw hair around it in haste. Thats just what I see. I would go back and add a little more to the hair deffinition wise. still on the hair when i saw this pic the first time my immediate reaction was thats an odd nose after the first pics nose. It wasn't a nose when I closer inspected it. It was hair fallen across the face. Back up to the top. The hair looks kind of like a very large nose. Another first impression of this picture would be the eyes. At first I though someone took a swing and conected with this person. Also upon closed inspection I found it to be just a marking under the eye. I would also add more deffinition to that, if does in my opinion give the impression of a clear cut case of abuse. LOL No pun intended. Once again props for a job well done on the mouth. You have got that aspect of the face down PAT.

Well thats my synopsis. Don't take anything personally, thats just how I would cratic it if it was my own. I hope my words helped.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Chapel » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:06 am

Hey Mave I was wondering scense you did fan art for me if you would like me to do fan art for you?

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Mave » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:29 am

Chapel,

you know...I never thought that. Of course! It would be my honor if you were to do fanart for me! ^_^

Thanks!
Mave

Postby Kireihana » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:22 am

Mave wrote:I feel most comfortable with pencils but I sure hate unintentionally smudging my works (happens all the time for lefties like me >_<).

But if you're drawing right-to-left like traditional manga, you kind of have an advantage don't you? ...Unless you're like me and skip all over the page to draw :lol:

I smudge a lot because I hold my pencil funny, so my hand always drags across the paper. However I don't have smudging problems when outlining; I use Sakura Micron pens, and they dry really fast, are waterproof, and resistant to smudging.

I have some new art I am really eager to post, but my scanner is on strike so it might be a while... :mutter:
Kireihana

Postby Hitokiri » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:31 pm

Hey I'd like to announce coming in the near future I will be starting another managa :D (i sitll have to finish my other 2 :sweat: )

Anyways..I'm working on the premise of it but basically it's bout these kids who live on Jupiter and are in training shcool to become mech pilots. The average age for these kids is like 13 or 14. I'm gonna try an dget different with the Mechs then the usual Gundam models. Even more different then Eva.

I just drew the main character and he looks pretty good. I might change some stuff on him.

I may call it "Tears of Jupiter" but I'm not sure as of yet.
Hitokiri

Postby Mave » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:48 pm

[quote="Kireihana"]But if you're drawing right-to-left like traditional manga, you kind of have an advantage don't you? ...Unless you're like me and skip all over the page to draw :lol:

I smudge a lot because I hold my pencil funny, so my hand always drags across the paper. However I don't have smudging problems when outlining]

LOL that's true! That's why I've been opting a lot more for the right to left panels. ^_^ but I still get smudges. :eh: Sure beats me how that happens. Maybe I'm just not that smart. haha

but yes! The Sakura pens dry very fast. :thumb: I love it.

Gah Hitokiri, how dare you finish your mangas so quickly!? Look at my progress *points below at signature* It's so friggin slow!!! :bang: :bang: :bang: hehe You certainly must post them here eventually, OK? ;)

EDIT: my signature doesn't appear in this post but...ah you know what I mean. ^^
Mave

Postby Chapel » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:53 pm

This is fanart Wiggens did for me, I thought it was really good and you should all congradulate him.

Mave i'm almost done with your fan art I have been working on the ad promo pic for my ad banner. It looks really good, but so will your fan art. Love you all.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby Kireihana » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:27 am

Great job, Wiggins! Those are some difficult body positions you tackled! ^_^
Kireihana

Postby Chapel » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:36 pm

I cuncor, the boy needs kudos.

Congrats man, heres to the rest of your lifes work and we all look forward to your next work.

Chapel
Chapel

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:51 pm

When I draw pages I tend to draw parts then ink them in... slowly and carefully to avoid hand smudging (I try to work top to bottom L-R if possible to assist with smudging as well... but it dosnt work in figure drawing cuz they're too big to draw that way... therefore my figure stuff is usu. smudgy unless I try to protect it with paper under my hand or somthing.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mave » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:26 pm

Cheers for wiggins!! I knew you could do it! ;)
Mave

Postby Xavier249 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:09 pm

*Stares at Fanart*
Wow. That rocks!

*remembers he had something to say:*

Chapel, thank you for the critique. I will give a more extensive reply later. I just found out that I am leaving this Friday and will be gone till the 4th of July. If I get time I will implement your ideas to the best of my abilities.
Thanks again! :)

Until I type again, keep your pen to the paper!

Knight of the CAA

"Radio Show Stuffs!"

Xavier249

Previous Next

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews