D. Gray Man

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

D. Gray Man

Postby KBMaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:29 am

Could someone please tell me the extent of any sexual content, nudity, gore, or language in D. Gray Man? I'm already aware of the blood in the first few chapter. Does it get gory or anything? And I'm also aware of the religious content. Thankies muchly! I just don't want any nasty surprises... :P

Also, what is with the name?! Weird...
KBMaster

Postby Tigerchu » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:40 am

I'm also concerned about this series. Was it made with actual Christianity in mind? It's also a bit creepy.
Have faith
-From somewhere in the Bible, and I agree with it

-God will only give you what you can take. He will not overwhelm you.
-From somewhere in the Bible

-Your faith becomes stronger when it's tested.
-I saw a Chinese guy with a cross on his restaurant desk in America. That's so cool. You can do that here. Not so much China.

I've recently been learning that I don't need to be "loud and pushy" to Evangelize; just living it out is enough witness. The problem was that I grew up around strong Evangelists (Korean Christians) and they were really into getting people involved and setting out to Evangelize, and me being a a yes-man (or yes woman) I was into trying to convert people.
I've been learning this lesson over the years, but have been trying to be pushy. Now I'm trying to ease off.
Tigerchu

Postby KBMaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:46 am

Mm, I don't think so. The Japanese are kind of ignorant about Christianity, yet they implement it in many mangas. I keep that in mind when reading mangas of this sort. If it were taking a stab at Christianity or was PURPOSELY twisting it, then I would be offended.
KBMaster

Postby Debitt » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:10 am

D.Gray-man was meant to be creepy, methinks. :3

I follow this manga very closely, so to put things in brief:

- As Japan is a largely secular country, it would be silly to automatically assume that any manga would be written with real Christianity in mind, and D.Gray-man is no exception. The religious undertones are mainly a vehicle for the plot, or are designed to look cool. Which, admittedly, they do. If you're very sensitive about biblical elements being portrayed "correctly" in media, then I'd reccommend you not read this one. I personally think that it doesn't go into any subjects that could theologically lead a solid Christian astray (most of the elements that are misrepresented are very obviously 'not right', and stem from a general ignorance of the bible - there's no ideological ninja-ing here.), however it's best to take the series with a grain of salt.

- as I reach back into the depths of my Nyquil dulled mind, I'd have to say sexual content and nudity are nearly nonexistent. I think the worst of it is a skimpy outfit or two, and a male character commenting about how a girl has a nice body.

- the first few chapters are, so far, a good gauge for how violent the series is. If it bothers you, then it doesn't get better, and if you're okay with it, then know that it won't get worse.

Last edit: Not quite sure what is up with the title, but from later chapters you can deduce that it has something to do with Allen's cursed eye.

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby KBMaster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:12 pm

Yay! I read the first two chapters and it looks really good, but I didn't want to read it if it had sex or nudity.

Blood doesn't bother me. If that's the extent, then that's fine. Thanks, KD!
KBMaster

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:32 pm

yep. much of the offensive content in this manga is featured in its violence and its creepy spiritual overtones. the story's quite dark but there's some comic relief to keep it sorta on the happy side. some of the action in this manga is quite hard to follow, and at times, the story is rather confusing at times. that's one of the reasons why i stopped reading the manga after about chapter 65.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby That Dude » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:14 pm

From what I've read it's quite enjoyable if a little hard to keep up with. And pretty much no nudity or sex.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:44 pm

yes. a good clean manga (sexual content-wise).

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Xiao-Mei » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:56 pm

SPOILER ALERT!!!

I think the meaning of the name has something to do with the spectrum of good and evil. Traditionally, white represents "good", and black represents "evil", right? Therefore, Innocence = white and Earl = black.

But when you're thinking along those lines, humans can't exactly be classified in that manner. They're neither purely "good", nor all "evil". Also, what about the akuma? They are humans, who want no part in the Earl's plan. But they are still some of the main villains who slaughter and pose problems for the exorcists. What about the Noahs, who are humans that are helping the Earl? What about the humans who called on the Earl to bring their family back? Are they grey, but closer to black? The exorcists are also human, but they posess holy tools. Are they greys that are closer to white? They can't be classified as purely 'black' or 'white'. Even if it's bending more towards one of the ends of the spectrums, they are still grey.

Allen can see the akuma hidden in humans' skins, and also the souls that are suffering inside the akuma. Also, Allen called on the Earl for help before he became an exorcist. Because of that, he is cursed, and the akuma's curse (black) mingles with the pureness of his Innocence (white). Therefore, he is "The [color=DimGray]Gray
Man", or "D. Gray-man".

At least that's how I see it...[/color]
夏天的雨; Under the summer rain... I burnt away... ~
夏天的天空; Under the summer rain... You turned away ~

Procrastinate now, don't do it later! :drool: :lol:
Xiao-Mei

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:21 pm

Xiao-Mei wrote:SPOILER ALERT!!!

Also, Allen called on the Earl for help before he became an exorcist. Because of that, he is cursed, and the akuma's curse (black) mingles with the pureness of his Innocence (white). Therefore, he is "The [color=DimGray]Gray
Man", or "D. Gray-man".

At least that's how I see it...[/color]

holy cow! i did not know that. some mangas that i read and animes that i watch, have titles that make no sense to me. like bleach and fate/stay night.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Debitt » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:27 pm

Never thought about it that way. :D Interesting. I'm also wondering if:

[spoiler]The D in the title has something to do with the skull that appeared from Allen's eye while he was fighting Eliade. There was a big D over the skull's eye socket, and the entire event was quite out of the ordinary and even though it hasn't been revisited since, it probably has some importance.[/spoiler]

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby Xiao-Mei » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:58 pm

I agree. It might appear again later.

A guy I know nicknamed Poetfreak (who wants to be credited for his explanations) pointed out that the letter "D" is the start of many words associated with unpleasantness, such as: demon, dark, damned, death, dundgeon and dank. I don't know if that's of great significance, but since the manga D. Gray-man deals with good, evil, etc, that might also be of importance. We'll find out eventually... but I bet fans will tear the title apart and discover its meaning before Katsura-sensei tells us. :lol:
夏天的雨; Under the summer rain... I burnt away... ~
夏天的天空; Under the summer rain... You turned away ~

Procrastinate now, don't do it later! :drool: :lol:
Xiao-Mei

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews