Reservations about Shojo Beat

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Reservations about Shojo Beat

Postby Trackball » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:21 pm

I've always preferred romantic anime and manga, but when I found an issue of the female-oriented counterpart of Shonen Jump at Barnes and Noble with the words "BOYS OH BOYS" on the cover...

Well, I am and always will be a heterosexual, but I'm also not much of a risk-taker. I'd be way too embarrassed to buy that issue in public...

Anyway, is the mag any good? :sweat: :red:
Trackball

Postby Tommy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:24 pm

It's good if you prefer romantic anime and manga.

Oh.....you do.

Problum solved.

Just test read it and see if there are any good series in there.
I only personally enjoy two shojo titles:

Honey and Clover as well as Fruits Basket.

Just pay some girl 10$ to go in there and buy it for you giving her the extra 2....unless it costs more.
Tommy

Postby rocklobster » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:33 pm

I like Please Save My Earth, which is a shojo title as well. And I'm as heterosexual as you can get!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:05 pm

http://www.shojobeat.com/

I have myself the first issue, but a few titles are way to hetrosexual.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:10 pm

Well, I don't read the actual magazine myself, but if you're up for a good, romantic, and relatively clean series that's published by Shoujo Beat, then I'll have to reccommend Full Moon wo Sagashite. Also, I hear Aishiteruze Baby is good, although I can't vouch for its cleanliness, as I've never read it myself.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kaligraphic » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:31 pm

Um, my main reservation is that it's so girly and feminine. But if you like that stuff, go ahead.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby Ashley » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:10 am

As an avid shojo fan I was once very pleased to hear of this upcoming magazine, but I have to say I've been sorely disappointed. I've read reviews of all the series, and frankly if they aren't lacking in plot or art they are certainly lacking in modesty. My advice? Save your money and buy Full Moon. If you must have the series showcased, wait til they come out in GN and then you are only buying the series that you know you approve of, without any nasty suprises.
Ashley

Postby KBMaster » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:04 am

...Wow, you really do tell everyone to buy Full Moon, doncha? Lol, j/k.

You could always read it in the store or read some of the titles offered by the magazine in the store. THEN you can go and hire a girl to buy it for you.
KBMaster

Postby Tommy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:49 am

rocklobster wrote:I like Please Save My Earth, which is a shojo title as well. And I'm as heterosexual as you can get!

If you like that, then there are people who are more hetrosexual.

Nah.....man, I'm just messin' with ya.

I prefer Shonen Jump over Shojo Beat, but I doubt that bears an relevance to the topic at hand.
Tommy

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:16 pm

PSME is even considered...?

Out of the magazine I ahve to recommend Baby and Me and Kaze Hikaru (jsut gotta love the Shinsengumi) and FullMoon and Ultra Maniac.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:13 pm

Trackball wrote:I've always preferred romantic anime and manga, but when I found an issue of the female-oriented counterpart of Shonen Jump at Barnes and Noble with the words "BOYS OH BOYS" on the cover...

Well, I am and always will be a heterosexual, but I'm also not much of a risk-taker. I'd be way too embarrassed to buy that issue in public...

Anyway, is the mag any good? :sweat: :red:

Personally, I think you're better off just buying volumes of manga, because, frankly, a lot of the manga that's published in that anthology is somewhat risque and just not something that I consider an "edifying read." For that reason, I just buy the volumes I like and avoid what I don't, rather than buy the magazine and get a couple chapters I approve of and more than a few that I don't. :)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Tommy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:28 pm

[Quote=Trackball]I've always preferred romantic anime and manga, but when I found an issue of the female-oriented counterpart of Shonen Jump at Barnes and Noble with the words "BOYS OH BOYS" on the cover...[/quote]

Sounds like the Japanese version of Cosmo Girl or Seventeen or
whatever for manga.
Tommy

Postby Ashley » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:53 am

Sounds like the Japanese version of Cosmo Girl or Seventeen or
whatever for manga.

I think it's closer to Ribon--which is an actual manga magazine in Japan. All we need is furoku and colored pages!
Ashley

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:37 am

I also like Full Moon. Good stuff there. By the way, Fruits Basket isn't a Shoujo Beat title (I wish it was, then it'd be cheaper).

A SB title I've been wondering about is Ouran High School Host Club. I've seen several episodes of the anime and it is absolutely hilarious. I was just wondering if anyone's read the manga and if it's any good.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:20 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:A SB title I've been wondering about is Ouran High School Host Club. I've seen several episodes of the anime and it is absolutely hilarious. I was just wondering if anyone's read the manga and if it's any good.

You should get in touch with Myrrhlynn. She's read most of it, I understand. However, I hear that the anime follows very closely with the manga, and I like the anime's style better. I've chosen to just watch the anime instead of read the manga, so-- you know what I would do. ;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Chii » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:51 pm

I bought one issue and I liked it!

I looooove the girliness ^.^

P.S I don't advice you buy it...I mean it's only four more bucks for an actual manga. You could check it out just read it quickly at B&N or something, its informative but not that grand.
Whatever the sentiment, Whatever the expression
The most beautiful thing in the world is love
Chii

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:22 am

Ashley wrote:I think it's closer to Ribon--which is an actual manga magazine in Japan. All we need is furoku and colored pages!

Sounds about right

Shonen Jump= Jump

Shojobeat= Ribon
Shao Feng-Li

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:57 pm

I looked through one copy the last time I was at Barnes & Nobles and the only thing I saw that was questionable was an ad for an Yaoi magazine.
mitsuki lover

Postby oro! » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:03 pm

I looked at the mag when it first came out...to find in disgust that there is tooo much yuckiness in it, like the premise of Absolute Boyfriend. I would not buy it, myself. Maybe Kaze Hikaru...
"I've learned when you throw mud at others, not only do you get your hands dirty, but you also lose a lot of ground." Ravi Zacharias
"Pride grows in the human heart like lard on a pig." Aleksander Solzhenitzen (so call me on it)
"Zeal without knowledge can lead to chaos." - Bob Rohm
"Why don't we love his truth as much as we seem to love his love?"- Cross Movement, in their song "Check us Out"
oro!

Postby memmer66 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:42 pm

I'm just happy cause it brought over Count Cain.
memmer66

Postby memmer66 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:43 pm

I'm just happy cause it brought over Count Cain.

{Sushi}-san

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:
memmer66

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:16 pm

And Vampire Knight looks pretty cool.
Shao Feng-Li

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews