D. Gray-Man

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

D. Gray-Man

Postby CookinLikeSanji » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:06 pm

Didn't find a topic on this manga already so I figured I'd give it a shot...

Recently started getting into this series, reminds a little bit of a toned down Hellsing (Which I love). So far I'm digging the artwork especially, awesome stuff, seems like a solid story too. Although there is some obvious objectionable content (Blood, Demons, Etc.) this looks to be a promising series that I plan on following in the future.

Anyone else here read this yet? Oppinions?
Cosplays Planned for Anime Vegas and PMX

Inuyasha (Inuyasha) - 0%
Kakashi (Naruto) - 0%
Komui (D.Gray-Man) - 0% (Not for AV/PMX - Starting Early for Anime Los Angeles)
CookinLikeSanji

Postby Debitt » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:20 am

I've been following D.Gray-man for a good long while now, and I love it to pieces. <3 If you're interested in getting a bit of a summary on future objectionable content, feel free to drop me a PM. <3

[SIZE="5"](*゚∀゚)アハア八アッ八ッノヽ~☆[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DEBS: Fan of that manga where the kid's head is on fire.[/SIZE]
Debitt

Postby CookinLikeSanji » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:12 pm

Na, not to worried about objectionable content myself, I'm not much of a stickler on that.

Just wanted to warn others who may be interested in this that there is a bit of objectionable content within the manga.

...Oh, and your avatar rules XD L 4 Lyfe!
Cosplays Planned for Anime Vegas and PMX

Inuyasha (Inuyasha) - 0%
Kakashi (Naruto) - 0%
Komui (D.Gray-Man) - 0% (Not for AV/PMX - Starting Early for Anime Los Angeles)
CookinLikeSanji

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:15 pm

I've been reading D. Gray-man for a while, though not recently due to the author's lengthy break (which looks as though it is finally over now).

Overall I enjoy it, but in all honesty I feel it is fairly typical shonen manga. Until some of the recent characters, almost everyone has fit into a very basic archetype. Furthermore, I'm not terribly fond of any characters as of yet (Cross Marion, if anyone) and I really dislike the Millenium Earl. He comes off really weird to me and without any redeeming qualities. The Noah Family is somewhat more interesting, but I mostly want Akuma as villains.

Regarding the 74 and 75:
[spoiler]I realize that shonen characters can get massively more powerful ridiculously quickly, but still... going to Japan is logically suicide. Not that logic has any bearing here. Still, theoretically they don't stand a chance. Each level of Akuma appears to be exponentially more powerful than the previous ones. A Level III basically fought everyone at once and Linali had to make a major sacrifice to beat it. What would a Level IV be like? At this stage, should we even be thinking about a Level V?[/spoiler]
uc pseudonym

Postby That Dude » Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:40 pm

It looks interesting...I glanced through for the first time today. I liked the art. Though the storyline seemed a little much like a basic shonan manga as UC said.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Xiao-Mei » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:07 pm

I really like the series. Many of the characters remind me of characters from Fullmetal Alchemist (Allen is very similar to Ed). I'm really looking forward to the anime.
Xiao-Mei

Postby Myoti » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:13 pm

Question: what are the differences in the level of Akuma? I was flipping through the first volume and was a bit turned off that all the Akuma seemed to look the same (giant ball thing with spikes), but if there's other kinds, I might be interested in this.
Myoti

Postby Xiao-Mei » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:22 pm

Spoiler warning!!!

In the first level of akuma, they basically look like the spiked ball thing. In second level, they're a bit smarter, stronger, and more evil. Third-level akuma have a distinct power, such as being able to suck away all of the cells in someone's body.
Xiao-Mei

Postby Debitt » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:12 pm

Xiao-mei pretty much got it - also, second level+ Akuma are sentinent, whereas first level Akuma are basically just mindless weapons of the Earl. ^^

EDIT: :sweat: Also, I don't see the parallels that are drawn between Allen and Ed. But that's my own personal opinion. I enjoyed Allen's character much more than Ed's.

Debitt

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:59 pm

The two of them have almost everything, but just to make absolutely certain your question was answered: first level Akuma are identical, but levels II and III are each unique in design and abilities. We haven't seen a level I in quite a few chapters.
uc pseudonym

Postby Xiao-Mei » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:35 am

Also, with the Level 1's, the exorcists can basically slash right through them with ease. The level 2's and 3's are harder to destroy.

The parallels between Allen and Ed basically stop at their appearances and experiences (both missing an arm, light-haired, lost a parent and tried to bring them back, etc, etc). Allen is a little bit nicer than Ed ^-^
夏天的雨; Under the summer rain... I burnt away... ~
夏天的天空; Under the summer rain... You turned away ~

Procrastinate now, don't do it later! :drool: :lol:
Xiao-Mei

Postby Debitt » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:19 am

Xiao-Mei wrote:The parallels between Allen and Ed basically stop at their appearances and experiences (both missing an arm, light-haired, lost a parent and tried to bring them back, etc, etc). Allen is a little bit nicer than Ed ^-^

Ah ha, gotcha. :lol: when people say they're alike I start thinking personality-wise and go "uhm....no? ;^;"

Debitt

Postby Kami » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:09 pm

o_o I love this manga. I caught up to chapter....85 ^_^ Very good. >_> I <3 it.

The parallels between Allen and Ed basically stop at their appearances and experiences (both missing an arm, light-haired, lost a parent and tried to bring them back, etc, etc). Allen is a little bit nicer than Ed ^-^

o_o Ed and Allen alike ?? No way xD They're pretty different, in my opinion.

-Kami
FKA snowangel kamui

The future has yet to be determined...

" OHMYGOSH. Maybe it IS THE PHARMACIST. " -Me

" I swear. Sony and Nintendo have been fighting for years. They're like two fat kids wanting the last cupcake on earth. " - Me

Please visit mine and Yeito's site :
www.akame.iwarp.com
Kami

Postby Myoti » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:15 pm

first level Akuma are identical, but levels II and III are each unique in design and abilities.

Okay, that's what I was wondering. I may have to try it in that case.
Myoti

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews