No more Bleach....

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

No more Bleach....

Postby Tommy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:23 pm

Well, I'm not using any names but let's just say...

A went into B's backpack and pulled out Volume 4 of Bleach.

A read it.

A said B was not allowed to read it any more due to sexual innuendo and spiritual content.

B is pretty upset but wants to know how good the series became after Volume 4 or if it stayed just as good from the beginning.
Tommy

Postby Radical Dreamer » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:36 pm

Hahaaa, been there. XD Except it was with Fruits Basket, and it was volume 3. But yeah, even though I've never read Bleach, you have my condolences. :lol:
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:32 pm

Moved to the manga forum. Meanwhile, you seem to be asking about how the manga is after that volume.

Personally, I thought Bleach was pretty mundane until Volume 20. Interesting, but just typical shonen. But most of the things that happened prior to that volume are really setup for a fairly big plot twist and a significant change in direction that I feel redeems the series as a whole. At volume 4 you are still in the very introduction, of which I was never particularly fond.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:09 pm

yeah. once the bleach series gets to about volume 10 or so, there's a lot more action and it gets a lot cooler. and like uc pseudonym said, there's a pretty plot twist in the series and i can already tell that this series is going to be pretty long before it ends. let's hope it doesn't turn into naruto (at least in my opinion)...
jon_jinn

Postby Tommy » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:16 pm

The main reason this series was taken away from me was the spiritual influences on my life and the sexual innuendo.
Tommy

Postby termyt » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:38 pm

So table it for a few years. It will wait for you.

Of course, that's easy for me to say. I'm too old for A to go through my things and tell me I can't read something I want to. I'm not a Bleach fan, either. So, don't read my opening sentence. INstead read this one:

Tough break. I'm sorry you have manga taken away from you. Perhaps if you feel the same way about it in a few years, you can pick it up again.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Myoti » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:42 pm

The main reason this series was taken away from me was the spiritual influences on my life and the sexual innuendo.

Yet you've seen all of FMA. No offense, but you confuse me Tom. o_o

So table it for a few years. It will wait for you.

Indeed. Bleach seems pretty good for what I've seen (so far; can't remember where I left off...).
Myoti

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:34 pm

Myoti wrote:Yet you've seen all of FMA. No offense, but you confuse me Tom. o_o

Of course, it wasn't his decision. Perhaps A didn't observe FMA very thoroughly. After all, if it had been a volume that didn't happen to contain anything that appeared objectionable, B would probably still be reading it.
uc pseudonym

Postby Joshua Christopher » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:15 pm

Wait, I'm really confused. Are your parents the alphabet? :drool:
Joshua Christopher

Postby TrigunX89 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:49 am

I'm sure that kinda thing has happened to a lot of us. As for Bleach, I can't really say. I've only read the first 3 volumes. I can bet you'll find another manga to fill the hole for the next few years, though. Still, I'm sorry it happened.
TrigunX89

Postby Myoti » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:00 am

Of course, it wasn't his decision. Perhaps A didn't observe FMA very thoroughly. After all, if it had been a volume that didn't happen to contain anything that appeared objectionable, B would probably still be reading it.

That's all I can guess. There's few manga you can find without questionable content. :/
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:47 pm

Well, A found the spritual content in Bleach to be negative and pointing to Buddism.

FMA just had Alchemy...
Tommy

Postby KBMaster » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:57 pm

Poor, poor B. There's plenty of other mangas out there to tide your over, I'm sure. :D Just hang in there!
KBMaster

Postby MasterDias » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:20 pm

Tom Dincht wrote:Well, A found the spritual content in Bleach to be negative and pointing to Buddism.

Actually, the concept of shinigami is closer to Shintoism than anything else. But, it's basically used in Japan the same way we in the west would use Grim Reapers or various Greek gods. Popular in legends and fictitious works, but it doesn't strike me as a serious part of any practiced religion.
Bleach's world has always seemed quite video game-ish and fantasy to me, especially compared to the convoluted religious references of Shaman King. I don't find anything really wrong with the alchemic references in FMA either, but I would generally expect someone to take offense at that over the things in Bleach.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Tommy » Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:03 am

Well, A thought that it was based on Buddism, but I doubt it makes a difference either way.
Tommy

Postby Myoti » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:37 am

Either way, it's fantasy. A made-up story based off fictituos creations. o-O

And I've always thought that if FMA were as popular as, say, "Pokemon," it'd probably be attacked for being "satanic" and stuff (even though it's 1) fantasy as well and 2) suppose to be a "science," not magic :/ ).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "A" is foolish for putting it away or anything, I'm just curious as to why one thing is considered that way and others not. -_o
Myoti

Postby Joshua Christopher » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:59 pm

I don't get why it's okay to read The Odyssey, but not Bleach. But hey, that's just my opinion.
Joshua Christopher

Postby termyt » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:41 am

Joshua Christopher wrote:I don't get why it's okay to read The Odyssey, but not Bleach. But hey, that's just my opinion.

3000 years.

When 3000 years old Bleach reaches, be as controversial it will not.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Myoti » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:43 am

When 3000 years old Bleach reaches, be as controversial it will not.

Hah hah, indeed. XD
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:59 am

Well, A changed his mind and let me read it again as long as me and my friend don't swap books of the series to borrow at Church/School (Same building). Well, thanks for your input, no point for this thread any longer.
Tommy

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:32 pm

Post count fix. Please disregard.
Mithrandir

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:14 am

Yeah and one more thing the Vol. 4 B had was actually C's book!
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Tommy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:07 pm

C is Monkey J. Luffy.

Yeah, as I said before this thread should be abonded MJL but I'm sure everyone appreciates that comment so it's all good.

It stinks for you too because you decided to collect all the volumes of bleach and the 9th volume ( I think it was 9 ) has a WICKED fanservicey cover.
Tommy

Postby Monkey J. Luffy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:13 pm

Tell me about it...
Monkey J. Luffy

Postby Starfire1 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:22 pm

Radical Dreamer wrote:Hahaaa, been there. XD Except it was with Fruits Basket, and it was volume 3. But yeah, even though I've never read Bleach, you have my condolences. :lol:

i read all of fruits basket. what was in volume 3 that i missed?
and so i won't be totally off-topic, i abandoned bleach after the 1st volume.
Only a dead thing goes with the stream. Only a living thing can go against it.

USSRGirl wrote:>.< No. Because I say it tastes of evil. And everyone is entitled to my opinion.

"It is impossible to end hatred with hatred"-Gandi

Adopted by Mega.EXE
Adopted: KhakiBlueSocks, ShadowChild
Starfire1

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews