Shoujo Beat manga?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Shoujo Beat manga?

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:10 am

Well, every time I pass through a store that sells Shoujo Beat, the cover artwork always seems to attract me... Now, I'm been in a shoujoy mood for quite a while^^ and want to know what you would say (if you do follow the anthology or read the tankoubans), would be a favorite title pick from it? And I'm talking more just the titles that appear every month in the mag. I own some Full Moon myself^^ So I know about those other titles... just not so much of the ones that appear inside... I know before Absolute Boyfriend attracted me with the art, but after hearing things and reading the review... not really anymore (and if you've ever seen the front cover of the 1st volume's gn, 0_0... talk about fan service!) Butanyways, what about the other titles in there? To get a more Christian opinion is what I'm looking for, just cause I could simply look it up on the Viz website, but not like it'll tell everything... also other titles like "Godchild" interest me, once again, for the art. But not sure if it's a bad one because of where the title is going and stuff...

Anyhow, any help will do! ^^
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:25 am

Well, as I see that you've already come into the possession of my very favorite series from SB (Full Moon), I think the only other thing that I've heard of as relatively clean is Kaze Hikaru. It's set during the Meiji Revolution in Japan, and is centered around historical characters such as Okita Souji and Saito Hajime. The basic storyline is similar to the movie Mulan, in that a girl must masquerade as a man to fight in the war. Although I've never read it myself, it seems like quite an interesting title, and I haven't heard anything offensive about it. Hope that helped a little! n_n;
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby mai » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:29 am

The only title I've read is Count Cain [is that the same as God child?] I read the first two volumes about a year ago, scanlations, and I have to say it is one of my least favorite manga. I found the violence over the top, more then was necessary to tell the stories Ex. this is gross and a spoiler [spoiler] In one of the stories a child was used as entertainment for a group of men, he wore a dress, they gave him drugs and pudding. When the men ate the pudding he killed them eating it out of there stomach[/spoiler] Overall I found it depressing and disturbing.
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Lady Macbeth » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:32 am

I know you're looking for a Christian perspective, but this might help fill in the details of series that aren't typically picked up by Christian readers, either because of their cover, title or theme.

Tenshi no Ai wrote:also other titles like "Godchild" interest me, once again, for the art. But not sure if it's a bad one because of where the title is going and stuff...

The title character's actual name is "Cain", if that helps with the "Godchild" reference.

Shojo Beat magazine titles (in order of preference):

Absolute Boyfriend by Yuu Watase (Yes, I saw your comments on it, so you may skip to the next title if you prefer. Absolute Boyfriend remains the top of my favorites in the serialized manga. You pretty much have it pinned for the questionable content - nudity, some language, adult situations, etc.)

Baby & Me by Marimo Ragawa - I fell in love with this title almost right away. While Absolute Boyfriend feeds my more mature interests, Baby & Me fills the more wholesome, family-oriented interests I have in manga. This series touches on the difficulties of growing up in an all-boy family from an elementary-school student's perspective. Dad's too busy to care for the baby full time, and the baby's too little to care for himself entirely - that leaves the stresses of growing up plus caregiving on the shoulders of someone who would normally be more concerned with toys and candy. I really have found nothing of question in this series - it's almost entirely about little kids growing up without a mom. (And she didn't leave through divorce - she died in an automobile accident, and the children's dad isn't ready to move past her and marry again - that's actually brought up in one of the chapters, when a friend tries to arrange a marriage date for him.)

Godchild by Kaori Yuki - The art style in this one actually turned me off initially, but I was pulled in within a couple of chapters by the story. Occultism and the darker aspects of the Victorian world run rampant in this story, so it's certainly not something that would appeal to every one, but I find Cain's struggles with his abused past and the current troubles surrounding the Hargreaves family to be an intriguing story.

Crimson Hero by Mitsuba Takanashi - I'm not normally one for "sports manga", but I love how inspiring and determined Nobara is to break away from her family traditions and make her own way in life. It also kind of strikes a chord with me as I'm one of the worst volleyball players on Earth - every year in gym class I would get hit in the face and my glasses would get broken until my mom made the school quit forcing me to play unless they wanted to pay for new glasses. :sweat: I actually enjoy playing the game but I'm not very good at it, which also helps me identify with side characters that show up later in the series. Nobara is breaking all the rules to being a "girl" - including cutting her hair short, dressing "like a boy", and living in a boy's dorm while she makes her way through school.

Nana by Ai Yazawa - This one just didn't grab me like it has fans in Japan and in the United States. Maybe it's because I've already done that "breaking away from home" thing and suffered through living on my own. Maybe it's because I've already lived the trail of poverty, unemployment and chasing dreams that might not come true. Or it could be that I just really don't like whiners and sap that much. I love Nana Osaki, but Nana Komatsu makes me want to smack her so bad that I can't even read scenes and chapters that she's the primary player in. ^_^]Kaze Hikaru[/u] by Taeko Watanabe - Honestly, I quit reading this one after only a couple of chapters. It really just did not grab me at all. I love Rurouni Kenshin, and this story should theoretically grab Ruroken fans, but I just couldn't get into it. The artwork played a part, because I don't care for the style, but the story just wasn't all that gripping either.

Non-magazine Shojo Beat titles (with the exception of Ouran High School Host Club, which I currently collect, my impressions of these have all come from either the preview chapters released in the Shojo Beat preview collection graphic novel or in the teaser/previews of Shojo Beat magazine; again, they're ranked in order of preference):

Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori - I would die without my Host Club. ^_^; This is a series that I anxiously await each new release for. It's odd in that I love pretty much all the characters - even the ones who are meant to be antagonists have their own sort of charm. I loved Nekozawa, the president of the Black Magic Club, even before his secret was revealed, and I only loved him more afterward. Each of the Host Club members has their own unique charm, including Haruhi, and the girls who play minor roles in the series give endearing glimpses into what the "normal" people of Ouran Academy are like. This series IS NOT for everyone. Nekozawa and his Black Magic Club aside (because the Host Club members make it clear that he's creepy and not normal), the relationships between the Host Club members sometimes edge beyond just facade and the whole concept of the Host Club could be offensive to some people (and is magnified if the reader understands the connotation of "Host Club" in Japan). Haruhi and her dad's dress and occupations/hobbies would bother a lot of people (her dad works at a tranny bar and lives the lifestyle, including making several references to being Haruhi's mother instead of her father, and Haruhi doesn't mind dressing as a boy or living a boy's lifestyle). Beyond that are also social/class relationships that might make some people uncomfortable. (Class in Japan is, if possible, even more exacerbated than here in the United States, with the wealthy and noble families being in an entirely different world than the poor and disreputable families.) If those barriers don't bother you, the romantic comedy in this story does a great job of keeping the reader on the edge through the entire story and wondering what each new turn of events is going to bring.

Tokyo Boys & Girls by Miki Aihara - The preview chapter for this one was really cute and interesting, and I would really like to pursue this series when I have more money. It has indications that the "gang" culture and troubles of adolescence will be drug into the main character's life.

MeruPuri by Matsuri Hino - I loved the preview chapter for this one, and it seems like a series I could really get into. I just haven't had the money to pick it up yet. This one struck me as being very CLAMP-esque - magic, mystery, and Earth girls being sucked into otherworldly disputes. High magic and hints at occultism pervade even the first chapter, so it's probably a dominant part of the series.

Ultra Maniac by Wataru Yoshizumi - The preview chapter for this one was so funny, but the art wasn't all that gripping. I'm thinking that this may eventually be a series I pick up, but it can wait a bit. It's about a witch, so needless to say witchcraft plays a predominant role - though from what I've seen it's more of the "Harry Potter" type magic/witchcraft than anything else - meant to be fun and entertaining for kids rather than portray actual witchcraft.

Fushigi Yûgi: Genbu Kaiden by Yuu Watase - I love Yuu Watase's work, but I haven't read anything beyond the preview chapter for this one - I need to finish reading Fushigi Yugi first. XD It seems to be basically a prologue to Fushigi Yugi, so you can pretty much expect everything that FY encompassed, only with different characters.

Full Moon by Arina Tanemura - This one is really cute from the preview I read, and it's a title I would like to read, but it's not on my priority list since I'm not starting any new series at the moment. The shinigami pair who make up part of the main character team are cute and hilarious - I have a feeling most of the magic and "occult" aspects of this series are the cute and endearing type that makes a fun plot device in a story about growing up.

Beauty Is the Beast by Tomo Matsumoto - I've never read this in actual graphic novel form, and the preview/teaser I read didn't draw me in at all. :sweat: I really couldn't even tell what it was about for sure, let alone what content it might contain.

Socrates in Love by Kyoichi Katayama and Kazumi Kazui - The art and the preview of this one didn't really grab me at all. If I get bored or someone lends it to me, I might give it a shot some time. It seems to be a typical "tragic love story" manga, but other readers might be able to give you more insight.
Toto, I don't think we're in Oz anymore...

I'm a woman - when I'm lost, I ask for directions.

Genjyo Sanzo: Banishing Stupidity, One Idiot at a Time
Lady Macbeth

Postby Lady Macbeth » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:41 am

mai wrote:The only title I've read is Count Cain [is that the same as God child?] I read the first two volumes about a year ago, scanlations, and I have to say it is one of my least favorite manga. I found the violence over the top, more then was necessary to tell the stories Ex. this is gross and a spoiler [spoiler] In one of the stories a child was used as entertainment for a group of men, he wore a dress, they gave him drugs and pudding. When the men ate the pudding he killed them eating it out of there stomach[/spoiler] Overall I found it depressing and disturbing.

Count Cain and its sequel Count Cain: Godchild are of the same storyline. (I've noticed "Godchild" in this country being run as "Cain", "Count Cain", "Count Cain: Godchild" and "Godchild" depending on the source talking about it.) I don't remember the particular scene you described coming up in the serialized manga yet, so it may have been from the first series.

And yes, the violence is a regular part of the story and tends to be "over the top". The macabre and the outrageous are characteristic of Victorian-era and Pre-Victorian stories - this is the same era that the Marquis de Sade came from. (If you don't know who that is, don't ask or Google it]not[/b] suitable for discussion on this board.) You'll also find that the violence is paired with an extreme fascination with occultism as the series progresses - it's revealed over the course of the series that Cain was intentionally named by his father for various hidden reasons that Cain is trying to unwind.
Toto, I don't think we're in Oz anymore...

I'm a woman - when I'm lost, I ask for directions.

Genjyo Sanzo: Banishing Stupidity, One Idiot at a Time
Lady Macbeth

Postby Ashley » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:21 pm

Full Moon is the only series I'm currently following from the SB line, but I was already in love with it before it was licensed for what should be obvious reasons given my reputation here XD I *thought* that I had reviewed it for the manga database, but I forgot...anyway, it's probably my all-time favorite series and I whole-heartedly recommend you continue with it.

The only other one I know anything about is Socrates in Love--I've heard if you've seen A Walk To Remember, you pretty much know the storyline.
Ashley

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:24 pm

Alright, thanks for the help and summaries^^ As for the Godchild spoiler... wow that didn't sound... too appealing at all^^
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:30 pm

As everyone else suggested, Full Moon Wo Sagashite is amazing, but since I've read a couple that the others haven't, I give you what details I can.

Ultra Maniac-- this story is so sugary sweet and cute. It's not the more profound story in the world, but it's pretty squeaky clean (It's rated all.) I'm reading it as it's released and enjoying it immensely.

Meru Puri-- I'm torn about this one. Personally, I like it alot, but I think there's some issues which could bother someone. First, the two main characters-- I've forgotten their names :sweat:--are a teenage girl who dreams of a simple and unpretentious romance and ten year old prince from magical land. When the prince meets her, he falls in love with her. At first, she think this crush is cute, but things get complicated when she discovers that, because of an enchantment her little friend's brother has cast on him, when he's put into the dark, he ages rapidly. This happens repeated, and the story progresses as a bit of an awkward romance. It might bother some people that while Arim (THAT WAS HIS NAME!) may look 18, he's still a little boy inside. Being a big fan of Full Moon and realizing that Arim is the one that's inniciating the relationship, I wasn't particularly horrified by it, but I understand that it is kind of awkward. Additionally, there are quite a few situations when Arim, because of his rapid change in size, ends up without clothes on. At one point, both Arim and the main female character end up in a closet toget, and Arim is wrapped in only a bath towel. However, that's really all I can tell you since my spending money sort of pittered out before I could buy past volume two. I hope that helps!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby MyrrhLynn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:29 am

Lady Macbeth wrote: IAbsolute Boyfriend by Yuu Watase (Yes, I saw your comments on it, so you may skip to the next title if you prefer. Absolute Boyfriend remains the top of my favorites in the serialized manga. You pretty much have it pinned for the questionable content - nudity, some language, adult situations, etc.)

Yup nudity, language, some adult situations. And the adult situations become more... prevelent as the series goes on (and finally ends).

Ouran High School Host Club by Bisco Hatori - I would die without my Host Club. ^_^]all[/b] the characters - even the ones who are meant to be antagonists have their own sort of charm. I loved Nekozawa, the president of the Black Magic Club, even before his secret was revealed, and I only loved him more afterward. Each of the Host Club members has their own unique charm, including Haruhi, and the girls who play minor roles in the series give endearing glimpses into what the "normal" people of Ouran Academy are like. This series IS NOT for everyone. Nekozawa and his Black Magic Club aside (because the Host Club members make it clear that he's creepy and not normal), the relationships between the Host Club members sometimes edge beyond just facade and the whole concept of the Host Club could be offensive to some people (and is magnified if the reader understands the connotation of "Host Club" in Japan). Haruhi and her dad's dress and occupations/hobbies would bother a lot of people (her dad works at a tranny bar and lives the lifestyle, including making several references to being Haruhi's mother instead of her father, and Haruhi doesn't mind dressing as a boy or living a boy's lifestyle). Beyond that are also social/class relationships that might make some people uncomfortable. (Class in Japan is, if possible, even more exacerbated than here in the United States, with the wealthy and noble families being in an entirely different world than the poor and disreputable families.) If those barriers don't bother you, the romantic comedy in this story does a great job of keeping the reader on the edge through the entire story and wondering what each new turn of events is going to bring.

Oh yay! I am sooooo happy that someone else besides myself and my sister love this series. This is currently my top manga series, and is the only manga series I've found that I like more then Fruits Basket! I think you covered pretty much everything. There is quite a bit of implied homosexualness (is that even a word?) in this series. Most noteably between two members of the host club, but their real reason for doing it is to be dramatic and get the club's customers excited. Then there are some girls from a rival school but... I'm not sure if they are faking it like the boys from the club are.

If you are willing to deal with the issues this is a great series. Even the things mentioned above don't happen in abundent quantities. I also have found that I love almost all the characters, even the annoying ones, and the ones you are suppose to dislike. The drawing style for this series is absolutely fantastic as well, I'd suggest taking a look at the series just to see how beautiful she has drawn it!

Ultra Maniac by Wataru Yoshizumi - The preview chapter for this one was so funny, but the art wasn't all that gripping. I'm thinking that this may eventually be a series I pick up, but it can wait a bit. It's about a witch, so needless to say witchcraft plays a predominant role - though from what I've seen it's more of the "Harry Potter" type magic/witchcraft than anything else - meant to be fun and entertaining for kids rather than portray actual witchcraft.

I saw the anime for this one back before it was licensed. It gets a little old in the way most magic girl series do. But not that much objectionable content besides the magic stuff. In one episode in the anime they turn their pets into humans (not sure if that's in the manga) which leads to some ... interesting situations but that's about it.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:11 pm

Absolute Boyfriend was just kinda stupid, but Watase is a very good story teller.

I fell in love with Kaze Hikaru. The artwork looks very precise and finshed, unlike Ai Yazawa's...

In one episode in the anime they turn their pets into humans (not sure if that's in the manga) which leads to some ... interesting situations but that's about it.

It's in the manga. Read it in a scan of volume 2.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kisa » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:37 am

I'm following Aishiteruze Baby, Full Moon WS, Merupuri, Absolute Boyfriend (for differences in translation), Kamikaze Girls.....
I think its great there is a mag for the shoujo manga genre
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Doe Johnson » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:46 am

Wow...it's weird that this is the first thing I saw after getting on again...my school librarian was sent a copy of Soujo Beat and sent it home with my mom (teacher) because she knows I like manga. She JUST gave it to me...like...I have it a foot away from me... So thanks for the information regarding the featured stories!
The #1 Fan of mastersquirrel's Voice!

In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. - Douglas Adams
I smell cinnamon roll-y!!

You fight like a dairy farmer!
The Giver of Quality Hugs
I felt a great bump in the Thread, as if millions of posts suddenly bumped in terror and were suddenly silenced.

No - My birthday isn't really on the Ides of March, but that is the fake date I use everywhere on the Internet.
Adopted: ishy

the cc is special ground, cc's provide protection to all who seek shelter there, no violence can be done in a cower corner - it is known
Doe Johnson

Postby Kisa » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:31 am

LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!! What is the cost anyways? I never looked in the emails, lol...
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Bianca » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:18 pm

From the POV of a manga reader, I believe that you should read the RAW or scanlated versions of these manga...VIZ did a very bad job translating and editing all of them

As for the series(using the ORIGINAL Titles)

Aka Chan To Boku-Kinda boring. I never really was into stories about sibling bonding, and Minorou is...GAH

Full Moon Wo Sagashite-GREATEST series ever

Zettai Kareshi-Very cute, Yuu Watase at her best really.

Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden-Better the Fushigi Yuugi, and you can read it without having read Fushigi Yuugi. Anyone can enjoy it!

Beniiro Hero- I actually adore this series..AMAZING sports manga!

Nana- A great series for girls who love the realistic side to life. Slightly dirty, and slight Shoujo Ai, but that makes it better. Ai Yazawa has a talent for showing things as they are

GodChild- DO NOT read this. Why? Its actually a sequel series to Count Cain...its volume 8 in the series, and they SKIPPED Count Cain...
However, I love Kaori Yuki. If you like dark, complex stories, you'll enjoy this

Ultra Maniac- Cute series about witches and magic..you know the stuff

Kaze Hikaru-Meh..I would only reccomend it to fans of samurai stuff...

MeruPeri- CUTE CUTE CUTE!!If you aare anti Magic, I would not reccomend, but to all who love a great romance....

Host Club- Funny, but bland
Bianca

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews