Manga for a 13 year old girl

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Postby Myoti » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:23 pm

*inserts "One Piece" plug*

Well, if my sister liked it, your daughter may. It's bascially a funny, unique epic with great characters, action, and story.

It's a bit violent, though it's all blood and no real gore. In fact, few people actually die, and those that do aren't shown dying.

I believe the manga removed most of the dirty language the original had, but I haven't really checked the English version myself.

Oh, and if she does happen to get into this, the green-haired swordsman's name is Zoro, not Zolo as the English version tries to lead you into believing. :p
Myoti

Postby Tommy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:59 pm

No, it`s Zolo! BWAHAHAHAHAH!

No, Myoti, is right, its is Zoro. Just make sure she does not watch the cartoon network version of the anime, so thank God this is manga recommendations.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Kawaiikneko » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:56 pm

How much violence can your daughter handle? Someone said Rurouni Kenshin but it was one of my first mangas (waaaay back when it was still being scanlated so I must have been about 13) and it never bothered me.

Spiral is an EXCELLENT series. I've read the first two volumes of its manga after being disappointed by the anime. I really hope it gets to America sometime because I couldn't find anymore after that second volume. So just keep your head up for that, because its a great manga and I bet your daughter would like it as much as the anime. It goes more in depth, and I bet it completes the story, b/c the anime was based off of. The reason it has no (real) ending is because the manga is/wasnt finished. I'll have to look up more about it.

I have to second (like everyone else) Yotsuba&. Even if your daughter likes mystery stuff, it is the most hilarious manga I've read.

Though you may want to sit down at Barnes and Nobles and read it first yourself, when it comes to mystery/suspence/deep manga, the best I can think of it Death Note. I wrote a review for it in the Manga Review section and you can check that out. I'm not sure if it'd be good for your 13 y/o but it is an amazing manga of high-stakes planning on two sides. I'd really suggest looking into it.

Magic Knight Rayearth was also my first manga. Definitely get that for her. It has the most amazing ending as long as it isn't ruined.

Oh and Angelic Layer is really good too. Clean and cute.
Kawaiikneko

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:18 pm

I don't really like Death Note. I read up to about chapter 60 but stopped there because I really disliked the way Kaito's (Light) personality was changing. First you start off rooting for him but in the end, you can only hope he doesn't kill any more innocent people. He also takes advantage of other people just for the sake of making his "Perfect World".
jon_jinn

Postby Kawaiikneko » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:57 pm

I don't imagine Light was ever the "good guy" / protagonist of Death Note >.> Just because at the beginning the story centers on him doesn't mean you're meant to root for him.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Kisa » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:57 am

Angelic Layer is also a must. Very cute and good story.... did I also mention Cardcaptor Sakura? yes that too ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Yumie » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:16 am

Kawaiikneko wrote:I don't imagine Light was ever the "good guy" / protagonist of Death Note >.> Just because at the beginning the story centers on him doesn't mean you're meant to root for him.

Agreed-- I happen to be rooting for L! :D

I don't think I would suggest it for a 13 year old though, mainly because it IS kind of confusing to know who to root for, since the story centers around Light; it might make it seem like mass murder for a good cause is OK. Just my two yen though, mostly I suppose it all depends on how mature she is.
Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
Thou my soul’s Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
Yumie

Postby Icarus » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:20 am

Well, Em has read (and loves)

Card Captor Sakura (I may give her the set depending on how volume 11 of DNAngel goes)
DNAngel (No nudity, mild swearing, and a Shakespearian play) She may not like this one, as it's a bit more focused on relationships.
and Fruits Basket.

Aria is rather sweet. It's about a young girl on Mars after it is terra-formed and her adventures in Neo-Venizia. No romance to speak of.

And to reiterate what a few others have said, they must read Yotsuba&.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:25 pm

Another that occurred to me just recently: Crest of the Stars (a.k.a. Seikai Trilogy)
SO FAR I have only found the first of the three volumes; I am currently searching for the second, so I may have to revise this, later:

This is a Manga with a sort of "Star Wars" flare to it, but the neat thing is, the female "main" character (really, she is a "supporting" character, but so much of the story that she is almost the main character instead) is a princess who is a Naval officer, rather than a helpless damsel-in-distress. And she is not unusual for this (in many Manga, there is just one female in an otherwise "male" role, out of some sort of inclusiveness motive, but here, she is just another female officer in a role that seems to be about evenly split between genders.)

Morally, there is very little sketchy about this book. There are some fan-servicey moments here and there (the skimpy maid dresses which the staff of one of the villains are forced to wear, and a bathtub scene of the above mentioned princess. Note that she doesn't seem to posses any details in the areas of concern, though, so this is really no worse than the "nudity" in a Sailor Moon transformation scene.) The CAA review of this title (under "Seikai Trilogy") gives a greater than zero score on "Nudity" and "Sexual Content" specifically for these items. I agree, but think they may have assigned the number a little high on "Nudity".

Also, I note under "Bad Religion", they speak of the protagonists being "Pro-Cloning" , which is inaccurate. It isn't cloning that is being described, but it is still morally questionable, so I'm not arguing the score CAA gave.
They apparently always have children by In Vitro fertilization, and apparently bring them to term in the lab. And apparently only one of the parents is involved in rearing the child from there (no marriages). There are many obvious problem issues here, but "Cloning" is not one of them. But it needs to be noted, this is not a focus of the story, just something that is used at one point to demostrate the cultural differences of the two major characters (the other character, an outsider, apparently comes out of a normal nuclear family based society.)
Its unfortunate that this subject ended up so much of my post, though, because I think I just spent more time on it than the manga does.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:51 pm

[quote="EricTheFred"] SO FAR I have only found the first of the three volumes]
Just finished reading the second Seikai Trilogy book, "Banner of the Stars" and we're still good for young teen reading material with strong female characters. I would like to add, three-dimensional strong female characters. I continue to recommend this series, especially for young girls who are looking for something more than high-school love affair books (even though I think this is a Shounen title in Japan.)

I do feel like the artist was having his arm twisted to throw in fan-service, for two reasons:

1) Comic Book artists (at least English-speaking ones) call posed, unnatural shots of main characters (the sort of thing you see young mangaka drawing and posting here) "Pin-ups". It doesn't indicate in any way the content of the shot, it just means a posed picture with no story line. However, a couple of the "pin-ups" in Banner of the Stars would qualify by the definition most people use for that word. One of them involves a fully nude female. Although it is a high angle shot of her, stomach-down on the floor, smiling up at the reader, it is still inappropriate, and out of context. And it felt very out-of-place, as if the mangaka had thrown it in after being ordered to, rather than feeling a need for it.

2) In pretty much the same way, there are a couple places where very buxom female officers are clothed slightly differently than other officers. The uniform generally seems for most to fit about like most "Star Trek" uniforms. But, inexplicably, for two larger-busted female officers, the tops seem to have been applied with a spray can. Again, it felt considerably out of place against the rest of the book, and added nothing but fan-service.

Neither of these items is severe enough to throw a red card, but they are things parents might want to look at first before the kid gets 'em.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Previous

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews