Second Volume Syndrome

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Second Volume Syndrome

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:47 pm

Does anyone else suffer from Second Volume Syndrome? I want Full Moon volume two. I'm told it's out of print already. I want Death Note volume two. I'm told that it, too, is out of print. Why are manga going "out of print" right after they come out?! Specifically, the second volume? :bang:
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ingemar » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:48 pm

That's odd. I saw some vol. 2 (and even 1!) copies of FMwS at the bookstore last week. Maybe it just got out of print.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:49 pm

Manga that popular ought to still be in print. Even Rurouni Kenshin 1 is still availiable.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby CreatureArt » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:53 pm

My sister got me a book for Christmas. International comic, rather than manga, though. It was the 2nd one.. because the FIRST one was currently out of print. (@. @ )??
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby Ashley » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:14 pm

What a minute, FMS vol 2 went out of print?! What the heckaroonie....
Ashley

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:16 pm

Neither Full Moon or Death Note should have any volumes out-of-print. That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

If you can't find them in a store, you can quite simply order them off of http://store.viz.com/product/GNVVV0091/s.VzSsGl0f and http://store.viz.com/product/GNFMS0001/s.VzSsGl0f. Note that it says "In Stock." It wouldn't say that if they are OOP.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:25 pm

Well, I'm winning the battle. I found Death Note #2 at Hastings tonight. Also, it was 30% off. Hah! I'll beat this thing yet. XD
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Ingemar » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:44 pm

Ashley wrote:What the heckaroonie....
Off topic, you SO totally stole that from me.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:19 am

You can beat the system, ShiHi, by having the book store order the volume you want. Even the second volume gnomb can't pilpher what you want if you order it.

*Osaka has figured out how to beat the system.*

*Osaka must be done away with.*
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby MasterDias » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:57 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:*Osaka must be done away with.*

*does away with Osaka and buries her under a pile of manga* R.I.P.

Ahem... anyway, of the boostores that I go to, I've noticed that Waldens Books and Borders generally have a better and more consistant supply of manga than Barnes & Nobles.
Guess which one is by my house. Yeah, B & N.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:57 pm

And if you ever truly do encounter an out-of-print title, there's always Ebay and second-hand dealers. The previously printed books don't actually evaporate.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:37 pm

Out of print? No way, I just can't see that this early in the game. I typically get "volume 1" syndrome, where everything is there but the first volume. Must be a local mutation.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Kawaiikneko » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:55 pm

I've noticed that Walden's usually has more manga than B&N. I have them both really clost to my house, but Waldens is in the mall and B&N is right across the street. We usually end up going to B&N more because we have the membership card there. Hey, smaller selection, but cheaper for me, so who's complaining XD

Most often my bookstores are out of the first volume though =__=;
Kawaiikneko

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:45 am

Actually, I think I know what the OP means. I usually hit the "hole" in the middle of a longer series, though. They will have the first couple volumes, and then the recently released volumes. "Ranma" is an extreme example, but I've noticed it in several series.
It's probably a function of the size of the bookstore. Reasonably, a smaller store would begin doing this at an earlier point in the game.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:46 pm

Our local Barnes and Noble has quite a big selection of manga (two 7-feet-tall shelves full of it). But while they have a lot of series, they don't always have all the volumes in one series.

The local comic shop that I've been frequenting since I was 17 has a huge selection of titles, but lately they haven't been keeping them in stock very well. Rob, the manager, is the one that told me those volumes were "out of print". I haven't bought a manga in there in months because they just haven't had what I've wanted.

Although in his defense, nobody else around here has had Full Moon #2 either.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby EricTheFred » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:31 am

ShiroiHikari wrote:Our local Barnes and Noble has quite a big selection of manga (two 7-feet-tall shelves full of it). But while they have a lot of series, they don't always have all the volumes in one series.

Well, that would put them at about half the capacity of either the B&N or the Borders that I frequent, so I'm going to call that confirmation of the theory.

If you have a Borders in the area, look them up. The same size of story seems to invariably have a larger selection of Graphic Novels at Borders than at B&N (My basis for that comparison are the two I normal go to, in North Dallas, two others out in the suburbs that I occasionally see, and the two in my Dad's town.) Also, Borders seems to be more likely to carry the American titles that I'm also a fan of.

EricTheFred

Postby Kisa » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:37 am

Bury Osaka under manga and she would enjoy it too much! LOL
I am sure that FMWS isnt out of print yet... its brand new! I've seen it online and in the stores...
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Kaligraphic » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:04 am

Mangafanatic wrote:*Osaka must be done away with.*

Can do.

*launches into an off-key rendition of the song "Away with Osaka"*

I've just done "Away with Osaka", Thank you, thank you, thank you.

*bows*
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews