Naruto and Mar: What ages are these manga appropriate for?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Naruto and Mar: What ages are these manga appropriate for?

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:48 pm

Forgive the dangling preposition.

My 13 year old brother is interested in reading both Mar and Naruto, and, being the Shounen illiterate individual that I am, I'm not really certain if it's appropriate or not. My big concern is sex and nudity. I'd prefer that it wasn't rittled with language and violence, but he's seen the Matrix, so, really, I get the feeling there wouldn't be anything in Naruto that he wouldn't have had to deal with in the Matrix.

What content issues do you guys think I should consider before allowing him to read Naruto? Any advice you can give me, I'd appreciate! *slinks away, ashamed of her lack of shounen knowledge*
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby MasterDias » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:31 pm

Naruto -

Nudity:
-Naruto "invents" a gag jutsu that allows him to transform into a naked female. It is mostly covered by some skimpy smoke. The number of times he uses this in the series can be counted on one hand.
-Later in the series, there are a couple of bathhouse scenes that briefly(like 1 or 2 panals) show mild nudity of random females. As the American release that contains this is still aways off, it remains to be seen whether Viz will cover this up more but they probably will.

Violence: - Lots of blood, occasional mild gore.

Language: - Mild in the Viz release.

Mar -
Nudity: Brief female butt shot in one of the volumes(3 or 4, I think). That is all up to the point that I've read.

Violence: Blood, mostly mild gore so far, a few people lose heads.

Language: Haven't read Viz's but I'm assuming it's mild.

Content is generally toned down from his past title, Flame of Recca.

-No sex in either series.

I think that both of these series are fine for a 13 year old, their target audiance, but it's your call.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Naruto » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:22 am

Naruto is geared more toward older teens and i dont really like mar so yeah
Yup
Naruto

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews