Evangel

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Evangel

Postby Ashley » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:23 am

Once again, KisaTohru has graced us with a magnificient review. Thanks KT!

http://christiananime.net/manga_reviews.php?display=220
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:52 pm

I am beginning to doubt if twinsey is really even human. . . ;)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Yumie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:51 pm

Aw, this looks cute!

And I'll have you know, Kisa-chan, that I went out and bought "The One I Love" thanks to your review ;). I'm only half-way through it right now because I just bought it today, but so far it's very sweet!
Yumie

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:13 pm

Will read ASAP.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Knives » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:19 am

Holy Crap, that girl is really reading a lot of manga, she has written a ton of reviews!
Knives

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:31 am

Knives wrote:Holy Crap, that girl is really reading a lot of manga, she has written a ton of reviews!

Yes! Isn't she wonderful? Runs in the [manga] family. *nod nod*
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:11 pm

I hate to perhaps be the bearer of what could be controversy, but considering the Greek for "gospel" is "evangelion", is it not a horribly blasphemous perversion that angels called "evangels" have nothing to do with aiding the evangelion of Christ and the Kingdom of God, but instead has demon elements (as if angels commiting violence on the command of YHWH as the Bible says at times didn't have enough strength and power), as it is written
Galatians 1:9 ESV[/QUOTE wrote: As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.
I think it perhaps deserves a few more "bad religion" points for making slight of the Gospel we preach, which our Lord Christ died excruciatingly (indeed, the work excruciating derives linguistically from crucifiction) and in uttermost shame to accomplish alongside His resurrection from the dead, and for which the blood of martyrs, in Japan and in lands across the world died for in agony. I will admit though that I know of no mangaka since Tezuka (who operated under contract from the Vatican anyway) has given the slightest care for even a mildly acurate portrayal of our religion which they draw source material from, as witnessed by Mr. Meiji era "I am the Son of God" in Kenshin and other such - I find this implicit disrespect highly distressing.
GhostontheNet

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:52 am

(who operated under contract from the Vatican anyway)

That's encouraging...

That aside, I think I see your point. But I don't think the goal of the creator here is utter disrespect. To some people Christianity is just another religion (I'm not excusinh them at all, mind you). In the case of Roman Catholocism it makes for good story telling because of all the rituals, praying to saints, etc...

Plus, I don't think that the purpose of the manga here is to preach some false fantasy idea.

Just my two cents worth...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Ashley » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:50 am

I appreciate your input, Ghost. That's why we have these forums--I can't possibly catch any and everything (especially in titles I have not personally read) so I need to know where you think I'm lacking. I will look into making your point a little more clear in the review.
Ashley

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:09 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:That's encouraging...

That aside, I think I see your point. But I don't think the goal of the creator here is utter disrespect. To some people Christianity is just another religion (I'm not excusinh them at all, mind you). In the case of Roman Catholocism it makes for good story telling because of all the rituals, praying to saints, etc...

Plus, I don't think that the purpose of the manga here is to preach some false fantasy idea.

Just my two cents worth...
I refered naturally to the Biblical titles Tezuka did on contract from the Vatican that naturally aired first in Italy. Lack of effort to achieve honesty and truth is itself a disrespect of us, that we are not worth the respect of a little mention and honesty, but simply for elements of our faith to be juiced and twisted like pulp. This is particularly true since from my reading the Japanese frequently have the usually admirable characteristic of obtaining large amounts of information to avoid the shame of error - but here its not even shameful to slander us without aim, evidence, or truth. Rituals or no rituals, a title that involves the Roman Catholic or even the Universal Catholic Church, or for that matter any religion, they must play fair with that religion. To be sure I doubt this title was intended to preach anything, but when fiction or fantasy interact with the real world, I believe it is imperitave to be true to that real world on essentials.

Ashley: Yes, due to my generally only actually posting if I think I have something important to say, and my involvement being a prelude to locked threads with me neither getting in trouble or rebuked (though attacked once with a brutal haiku), and ocassionally getting complimented in the process, I have become leary at times to state that I do not intend to cause a lot of racket.
GhostontheNet

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:15 pm

Yes, I see. Hmm...
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Kisa » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:15 am

[quote="Mangafanatic"]I am beginning to doubt if twinsey is really even human. . . ]

LOL well if we are 'related' what does that make you? ;)

Thanks for the compliments Yumie ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews