Cross Manga

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Cross Manga

Postby blue whisper » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:11 pm

Has anyone heard of a manga called Cross?

From the description given by Tokyopop (http://www.tokyopop.com/dbpage.php?propertycode=CRS&categorycode=BMG&page=introduction) it looks like it can either be a very controversial series, or a Christian series.

If you have heard of it, is it "safe" to read? Thank you.

.:: Romans 8:28 ::.
ImageImage
blue whisper

Postby Lochaber Axe » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:19 pm

Sadly, this is nothing more than another example how the Japanese treat Christianity as just another mythological religion. A majority of Japanese are secular so religion in general is just a literary device for the mangaka.
Lochaber Axe

Postby ShiroiHikari » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:53 pm

can you give us some details on how it's wrong and stuff? I'm thinking about going to the store to read it pretty soon (yes I do that occasionally...).
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby LadyKokoro » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:45 pm

It looked interesting ... I am interested too ... what could it be?

I have posted what I have seen on another thread entitled "Cross" ... I didn't see this one. It looks rather good, actually. I may buy it. A bit of a warning ... their is brief, but non-explicit nudity. It looks bad, but it was completely innocent. She was half dressed and I think he accidentally walked in. I didn't read the whole thing. I think that this guy did his research though ... btw it is a girl's manga - at the same time it is gothic.
LadyKokoro

Location: half in reality and the rest of me in my own little world ...

Postby LadyKokoro » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:03 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:can you give us some details on how it's wrong and stuff? I'm thinking about going to the store to read it pretty soon (yes I do that occasionally...).

Violence, mild nudity, and graphic spiritual warfare ... I guess. It is rated T so it wouldn't be any worse than PG13

It might have a bunch of bad religion - ie, stuff that is non-scriptural and so forth.
LadyKokoro

Location: half in reality and the rest of me in my own little world ...

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:53 am

I read through this (yes, the title caught my attention) and wasn't very impressed. The story was passable but hardly impressive, the art was very good but not awe-inspiring and the action was poor.

In terms of theology, I was similarly unimpressed. The manga-ka was willing to do a lot of research, but still doesn't seem to understand even the basics of Christianity. If you like obscure points of theology, you might enjoy this, but if you're looking for something with solid morals, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
uc pseudonym

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:52 pm

It's says the characters a Catholic priest, so... It is just a silly comic book anyway.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby CobaltAngel » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:08 pm

From what I've read about it, and what has been said here, it really sounds like its as Loch said, Christianity being used as we in America use greek mythology. Not really trying to preach good morals or bring people to Christ, just make a new kind of exciting manga using Christianty as the krutch. If that is the case, I recommend you read with the same caution you read any other T manga, because the author can do anything with the story or the religon they want. Don't let your guard down because it is Catholic-based.
[align=right][align=center]
Invisible Children || Justice For Children

[/align]

[/align]
CobaltAngel

Postby Ky Kiske » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:22 pm

yeah I read the first two. I didn't know what to make up it. It wasn't anti-Christian I don't think and it showed that the powers of God were more than satan's but it almost seems like the characters think Cross is doing it instead of God.
The drawing is very good however.
The funniest part was at the end the guy is trying to explain the Christian symbolism and it's obvious that he's preaching to the choir some of the stuff is really no brainer.
Justice divine has weighed: the doom is clear. All hope renounce, ye lost, who enter here.
--Dante Alighieri The Inferno
Ky Kiske

Postby That Dude » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:32 pm

As said before as is with most all the other anime and manga out there it treats christianity as a myth or plot toy.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews