Suikoden III

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Suikoden III

Postby Madeline » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:19 pm

I read the first volume of this manga at a bookstore...it seemed fine to me.
Has anyone read it, and is it any good? *is clueless*
Madeline

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:23 pm

Can't really give you any advice. I couldn't make myself read it all. It's just not really my style.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby ShiroiHikari » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:35 pm

I had my eye on that manga...I'd like to have a look at it sometime. Wasn't Suikoden a video game?
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Omega Amen » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:18 pm

ShiroiHikari wrote:Wasn't Suikoden a video game?
Yes, the Suikoden series is originally a console RPG series. Actually, I am currently playing Suikoden III on the PS2. (Suikoden IV is also going to be released sometime in the near future.) If the manga is as good as the game, then the manga should be worth reading.

One other side note: the Suikoden series is loosely based on the classic Chinese novel Shui Hu Zhan, which is usually translated as either The Water Margin or Outlaws of the Marsh. For example, the 108 stars reference comes from the novel. However, the plots between the Suikoden series and Shui Hu Zhan are very different.

I cannot comment on the manga since I have never read it. So, I will withdraw from the discussion now.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Lynx » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:37 pm

is this an anime too?
In my heart's sequestered chambers
Lie truths stripped of poet's gloss...
Lynx

Postby Madeline » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:12 pm

is this an anime too?

I don't think so...
I did know that it was a video game but I've never played it before.
The manga did seem pretty cool, I was just looking for advice concerning the content...some mangas look good at first and tend to slant downward after they've got you hooked. That really bugs me...
Well, I guess no one's read it, so I'll just leave it at that.
Madeline

Postby kaji » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:03 am

Bump

Vol 3 of the Suikoden III manga is slated for release September 14th.

I have read volume one of the manga, and played the video game repeatedly (which I highly recommend).
I enjoyed the manga. It included a decent amount of extra content that you don’t really learn about in the video game. Such as how Hugo and Fubar met, or Hugo and St. Joe.

As far as the content goes; so far so good.

There is not really any sexual content, save the antics of Ace who is known to be rather lecherous at times. But his comments are meant to be comical and are typically beaten out of him by the rest of the crew.

Hmm, language wasn’t really that bad. Maybe a ‘darn’, here or there.

Violence. Well, this is a sort of war novel. There is violence, but none that is really senseless. However, the character Yuber has not been introduced yet. Yuber could be equated to a combination of the Grimm Reaper and Santa Clause. Just a Jolly old Killing machine. I was actually surprised that Persimaga did not make an appearance in the Game, but that is another story. (Persimaga was historically always out to get Yuber, his name litteraly means ‘the one who chases after death’)

Religious content. Well, the world of Suikoden is not necessarily governed by gods, but rather Runes. Theses runes supposedly transcend time, and can not really be destroyed (less the world would end). They grant their bearers near immortality, but carry a high price (no spoilers, sorry). Well, so as far as religious connotations go, the Knights of Zexen have a war goddess (don’t know much about her), while Holy Harmonia puts a greater emphasis on the Runes them selves, and the Grasslanders tend to refer to sprits of either Earth, Wind, Water, ect (all of which there are Runes to represent). Oh, it is also through the use of Runes that people can use magic or magic like abilities.
Though all these things are part of the story, you never really feel they are in an overwhelming quantity. However, there is one sacrificial ‘ritual’ that is performed later on in the story. Like I said, I do not think it is a defining moment for the series, but should be noted non-the-less.

Overall, I am excited to see this manga play its self out (and even more excited for Suikoden IV’s release to the PS2!).

-kaji
Depend on it. God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply. He is too wise a God to frustrate His purposes for lack of funds, and He can just as easily supply them ahead of time as afterwards, and He much prefers doing so.
- J. Hudson Taylor
I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
kaji

Postby Ky Kiske » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:32 pm

yeah I've read it and I really like it.
The guy has really captured the game.
And it was probably a hard thing to do given that there is 108 characters.
alot of really good landscape pictures.
Justice divine has weighed: the doom is clear. All hope renounce, ye lost, who enter here.
--Dante Alighieri The Inferno
Ky Kiske

Postby Mave » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:24 pm

I've read Book 1 & 2 and didn't notice anything offensive. It's a title I'll recommend simply because I haven't seen any nudity, severe swearing and the violence is pretty mild (IMO). But Kaji did a pretty good writeup so it's best to read what he wrote. I like the art too and it's a nice change to have a cool female protagonist.
Mave

Postby Doubleshadow » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:00 am

Excellent. I saw this at the bookstore but wanted to get some reviews before I bought. Sweet timing.
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Knives » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:35 am

Madeline wrote:I read the first volume of this manga at a bookstore...it seemed fine to me.
Has anyone read it, and is it any good? *is clueless*

All iknow is that there is a video game of the same name. It looks cool. I like the art.
Knives

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews