Megatokyo

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Megatokyo

Postby Steeltemplar » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:15 pm

I was kind of curious - are there any other Megatokyo fans here?

Yes, Megatokyo is written by an American, but it really is by any other definition a manga.

Don't know what I mean? http://www.megatokyo.com/

Anyway, anyone else here holding their breath over the current situation between Erika and Largo?
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:27 am

Not really, but I do read and I am a fan of the series. In all honesty I don't care about Largo or Piro's conditions; my favorite character would be Junpei.
uc pseudonym

Postby Cap'n Nick » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:56 am

Megatokyo is the only comic I still read on a regular basis. My other favorites either stopped or have irregular update schedules (or went nutty political after the whole red state/blue state debacle). I really like the direction Megatokyo has taken the last year or so - you still have the game humor and the anime in-jokes but it's much more plot and character driven, which is what I really appreciate.

Largo is my favorite webcomic character ever. Is he an idiot, or is he the only man on the planet that knows what's going on? I think the answer is "Yes."
Cap'n Nick

Postby VioletEyedCat » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:07 pm

Ahhh... The wisdom that is Megatokyo. I could go on forever. I love Ping for her frank manipulativeness (word? I think not!) I love Junpei for the wisdom and insight he brings to the whole crazy crew. Boo for his loving support of Largo. Largo for his strength and heart- he made me cry with that one face he made after walking out on Erika! Piro cares so much, yet knows so little. They all are so wonderful... :sniffle: I love them all...

Fred-san is sooo great. He has hit his stride with the dialogue- his words are just so beautiful. He loves to experiment with different picture angles and layouts- keeping the strips (can we still call them that?) fun to look at. I'm so happy just thinking about it- la la la. :jump:

For you poor fools who have not read the entire Megatokyo series- follow my sig link, and change the course of your life forever. YAY!!!!!! :jump:

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby John316 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:20 pm

I like how you never see anyone hit on Kimiko.
Romans 12:9 "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."
John316

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:06 pm

It's pretty cool, but I haven't been following it a lot. 8/10.
Joshua Christopher

Postby Spirit_Wolf8356 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:13 pm

Whee! I love Megatokyo! ^_^ Piro's my favorite. I can't wait to find out what's going on with all of the couples....oh the drama :lol:

The choice has been made. There's no looking back. I won't let up, back up, give up, or shut up. My focus clear. My path is straight. My God, reliable. I'm a disciple of Christ.

Gods plan is like the sun. its too big and bright to look at directly, and sometimes the rain clouds cover it, but sometimes the plan dapples through the clouds and we can see beautiful glimpses of what he has in store for us.
Spirit_Wolf8356

Postby Kaori » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:25 pm

Although I do read Megatokyo, I can't say that I particularly like the direction the story has been taking recently with its focus on couples. However, it is still generally a good comic; there is often an enjoyable subtlety to it.

Erika is probably my favorite character, although Junpei is also very cool.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Sparrowhawk » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:49 pm

Hey, i have read every megatokyo episode, and actually, it's how i got interested in CAA. I think its pretty good, but there is one more difference than the American origin: Megatokyo is a daily webcomic, its not written a book at a time (if that makes a difference, maybe it doesn't). As far as how its been lately, i think its ok. The best ones, in my opinion were around the days of "great teacher largo" (seraphim and boo were making more appearences, piro and kimiko's odd events being seen by each other the wrong way). I personally want to see more of seraphim and asmodeus, although piro actually is my favorite character. Next is probably ping and miho (both sometimes creep me out, but when piro finds out who miho was online its so funny). All right, i better shut up. I have talked too much already. Its just talking about the thing that introduced me to the world of manga is something i really enjoy talking about. All right, i'll be quiet now. Better tie my hands behind my back or i'll keep typing. Audios *ties up hands*
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby Hephzibah » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:19 pm

:grin: I love Megatokyo! :grin: My fav characters are Boo, Asmodeus (i know he's evil... hes just so funny :P ) And Largo ;)
Hephzibah

Postby Arnobius » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:15 am

I still follow it daily, but really I think the strip has been foundering since Fred and Rodney split after chapter 3. The street battle of Ping vs Gamemu was great and the bit of Dom and Ed was great too. But it seems like Fred turned his back on what made it so great (A Tokyo based on the Western view provided by anime and old movies) to make it more like a dating sim...
Arnobius

Postby yoshiama12 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:38 pm

yoshiama12

Postby yoshiama12 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:40 pm

Yeah i still like the manga but it has turned somewhat away from the original format to that of a love story. I think that the art is really good for someone that is an Archatect and all. (i spelled it wrong oh well)
yoshiama12

Postby yoshiama12 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:43 pm

yeah its kinda of gone off topic but its still kool and it
yoshiama12

Postby yoshiama12 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:43 pm

yeah its kinda of gone off topic but its still kool and it real good drawing guy who main job is an architect.
yoshiama12

Postby Tycho » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:27 am

Megatokyo is one of my favorite online webcomics. Makes me wish I had the talent to draw. :sweat:

To actually answer the question this post started with, Largo and Erica are at a relationship crossroads. Its kinda unclear what feelings they have for each other, since both do such a good job of throwing up barriers.

My theory is both are falling for each other but neither want to accept that.

Gee, I sound like someone from MT Story Discussion forum.... Something I vowed I would never become. :hits_self
"There are obviously many things which we do not understand, and may never be able to."
[Leela, Ship Operations AI, UESC Marathon]

"Its time to metaphorically make a deal with the devil. And when I say devil, I mean Robot Devil. And when I say metaphorically, I mean "Get your coat""

[Bender, Futurama]
Tycho

Postby VioletEyedCat » Sat Mar 19, 2005 7:51 pm

Tycho wrote:To actually answer the question this post started with, Largo and Erica are at a relationship crossroads. Its kinda unclear what feelings they have for each other, since both do such a good job of throwing up barriers.

My theory is both are falling for each other but neither want to accept that.

Gee, I sound like someone from MT Story Discussion forum.... Something I vowed I would never become. :hits_self

Yeah- those people are really scary! :lol: I've seen them fight over some of the craziest details! If you want a good laugh, read the threads on the individual strips that Piro posts.

But I do agree with you- Largo and Erica are seriously falling for each other, and I couldn't be happier. But Piro is being so annoying about Kimiko- just call her, you doof! I do have a grudge against indecisive people, though. Miho is SO my favorite- she sees all, she knows all... Beware the cuteness.

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby indyrocker » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:06 pm

well largo was more waisted than normal so he obivously cares for her but I have no clue how this ones going to turn out.
Indyrocker aka the user fomaly known as Agentsmith700

my remixes --> http://www.purevolume.com/irishangel
my Xanga--> http://www.xanga.com/indyrocker
A member of the Society of Hatted Members

adopted by Rachel
Adopted Banana-chan, heero yuy 95

There are no more heroes any more they all died in the night that the world fell into darknes; and good men are trampled down into the dirt never to be seen again. This is the story of this world of ours the story of the corupt and those that would try to save it from them but become corupt themselfs from their own selfish greed and want for what they do not have.
indyrocker

Postby Scribs » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:38 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:I still follow it daily, but really I think the strip has been foundering since Fred and Rodney split after chapter 3. The street battle of Ping vs Gamemu was great and the bit of Dom and Ed was great too. But it seems like Fred turned his back on what made it so great (A Tokyo based on the Western view provided by anime and old movies) to make it more like a dating sim...

Darn Right!

I really think that the comic has taken a turn for the worse since the split. It still is my favorite manga (if it can be qualified as such)
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Kite » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:27 am

Its good enough. After Rodney left though Fred did a complete 360 and changed it from goofy video game comic to moody manga. But who cares? Its still a good read and I still have plenty of video game comics to read...
Kite

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews