HyperRune?

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

HyperRune?

Postby Ashley » Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:45 pm

I was just in barnes and nobles tonight, and I managed to see a new manga called HyperRune by one of the members of CLAMP. I guess she's branching out to do her own thing now. My question is has anyone heard of this series? It sounded rather interesting, but I need to know where I can find out if there's anything objectionable.
Ashley

Postby Ashley » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:42 am

Ok, well, I went out on a limb and bought it without knowing ANYTHING about this series (which is quite rare for me...I usually like to be a little learn-ed about a series before I invest in it), so I thought I'd give you a review as of volume 1 for anyone else interested.

What's the lowest age this title is suitable for? 16+
Violence Level 4
- lots of mech battles, but from what I've seen no blood.
Language Level 1
- I think I may have heard one swear word, but if I did it wasn't anything fairly memorable nor was it a reoccuring issue
Sexual Content level 7
- where to start with this...Rune's grandfather makes her dress up in sexy, scantily clad outfits with bikini style waistlines. Nothing was ever graphically shown, but....well she dressed like a female in one of those fighting games. Also, there's this running gag about how she wakes up in the morning with some funky costume on and can't figure out how her grandfather got it on her while she was sleeping. Personally I was not thrilled at all about the joke and what the innuendo was, although in the end they did have a sort of "explanation" that had to do with particles materialzing and such. I think there was also a section where the student council president made some comment about her panties. :eyeroll:

Nudity 2
there's a page in the middle of the comic that has Rune nude and curled up into a fetal position--it's a transformation shot. It's not very detailed, but it's defiantely clear she's nude. I wasn't horribly offended, but I wouldn't let my little brother read it either.

Objectionable Religious Content 3
The whole premise of the manga is that there is a being called the "space queen" who rules the universe based on her will (Kinda like Cephiro's pillar for you MKR fans). Rune is supposedly this queen reincarnated. There's also a wizard, and some magical "holy circles" that are really like teleportals--they allow aliens from another planet to come to Earth.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this series. On the one hand, it's got it's cute moments. Chat, for example, is adorable, and it's a fairly good bishojo plot. It's kinda interesting to see mech/sci-fi from a definately bishojo perspective. However....it's definately got its pitfalls, and it's drawn in a sort of retro style I don't find all that attractive. I may or may not get the next volume, but I hope this was helpful to you.
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:53 am

Thanks for the info, Ahsley. That was very brave of you, buying it without any information. I've only done such things on a couple of instances-- it's just too nerve racking!
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:56 am

Well, I have a younger brother and sister in the house too, so I have to be careful of what little eyes might see. My sister, for example, loves fruits basket and full moon and my brother likes cowboy bebop and trigun, so I know they're paying attention to anime. Plus, I'd rather stay away from most objectionable stuff for myself anyway, even if I've been deemed "old enough" for it. Anyway, I've had a few boo-boos...Kare Kano, Faerie's Landing..I've learned you really gotta know a series before buying it cause sometimes they can suprise you. DNAngel is the only series I picked up on my own without some kind of prior recommendation for it/prior knowledge of the anime.

Anyway, at least with anime/manga you can sell it off at Ebay for a relatively good price if it turns out to be not to your liking. I'd rather not go through the hassle, but it IS an option rather than getting stuck with this junk.
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:50 pm

Ashley wrote:Well, I have a younger brother and sister in the house too, so I have to be careful of what little eyes might see. My sister, for example, loves fruits basket and full moon and my brother likes cowboy bebop and trigun, so I know they're paying attention to anime. Plus, I'd rather stay away from most objectionable stuff for myself anyway, even if I've been deemed "old enough" for it. Anyway, I've had a few boo-boos...Kare Kano, Faerie's Landing..I've learned you really gotta know a series before buying it cause sometimes they can suprise you. DNAngel is the only series I picked up on my own without some kind of prior recommendation for it/prior knowledge of the anime.

Anyway, at least with anime/manga you can sell it off at Ebay for a relatively good price if it turns out to be not to your liking. I'd rather not go through the hassle, but it IS an option rather than getting stuck with this junk.

Yeah, I have three underneath me, and of which owuld love to have manga and anime. My 11 year old brother is trying to get me to let him read DNAngel (he thinks Dark is awesome), but, considering certain instances such as the one with Risa and Daisuike, I can't let him. I feel really bad.

Yes, much care must be taken in view of the little ones. Makes buying manga harder, doesn't it?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:22 am

Yeah, I have three underneath me, and of which owuld love to have manga and anime. My 11 year old brother is trying to get me to let him read DNAngel (he thinks Dark is awesome), but, considering certain instances such as the one with Risa and Daisuike, I can't let him. I feel really bad.

Ah, man I know how that feels. I'd suggest Angelic Layer for him, but they make a few jokes about panties. >.< Perhaps we ought to collaborate on what shows to get our sibs into. XD

Yes, much care must be taken in view of the little ones. Makes buying manga harder, doesn't it?

Yeah, but it makes you a better onee-chan, right Osaka? I know the burden well. I think my parents allow me a little more free reign too because they know I'm well aware of my brother and sister (who are 15 and 13 respectively) and I want to make sure they only see clean stuff. And I think the Lord really appriciates that out of us too. ^^
Ashley

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:28 pm

Ashley wrote:Ah, man I know how that feels. I'd suggest Angelic Layer for him, but they make a few jokes about panties. >.< Perhaps we ought to collaborate on what shows to get our sibs into. XD

It certainly wouldn't be a bad idea. >_< What I have the most trouble with is my little brother. I don't really read much shonen manga (Correction, I read, practically, NO shonen manga.) I have stuff that the sisters can read, but I feel silly saying "Sorry, you can't read DNAngel yet, but here-- you can read Saint Tail! That's almost as good, right?" :drool:

Mangafanatic

Postby Ashley » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:50 pm

"Sorry, you can't read DNAngel yet, but here-- you can read Saint Tail! That's almost as good, right?"

:lol: Yeah, poor Osaka-chan. Hmm, well...the only shonen manga I have is cowboy bebop and gundam wing...neither of which are very appropriate for your brother's age bracket. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some titles though, and maybe hit up Gypsy too. She's the veritable walking encyclopedia of titles. ;)
Ashley

Postby Nate » Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:58 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:"Sorry, you can't read DNAngel yet, but here-- you can read Saint Tail! That's almost as good, right?" :drool:

*Scratches head*

What's wrong with Saint Tail...? It's probably just as good as DNAngel, if not better.

Then again, I haven't read DNAngel, so... ^^;;

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews