Yu Yu Hakusho, about the cuss words in the manga.

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

Yu Yu Hakusho, about the cuss words in the manga.

Postby Neosevangel » Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:58 pm

I'm thinking about buying some volumes of Yu -Yu Hakusho. I know it has demons in it but you can dismiss that the same way you can Inu-Yasha. What really is bothering me is the cussing in the series. What I find interesting is in the manga chapters I've read in my brother's Shonen Jump magazines has no cuss words in them what so ever. While in the japanese version of the anime Yususke cusses up a storm. (with plenty of ds and a's; by the way I learned this through reading subtitles on screenshots). Shonen Jump also still rates it for teens. (probably due to Yusuke smoking and the violence). So here's my point in the American manga does Yusuke cuss. If so how often and to what extreme? (what I mean by exteme is what kind of words are we talking here.)

Friendship at its finest!

:lick: :hug: :jump: :red: :angel:
Neosevangel

Postby MasterDias » Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:03 pm

[quote="Neosevangel"]I'm thinking about buying some volumes of Yu -Yu Hakusho. I know it has demons in it but you can dismiss that the same way you can Inu-Yasha. What really is bothering me is the cussing in the series. What I find interesting is in the manga chapters I've read in my brother's Shonen Jump magazines has no cuss words in them what so ever. While in the japanese version of the anime Yususke cusses up a storm. (with plenty of ds and a's]
Profanity is not much of an issue in Viz's Shonen Jump titles currently, for whatever reason.
There is mild profanity here and there in keeping with the T rating, but it is only used occasionally and is generally limited to d***, h***, and b******.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Thu Nov 25, 2004 5:59 pm

Well, the main characters are gangsters, so they swear some.
Of course, Viz lightens the language alot (unlike some quite bad word seen in Tokyopop... yes, they have added in a couple "f-bombs". Sort of unecessary though, because there's no real Japanese equivilent to it...
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby Neosevangel » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:40 am

Really?
Neosevangel

Postby Rauken » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:29 pm

The volumes are published as Shonen Jump titles, so I don't think they could add anything.
I have a few issues of Shonen Jump and all of the volumes of YYH, Naruto, and Hikaru no Go that have been translated so far and have never noticed any differences between the magazine and the books.
Rauken

Postby Neosevangel » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:02 pm

Thank you!
Neosevangel

Postby CloudStrife918 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:52 am

I would like to add that it seems that Shonen Jump came out early on filled with cursing, but it had slowly diminished. You will have to watch out for volumes one, two, and three of the manga in Yu Yu Hakusho: i am pretty sure that the first three volumes contain a generous amount of mild language (maybe they were hoping to appeal to a younger audience that think cursing is 'cool'). The second volume also contains two pages of partial nudity (it was not meant to be sexual in nature, i think it was some kind of 'dream' or flashback; the girl was shown nude from waist up without distinguishable features). However, after volume three (i think) they really toned the cursing down. Just check the parental advisoty in the front of the book.
"Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and you shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you. For everyone who asks recieves, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks, it shall be opened." -Jesus
Matthew 7:7-8
CloudStrife918

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews