I wanna learn to read Japanese to help out on the costs for mangas!!!

Post about anime's sister, manga in here. Manga reviews accepted in here as well.

I wanna learn to read Japanese to help out on the costs for mangas!!!

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:01 pm

Can somebody give me a site where I can learn to read Japanese or something like that, please? There are so many Mangas out there that I want to read that have not been translated.... :?: PLEASE HELP THIS HOPELESS MANGA FAN IN NEED!!!
Ichigo_89

Postby RoyalWing » Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:13 am

RoyalWing

Postby Fireproof » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:55 am

I would just learn all of the characters, run them through a translator like Babel Fish then try to make sense of whatever you got in the end. Therre are sits where you can pay actual people to translate text. Manga doesn't have THAT much dialogue, so it probably wouldn't be very expensive. Just a thought.
:rock:
Fireproof

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:55 am

Um, I just wanna learn how to basically read Japanese Manga.
Ichigo_89

Postby Ichigo_89 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:59 am

Fireproof wrote:I would just learn all of the characters, run them through a translator like Babel Fish then try to make sense of whatever you got in the end. Therre are sits where you can pay actual people to translate text. Manga doesn't have THAT much dialogue, so it probably wouldn't be very expensive. Just a thought.

WHOA, coolio! Can you give me a link or something?
Ichigo_89

Postby Fireproof » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:06 am

http://www.altavista.com/babelfish
They have a character keyboard to enter the Japanese characters, but remember, they go up to down, right column to left column, and the text boxes go from top to bottom, right to left.

ss
to
um
fe
f

Is the same as "some stuff."

I hope this helps.
:rock:
Fireproof

Postby mai » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:07 am

Here is a site I found very helpful http://www.kanjisite.com/
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Splintered » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:56 pm

Learning a second language isn't easy. You really need to get lessons. Not only to learn the kanji, but sentence structure. It could take a couple of years before you can read manga confidently.

It is by faith I have been saved...
Splintered

Postby panegryst » Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:16 pm

www.thejapanesepage.com will help. look for Japanese Step By Step by Gene Nishi at Borders. it will help you learn quickly, but you have to be willing to devote a lot of effort.
"Reason is the Devil's harlot."
-Martin Luther

I'll stand for nothing less
Or never stand again
-Chevelle, 'The Clincher'

Image Image
panegryst

Postby Kisa » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:00 pm

Cool site Pangryst!
LOL yea I think we all would like to learn Japanese easy, but it is a hrad and complicated language, and you most likeley will have to take lessons til you get to a point where it would be easy to read.
Good luck though! I would love to learn one day too ^^
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Mr. Rogers » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:29 pm

the best site out there to learn japanese at is http://www.yesjapan.com. i give this site out alot and people complain because you have to pay, but you are really getting your money's worth. all the other sites out there just aren't all that great. they either have poor grammar examples or just don't teach it at all. i've been using this site for 9 months now and i could have never learned as much as i have from any other place. also, you can't just learn to read the language, you are going to have to learn the language itself. i don't know if you will be able to just run the characters through babelfish either. because manga aren't just written in kana, they are also written in kanji and you would have to learn the readings for those. i haven't found babelfish to be very reliable either. seriously though, check out http://www.yesjapan.com. if you seriously want to learn the language, it's the place to go. and it's only $12.95/month. better than a free site you aren't going to learn from or lots of money on books that are poorly written.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Kisa » Wed Sep 01, 2004 2:41 pm

Cool! Thanks Sldr!
btw like your icon ^^
*sings: Trgodor the burninator! . . .*
Romans 12:2
Kisa

Postby Mangafanatic » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:58 pm

I'll be happy to jus tlearn to speak it. If I ever get the cash for those Pumlsier tapes. . .*sigh* If you figure out a good way to learn written Japanese without taking lessons from a school, tell me about it, k?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby panegryst » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:06 pm

I posted about that... there are some great books that will really help, I already posted about Japanese Step By Step on this thread. also look for the Easy Kana Workbook series; it will really help you learn to write and recognize the characters.
"Reason is the Devil's harlot."
-Martin Luther

I'll stand for nothing less
Or never stand again
-Chevelle, 'The Clincher'

Image Image
panegryst

Return to Manga and Manga Reviews