CAA Musicians

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

CAA Musicians

Postby PreventerWind » Wed May 19, 2004 2:03 pm

I scoured this forum for a similar thread so forgive me if I missed it and this is a dupe ...

Let's hear from the CAA musicians out there!!!

What do you play? How did you learn? Who do you play with? Where do you play?

I got my first drum set 23 years ago although I'd say I've been playing rather seriously for about 15 years now. My father was a musician so it's in my blood. I've picked up tips and techniques here and there and was formally trained playing snare in my high school's drumline. I did the garage band scene for a lot of years. After I was saved, I played in my church's worship team for many years. I had to give that a rest after I became a father. These days I just play classic rock with a few friends for a good time.
PreventerWind

Postby ssj2gohan61 » Wed May 19, 2004 2:08 pm

I attempt to play the electric guitar here and there.. so far self-taught but whenever i have time im going to be taking lessons with the guitarist at church
ssj2gohan61

Postby Spencer » Wed May 19, 2004 2:24 pm

I play acoustic guitar as well as electric guitar. Used to be in a band, but that didn't really work, so now I am just playing on Wednesday nights at church sometimes.
:)
Spencer

Postby Hikage_Ninja » Wed May 19, 2004 2:44 pm

My main instrument is the piano (I named it McMahon). I've been playing for about 10 years, since I was 7. I learned...from my teacher. I play with myself...sometimes. See...my friend is trying to start up a band...and they really wanted a keyboardist...so I was nominated (probably because I was the only one they knew who played the piano)... So...I've been coming up with piano accopaniments for some of my friend's songs...so we play together sometimes....in his basement, isn't that the most exciting place to play? LOL.

I've also been teaching myself the guitar for a bit...acoustic at the moment. (I named my guitar Sellers). And um...I don't play with anyone...and I usually play in my room. Yeah...

I'd really like to start learning the violin...but at the moment I feel as though I don't have the time to start up a new instrument. But if I do, then it would most likely be the violin...it's so neat. ^_^
...And I'm just tired enough...if I close my eyes, I could sleep for days... -Alkaline Trio

He's Bear, he's Bear. He's made of human hair. Poke his NOSE and his head GROWS! He's Bear, He's Bear, HE'S BEAR!!

BOOOOOARGH! MY BAND!
Hikage_Ninja

Postby Hitokiri » Wed May 19, 2004 5:31 pm

umm..well I don't play a instrument but I sing and scream.

yayahyayahayahay!!!!! ::rambles off in some screamo langauge::

me and my friends are thinking of putting a c.d. together
Hitokiri

Postby Zedian » Wed May 19, 2004 5:54 pm

Hitokori, love the screamo langauge. LOL I play guitar, actually I'm pretty much self taught, though I might hold an interest in music since pretty much my brother and two sisters were also musicians. I mainly play accoustic since my Washburn doesn't work right. I hope to learn how to play violin one of these days. Some bands like Cursive and Yellowcard prove you can rock out with a classical instrument.
Zedian

Postby AnimePriest » Wed May 19, 2004 6:42 pm

I started playing electric guitar after I heard Carlos Santana play, and I said, "I want to be like him," so I finally bought a guitar and I'm on my way.
Do you ever feel like breaking down?
Do you ever feel out of place?
Like somehow you just don't belong
And no one understands you

Do you ever wanna run away?
Do you lock yourself in your room?
With the radio on turned up so loud
That no one hears you screaming

No you don't know what it's like
When nothing feels alright
You don't know what it's like to be like me

To be hurt
To feel lost
To be left out in the dark
To be kicked
When you're down
To feel like you've been pushed around
To be on the edge of breaking down
And no one's there to save you
No you don't know what it's like

Welcome to my life :sniffle:
AnimePriest

Postby Hitokiri » Wed May 19, 2004 6:49 pm

Zedian wrote:Hitokori, love the screamo langauge.

As in what I put in my post or are you for real?

Screamo is th eonly way to go :lol: :rock:
Hitokiri

Postby Hikage_Ninja » Wed May 19, 2004 7:18 pm

LOL... Screamo and hardcore are two genres that I like...but...I have to be in the mood to listen to. Hardcore more than screamo, but still they're good stuff.

Zedian, yeah I give Cursive and Yellowcard mad props for being mad original and using the violin in their stuff.
...And I'm just tired enough...if I close my eyes, I could sleep for days... -Alkaline Trio

He's Bear, he's Bear. He's made of human hair. Poke his NOSE and his head GROWS! He's Bear, He's Bear, HE'S BEAR!!

BOOOOOARGH! MY BAND!
Hikage_Ninja

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Wed May 19, 2004 8:04 pm

I don't play an instrument, but I do write music. The Melodies of Heaven page on my site (click "The BASIC FAQs" in my signature) is where I have many of my compositions & arrangements ready for download, if you're interested. ^_^

Incidentally, I used to play piano when I was in elementary school and played in the band's percussion section during junior high & high school. (Love the sound of the timpani. :thumb: )
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby Hikage_Ninja » Thu May 20, 2004 12:20 am

You don't play an instrument but you compose such lovely peices? O.o I'm listening to your "Anime Angels Lullaby." It's so precious and cute. ^_^ Such an adorable piece of work.

BOOOOOARGH! MY BAND!
Hikage_Ninja

Postby SwordSkill » Thu May 20, 2004 2:05 am

What do you play? How did you learn? Who do you play with? Where do you play?

WHAT: Piano
HOW: Lessons from a family friend since I was a wee one
WHO: I play solo
WHERE: Home

WHAT: Acoustic guitar (hoping to get an electric one soon)
HOW: Self-taught from books
WHO: Depending on the occasion, but nothing constant
WHERE: Sometimes in hospitals or people's houses when visiting the sick. Also used to play in the church's "String Ensemble." Otherwise I just play at home.

Btw, MelodyMaker, nice music there and quite impressive arrangements. Do the MP3s have accompaniment or do you just sing a capella? (I'm just listening to the MIDIS).

EDIT AGAIN: MelodyMaker, your stuff rock. ^^ My mom listened to your Great Is Thy Faithfulness (she does compositions and arrangements too). My bro loves your Wonderful Grace of Jesus "video game" version too; the high school he attends (and I had attended before him) had that song as our school hymn. Wish I could let our old principal hear it! XD

And I love the Scottish strains of your This is My Father's New World Symphony. ^^
*Insert witty saying here*
SwordSkill

Postby TheMelodyMaker » Thu May 20, 2004 9:09 am

I glad everyone likes my music so much; thank you all. (I can only give God the glory for it, though; He's the one that gave me the talent in the first place. ^_^ )

SwordSkill wrote:Do the MP3s have accompaniment or do you just sing a capella? (I'm just listening to the MIDIS).

There is accompaniment in the MP3 versions of the songs]only[/i] the accompaniment, with an extra track or two added for the melody line(s).
[color=RoyalBlue]@)}~`,~ [/color]Carry this rose in your signature as thanks to Inkhana, for all she has done for us in the past.Even though she is no longer a moderator, she has done an awful lot for us while she was and she deserves thanks. ^_^
TheMelodyMaker

Postby DoMiNiQuE » Sun May 23, 2004 9:46 am

i ono.. may sound corner. but i play the trumpet *blushes*

yah.. i learned in school and now i love my instrument (very rare to see people in my school actually ENJOYING playing)

What: Trumpet
How: 6th grade, Mr Luster!! < cool guy
who? i play with the band at school, sometimes in church and sometimes with my cousins matiarchy band (BAD spelling) but u know the spanish bands .. yeah.. and i play sometimes just b.c i wanna at special occassions
WHere? mostly at home, church, school, and friends house and stuff

at the moment, i learning how to play bass cuz its quick and easy.. i like the background cuz that is what makes the music!!! i know how to play Repitilla by The Strokes on bass all ready .. soo ezz! lol
Dominique

Revelation 22:12- Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Homestarrunner Rocks!!

Paper cranes are my friend... so is pastel stars

ImageAw.
DoMiNiQuE

Postby Zilch » Mon May 24, 2004 3:56 pm

I play the bass...badly...but I'm getting better.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby SManBeyond » Mon May 24, 2004 6:32 pm

WHAT: Violin
HOW: Lessons from various teachers ever since I was six. Around 14 I stopped taking them because of school, but at that point I could pretty much teach myself.
WHO: Mostly solo now, but I used to play in a group and could probably still do so.
WHERE: Home, College

WHAT: Piano
HOW: Lessons since I was 10. Stopped around 15, but then took them again for one year when I was 17
WHO: I play solo
WHERE: Home, College

Sorry for "borrowing" your format, SwordSkill. :)
"Love means to love that which is unlovable; or it is no virtue at all." G. K. Chesterton

Founder of S.T.R.A.W.B.E.R.R.Y. R.H.U.B.A.R.B. P.I.E.

[url=smanbeyond.blogspot.com]My Blog[/url]
SManBeyond

Postby Hitokiri » Tue May 25, 2004 2:20 pm

well...ive been talking to a friend of mine whoose a drummer and also records music and something this early summer, we will be recording some of my songs and songs we wrote together. Most likely his brother will be playing both guiatr or bass...or a friend of mine.

If we do, I will provide a link possibly to some of the songs.
Hitokiri

Postby Raskle » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:44 am

I play keys and guitar mostly.
taught myself, after my Dad showed me some chords. I can't read music, which surprises people sometimes, I guess, because of my playing style. Been playing both 5-9 years
my bass-playing and drumming are just barely there.
hmmm.. Irish tin whistle
I jam w/ friends around--most of whom are all going away to college :( and various groups my daddy puts together. Tends to be blues/rock/folk type music. I enjoy trying to play jazz piano.
Raskle

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:06 pm

- Piano - Lessons for 12 years, played for fourteen. I've played for churches since I was 13, and played a moderate amount of classical, slightly less with just chords, but I can get around a bit, and a lor of sight-reading. I guess it comes from accompanying so often over the years.

- Organ - My minor in College is Organ Performance, and I've taken since I've been in college, so about two years. My teacher loves Bach, so I do a lot of his music, and a lot of church stuff - preludes, hymns, etc. It's fun, and a lot harder for me than Piano.

- Guitar - Took lessons last summer, and only play a little bit, because I don't make a lot of time to practice. Most of what I know is from others that have taught me stuff along the way.

Side note: I've sang in choirs now for most of my life, and have sung every part at one point or another. I'm also picking up a string next semester (lessons). Which one will be determined by accessibility (whether the school will let me borrow either a Cello or a Viola), but most likely Viola will be the instrument.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby CreatureArt » Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:43 pm

Hitokiri wrote:well...ive been talking to a friend of mine whoose a drummer and also records music and something this early summer, we will be recording some of my songs and songs we wrote together. Most likely his brother will be playing both guiatr or bass...or a friend of mine.

If we do, I will provide a link possibly to some of the songs.

Congratulations, Hitokiri! I'm sure they'll sound awesome - and I hope the recording goes well. :thumb:

I played the piano for a long while, then gave it up in frustration a couple of years back (as I'm 16 that was when I was a bit younger and less likely to stick with something, say 12 or so ). However, I got to Grade 4 and it turned out to be a wonderful base for my new hobby - singing!

So I do classical singing, being trained by someone who has a wonderful voice and who I respect and admire (best of all, she's a Christian!). But don't let that fool you - I sing a lot of contemporary music, in CONTEMPORARY style, using classical techniques to increase my volume and purity of sound, all that sort of stuff. I've got a long way to go in singing, but I'm enjoying it.

What I love most of all, though, is that I can combine the two to compose my own little praise songs, etc. on the piano using chords etc. Writing praise songs while spending time with the Lord is _awesome_ and something I've started to do and improve on lately.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby sunet » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:09 pm

violin - i've been playing since about grade 3 i think & uh, i've had about 4 teachers. i used to play in our church's little band-thingie, but then we moved. :(

piano - i started when i was little, but i kinda quit. i wanna get started again, 'cause i know sooo many people who quit when they were little and now they regret it. i've had 2 teachers - my neighbour & my mom. i don't play with anyone really.

guitar - just started this school year. i have it as a subject at school. ^_^ i may start playing in church. i currently play accoustic, but i want an electric sooo bad.
sunet

Postby Raiden no Kishi » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:33 pm

I play piano, and have for...I dunno....about 9 or so years. I've just taken electric guitar up about a year or so ago. I mostly play at home, but I do the occasional impromptu jam session on the piano with my friend who plays drums and elec. bass.

Rai
[raiden's liveJournal]

[color="Indigo"]"I believe whatever doesn't kill you simply makes you . . . stranger."[/color]

Strollin' in at dawn, wakin' up at noon's gonna catch up to me soon
'Just sleep when you're dead' is what I said 'cause I'm jumpin' off the moon
Raiden no Kishi

Location: Ticking away/The hours that make up the dull day . . .

Postby chimera189 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:47 pm

I play bass (ibanez), self taught.
used to play in the church band as a sub.
now i just play at home
Defend the Bible? I would as soon defend a lion! Charles Spurgeon
I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts. The rest are details. Albert Einstien
Luke 23:39-43; "And it also makes me smile to think that there is a grinning ex-con walking the streets of gold that knows more about grace than a thousand theologans. No one else would have given him a prayer, but in the end that is all he had, and in the end that is all it took." -Max Lucado

[url=myspace.com/chimera189]myspace[/url]
chimera189

Postby ZionPsalmist » Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:08 pm

I play the guitar (accoustic and electric). Started playing about 2 years ago, i took lessons untill about 2 months ago. I play in a Gospel/country/clasic rock band with a bunch of old guys from my church, though im trying to start a rock band around me. We play at nursing homes and country fairs and stuff like that. I also play the bass (poorly) and the piano, though its been like 5 years since i last played the piano.
It is easy to miss the possibility that every person who crosses your path can become an event and a memory, good or bad, to fill in the hours with experience instead of tedium, to break the monotony of the passing moments. Those wasted moments, those hours of sameness, of routine, are the enemy, I say, are little stretches of death within the moments of life. - Drizzt Do'Urden

Jesus- the original rebel :rock:

Image <-- Insomniac Banner by Aka-chan -->
ZionPsalmist

Postby Hari » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:19 am

I play the alto saxophone, and had lessons for about ten years (do the math, and you'll see that I could hardly hold the thing up when I started! :).

I play with three groups, a college jazz band, a college concert band, and my family's "group," recently formed by my youngest brother and youngest sister and I. Me: sax, Brother: trumpet, Sister: violin. We call ourselves The Jammers, kind of a von Trapp variety thing when we get the other three (piano, guitar, and percussion) involved! :)

My jazz band had a concert yesteday, and our director was in an accident on his way... He was fine, but the car was totaled... So we had a fantastically panicked time setting up! The fire alarm, nobody expecting us, missing musicians, missing music, carrying two stands and a saxophone through the rain... It was really fun (things went well, despite all that!), and in the words of our trombonist: "This is just like the military, stuff like this happens all the time!" At least I didn't have to direct, as was threatened. :)

If I could add to this thread's general idea, does anyone have concert/recording/playing stories as well as their musical bio? If I'm overstepping, I'll create a separate thread... But I'm curious!
Hari

Postby PumpkinKoRn52 » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:31 am

As for me, I sing occasionally, not to well though, so I try not to whenever possible. I also play a little bit of guitar, bass, and piano. Whatever music I can read I try to play on those. However, none of these are my primary instrument. My main instrument is drums, which I am the best at. I think I suck, but I hate everything I do anyways because I believe I can always do it better. I've been playing for close to 4 years, and am currently taking a class at my school countys fine arts center for dumming and percussion. I love playing, but have never really had a band that lasted(The other members were idiots. They never wanted to practice.). I got a nice kit, a Pearl Session Custom, which I relly love.
"Relax, turn around, and take my hand." Tool
"Heir Kommt Die Sonne." Rammestein
"Now the world is gone, I'm just one. Oh please God help me." Metallica
"Are You Ready?!?" KoRn
"All and all your just another brick in the wall." Pink Floyd.
The downfall of society will be society itself.
Rap is the malignant tumor of the music industry.
I HATE LINKIN PARK
PumpkinKoRn52

Postby CreatureArt » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:16 pm

PumpkinKoRn52 wrote:As for me, I sing occasionally, not to well though, so I try not to whenever possible. I also play a little bit of guitar, bass, and piano. Whatever music I can read I try to play on those. However, none of these are my primary instrument. My main instrument is drums, which I am the best at. I think I suck, but I hate everything I do anyways because I believe I can always do it better. I've been playing for close to 4 years, and am currently taking a class at my school countys fine arts center for dumming and percussion. I love playing, but have never really had a band that lasted(The other members were idiots. They never wanted to practice.). I got a nice kit, a Pearl Session Custom, which I relly love.

Drums?! Wow - that's awesome!
I had the privilige of getting about 40 minutes total of drum lessons at school (shared with two other people), but because I can actually play them (albeit very badly) I've been tagged the drummer of my friends' little band (which we're still just starting up). So, being back on track - I think it's awesome that you play the drums - they're amazing. All I can really play so far is the bass, snares and hihat... :lol:

I agree - it's got to be a bit annoying when people want to be in a band but don't practice. Practice is so important for performing music. My friends' band hasn't been able to practice much yet - but that's mostly because we've had to book the church drumset and we've all got exams.
---
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
A sci-fi drama webcomic updating Thursdays.
PG-13. Rating description here.
---
CreatureArt

Postby mastersquirrel » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:43 am

I'm a pianist and have been taking for about ten years now. I don't have the best piano in the world and it's a little off key, but I'm hoping to get a nice keyboard this Christmas. :jump:
[SIZE="1"]"If there's one thing that I know, it's that I know more than one thing." - Master Squirrel[/SIZE]
mastersquirrel

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:58 pm

I am a guitarist ten years running. I play both electric and acoustic. I need to get a better acoustic guitar though, because the main problem with mine is that the action on it is a little too high - not unplayable, but God help you if you wanna play a barre chord on that thing. But it's got a genuine Larry Norman signature on it, so I think I'll keep it around to jam on once in a while ^_^. As for my electric, it was built from scratch by a friend of my dad's. It's pretty good, suits me just fine. I don't usually plug in at home though, because I don't like the idea that people can hear me loud and clear when I screw up.
I play with one of our church's worship teams (we rotate), so I guess you could call that a band.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby agasfas » Wed Nov 03, 2004 2:23 pm

I only played just about the coolest instruement..........THe Trumpet! I konw, not cool :(. But I originally started in middle school; it was either that or orchestra. So of course I piked band. ANyways I played all the way through 9th grade. They put me in the lowest band b/c i refused to do marching band. err..... Then my instructor tried to switch me the tuba... The tuba? I don't even know how to play it and what's the 4th valve for? But I only played to fulfil my fine art credit that was required.
Now, I'm attempting to teach myself the piano w/ little sucess. Though I can play "Marry had a little Lamb." To be honest, I'm not really musically inclined.
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine.." Prov 17:22

The word 'impossible' isn't in my dictionary... but I don't really have a dictionary you know? - Eikichi Onizuka.
Sorry, but I stop being a teacher at 5 o'clock. - Eikichi Onizuka.
agasfas

Return to Jam Session