what got you stuck on your current genre?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

what got you stuck on your current genre?

Postby Hitokiri » Fri May 14, 2004 5:30 pm

whioch band got you stuck on the current music you listen to and/or genre?

Well...Newsboys got me struck on the entire Christian music theme.

The current Genre i listen to is Heavy Metal/Nu Metal/Screamo. The band that got me started on loud music was Beanbag.
Hitokiri

Postby Zedian » Fri May 14, 2004 8:08 pm

I actually don't listen to one particular genre. I'll go from The Verve to Pink Floyd then Minor Threat all in the same sitting. But it usually takes one band to get me hooked on listening to styles--though again I don't favor just one particular form of music.
Zedian

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat May 15, 2004 8:29 pm

My favorite Genre is singer songwriter because I like songs that talk about life, and not just romantic love or worship or anything. My favorite band is Waterdeep that plays in different styles, but 90% of their songs are about life (they have some worship songs, some covers, and some fluff, but most of it is very real.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby That Dude » Sun May 16, 2004 1:30 pm

Well I mostly listen to punk and hardcore. MxPx got me into the punk and Project 86 and Demon Hunter got me into hardcore. My fav band is Dead Poetic
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 16, 2004 1:39 pm

Most varieties of rock work for me, simply as music that sounds relatively good as background noise. The only music genre I consider myself and actual fan of is satire, which is terribly lacking in modern music (though at least we have parodies). At least I still have Steve Taylor tapes...
uc pseudonym

Postby skynes » Mon May 17, 2004 2:13 am

Skillet got me stuck in Christian Rock.
Rammstein got me into Industrial
Demon Hunter got me into Death Metal
Metallica got me into Metallica
I am the Reaper of Souls... and it's harvest time.

skynes

Postby Hikage_Ninja » Mon May 17, 2004 2:28 am

Hm...I listen to a lot of things...really. I mean...I grew up listening to country for goodness sakes. Hehe. And I do listen to JPop...and classical...and anything that sounds good. But...I must admit I do MOSTLY listen to emo and ska...aaand a little bit of punk.

What got me into the punk scene? Mm...how embarassing...really pop punky bands like...New Found Glory (yeah...ok so I still listen to them...SENTIMENTAL REASONS! Buahahahaa) and Relient K (I still am madly in love with RK). But now...I don't listen to that much punk...except for Against Me! Tsunami Bomb and a little of Anti-Flag and MxPx's older stuff. (Yeah...my taste in punk upgraded drastically in less than a year. Go me.) Oh and Calibretto...which is like...Ha ha...Folk Punk/Acoustic Punk.

Then I got into the ska scene...how did that happen? I heard Reel Big Fish and fell in love with the brass and the off beats. Whoosh! Now...favourite ska bands include Streetlight Manifesto, Catch 22 (older stuff), I Voted for Kodos, Five Iron Frenzy and so on...ska makes me happy. I can't help but start skanking to those catchy horn riffs.

Emo...the genre I listen to most now. What got me into emo...hm... Mmm...Not...sure... Haha. Probably stuff like Dashboard and Jimmy Eat World...Plain White T's...hard to say though...o.O But...yeah I'm a sucker for emo...good emotionally powered lyrics... Yeah. Um...emo bands I listen to now? Saves the Day...Bayside...and still Plain White T's...yeah...stuff like that. Yum. ^_^

Oh and Relient K got me into the Christian rock scene too...I like Copeland a lot...who's Christian but also emo. Do you realize how many AWESOME Christian emo bands are out there?! It makes me oh so happy. ^_^
...And I'm just tired enough...if I close my eyes, I could sleep for days... -Alkaline Trio

He's Bear, he's Bear. He's made of human hair. Poke his NOSE and his head GROWS! He's Bear, He's Bear, HE'S BEAR!!

BOOOOOARGH! MY BAND!
Hikage_Ninja

Postby righteous_slave » Wed May 19, 2004 12:08 pm

Dozens of genres, dozens of bands..........I'm starting another black metal kick so I'll start there with Crimson Moonlght, thrash started way back with Anthrax, HxC was Dodgin' Bullets, Overcome, Figure Four, and Born Blind, the four bands on the Facedown sampler I ordered, jazz, Miles Davis, blues, the Blues Brothers, pop punk, Green Day, pop metal, Motley Crue, rap, Ice Cube, rapcore, POD, industrial, NIN, ska, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, nu-metal Demon Hunter, death metal, Morbid Angel..needless to say, I don't listen to some of these anymore.

PS Synes, are you counting Demon Hunter as death metal, or did they lead you towards regular DM bands?
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Hitokiri » Wed May 19, 2004 7:14 pm

What exactly is Demon Hunter? I would consider them a bit Death Metal and Nu-Metal. I've heard people say both.

The band that initially got me on the heavy and ultimately Screamo is Blindside and Demon Hunter even though they aren't truly Screamo, it's what got me into it.
Hitokiri

Postby righteous_slave » Thu May 20, 2004 9:12 am

Death metal: downtuned guitars, Cookie Monster gargling broken glass vocals, speed
Nu-metal: pick and choose different metal standbys, speed, riffs, grunts, growls, ect, mix with electronic elements, beats, distortion ect.
Yup Demon Hunter definatily fits the nu-metal tag.

Death metal is really limited, move too far in any musical direction and you've gone outside the genre. One of the reasons why it didn't last that long, bands got bored of the constraints and either quit or moved on (unfortunately for us DM fans),
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Zilch » Thu May 20, 2004 12:22 pm

Pillar actually brought me into the hardcore scene, unless you count Carman (rolls eyes).
Tourniquet drew me into the metal genre, and I'm so glad it did.
Uh-oh! Your sig have started to move! -- MOES.

I suppose you could find females attracted to you if you stop being bad at flirting. -MSP
Zilch

Postby Ren_sama » Tue May 25, 2004 10:22 pm

Steven Curtis Chap., Avalon, Relient K...yea, they got me into the Contemp. Christian music...

Linkin Park got me into the Rock/Alt. Rock music...

V6, BoA, and GacKt got me into the Jap. music....XD

and my mom...she got me into the oldies...^___^''
Ren_sama

Postby TrigunX89 » Sat May 29, 2004 3:00 pm

Uhh... Linkin Park got me liking the whole rap/rock thing. I'll listen to different types of music though.
TrigunX89

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:46 pm

A book I just read got me back into Classical Music ("The Piano Shop on the Left Bank" by Thad Carhart)

Audioslave got me back into heavier rock (I was really into it in high school, but I try not to listen to it that much because it can have a negative effect on me if I innundate myself in it)

Nickel Creek and Alison Krauss got me into Bluegrass/country

Jars of Clay and Fernando Ortega keep me interested in Christian music
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Mave » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:11 pm

Jars of Clay got me into Christian music.
David Sanborn and Cowboy Bebop music into Jazz
Delirious into pop/rock

But really, I like mixtures of various music genres more than anything.
Mave

Postby Ren_sama » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:44 pm

Oh yea, and Mozart got me into classical. ^_^
Ren_sama

Return to Jam Session