Audio editing help?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Audio editing help?

Postby Uriah » Mon May 03, 2004 4:09 pm

(Correct me if this topic should be somewhere else)

Does anyone know of a simple program that can be used to mute certain parts of an audio file? What I want to do is remove the words from some songs. Reason being, I love the instruments in bands like system of a down and stabbing westward, but due to their lyrics I don't listen to them anymore.
Uriah

Postby Mithrandir » Mon May 03, 2004 5:16 pm

Hmm... I'm not sure that's possible. Sometimes you can get the music only (without the words) but not always. If you do find anything that will do it, be sure to let us know, K?
Mithrandir

Postby shooraijin » Mon May 03, 2004 5:54 pm

What I did with a The Who song that I loved but had a particular lyric line that I couldn't stomach, I clipped the lyric, trying to match beat to beat, and remixed the beat backwards over the gap that it formed (the match was inexact, but that's the nature of such things). It just sounds like a short verse and a return now.

So, it's possible, but you'll have to live with a less optimal result. If you just want to mute a section of an audio file, Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) has a filter to do that, I think (but when it says mute, it means mute -- NO sound).
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby andyroo » Mon May 03, 2004 8:28 pm

Also, Audacity has a help file somewhere that tells you how to remove the vocals in audio and still keep the instruments through a process. So, okay, it's from their FAQ:http://audacity.sourceforge.net/faq.php#a2
"As vinegar to the teeth and smoke to the eyes, so is a sluggard to those who send him." ~Proverbs 10:26
†
The Ideas Behind Anime |

The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.
A proud member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone! Join the fight!
andyroo

Postby Uriah » Mon May 03, 2004 8:35 pm

Thanks.
Uriah

Return to Jam Session