Legal Question

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Legal Question

Postby Vyse » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:19 pm

Alright... I love some of the songs from the anime DVDs that I have, my question is that would it be illegal if I copied some of the songs on my DVDs to my PC/CD for personal use?
Vyse

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:27 pm

i dont think so. why should people care about how many sound bytesa person has on their home pc? or if your worried, cut off the last few seconds. its not the same song then. its not what was written by the artist or whatever. not like your gonna sell em or anything.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby ThaKladd » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:39 pm

It's leagal to copy tour own dvd's to your own personal use only. I'ts your cd and you can do what you want with it, except copy it to others or earn money on it by selling copies, or take money when you show it to a crowd....
We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong
- Michael Card
ThaKladd

Postby shooraijin » Fri Mar 19, 2004 4:09 pm

Yep -- most current legal authorities will concur that fair use lets you make as many copies as you like for your personal use provided you don't give them out or use multiple copies at once (i.e., only one copy is in use at any given time, and the copies are only used by you). This is something that the freak-a-zoids responsible for the DMCA and likeminded hogswallop seem to have forgotten.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Return to Jam Session