Help a budding Skillet Fan

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Help a budding Skillet Fan

Postby rocklobster » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:01 am

I like to check out the songs that WWE uses for Pay-per-views, even though I never order them (what's the point? the next show tells you what you missed anyway). Last year, they used two songs from Skillet's latest album and I became a fan of the band after looking up several other songs on youtube and listening to them.
I have one problem though. I know that I am VERY late to the party and the Skillet has quite a few CD's. Which one do you think is the best to start with?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kaori » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:15 am

Let's see . . .

The self-titled debut Skillet is raw and heavy; it lacks the polished sound of their later CDs, but it still has some great songs.

Hey You, I Love Your Soul is far lighter and more electronic, but it also has some great songs, like the title track.

Invincible blends a heavy rock sound with samples and techno elements. The same could be said of Alien Youth, which retains the electronic elements but is still heavier than Invincible.

Collide is one of the band's heaviest albums and doesn't feature as many electronic elements as the three preceding CDs.

Comatose uses some orchestration, strings and such; on this album, they were going for a big, arena rock type of sound. Personally, I feel that this album is a bit too melodramatic and overproduced for me. However, that's a matter of taste, and I'm sure there are many people who will disagree. I haven't listened Awake, but I've heard that the sound is pretty similar to Comatose.

Overall, my personal favorite Skillet album is Collide, closely followed by Alien Youth. Both of those are great albums, and you can't really go wrong with either one. But then, pick any CD prior to Comatose, and there will definitely be at least some great songs on it.

Anyways, I'm something of a casual fan and only actually own perhaps half of their albums, so I'm sure that there are several people here who can give you more detailed (and perhaps more accurate) descriptions. There's also one other album I didn't list, a worship CD, but I can't tell you anything more about it than that.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby ich1990 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:34 am

[quote="Kaori (post: 1389932)"]Let's see . . .

The self-titled debut Skillet is raw and heavy]

I have been a big fan of Skillet since they released their album "Hey You I Love Your Soul", so I can corroborate what Kaori has said; the above post is entirely accurate.

If you liked the songs from "Awake", then I recommend you start there or with the relatively similar (yet better) "Comatose". Personally, I found "Awake" to be their worst album (it is much more dramatic and overblown than even "Comatose"). My favorite two albums, like Kaori, are "Collide" and "Alien Youth", but they are quite different stylistically from either "Comatose" or "Awake", so take that how you will.

The worship album, called "Ardent Worship" was mediocre. Imagine classic worship songs, like "Who is Like Our God" with a touch of drums and guitar and sang by John and Korey Cooper. Nothing special, but kind of interesting. Sometimes.

For reference, my personal ranking goes like this:

Best
Collide
Alien Youth
Invincible
Comatose
Skillet
Hey You I Love Your Soul
Ardent Worship
Awake
Worst

No matter which album you choose, I am glad to hear that we have another Panhead on the boards!
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby rocklobster » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:34 am

Actually, I'm surprised the WWE even used a Christian rock band. They usually use straight-up metal/alternative. (they did use a rap song several years ago for a Wrestlemania) Perhaps Shawn Michaels (himself a born-again Christian) had a hand in the choosing?:eyebrow:
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:58 pm

Collide is easily my favorite today. And I have a soft spot for Hey You I Love Your Soul (points to username and siggy...). Hey you isn't really my style much but I really do love the songs on this. Scarecrow, Locked in a Cage, Your Love etc... I dunno I just liked the songs.

I guess Alien Youth would be my third favorite. Thirst is Taking Over was probably my favorite Skillet song.

Never liked Invincible much or the Self Titled. Comatose and Awake have some good songs but it's a little to pop rock for my taste. I never checked out Awake to be honest. My musical tastes have changed A LOT since I was really into skillet and I don't listen to them at all really anymore. I did hear Monster and Hero though and they aren't bad but seems like they just took old songs and re-worded them. Like they're running out of ideas and it's all just recycled material going around now.

They're still a cool band though. I think the group is pretty awesome and like they would be great to hang out with. They seem to be really genuine and passionate in their faith and stuff and it shows and I think that's kind of why I liked them more than usual in the first place
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Chrysolite » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:43 pm

Comatose is one of my favorite albums ever. I don't know, I guess I just like dramatic... I'm certainly no musician, but I feel amazingly drawn-into most of the songs on that album and I really feel like they take me somewhere else. "Rebirthing" and "Whispers in the Dark" are my personal favorites, and I never get tired of hearing them. :)
[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="SeaGreen"]}~`,~[/color]

Do not be overrighteous, neither be overwise—
why destroy yourself?

Do not be overwicked, and do not be a fool—
why die before your time?

It is good to grasp the one and not let go of the other.
The man who fears God will avoid all extremes.

—Ecclesiastes 7:16-18
Chrysolite

Postby That Dude » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:53 pm

I'm with Kaori on this...I personally like Collide and Alien Youth the best. And from what I've heard, Awake is one of their worst.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Tommy » Sun May 02, 2010 11:35 pm

Comatose and Collide are the only albums I can get into.

Awake was godawful.
"Monster" was a blatantly rip-off of "Animal I Have Become" by Three Days Grace.

They can put of a fun show, I suppose.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Return to Jam Session