favorite composer

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

favorite composer

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:34 pm

OK, time to class it up. Who are your favorite composers?
Here are mine:
Beethoven
Muzio Clementi
John Williams
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby goldenspines » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:51 pm

Offhand, my favorites are Hans Zimmer, Danny Elfman, and Michael Giacchino.
goldenspines

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:59 pm

rocklobster (post: 1367010) wrote:OK, time to class it up. Who are your favorite composers?
Here are mine:
Beethoven
Muzio Clementi
John Williams

The drawback to having way the heck too many CDs and a fair collection of vinyl is, when I see a question like this my mind goes blank from data overload.

Wow. I'll bet I couldn't get it down smaller than my top twenty five or so. A lot of them would be others' choices though, so for the fun of it, I'll name the five least likely for anyone else to have heard of. Just to challenge you to go hear something new, the title following each will be a personal favorite from them.

Andrei Eshpai - "Songs of the Mountain and Meadow Mari"

Yasushi Akutagawa - "Trinita Sinfonica"

Henryk Górecki - "Already It Is Dusk"

Ferruccio Busoni - "Piano Concerto"

Peter Schickele - Yeah, maybe you've heard of this guy as "PDQ Bach", but have you ever heard his serious composing? Try "Concerto for Oboe and Orchestra".
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:29 pm

Hmmm....there are so many!

Classical:
Mozart
Vivaldi
Tchaikovsky
Beethoven
Rossini
Puccini
Humperdinck
Greig

Modern:
John Williams
Joe Hisaichi
James Newton Howard
James Horner
Henry Mancini
Wyntre Rose

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:35 pm

Beethoven
Yoko kanno
Dvorak
Susumu hirasawa
Bach
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Wyntre Rose » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:42 pm

Makachop^^128 (post: 1367029) wrote:Beethoven
Yoko kanno
Dvorak
Susumu hirasawa
Bach

Oy, oy, how could I have forgotten Yoko Kanno?! And while we are at it, Yuki Kajiura, too! Her music for Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles is actually what made me keep watching, since I wasn't all that impressed with the first episode.
Wyntre Rose

Postby Tancos » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:10 pm

Bach
Beethoven
Chopin
Liszt
Debussy
Bartok
Stravinsky
Scriabin
Szymanowsky
Tancos

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:40 pm

Beethoven
Yoko Kanno
Hans Zimmer
John Williams
Howard Shore

I don't know too many composers, and have heard fewer.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Makachop^^128 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:00 pm

Tancos (post: 1367042) wrote:Bach
Beethoven
Chopin
Liszt
Debussy
Bartok
Stravinsky
Scriabin
Szymanowsky

AH! how could I forget chopin and stravinsky!
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:16 am

I totally forgot Danny Elfman and Yoko Kanno. They can both do so many different styles.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:52 am

EricTheFred (post: 1367017) wrote:Henryk Górecki - "Already It Is Dusk"

Well, I don't know that particular one, but I have heard of Gorecki! The only thing of his I have is his 3rd Symphony, which I believe is called "Symphony of Sorrowful Songs." The first movement, which is about twenty minutes long, is one of the most beautifully depressing things I've ever heard. I should really check out more of his stuff sometime.

Classical

Antonio Vivaldi (DUDE, yeah! :rock: )
J.S. Bach
Ludwig van Beethoven
Dmitri Shostakovich
(and then I like bits and pieces of other composers such as Gorecki, Handel, Brahms, Rachmaninoff, etc.)

Modern
Howard Shore
Hans Zimmer (mainly for The Last Samurai)
James Newton Howard (mainly for The Village)
Stuart Chatwood (because he did the music for Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, and he nailed it)
Ronan Hardiman
Michiru Oshima
Ko Otani
Nobuo Uematsu
Yasunori Mitsuda (I've only heard his Xenogears soundtrack, but it's amazing)
Koji Kondo
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:36 pm

I'd like to say that anyone who writes music is a composer. People who write rock music compose rock music, people who write pop music are pop composers....people who write "classical" music are "classical" composers.......that's the Stravinsky that I've read coming out, haha.
As for "classical" composers (including those of the impressionist, romantic, and modern eras):

J.S. Bach (Musical Offering, Cello Suites for unaccompanied cello, Concerto for 2 Violins)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Don Giovanni, Die Zauberflote, the Requiem, various piano concertos, Symphony #25)
Ludwig van Beethoven (Symphonies 5, 7, 9, Fur Elise, The Moonlight Sonata, Piano Sonata 32, and many other piano works)
Franz Liszt (Hungarian Rhapsody #2, Mephisto Waltz #1, Totentanz, Fantasia on Hungarian Folk Themes)
Carl Maria von Weber (Der Frieschutz)
Richard Wagner (Der Ring des Niebelungen, Die Meistersinger von Nurnburg, Tannhauser)
Gilbert & Sullivan (HMS Pinafore, Patience, Ruddigore)

Gustav Mahler (Symphonies 1, 2, 3, and 8)
Claude Debussy (Children's Corner, Suite Bergamasque, La Mer)
Peter Tchaikovsky (The Nutcracker, Concerto #1 in B-Flat Minor, 1812 Overture)
Igor Stravinsky (The Firebird, Petrushka, The Rite of Spring, Octet, Concerto for Violin, Pulcinella, Scherzo a la Russe, Fireworks.....alot of his smaller works)
Dmitri Shostakovich (Symphonies 4 and 7, String Quartet nos. 3 and 8, The Bolt Suite, Moscow-Cheremushki suite, many piano works, Jazz Suites 1 and 2, The Song of the Forest, The Execution of Stepan Razin)
Philip Glass (String Quartets, Glassworks, A Descent into the Maelstrom, Heroes Symphony)
Danny Elfman (Serenada Schizophrena)
Frank Zappa (Strictly Genteel, *-**** Tornado, Dupree's Paradise, Cletus Alreetus Alrightus, Pedro's Dowry, Bogus Pomp, The Dog Breath Variations, Uncle Meat)
Film/TV/Game composers

Bernard Herrmann (Vertigo, The Trouble With Harry, Jason and the Argonauts)
Ennio Morricone (The Man With No Name Trilogy, Once Upon a Time in the West, Giu la Testa, My Name is Nobody, The Cicillian Gang, The Untouchables)
John Williams (Star Wars series, Indiana Jones series, Hook)
John Barry (Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, Thunderball, On Her Majesty's Secret Service)
Philip Glass (Mishima, Koyaanisquatsi)
Danny Elfman (Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Dolores Claiborne, Sommersby, Midnight Run)
Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts.....their work on Cowboy Bebop of course!
Nobuo Uematsu (One Winged Angel, Tifa's Theme, Dancing Mad, Liberi Fatali, Don't Be Afraid, Final Fantasy I-III Medley)

Jazz Composers (I include this because of the focus on music)

Raymond Scott (Powerhouse, Dinner Music for a Pack of Hungry Cannibals, Dance Music for Egytian Mummies, The Penguin, Tia Juana, Mexican Jumping Bean)
Bela Fleck and the Flectones (The Sinister Minister, Bil Mon, Scratch and Sniff, Throwdown at the Hoedown, The Yeehaw Factor, Blu-Bop, Turtle Rock, Bigfoot)
Frank Zappa (Big Swifty, Waka/Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, Farther O'Blivion, Imaginary Diseases, D.C. Boogie, Montreal)

I will say that overall, I believe Richard Wagner is my favorite composer, but you have to be ready to listen to him, since he primarily composed operas. Following closely is Beethoven and then Stravinsky......but it's always hard for me to decide between those two.
As far as film composers go, I think Ennio Morricone is my favorite (some of the pieces he's written are just unbelievable......especially "Lontano" from "Got Mitt Uns"), but Danny Elfman's "Batman" is my absolute favorite film score of all time.
Finally, Frank Zappa is also up there as a favorite because of the diversity and complexity of his music, and his "Hot Rats" album is my absolute favorite album of all time.
You can tell I'm passionate about music!
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby Beau Soir » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:36 pm

Basically...

Motoi Sakuraba
Koji Kondo
Joe Hisaishi
Danny Elfman.

Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.
--James Arthur Baldwin

Charm is deceptive, beauty is fleeting,
but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.

(Proverbs 31:30)

Beau Soir

Return to Jam Session