Hymns or Contemporary Music?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:42 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1356337) wrote:I actually don't like either much. I'll listen to a hymn over CCM though. There are some really good hymns but they never play those ones. I think the main thing though is that just not played very well and just can't connect emotionally like someone else posted above. That was my main problem when I was going to church. Not only did they play the most bland songs to begin with, it was just very average musically. I've heard versions of Amazing Grace or In the Garden that I LOVE and versions that are just "blah!". Same with "Awesome God"... most of the time it's blah but once in a while you hear a very GOOD version. In worship service, you get a lot of the blah stuff. I know at our church, anyone with basic instrument skills or singing ability can play in the service. I always thought we should give God our very best... not just pick anyone who wants too. One thing with the Church. They never wanna tell anyone no and there is no standard for quality. Same goes for Christian film productions and most CCM IMO...

While I see where you're coming from here, especially on the quality aspect, I think another thing to take into account here is sincerity. I would prefer a marginally talented worship team who are truly sincere about giving God the glory over a highly talented worship team who are self-centered and performance-oriented. I've seen the latter lending itself to practically tearing a church apart, and it's not at all the kind of godly attitude that should represent a worshipper--a servant.

Another thing that I think we all ought to remember in this discussion is the dangers of a consumerist mentality. We shouldn't go to church with the idea that we ought to get anything out of it. Worship is about serving, not being served, and I think that's a good thing for all followers of Christ to remember.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Mithrandir » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:32 pm

Scarecrow (post: 1356337) wrote:I always thought we should give God our very best... not just pick anyone who wants too. One thing with the Church. They never wanna tell anyone no and there is no standard for quality. Same goes for Christian film productions and most CCM IMO...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you've never led worship in a small church. The majority of churches out there simply cannot do what you are suggesting here. There's also the whole "make a joyful noise," but I'll bypass that for now.

I'm sort of one of the backup worship leaders for our church. If I can find someone who's remotely adequate, and is DEDICATED, then I'll take that over someone who's good, but cannot make it all the time. All you have to do is practice a little more; it's not that tough.
Mithrandir

Postby Nate » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:43 am

I'm with Mith here, if it's a small church, you need what you can get. Quite frankly there aren't professional level guitar or piano players on every street corner, and even less so in churches. If a dude can play a few bars that's good enough really, unless you'd rather the pastor say "Since we can't find anyone that's a master pianist we're going to sing acapella."

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. He chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, so that no one may boast before him.

The Bible has a lot of fantastic examples of people who aren't the best of dudes being called by God to do great things. You say we should give God our very best...those guys who aren't very good maybe are giving God their very best.

I agree with Corrie, it's better to have a person of average talents really want to give his all to serve God, even if he's not that good, rather than someone who's extremely talented but arrogant and narcissistic.

Now, if what you're saying is that a person who is mediocre is happy being that way, I agree. That is totally bad. If the person isn't so good, but really wants to serve God, they should do so by practicing, and working hard. If they do then they'll get better. If a person sounds the same as they did two years ago then they probably haven't practiced, and aren't doing their all to serve God. I agree there.

In your case maybe you came to a church where the guy had only been doing it for a few months. Nobody goes from the novice piano lessons straight to expert in that length of time.

I also speak from the experience of a small church, and believe me, we're desperate to get people who are even remotely talented in areas. If a guy could play more than three guitar chords in succession we'd probably make him worship leader because there's basically nobody else in our church who can even do that much. We'd want him to practice and get better, obviously, but you work with what God gives you.

Anyway. Sorry for getting this even more off-track from the main topic. And I don't mean to sound harsh to you, Scarecrow. I already said before, it's difficult to get into a worship mindset if the music is less than pleasant to you, so I totally understand where you're coming from on the issue.

I hear you on the Christian film productions, but I think most of us here will agree that we can usually complain about the low standards for those for entirely different reasons.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:30 am

I must concur with both Mr. Mith and Mr. Nate here. I think the idea is that music in itself is a form of worship. There isn't a particular style or format; as long as you feel a spiritual connection, then the type of music should make no difference. ^_^
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Yamamaya » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:28 pm

I think we can all agree that it's not how much talent the musician has. That comes far secondary to their sincerity.

However, we can all agree that we're not big fans of mediocrity and commercialized worship.
Yamamaya

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:52 am

One thing I've learned over the years is to stop paying attention to the style of music (I used to always be like, "Oh brother, a church with GUITARS!"), and focus instead on sincerely worshiping God. I'll always prefer to do that with hymns, simply because that's what I grew up with, but I've found I can worship him just as devoutly with contemporary songs. One of my favorites has become "Blessed Be Your Name," because I sang it one day in the middle of summer when we were going through a very harsh drought. And it fit so well, and really helped my mindset. Now whenever I sing it, I can praise God for taking care of me in every circumstance. And this is one of those repetitive songs, yet it somehow doesn't become boring.

Blessed be Your name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out I'll
Turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's "all as it should be"
Blessed be Your name

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby WhiteMage212 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:33 am

Hymns are ultimatally the best. I think that if a really talented singer can redo a hymn without changing much can make a hymn epic. CCM on the other hand can be meaningful but then losses the awesome sound. But most CCM can be so shallow that if you wanted to, you could replace God/Jesus with a womans name and then bam! You got a love song! So that's my opinion. When I'm in the right mood, I'll listen to a hymn and then be like wow that was awesome. Plus hymns just make you feel like singing instead of just tapping your foot to a beat.
In the beginning, God created HTML...- R. Zion
Men cry not for themselves, but for there comrades.-FF7 Crisis Core
"If it's not the gun that takes you down, it's the pen- myself
Know God, No fear.
If it doesn't fit, you must edIT! MOES. http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=43825[/URL].
WhiteMage212

Postby Mithrandir » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:29 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1356949) wrote:One of my favorites has become "Blessed Be Your Name,"...

Repetitive songs have the added bonus that mediocre musicians can actually worship during the song, too. If the song is really complex (as most hymns are), it can be difficult for me to concentrate on anything other than playing.
Mithrandir

Postby creed4 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:29 pm

I love both Hymns and contemporary music. The style is not important the key is to focus on Jesus. When the type of music gets in the way of worship, there is a problem. Worship is not about us but Christ.
Tis No Fool to lose what he can not keep to gain what he can never lose.
What does it profit a man to gain the World yet lose his soul.
Choose Life that you Might live.
creed4

Previous

Return to Jam Session