Masterpieces.

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Masterpieces.

Postby That Dude » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:30 am

What are some CD's that you consider masterpieces and why? Here's some from my list.

DC-Talk - Jesus Freaks
Not a huge fan of this CD, but it has amazing production, mixing, and there are no filler songs whatsoever. Every song makes an amazing single.

BraveSaintSaturn - The Light Of Things Hoped For.
This album is rad. Every song packs a punch, they'll leave you thinking, pumped, moved, maybe even crying. The lyrics are amazing and the music is great too.

meWithoutYou - Catch For Us The Foxes.
This is one of the few albums that I catch something new about it every time I listen to it. Amazing lyrics that make you think, and very unique musicianship.

Norma Jean - Bless The Martyr, Kiss The Child.
This is pretty much the definitive chaos-core album.

Mortal - Nu-En-Jin.
One of the best industrial albums ever made in my opinion. Every song would make a great idea for a sci-fi movie. The sampling is extremely intricate and I find something new most every time I hear it.

Stavesacre - Speakeasy
This is probably the best straight up hard rock album I've ever heard. It never gets old and the music is great and Mark Soloman has one of the best and most unique voices out there.

There's the first part of my list. Post your's and why you consider them masterpieces.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Kkun » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:00 pm

I will not repost 2, 3, and 4 because those are all the masterpiece albums as I see it from those bands. Some others for me would be...

Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come: A Chimerical Bombination in Twelve Bursts

This album was their magnum opus. Their grand finale. This is how they exited the stage. It's a multi-layered last middle finger raised in defiance at (as they saw it) the evils of capitalism and government in the form of twelve tracks of . As much as I like Rage Against the Machine, when it comes to albums with a hard left political slant, pass me some Refused any day of the week. This record formed the skeleton on which many bands (Blindside, Showbread, The Blood Brothers, Lostprophets) would eventually draw influences from, if not pattern themselves after. Absolutely brilliant.

The Blood Brothers - Burn, Piano Island, Burn

This album has it all. It's bratty, obnoxious, moody and chock full of trashy, nearly incomprehensible noise and angular punk rock. The lyrics are abstract and surreal. If someone came to me and said "I want to listen to The Blood Brothers. Which album should I start with?" I would put this one in their hands immediately.

Every Time I Die - Hot D@*#!

ETID rules pretty hard and this album is representative of their entire body of work. The lyrics are some of Keith Buckley's best and this album basically takes metalcore and turns it on its head. Good stuff.

Jars of Clay - self-titled
This was the first album I ever owned and to this day, I think it was Jars of Clay's best (that's not to say any of their albums are bad...I think they're one of the few contemporary Christian bands putting out consistently good albums). It's memorable with well-written lyrics and an acoustic/alternative feel. This album has longevity.

Showbread - No Sir, Nihilism is not Practical

This was Showbread at the top of their game. I love Anorexia Nervosa but I don't think they're ever going to top Nihilism. This is one of those albums that I can listen to all the way through. So good.

Switchfoot - Nothing is Sound

I'll probably take some heat for this one from people who are Switchfoot fans but I have to say: this album blows all of their others away completely. I think it caught some flak in Christian circles for not being "Christian" enough and for its overall mood being a litlte darker than their previous releases but I think this album benefits greatly from it. There are some fantastic rock songs on here (Stars, We Are One Tonight, Politicians, Easier than Love) but the slower stuff is what really grabbed me about this album. Songs like The Fatal Wound, Happy is a Yuppie Word and most of all, The Blues, are probably some of Jon Foreman and co's strongest work. It may not be the popular opinion in light of how well The Beautiful Letdown sold, but I will fight anyone who tries to tell me Nothing is Sound was a bad album.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby KagayakiWashi » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:08 pm

Mannheim Steamroller - Fresh Aire II:
Of all the Fresh Aire releases, I think this one is the best. It plays on a certain theme (one Chip wrote when he was SEVEN) the whole time and the CD flows really well. It has a bunch of the Mannheim Steamroller-isms (the drums, harpsichord, and sythnthesizer), and even the slow tracks sound great.

The Brothers Martin - The Brothers Martin:
The sound of this albun is just awesome. If you didn't know it's Ronnie an Jason Martin of Joy Electric and Starflyer 59. It has a real 80's retro feel to it and there aren't any throw away tracks (except for maybe track 3), but the drums, synthesizer, and guitar all come together to bring this really awesome sound that I wish I could find elsewhere

The Works of Igor Stravinksy - Igor Stravinsky/Robert Craft:
Ok, this is kinda cheap, but it's a 22 CD set.......released for $32. That's right. Probably 85-90% of Igor Stravinsky's works conducted by the man himself. Heck yes. The man who pretty much ushered in the modern period of music from the more classical style, this is something everyone who lovs music should own. Too bad it's almost impossible to find now.

Microphone Music - The Raymond Scott Quintette:
This is the man responsible for all those crazy familiar tunes to my childhood favorite cartoons. He didn't compose for cartoons, but his music was used alot, and I'm sure everyone here knows "Powerhouse" without realizing it (google it, and Raymond Scott, I cannot stress enough the importance of this man).
The man was a freakin' genius who never wrote down music, and one of the last tracks shows that. This CD set (2-disc) compiles most of his well known music and is accompanied by a huge set of liner notes that is almost a book. And for recordings done in the 30s/40s, it sounds pretty dang good.

The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table - Rick Wakeman
That might be one of the longest titles ever for an album. It's hard to describe this album. It's progressive rock......geeky......songs about King Arthur. Some of them are so bad it's hilarious, but something that changes styles as much as "Merlin the Magician"......that track is just epicness at it's epoch. The solo chorus at the beginning.....going into some mystical sounding music, then synth/guitar, back to the mystical stuff, and then into banjos/toy piano. Really something everyone should hear.

Batman - Danny Elfman
This is my absolute favorite soundtrack. Danny's music is just gloriously magnificent.....dark....triumphant.....zany......everything. I think this is Danny at the top of his game....and he couldn't even write in the bass clef at the time! (so I've heard). The music just psyches you up and the theme (which is actually borrowed from Herrmann's "Journey to the Center of the Earth), is probably Batman's greatest and most recognized theme.

Flood - They Might be Giants
Really, the CD is just so much fun. "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)", "Particle Man", "Women and Men".....is there a bad song on this album? Why is it a masterpiece? Because it's FUN! It's just a really, really fun album to listen through!

Cowboy Bebop O.S.T. 1 - Yoko Kanno and The Seatbelts
Man, this CD is nearly perfect (if not perfection itself as a CD). It's got the upbeat jazzy big band tracks, the slower guitar tracks, harmonica......and who couldn't like the insanely awesome, ska sounding "Bad Dog, No Biscuits"?! The only "real" vocal on here is "Rain".....which itself is a masterpiece.....organs....electric guitar....oh yes. This is an album EVERYONE SHOULD OWN!

And the number one masterpiece........at least on my list
Hot Rats - Frank Zappa
I can't really describe this album.....it's just insanely awesome. The horns and guitar.......just....wow. There's several really long tracks on here that are so good, you wish they could last forever....and it all comes together as this great sound to hear. I've listened to this album over and over, and it just doesn't get old. As Frank describes in the liner notes it is a "movie for your ears".
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby ich1990 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Well, I can think of a few "Masterpieces", but the two that pop right into my head are:

"Son I Loved you at Your Darkest" by As Cities Burn

This album has extremely masterful lyrics and an original sound to go along with it. This is perhaps the only band that can write lyrics that are overtly Christian without sounding annoying or preachy. The words cover a range of heavy topics, touch upon despair, are full of self-loathing (read: honesty), and are capped with awe that comes from experiencing forgiveness. The music is likewise emotional with twin guitars that wander aimlessly through a series of notes -- and end up complementing the vocals perfectly. The twin vocalists cover both ends of the spectrum, with one screaming most of the time and one singing most of the time. Some people may have a hard time getting used to the dry sounding screams, and slightly chaotic music structure, but the lyrics will win anyone over. It is easily on my top 5 albums of all time list. It is sad that so few people have heard of this band.

"Come Now Sleep" by As Cities Burn

What? Two albums from the same band on a "Masterpieces" list? Yes. This second album is every bit as good as their debut, but for slightly different reasons. The screams are totally absent, which could be a plus or a minus depending on who you are talking to. Instead, the album is purely melodius and extremely soothing. The honest lyrics and random double guitars are still the driving force of the album, and, despite the changes in bandmembers, it is perfect. If you don't like screaming, buy this album. If you do, buy the above. You really can't go wrong in my opinion.

http://www.purevolume.com/ascitiesburn
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby That Dude » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:30 am

I Am Hollywood - He Is Legend.
This album is one of the best hardcore/screamo CD's ever made. Awesome vocals, fun as all heck sing along lyrics, energy that makes you want to move. Amazing breakdowns, diverse instrumentals. This CD is just plain awesome.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby everdred12a » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:10 am

I don't agree with a single album on this list except for Catch For Us The Foxes and The Shape of Punk to Come.

I say these two because Catch For Us The Foxes is quite possibly the most perfect album mewithoutYou has released. I'm reluctant to even say this album is a masterpiece, however, because it hasn't necessarily set a genre-defining precedent quite like The Shape of Punk to Come has.

There's nothing to be said about this album that Kkun hasn't already said, but he's entirely right - The Shape of Punk to Come laid the foundations for modern posthardcore whether you know it or not.

The only album I care to contribute to this list is "Suffer" by Bad Religion. While it's not my favorite of the band's records, Suffer is widely regarded as one of the albums that helped save the SoCal Hardcore Punk scene and is held by many as one of the best punk records of the 80's.

everdred12a

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:30 am

Anberlin -- Cities
This album is perfect as far as I'm concerned. XD I love it so much. Every song has something to add, and it all fits the album so well.

Mae -- The Everglow
Absolutely the best of Mae's work, and probably the last truly good thing we'll ever see from them. The musical quality, the lyrics, and the story-like way the album is put together definitely makes this Mae's best, and one of my all-time favorite albums, regardless of what I think of them now. XD

Jimmy Eat World -- Futures
I like a lot of Jimmy Eat World's stuff, and I loved the more recent "Chase This Light," but I definitely think that Futures is the best of their work thus far.

I agree 100% on Showbread's No Sir Nihilism (though I think there's definitely room to call A/N a masterpiece too, but that's just me XD) and mewithoutYou's Catch For Us the Foxes. I'd like to put down a few Thrice CDs, but honestly, I can't decide which one. XDD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kkun » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:32 am

everdred12a (post: 1264256) wrote:I don't agree with a single album on this list except for Catch For Us The Foxes and The Shape of Punk to Come.

I say these two because Catch For Us The Foxes is quite possibly the most perfect album mewithoutYou has released. I'm reluctant to even say this album is a masterpiece, however, because it hasn't necessarily set a genre-defining precedent quite like The Shape of Punk to Come has.

There's nothing to be said about this album that Kkun hasn't already said, but he's entirely right - The Shape of Punk to Come laid the foundations for modern posthardcore whether you know it or not.

The only album I care to contribute to this list is "Suffer" by Bad Religion. While it's not my favorite of the band's records, Suffer is widely regarded as one of the albums that helped save the SoCal Hardcore Punk scene and is held by many as one of the best punk records of the 80's.

I think what we're talking about is a difference in what makes something a "masterpiece." I don't think a masterpiece has to necessarily be genre-defining: I think it is an album that defines that artist. So while, for instance, Burn, Piano Island, Burn may not be a better record than Catch For Us the Foxes or The Shape of Punk to Come, it's definitely The Blood Brothers' masterpiece album.

Also, considering I know for a fact that you haven't listened to most of the albums that you're trying to knock down, how can you say that?

So......I disagree. <3 u.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby everdred12a » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:03 am

Kkun (post: 1264262) wrote:I think what we're talking about is a difference in what makes something a "masterpiece." I don't think a masterpiece has to necessarily be genre-defining: I think it is an album that defines that artist. So while, for instance, Burn, Piano Island, Burn may not be a better record than Catch For Us the Foxes or The Shape of Punk to Come, it's definitely The Blood Brothers' masterpiece album.

Also, considering I know for a fact that you haven't listened to most of the albums that you're trying to knock down, how can you say that?

So......I disagree. <3 u.

I think that there's a difference between a masterpiece an a band's greatest album. I can agree with most of the CD's on this list - especially things like Burn, Piano Island, Burn and Cities - but that doesn't necessarily make them masterpieces.

A masterpiece should really sort of be more than a band's greatest album - things like The Shape of Punk to Come and Suffer. Does it necessarily have to be genre-defining? No, but it helps.

By the logic most of the posts in here exhibit, I could say that Blackout by Britney Spears is the greatest album in the world and therefore a masterpiece. Does that make it true? Not by a longshot. I just feel that if an album is to be considered a masterpiece it needs to be a bit more than just the best album a band put out.

And while no, I may not have listened to every album on this list, there are a few that I can certainly say aren't necessarily masterpieces. Nu-En-Jin, for example, may be a great record. It may have every song on it being single-level material, but it's still nothing more than Mortal's best record. Compare it to Pretty Hate Machine by Nine Inch Nails. Here we have a record that is considered to be the record that popularized the industrial genre. I think that makes Pretty Hate Machine much more qualified to be considered a masterpiece than Nu-En-Jin.

However, I have to say this - Burn, Piano Island, Burn could well be considered a masterpiece among Johnny Whitney's work. I certainly think the album is better than the Jaguar Love album, but then again I supppose we need to leave Johnny Whitney some time to expand his catalogue before we can really say for certain.

The problem I have with this thread is that it was started as a masterpiece thread but has essentially been bastardized into a 'best album by X band' thread.

Love you, too, J, but I disagree.

everdred12a

Postby That Dude » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:07 am

I intended it to be a "best album by X band, and here's why, fill in the blank why you think so." Though it's more than fine putting genre defining albums up and explaining why you think they defined the genre or set the stage for things to come, that's why I put up "Jesus Freak" it was a major turning point in christian music.
That Dude

Postby everdred12a » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:30 pm

See, then I think you should have labeled your thread "Best Albums" or something to that effect.

everdred12a

Postby That Dude » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:40 pm

Well it's to late now.
That Dude

Postby rocklobster » Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:05 pm

Extreme--III Sides to Every Story
Every song on this CD is just great introspective music. The songs are mostly thought-provoking and I enjoy every single one of them.
Pink Floyd--The Wall
A great look into the downward spiral of madness. And what a mind @#%^ of a movie this made too!
Pink Floyd--Dark Side of the Moon
Classic Pink Floyd. No need for an explanation.
Def Leppard--Hysteria
Def Leppard at their rocking best. Great guitar solos, great songs, great everything.
Def Leppard--Slang
Their first album after Steve Clarke died. Some great dark songs and we get to see they made a good choice with his replacement, Vivian Campbell.
Red Hot Chilli Peppers--Stadium Arcadium
This double CD shows the Chili Peppers at their best. It's got everything that makes the Chili Peppers what they are. No songs really stand out, but it's definitely worth a listen.

Might add more later.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:10 pm

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
I will never tire of listening to this album. Each song is so good that it's hard for me even to pick out favorites. I still love Linkin Park, but neither of their other albums have quite hit the level of Hybrid Theory.

Evanescence - Fallen
Similarly, each song is so good it's hard to choose favorites. I never say "Oh, I don't like that track, let's skip it."

Skillet - Comatose
Again, an amazing album that is full of great songs. I go to list my favorite tracks, then realize that I've just named them all. My only problem with it is that I think the album should have ended with "Whispers in the Dark".

Within Temptation - The Silent Force
While my favorites in this album are much more defined, even the songs I don't count as my favorites are really good.

Good Charlotte - The Chronicles of Life and Death
This may seem like an odd choice, but I love this whole album because it helped me deal with a bout of depression by making me think of a story that was depressing but had a happy ending.

Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage :rock:
:evil: While this album only has eight tracks, I don't complain because each one is around six minutes long, and is full of everything that makes Dragonforce amazing. When I listened to it the first time, I couldn't stop grinning.

Antonio Vivaldi - Four Seasons
Sheer simplistic beauty. This is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. My favorite part is the Spring Presto.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:22 pm

Anberlin - Cities

Alice Cooper - Most everything he's ever done, ESPECIALLY the albums following his conversion to Christ. Sorry, I just couldn't pick a single favorite.

DragonForce - Sonic Firestorm

Inhuman Rampage was a great album, but this one for some reason remains the one that finds its way into my CD player the most. My Spirit Goes On tops The Fire and the Flames hands down for me.

Evanescence - Fallen

The inclusion of this one could have a lot to do with the fact it was one of the first albums I ever owned back when I actually started getting into music for the first time, but I still love it after all this time.

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory

Nightwish - Century Child

Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

Doesn't top Century Child for me, but Nightwish managed to remain unphased by the loss of their lead singer and came out with one of their most amazing works to date.

Thursday - War All The Time

Weird Al Yankovic - Bad Hair Day

TobyMac - Welcome to Diverse City

God used this album to minister to me before when I was going through a tough time. This one holds a special place to me for this reason.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby That Dude » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:42 am

Let It Happen - MxPx.

This CD is the definative CD for an amazing and it has everything that a fan could want. Ballads, fast songs, hard songs, silly songs, serious songs, coming in with 32 tracks on this CD means that really there's something for everyone and even though the production is scratchy (it's a b-sides and rarities album) it just makes it that much better, it catches the fun raw feel of the album.
That Dude

Postby Tommy » Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:45 pm

Between the Buried and Me- Colors
I felt like this CD was a hit or miss for this band.
They were previously a Tech Death Metal/Metalcore band that hadn't really done anything too original. When they decided to become a more progressive metal band with songs that clocked over 10 minutes long, I got really iffy but I find Colors to be a true success.
Their songs were each beautifully written. From the piano intro of the first track to the piano outro of the last track I still feel like this album flowed perfectly as one huge song.
The covered ranges of different genres from thrash to metalcore to melodic death metal to blue grass (lawlz).
Overall, just a beautiful album.

I second Corrie's submission of various Thrice albums and nodding of Catch For Us the Foxes as well as Kkun's mentioning of The Shape of Punk to Come.
If Refused didn't release that record, I highly doubt No Sir.. would even exist.

Also, I'd love to add everything Dispatch has ever done.
I own all of their studio albums, but they really shined live.
There are a lot of live versions of their songs out there that are just truly outstanding.
I think they left a HUGE impact on the music industry and I believe everything Chad, Pete, and Brad played was just art in its truest form.
I'm not too big of a fan of any of their solo projects.
They're like DC Talk.
Together=Amazing, Not together= Epic fail.

Except Dispatch's solo projects are at the very least decent.
In all honesty, I think Dispatch still remains one of the most talented bands and I haven't heard a band yet that can harmonize quite as well as them.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Return to Jam Session