Underoath - Lost in the Sounds of Separation

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Underoath - Lost in the Sounds of Separation

Postby Kkun » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:16 pm

Bravo, gentlemen.

Bravo.

EDIT: I guess that's vague. What I'm trying to convey to you is that I think I like this record more than the last record and I REALLY liked Define the Great Line.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby ich1990 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:33 pm

Excellent, Define the Great Line is my favorite Underoath Cd. I will have to purchase this one post-haste.

Sinner by Ted Dekker and LitSoS by Underoath, were both released today. I pity the person who can't buy both.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Kkun » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:39 pm

Nice. The new record is good. It feels like Define part 2 but I think it succeeds in some areas where Define kind of failed, as much as I liked that record. This one just feels tighter but it has a similar use of sonic space where the songs convey a tangible sense of depth and width. I'll have more to say after I listen to it a few more times.
Kkun

Postby Tommy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:55 pm

Haven't gotten it yet.
One September 2nd, I got the new BBABH.

I will be buying this though.
Best Buy for $7.99

I'm there.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby ich1990 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:32 pm

Best Buy for $8? Man, I bought it for $14 at Walmart.

Upon several listens, I think that I like this album slightly less than DtGL. I personally enjoyed DtGL melodic, meandering style more than the concentrated doses of chaos and screams that dominate LitSoS. It is not bad, not by a long shot, but DtGL still stands as my favorite Underoath Album.

On a sidenote, does anyone else think that the drums are amazing on this new cd?
ich1990

Postby Kkun » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:28 pm

I do think the drums are amazing on this new CD. To be honest, I'm surprised that I like it as much as I do (or DtGL for that matter...I was not a fan of They're Only Chasing Safety...it took me about a year to not hate it and now I still only like a handful of songs from it...their best material is still Cries of the Past, Act of Depression, and about half of The Changing of Times but what can do you when your original lead vocalist leaves?). I think what I dig about it IS the concentrated chaos. That's always been an aspect of modern metalcore (at least insofar as the more punk rock stuff is concerned a la The Chariot and Every Time I Die) that is a favorite of mine.
Kkun

Postby Doubleshadow » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:30 pm

Woohoo. Once I get my budget back on track, I'll be looking for this one. :}
[color="Red"]As a man thinks in his heart, so is he. - Proverbs 23:7[/color]

The Sundries
Robin: "If we close our eyes, we can't see anything."
Batman: "A sound observation, Robin."
Doubleshadow

Postby Tommy » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:29 pm

Omigosh I heart this album.

Cries of the Past > Lost in the Sounds of Separation > The Changing of Times > Define The Great Line > Act of Depression > They're Only Chasing Safety

Basically, this is the one album since Dallas left that really shines to me.
Plus, unlike on their last CD, Chris Dudley isn't a waste of skin. :D
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby ich1990 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:41 pm

I must confess that I jumped on the Underoath bandwagon with "They're Only Chasing Safety". Back then, I had little to zero interest in "screaming music", so I bought it because of the emo vocals and poppy choruses. Since then, my tastes have changed significantly, and I dislike the cd for the emo vocals and poppy choruses.

Either way, I haven't worked up the funds or the courage to buy the old Underoath albums. I have been told that they are excellent, but I don't really want to risk my money on something that I haven't listened to. As of yet I haven't found any sound samples.

Define the Great Line > Lost in the Sound of Seperation > They're Only Chasing Safety
ich1990

Postby That Dude » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:14 am

I need to give it a few more listens, but honestly right now I'm not really liking it that much, it sounds to forced and just feels like a weird fit for them. It's still really good, just not as much as some of their other stuff. I'll let you know if I change my mind after more listens though.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Tommy » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:37 am

ich1990 (post: 1259383) wrote:I must confess that I jumped on the Underoath bandwagon with "They're Only Chasing Safety". Back then, I had little to zero interest in "screaming music", so I bought it because of the emo vocals and poppy choruses. Since then, my tastes have changed significantly, and I dislike the cd for the emo vocals and poppy choruses.

Either way, I haven't worked up the funds or the courage to buy the old Underoath albums. I have been told that they are excellent, but I don't really want to risk my money on something that I haven't listened to. As of yet I haven't found any sound samples.

Define the Great Line > Lost in the Sound of Seperation > They're Only Chasing Safety

The only one you can physically by without sacrificing an arm or leg is The Changing of Times.
The other two is out of print.
Act of Depression was decent, but it was too repetitive, sloppy and the lyrics were "less mature."

Cries of the Past still stands out to me today as their best work.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby That Dude » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:14 am

I think I'm one of the few people who enjoy Spencer's vocals more than Dallas's.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby That Dude » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:00 pm

Ok, I've given it a few more listens and my opinion has changed dramatically. While I miss some the fun sing-alongness found in their last two albums I've got to say that this CD does kick some major booty. It's really rad and I think that it has the best lyrics since Spence has been in the band.
That Dude

Postby ich1990 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:26 am

That Dude (post: 1261601) wrote:Ok, I've given it a few more listens and my opinion has changed dramatically. While I miss some the fun sing-alongness found in their last two albums I've got to say that this CD does kick some major booty. It's really rad and I think that it has the best lyrics since Spence has been in the band.

Yah, the cd really grows on you. The lyrics and drums have definitely been kicked up a few notches since the last album.

Lost in the Sound of Seperation = Define the Great Line > They're Only Chasing Saftey
ich1990

Postby RobinSena » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:58 am

I listened to around 8 of their new songs when they had the whole album up on their myspace. I enjoyed it, but it didn't seem that much different from DtGL.. There was more singing, which was nice.

LitSoS > DtGl > TOCS > Anything with Dallas. IMHO, of course.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Tommy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:47 pm

That Dude (post: 1259609) wrote:I think I'm one of the few people who enjoy Spencer's vocals more than Dallas's.

I like Spencer's vocals on the past two albums better than Dallas'.
I never would have admitted it before.

Dallas sounded BAD on Act of Depression.
He sounded amazing on Cries on the Past, but he kinda just sounded monotone of Changing of Times.

Spencer sounded BAD on They're Only Chasing Safety (except I liked his vocals a bit on "It's Dangerous Buisness...").

Basically, anyone with the name "Dallas Taylor" belongs in a Southern Rock band. Hm...

Anyways I adore Dallas and Spencer, but with the direction Underoath was going, things would've been weird if Dallas was still in.
Spencer is perfect for the band's new sound.

EDIT: I loved the lyrics alot more on this album until I found out a line I thought was "riddled with disease" turned out to be "riddled with dizzy." Weird.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby RobinSena » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:47 am

TeeLay (post: 1262050) wrote:Basically, anyone with the name "Dallas Taylor" belongs in a Southern Rock band. Hm...

Anyways I adore Dallas and Spencer, but with the direction Underoath was going, things would've been weird if Dallas was still in.
Spencer is perfect for the band's new sound.

+1

I enjoy Dallas in his current band much more than when he was in UO. I just don't think he'd be able to fit with their current sound.
FKA: ChurchPunk[SIZE="1"]
MOES: Sig. Or sig not. There is no scroll.
[/SIZE]
RobinSena

Postby Tommy » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:39 pm

Well, I don't know if I enjoy Maylene more than the Dallas Taylor era of Underoath because that's like comparing In Flames with Lynard Skynard.

Personally, I think Dallas was perfect for the Underoath era he was in, but it truly was "The Changing of Times" in the sense where he had to leave because the band was revamping everything.

Dallas WAS perfect in old Underoath. Dallas IS perfect for Maylene.
Spencer WAS perfect for This Runs Through. Spencer is PERFECT for Underoath.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Return to Jam Session