Anberlin -- New Surrender

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Anberlin -- New Surrender

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:11 pm

Oh my gosh I am so stoked for this new CD. And here we have the tracklist:

01) The Resistence
02) Breaking
03) Blame Me! Blame Me!
04) Retrace
05) Feel Good Drag
06) Disappear
07) Breathe
08) Burn Out Brighter (Northern Lights)
09) Younglife
10) Haight St.
11) Soft Skeletons
12) Misearbile Visu (ex malo bonum)

They re-did The Feel Good Drag. AHGDJSKGHDS. I'm so excited. September 30th needs to get here. Like, now.

Discuss! XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby eternalprincess » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:18 pm

I'm so stoked too! XD I cannot wait for this. How unfortunate that I have too, though. XDD

I like Disappear. <3

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby LadyRushia » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:51 pm

I like Disappear; hopefully the rest of it is just as good.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Kkun » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:25 pm

Disappear freaking rules. I can't wait to hear the rest of the record and see them again in the fall.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby guitargeekette » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:23 pm

LOVE Disappear...man, that album is gonna rule.
Perfecting the art of being me...:jump:

http://guitargeekette.deviantart.com/
Check out my artwork if you like.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
guitargeekette

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:20 pm

Dissapear is pwning my myspace page this isntant with its awesomeness. I am very excited.
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby HiddenWoodchuck » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:46 pm

Awesome! I didn't know anything about a new album... gosh, it is so hard to keep up with all the music I like... gaaaaah! Thanks for the info! :)
Per his request, this user has been temporarily banned
HiddenWoodchuck

Postby ich1990 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:08 am

I am kind of iffy on Anberlin. At first, I extremely disliked them, perhaps this was due to the way my friends and siblings played songs like "A Day Late" five kajillion times a day and the main singer insisted on singing in falsetto all the time (listen to the otherwise decent "Ready Fuels").

Later, however, I heard songs like "Paperthin Hymns" and realized that this band was not just another dime a dozen sing-like-a-girl-about-girls-so-girls-will-like-me band, but actually had some sort of deapth as far as lyrics and music are concerned. So far, I like the majority of Cities and a few songs from BFtBM and NtFP.

As for the new song, I am dissapointed. The intro is pretty cool and the verses have a electronic sound that is awesome, but the chorus is completely generic.

As for the lyrics, they are pretty decent. They follow the generic "I put my trust in humans and got stabbed in the back for it", but the sinisterly dark edge to them, such as "dark lit streets are no place for kids, but it gives us more of a home than you ever did" saves them from mediocrity.

I don't think that the tone of the music matches the tone of the lyrics. This could be to give it an ironic edge such as "Hello Alone" but that doesn't seem to be the case. Ultimately, I don't see anything that really sets this song apart from anything else in the genre.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Kkun » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:31 am

I have to totally disagree with you about the chorus. This is all my opinion, but the chorus really jumped out at me. I think Stephen's voice is the best and strongest it's been in a long time and I don't think the chorus is generic at all. I'm listening to it now trying to figure out what you're talking about. The intro/verse are cool but for me, it's where the chorus begins that the song really kicks. Stephen's raised volume on the "Alone, left alone, watch us slowly disappear with time" part totally grabbed my attention. I haven't given the lyrics a great deal of consideration yet and probably won't until the album comes out when I can hear it with the rest of the album.
Kkun

Postby ich1990 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 am

It must be differing artistic preferences, because I listened to the song a couple more times and I still say that the chorus is the most generic/weakest part of the whole song.

I can't pin-point exactly what it is that kills the chorus, but I am guessing it has something to do with the way the chorus sounds like a louder version of the verse, only less complex/flavorful. I prefer it when the chorus adds something unique to the song, but in this case it seems to just blast a more simplified version of the overall verse "sound". The whole intro builds nicely towards the chorus..... then when the chorus finally hits it is all the more dissapointing because I was hoping that it would be something original: something that would take the verse "sound" and then build on it rather than reduce it. Artistic preferences I guess. Either way, one song is not going to kill the album by itself.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Felix » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:30 pm

Disappear is stellar and it makes me very very happy. For my 3 cents, I think the chorus is simply kickin'. If the rest of the CD echoes Disappear then it looks like it will be a more than worthy next rung on the ladder of Anberlin awesomeness. I'm stoked!
Felix

Postby Kuro-Mizu » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:54 pm

ich1990 (post: 1245384) wrote:singer insisted on singing in falsetto all the time (listen to the otherwise decent "Ready Fuels").

Just listened...

I don't think thats falsetto, isn't that just his voice?????

even if it is falsetto it sounds great so who cares?
CAA does the FACE!
ImageImageImage
Formerly Known As Vernhal
//My Devart\\//My Sheezyart\\
Kuro-Mizu

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:10 am

Kuro-Mizu (post: 1248084) wrote:Just listened...

I don't think thats falsetto, isn't that just his voice?????

even if it is falsetto it sounds great so who cares?

Yah, pretty much agree with that. XD I think it's pretty rare that Stephen Christian sings falsetto at all, and when he does, it doesn't sound bad (Unwinding Cable Car, yeah? Yeah). XD
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:32 am

Feel Good Drag's getting redone? Sick. Let's hope it comes out just as good if not better than before. I loved Disappear, so I'm stoked for this album.

Does anyone know why/when they switched labels though? I noticed that they're with Universal Republic instead of Tooth and Nail now and wondered.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby MBlight » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:06 am

What?!? They switched??? That means our South African importer won't bring it in any more :bang:

Dissapear does sound really cool! I'll have to make quick plan to get hold of it!!!
I am a Rat Activist!

My Blog: http://mhitchens.wordpress.com

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Proud member of MOES!
MBlight

Postby yukoxholic » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:23 am

Radical Dreamer (post: 1244556) wrote:Oh my gosh I am so stoked for this new CD. And here we have the tracklist:

01) The Resistence
02) Breaking
03) Blame Me! Blame Me!
04) Retrace
05) Feel Good Drag
06) Disappear
07) Breathe
08) Burn Out Brighter (Northern Lights)
09) Younglife
10) Haight St.
11) Soft Skeletons
12) Misearbile Visu (ex malo bonum)

They re-did The Feel Good Drag. AHGDJSKGHDS. I'm so excited. September 30th needs to get here. Like, now.

Discuss! XD

I've always been a little iffy on Anberlin too. I've enjoyed all of there albums from Blueprints for the Black Market, Never Take Friendship Personal, Cities and Lost Songs. I really respect Stephen Christian's songwriting (almost as much as Jon Foreman's). Lost Songs even though it was a compilation of cover songs, unreleased material and songs from there older and newest albums I really enjoyed it. Hearing songs acoustic/raw have always been a treat for my ears. The one thing that has always bugged me about this band is that most of there songs sound the same. Not saying that they don't have some fantastic songs and stand out tracks but I've grown a little tired of hearing the same drum line and guitar riff numerous times, when I'm listening to the next track I think I'm still listening to the same track. Could just be me though. I really enjoyed "disappear" its a breath of fresh air to me sounds different from there other stuff but that is just one song of 12 so I'll have to wait until I purchase the album to give an opinion. I'm really hoping with Anberlin's newest album New Surrender releasing soon that they'll take some risks and break some new ground. I'm hoping to hear something I haven't already heard before.

I'm a huge fan of Anchor & Braille Christian's solo project. Don't know if anyone has checked that out yet. :) That's my two cents it isn't worth much. :rock:
yukoxholic

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:35 am

yukoxholic (post: 1249496) wrote:I've always been a little iffy on Anberlin too. I've enjoyed all of there albums from Blueprints for the Black Market, Never Take Friendship Personal, Cities and Lost Songs. I really respect Stephen Christian's songwriting (almost as much as Jon Foreman's). Lost Songs even though it was a compilation of cover songs, unreleased material and songs from there older and newest albums I really enjoyed it. Hearing songs acoustic/raw have always been a treat for my ears. The one thing that has always bugged me about this band is that most of there songs sound the same. Not saying that they don't have some fantastic songs and stand out tracks but I've grown a little tired of hearing the same drum line and guitar riff numerous times, when I'm listening to the next track I think I'm still listening to the same track. Could just be me though. I really enjoyed "disappear" its a breath of fresh air to me sounds different from there other stuff but that is just one song of 12 so I'll have to wait until I purchase the album to give an opinion. I'm really hoping with Anberlin's newest album New Surrender releasing soon that they'll take some risks and break some new ground. I'm hoping to hear something I haven't already heard before.

I'm a huge fan of Anchor & Braille Christian's solo project. Don't know if anyone has checked that out yet. :) That's my two cents it isn't worth much. :rock:

I dunno, I'd have to disagree. I think they have plenty of variety in their music. Maybe I've just listened to the CDs too much (XD), but I can definitely tell one song they write from the next. XD

Also, Anchor & Braille FTW. XD I've heard a number of songs and I'm currently waiting for the CD to finally release. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby That Dude » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:26 pm

That's pretty rad that they are coming out with a new cd soon.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Lengai » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:23 pm

I'm psyched. Anberlin is my favorite band. I also LOVE the cover for 'New Surrender'. I would totally buy a poster of that.
He is God / In His purpose / I will stand / I've been renewed by Him alone / We've been made by the Maker / Bought by the Buyer Broken / by the Breaker / I am His.
My Art
Lengai

Postby Tommy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:55 am

The only two Anberlin songs too me that sound too similar are "The Paperthin Hymn" and "Change the World (Lost Ones)."

They're both good songs, but they sound quite similar.

I can't see this album being much better than "Cities" because that record was phenomenal, but we'll see.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Pyro_artist » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:20 am

Sweet! I can't wait.

Whens it coming out, you know?
Pyro_artist

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Pyro_artist (post: 1253868) wrote:Sweet! I can't wait.

Whens it coming out, you know?

It's slated for release on September 30th!

Radical Dreamer

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:07 am

They've posted the new 'Feel Good Drag' on their myspace now. It's good, different enough to be different, but still definitely the FGD we all know.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
SnoringFrog

Postby Cognitive Gear » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:23 am

Wow. The new Feel Good Drag is amazing.

September 30th cannot get here quickly enough.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Kkun » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:26 am

I have to be the voice of dissent and say that I like the original more. The production is smoother on the new one but the performance just feels less tight. I'm going to give it time, though. I still want this album really badly. : (
Kkun

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:29 am

Cognitive Gear (post: 1254363) wrote:September 30th cannot get here quickly enough.

I concur.

If only there weren't so many sick CDs coming out soon/that just came out. Dangit...I could go through a ton of money on all this. Anberlin, Inhale/Exhale newish one, Underoath, and idk who else anymore...

I don't think this FGD can replace the original, but it's not completely overshadowed by it either. I think it's gonna be one where it just matters which you're in the mood for, really.
SnoringFrog

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:56 pm

Thoughts on the new Feel Good Drag:

• I like it, though I like the original better. It's catchy and I'm glad it's going on the radio, though I can't believe this is this first time Anberlin's been on the radio; they should be so much bigger than they are! XD
  • I wish they sang it less smoothly and more like the original, though.
  • Lack of screaming on the line "discourse your saving song" is FALE.

The album leaked, so I've been listening to songs here and there. I love it so far; not as much as Cities, but it's definitely great! I'll hold off on more opinionage until later, though. XD

Radical Dreamer

Postby SnoringFrog » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Radical Dreamer (post: 1254420) wrote:Thoughts on the new Feel Good Drag:

• I like it, though I like the original better. It's catchy and I'm glad it's going on the radio, though I can't believe this is this first time Anberlin's been on the radio]I wish they sang it less smoothly and more like the original, though.
  • Lack of screaming on the line "discourse your saving song" is FALE.

The album leaked, so I've been listening to songs here and there. I love it so far; not as much as Cities, but it's definitely great! I'll hold off on more opinionage until later, though. XD

It's not their first time on the radio..."Unwinding Cable Car" has been on plenty, and I know I've heard "Change the World" a few times, and I think one more. Perhaps it's their first time on secular/mainstream radio, but I've heard them plenty on Air One for a few years.

And I didn't even catch the lack of the scream...ugh. I like it alot less now, thanks. Haha. That line was sick in the original.
SnoringFrog

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:12 am

Listening to the leaked version, I'd say it's my second favorite next to Cities.

I can't wait to buy the album. It's going to get a good spin in my car's CD player.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby Tommy » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:59 pm

I can't wait to do my ear drums a favor and listen to this potentially scrumptious meal of music.

I already predict this will be my second favorite Anberlin compact disc.
Sorry dudes, I love you, but I can't see this being remotely anywhere near as amazing as Cities.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Next

Return to Jam Session