Trance anyone?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Trance anyone?

Postby everdred12a » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:49 pm

Well, not just trance. Anyone out there into electronic music in general? Trance, hardcore, breaks, electronica; or maybe something like industrial? Just curious. I'm almost positive I'll see Ghostonthenet and maybe MSP in here, but I almost never see any of this kind of music in the 'What are you listening to now?' and 'Last CD you bought' threads. I kinda feel like if there are electronic music fans out there, we should have our own thread to discuss it in (like how there's 'Headbangers United').

everdred12a

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:00 pm

You know me and my love for techno \o.o/ Trance is fine to, but I like lyrics with mine ^_^ Yeah, I've posted up DJ Satomi (Castle In The Sky and Waves and Wonderland), but I don't think I've seen any other techno/trance lovers out there ^ ^;
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:18 am

[quote="everdred12a (post: 1207207)"]Well, not just trance. Anyone out there into electronic music in general? Trance, hardcore, breaks, electronica] Your suspicions that I would chime into this thread are quite accurate. I am utterly convinced that the synthesizer and the electric guitar are God's gift to modern and postmodern man to keep him sane and to buffer him from tearing our world apart. Here in America, we've made a lot of music based on the electric guitar, but we still haven't quite adapted to the sound of synthesizers. Indeed, a lot of synthesizer-based music seems to build on the fact that synthesized sounds are alien to our ears to play on emotions of novelty and excitement, or fear and alienation. I listen to a lot of Electronic music genres, and my favorites are Electro-Goth, Darkwave, Industrial, EBM, Electro, Synthpop, Futurepop, New Wave, Electronic (IDM, Glitch, and Breakcore), and Ambient. On a less frequent basis, I will listen to New Age, Drum & Bass, Techno, and Trance, although personal reservations about certain aspects of these genres as a whole keeps me from getting too attatched to them. I think the common link to the kind of Electronic music I most enjoy is that it was all inspired by musicians involved in the Punk and Glam rock movements who realized the sheer sonic potential Synthesizers gave them to explore new frontiers in music making.

[quote="Tsukuyomi (post: 1207213)"]You know me and my love for techno \o.o/ Trance is fine to, but I like lyrics with mine ^_^ Yeah, I've posted up DJ Satomi (Castle In The Sky and Waves and Wonderland), but I don't think I've seen any other techno/trance lovers out there ^ ^] If you like Electronic music with lyrics you should get into Electro and Synthpop music, which is built around the lyrics and has music that is very catchy. I'd recommend you check out The White Beyond by ThouShaltNot, The Evergreen Collection by The Echoing Green, and Christiansongs by Joy Electric.
GhostontheNet

Postby Tommy » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:43 am

Hardcore? Eletronica?

Look up XQuicksilverX or Sky Eats Airplane.
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby everdred12a » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:05 am

TeeLay (post: 1207268) wrote:Hardcore? Eletronica?

Wrong kind of Hardcore, Tom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardcore_techno

[quote="Tsukuyomi"]You know me and my love for techno \o.o/ Trance is fine to, but I like lyrics with mine ^_^ Yeah, I've posted up DJ Satomi (Castle In The Sky and Waves and Wonderland), but I don't think I've seen any other techno/trance lovers out there ^ ^]
In addition to ghost's post, there's also alot of vocal trance out there. Maybe check out the Vocal Trance channel at www.di.fm.

everdred12a

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:37 am

TeeLay (post: 1207268) wrote:Hardcore? Electronica?
Don't even get me started on how many genres are referred to as Hardcore. Depending on whom you're talking to, hardcore music could mean Hardcore Punk, Hardcore Metal, Hardcore Techno, or Hardcore Hip-Hop. In fact, this list doesn't even include musical styles where Hardcore is the second word. Whenever anyone talks about Hardcore Electronica, the genres I always think of are Hardcore Techno, which speeds up the beat to breakneck paces, and Digital Hardcore, which fuses Hardcore Punk with Noise or Power Noise.
GhostontheNet

Postby Kkun » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:06 pm

Digital Hardcore? Tell me more.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Tsukuyomi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:55 pm

I shall try them out :)

Errr, why do I keep thinking "enter" will automatically submit my post :P

I R IMER :eh:
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Kkun (post: 1207315) wrote:Digital Hardcore? Tell me more.
Well, as I said, Digital Hardcore fuses Hardcore Punk with the Industrial subgenres of Noise and Power Noise and the breakneck atonal rhythms of Drum & Bass to make rapid-fire music of machine alienation. The most famous Digital Hardcore act is Atari Teenage Riot, a German Anarcho-Communist Punk band that recruited Noise engineer Nic Endo to supply them with harsh electronics. Atari Teenage Riot became infamous for its mutually antagonistic relationship with the German government. Atari Teenage Riot advocated the violent overthrow of German government in songs like "Burn, Berlin Burn", while Germany in turn banned their Revolution Action music video and sent a horde of fun-loving riot police to an otherwise peaceful performance to assault fans and then crush the ensuing riot (as can be seen on this video, which I should warn contains violence and some foul language). These days, the digital hardcore genre continues to exist through the Digital Hardcore label, which has a website at http://www.digitalhardcore.com/. A good place to start listening to Digital Hardcore music would be the Atari Teenage Riot Myspace profile at http://www.myspace.com/atr922000, although I should warn that the music contains some profanity and violent content.
GhostontheNet

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:30 pm

Does DDR music count? Because DDR music is awesome. 8D
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:52 pm

DDR music encompasses many different genres of electronica, ranging from music like Hard Acid and Bubblegum Pop.

As for me, I'm a big trance guy. ATB, Tiesto, Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk, System F, and Robert Miles are some of my favorites.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby MomoAdachi » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:52 pm

I'm into bubblegum pop and '80s synthesizer-heavy dance music and pop/rock, which is kinda, sorta close to what you're getting at, but not close. I consider synthesizers to be my fave instrument.
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:53 pm

LadyRushia (post: 1207376) wrote:Does DDR music count? Because DDR music is awesome. 8D
Yes, Dance Dance Revolution includes almost every genre of electronic dance music imaginable. What are your favorite songs? I might be able to connect you with music like them.
GhostontheNet

Postby animewarrior » Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:53 pm

I listen to alot of anime remixes in with techno stuff...for stuff with synthesizers I like the band Falling Up's latest turn in music...its considered alternative but its kinda piano + guitar + synthesizers = AWESOMENESS <3 XD http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falling_Up (Note the most trance like stuff is found on their Exit Lights album) but cha I like trance and techno. ^^
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:17 pm

If you want a good guide, check out Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music. Language warning. I also advise you steer away from some of the selections under "Breakbeat".
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Roy Mustang » Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:30 pm

I listen to DDR music, Euro Dance,Techno, Progressive and Trance music.

[color="Red"][font="Book Antiqua"]Col. Roy Mustang[/font][/color]
Roy Mustang

Postby everdred12a » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:35 pm

Ha ha, this thread is taking off. *Happy*

Unfortunately, however, I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been covered by Ghost.

I will, however, say that there are a few good ways to get introduced to these genres. Ghost has his internet radio station linked in his sig. http://www.di.fm isn't a bad place to start, either. It offers a variety of stations each with its own genre of music. And I've personally enjoyed three free podcasts available through the iTunes music store:
Tiesto's Club Life
The Clubland Podcast
A State of Trance Offficial Podcast
I do realize that they might not suit everyone's tastes in music, but I think they're a good (read: free) way to get introduced to all the different kinds of electronic music there is.

everdred12a

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:35 am

Generally, most people start getting into electronica with Epic Trance. Most notable are songs like "Castles in the Sky" or "I'll Fly With You", both by Ian Van Dahl and Gigi D'Agnostino respectively.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:46 am

everdred12a (post: 1207458) wrote:Ha ha, this thread is taking off. *Happy*

Unfortunately, however, I don't really have anything to add that hasn't already been covered by Ghost.

I will, however, say that there are a few good ways to get introduced to these genres. Ghost has his internet radio station linked in his sig.
I'm flattered that you would recommend my Internet Radio station, Batcave Redemption Radio, which can be accessed by clicking here.. My station is (among other goals) dedicated to reviving the musical styles of the Old-school Dark Alternative Underground genres by proving the music is still very relevant to listeners of our time. These include both Guitar-based musical styles like Old-School Goth and Post-Punk, as well as Synthesizer-based Electronic music like Industrial, Darkwave, New Wave, and Electro. For listeners interested in electronic New-School Gothic and Industrial music tailored to the dancefloor, I would recommend tuning into Tormented Radio at http://www.tormentedradio.com . Tormented Radio plays music in the Electro-Goth, Industrial, EBM, Futurepop, and Electro genres, and gives a stark but nice contrast to my own station. However, I will warn my fellow Christians that where I have tried to choose songs for my station that meshed well with my take on the Christian faith, djdead of Tormented Radio plays a good deal of music intended to attack it.
GhostontheNet

Postby Tommy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:00 pm

So XQuicksilverX doesn't count?
http://www.myspace.com/xquicksilverxboston

That sounds like how I would picture Digital Hardcore to sound like.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:09 pm

TeeLay (post: 1207268) wrote:Hardcore? Eletronica?

i love sky eats airplane. XD
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:23 pm

TeeLay (post: 1207608) wrote:So XQuicksilverX doesn't count?

Hardcore does not equal screamo-ish music. I think your perspective of what "hardcore" may be a bit skewed.

Here's a sample of Trancecore:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kuHPjJRwcVM

Example of Hardcore Acid (I think):
http://youtube.com/watch?v=RxLz2fX-o-8

I believe this can be considered hardcore. Ghostonthenet, you may correct me if I'm wrong:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0qQEVK3og-I (Skip to 3:00)
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:23 pm

TeeLay (post: 1207608) wrote:So XQuicksilverX doesn't count?

Although its a little slow for Digital Hardcore music, its similar enough that I'll accept the Digital Hardcore label. Atari Teenage Riot, the band that invented the style in the 90's provides the benchmark of the genre, however.

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Hardcore does not equal screamo-ish music. I think your perspective of what "hardcore" may be a bit skewed.
Your examples show that you are thinking of Hardcore Techno and Hardcore Trance music. The videos you listed are good examples of these genres. However, Digital Hardcore is actually a subgenre of Hardcore Punk, a style of fast-paced Punk Rock pioneered by bands like The Dead Kennedys and Black Flag. Digital Hardcore makes heavy use of synthesizers and drum machines alongside Punk style guitar-work, so it is also a kind of Electronic music.
GhostontheNet

Postby Tsukuyomi » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:49 pm

Hey, I have a techno song I have no clue who it's from or the name of it. Can anyone help o.o?

Here are some of the lyrics :D

I'm in love with you baby. It's driving me crazy. I'm so in love with you.

Love is all that you need. Just give it to me, and I'll make you see there's nothing like it love.
Just reach out and touch. I want you so much
I know you want to do it to
Tsukuyomi

Postby Tommy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:04 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1207657) wrote:Hardcore does not equal screamo-ish music.

Cool, there is nothing screamo about Quicksilver.
That falls under Digital Hardcore pretty well.

I think your perspective of what "hardcore" may be a bit skewed.

I'm pretty sure I'm more knowledgeable in the "hardcore" department.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

I listen to those two songs.
I like the music but I can't get into the vocals at all.
Those songs would be fun on DDR though.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Please do not turn this thread into another "lol which genre is it" debate.

Thank you.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tommy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:02 pm

When people make threads about bands with a specific genre in mind, people will come in and post bands they think is of the genre specified but the "experts" always have to disagree and "educate" them.

That's what happened last time.

This time, I asked if a specific musical project fell under the genre and then I'm told that I don't know what Hardcore is.
XQuicksilverX is hardcore and his use of synth adds trance elements, but as said before is more slow-paced than most Trancecore, so it's difficult to put a label on it.
FKA Tom Dincht

Tommy

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:22 pm

TeeLay (post: 1207814) wrote:When people make threads about bands with a specific genre in mind, people will come in and post bands they think is of the genre specified but the "experts" always have to disagree and "educate" them.
Would you please give it a rest before you kill this thread? Its like I said earlier, "Depending on whom you're talking to, hardcore music could mean Hardcore Punk, Hardcore Metal, Hardcore Techno, or Hardcore Hip-Hop." In musical terms, "hardcore" generally means "take a pre-existing genre and play it louder, harder, and faster." You and Mr. SmartyPants are both talking about hardcore music in your respective genres, but aren't familiar enough with each other's music to understand why both are hardcore styles.
GhostontheNet

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:52 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1207766) wrote:Your examples show that you are thinking of Hardcore Techno and Hardcore Trance music. The videos you listed are good examples of these genres. However, Digital Hardcore is actually a subgenre of Hardcore Punk, a style of fast-paced Punk Rock pioneered by bands like The Dead Kennedys and Black Flag. Digital Hardcore makes heavy use of synthesizers and drum machines alongside Punk style guitar-work, so it is also a kind of Electronic music.

Perhaps something similar to this?
Enter Shikari - Johnny Sniper

And my apologies to Ghostonthenet and Tom. I was under the impression that Digital Hardcore encompassed Hardcore Trance/Techno/Acid/etc in general, not how you described it.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Scarecrow » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:42 pm

Mr. SmartyPants (post: 1207465) wrote:Generally, most people start getting into electronica with Epic Trance. Most notable are songs like "Castles in the Sky" or "I'll Fly With You", both by Ian Van Dahl and Gigi D'Agnostino respectively.

Much superior electronic Castle in the Sky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hMXtZq3Peo&NR=1

I found that the other day and couldn't stop listening to it xD
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Next

Return to Jam Session