The Arcade Fire - Christian?

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

The Arcade Fire - Christian?

Postby kat-su-chan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:37 am

What are your thoughts on the Canadian Indie band the Arcade Fire. Do you think they are christian? What do you think about their statements about religion and allusions to christianity? If you're unfamiliar with them, I'd suggest you check them out and even just spend some time reading some of their lyrics. They make a lot of religious references and have a lot of religious themes to their music. However outside of this they have made no statements about being a christian band or any of the members being christian.

In an interview with Paste magazine, front man Win Butler offered a telling statement about the nature of the album: “There are two kinds of fear,” he said. “The Bible talks a lot about fear of God???fear in the face of something awesome. That kind of fear is the type of fear that makes someone want to change. But a fear of other people makes you want to stay the same, to protect what you have. It’s a stagnant fear; and it’s paralyzing.”
In the same Paste interview, Butler said Neon Bible is ultimately about “addressing religion in a way that only someone who actually cares about it can. It’s really harsh at times, but from the perspective of someone who thinks it has value.”

If you've got an opinion, I'd looove to talk about it :)
You can also read this article to hear more about the spiritual references in their music (which'd be helpful if you aren't familiar with the band or their music)
http://www.christianitytoday.com/music/glimpses/2007/neonbible.html
Psalm 139
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.

14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
kat-su-chan

Postby Stephen » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:17 pm

*shrug* Many musicians are religious. This may mean they are Christian, may not. Only they know, and really that does not effect me listening to them or not.
Stephen

Postby kat-su-chan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:04 pm

ShatterheartArk (post: 1195138) wrote:*shrug* Many musicians are religious. This may mean they are Christian, may not. Only they know, and really that does not effect me listening to them or not.

Of course it doesn't. It doesn't affect me either.
But this band says some pretty contraversial things with regard to the bible and christianity. It makes for interesting debate and discussion. I am not really asking if people think they are a christian band, so I guess I shouldn't have asked that. What I'm asking and interested in is what people think of their views on christianity. I'm interested to see how other believer's react to their lyrics.
I take it you don't know them, and maybe no one else on here does either because there isn't any discussion going on. It's a shame, because it's a really interesting topic provided the correct knowledge of the band is there.
Psalm 139

I know that full well.
kat-su-chan

Postby yukoxholic » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:40 pm

I'm some what familiar with The Arcade Fire though not an avid listener (-_-;;) They're an interesting band whom I thought I would absolutely love since I love most Canadian bands of the "indie" persuasion :) but they're moseso a 'hot and cold' band in my collection.

I actually own their EP but nothing else. As to your question (and only going by their EP) the most controversial song (In the Christian sense) would be: The Woodlands National Anthem. Which going by my opinion of the song is about a kid who feels as if he's a 'failure' in his parents as well as everyone's eyes but that it spans mostly from their parents being complete and utter failures at life.

The lyrics: Don't you dare blame my parents/I'm the only failed experiment/Don't you dare blame your parents/You're the only failed experiment/Don't you dare blame your grandparents/Mom's the only failed experiment/Don't you dare blame your grandparents/Dad's the only failed experiment/Don't blame God/Just blame God/Don't blame God.

I don't know really how I feel about this song other than it's mostly about placing the blame on someone or something. You could call it their revelation or 'redemption' by realizing "Yes, I was brought into this but the true culprit is God" since he started blaming everyone else and than lastly as the way the end flows Don't blame God/Just blame God/Don't blame God.

It's a choice and in the end he chose "Don't blame God".

...was this kind of what you were asking for? ^__^
yukoxholic

Postby kat-su-chan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:41 pm

yeah most definately although their work outside of their first EP is a lot more contravoursial and opinionated. And there's a lot of it. Intervention, Neon Bible, Power Out, actually, probably almost every song from their two albums since then.
But, I find myself drawing the same conclusions as you. As much as their responses and statements are very pushy and sometimes at first kind of unsettling you begin to realise they aren't really as disrespectful as they seem to be. I just find it interesting, how they tie their lyrics in with God and religion and important aspects about religion but aren't really the same as a lot of other bands out there.
Psalm 139

I know that full well.
kat-su-chan

Postby Tyrel » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:44 am

just a suggestion... Why not post up some lyrics you think would be particularly stirring?
Tyrel

Postby kat-su-chan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:06 am

I'd expect the people discussing it to be fans...so they should know the lyrics. :P
Psalm 139

I know that full well.
kat-su-chan

Postby Kkun » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:35 pm

After listening to Funeral and Neon Bible in full, I would say that they are not Christians, or at the very least, not promoting a Christian worldview. Neon Bible was one of my favorite albums to come out last year, and while it is thought provoking and stirring at times, it also points fingers and casts hasty aspersions on Christians and the church. I don't think there's anything particularly BAD about The Arcade Fire, but I also don't believe they are even subtly pointing to Jesus. Their concerns are earthly and tinged with only a vague awareness of a higher power.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby kat-su-chan » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:40 pm

interesting you say this, because on the contrary I think they acknowledge God a lot.
Been working for the church
While your life falls apart.
Singing hallelujah with the fear in your heart
Every spark of friendship and love
Will die without a home
Hear the soldier groan, "We'll go at it alone"
this exerpt is from Intervention.

What about Antichrist television blues (a song linked heavily with jessica simpson)
Dear God, I'm a good Christian man
I'm your boy, I know you understand
That you got to work hard and you got to get paid
The girl's thirteen, but she don't act her age
She can sing like a bird in cage
Oh Lord, if you could see her when she's up on that stage

You know that I'm a God-fearing man
I just got to know if it's part of your plan
To see my darling stand by your right hand
I know that you'll do what's right, Lord
For they are the lanterns and you are the light

Or the lion and the lamb ain't sleeping yet?
The other thing I find difficult with saying they aren't aware of God is the biblical base for a lot of their lyrics. Especially considering Butler said Neon Bible is ultimately about “addressing religion in a way that only someone who actually cares about it can. It’s really harsh at times, but from the perspective of someone who thinks it has value.”
DO you think this is true? What do you think about a statement like that. Win essentially acknowledges his care for christianity and states he has value in it. Also, would a nonbeliever or at least someone who isn't familiar with God or the christian religion really sing the way that Win does in Antichrist television blues?
It's a mocking song, but mocking of the lack of sincerity and hypocrasy of the subject *cough simpson* instead of mocking God.
So I beg to differ.
Psalm 139

I know that full well.
kat-su-chan

Postby Kkun » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:25 pm

[quote="kat-su-chan (post: 1195479)"]interesting you say this, because on the contrary I think they acknowledge God a lot.
Been working for the church
While your life falls apart.
Singing hallelujah with the fear in your heart
Every spark of friendship and love
Will die without a home
this exerpt is from Intervention.

What about Antichrist television blues (a song linked heavily with jessica simpson)
Dear God, I'm a good Christian man
I'm your boy, I know you understand
That you got to work hard and you got to get paid
The girl's thirteen, but she don't act her age
She can sing like a bird in cage
Oh Lord, if you could see her when she's up on that stage

I just got to know if it's part of your plan
To see my darling stand by your right hand
I know that you'll do what's right, Lord
For they are the lanterns and you are the light

Or the lion and the lamb ain't sleeping yet?
The other thing I find difficult with saying they aren't aware of God is the biblical base for a lot of their lyrics. Especially considering Butler said Neon Bible is ultimately about “]

I don't mean to say that they aren't cognizant of the idea of God, but what I mean is that I don't think they believe in God as Creator of the Universe who sent His son Jesus to die for your salvation. They write a lot ABOUT God, but that doesn't mean that they know God (but they very well could be, and I have no right to say whether they do or don't, but I'll put that aside for now). Theistic, perhaps? Entirely possible but I wouldn't say Christian.

I agree with you about Antichrist Television Blues; it certainly is a slam on people using religious entertainment as a means of making money, but take a look at the lyrics to "Intervention" as a whole.

Intervention-

The king's taken back the throne
The useless seed is sown
When they say they're cutting off the phone
I tell 'em you're not home

No place to hide
You were fighting as a soldier on their side
You're still a soldier in your mind
Though nothing's on the line

You say it's money that we need
As if we're only mouths to feed
I know no matter what you say
There are some debts you'll never pay

Working for the Church while your family dies
You take what they give you and you keep it inside
Ever spark of friendship and love will die without a home

I can taste the fear
Lift me up and take me out of here
Don't wanna fight, don't wanna die
Just wanna hear you cry

Who's gonna throw the very first stone?
Oh! Who's gonna reset the bone?
Walking with your head in a sling
Wanna hear the solider sing:
"Been working for the Church while my family dies
Your little baby sister's gonna lose her mind
Every spark of friendship and love will die without a home"
Hear the soldier groan "We'll go at it alone.

I can taste your fear
It's gonna lift you up and take you out of here
And the bone shall never heal
I care not if you kneel

We can't find you now
But they're gonna get the money back somehow
And when you finally disappear
We'll just say you were never here

Working for the church while your life falls apart
Singing halleluiah with the fear in your heart
Every spark of friendship and love will die without a home

This runs in stark contrast to the spiritual themes of some of their other songs. You can make the argument that it's an attack on people who put more faith in church as an organization than in God, but that's the problem with so many of the spiritual themes on their albums: they're incredibly murky. Yes, they do sing about Biblical themes and ideas but it strikes me more like Iron and Wine's Sam Beam. He uses Biblical ideas and themes in a lot of his work, but it isn't out of reverence: it's simply because it's interesting to him and it creates a framework to discuss lofty philosophical ideas. They are nothing more than literary devices to writing a good song. That's how Win Butler uses it, in my opinion. His reverence of theistic religion, or Christianity in some cases, is born of his love of religion (that was what his degree was in in college) in general, not necessarily of Jesus Christ.

Let me fix my statement from earlier: The Arcade Fire is certainly "aware" of the idea of God, but I'm not convinced that they are, indeed, Christians. Hope that clears up what I meant.

and this isn't any sort of indictment on them, because I REALLY like them as musicians and people. They seem to be kind and devote a lot of time to charitable causes. I just wouldn't classify them as "Christian" when their body of work is unclear and rife with spiritual ambiguity.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby kat-su-chan » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:08 pm

Kkun (post: 1195520) wrote:I don't mean to say that they aren't cognizant of the idea of God, but what I mean is that I don't think they believe in God as Creator of the Universe who sent His son Jesus to die for your salvation. They write a lot ABOUT God, but that doesn't mean that they know God (but they very well could be, and I have no right to say whether they do or don't, but I'll put that aside for now). Theistic, perhaps? Entirely possible but I wouldn't say Christian.

Yeah it's true. I agree with you there. It's doubtable. I don't think they aren't. But unless they come out and say it we can't assume they are either. Either way, Win's educated in it. And I think he is pretty on with his interpretations and understanding. So well educated perhaps.
However, he does say he cares for it. If you know that much about it...and care for it...
Just a strange thing to say if you aren't a christian. However it's also likely it's easier to talk about it without coming out and saying I am a christian isn't it? Probably reaches people better too. Undoubtedly does.
Psalm 139

I know that full well.
kat-su-chan

Postby josh_manga » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Also, i encourage people to go to the official website for AF, as they have somewhat of an up to date journal from the members of the band, to give you an idea of what they are like as people.

One thing about Funeral, is that i believe it to be a sort of concept album, so the imagery becomes symbolism, and the relationships, people, and everything in it may either have a very obscure and specific meaning, or various obscure meanings.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
http://lunamothmusicalentity.bandcamp.com/ http://smithcreations.webs.com/ http://www.scytherpg.webs.com/
Take off every sig, for great justice!
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby josh_manga » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:53 pm

I've been looking over their lyrics, just skimming really, about half way through them, and while what i've read doesn't have a Christian slant in the first half of Funeral, it's not neccessarily anti Christian either, with one possible exception in Power's Out.

Mostly, it seems to be a personal perspective given rather than a Christian perspective, which may allow for more of a human overtone.

Also consider, though a few of them may be Christian, not all of them may be, and to keep peace within the band, there may be certain statements left unsaid.

Also, as a personal view of the world, most of the lyrics seem sarcastic, so some statements which seem to endorse an offensive view may not be an endorsement, but rather a condemnation.

And from what little i've read of Neon Bible's lyrics, i'd have to say that i actually agree with AF's view of the corporate church, it's fluff, spiritless, fruitless, pointless. In God's own words, "because you are neither hot nor cold, I spew you out.", found somewhere in Revelation i believe.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
http://lunamothmusicalentity.bandcamp.com/ http://smithcreations.webs.com/ http://www.scytherpg.webs.com/
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Postby kat-su-chan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:41 am

I guess the thing is Win Butler has biblical and spiritual base for the 'judgements' or statements he makes about the church as you said Josh. In my opinion, he must be pretty educated in Christianity or the bible in order to throw such (sometimes) obscure references out there. It's also possible you didn't catch them all too. It seems like Win began in the EP, and then reflected a bit in Funeral and went full out in Neon Bible.
It's all very interesting to me either way. Why choose to talk about such things if you have no spiritual base? Seems a little strange doesn't it? Especially since he himself says (and i keep quoting this but I think it's important) Neon Bible is ultimately about “addressing religion in a way that only someone who actually cares about it can. It’s really harsh at times, but from the perspective of someone who thinks it has value.â€
Psalm 139

I know that full well.
kat-su-chan

Postby pyro_moogle » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:58 pm

Being an avid listener of Arcade Fire, I can tell you they are not Christian. I am constantly on indie blogs and I remember an interview were he stated so.

The only Christian indie band that comes to mind is Sufjan Stevens. He is a truly talented individual.
[{ Waste of Paint }]
pyro_moogle

Postby chibiphonebooth » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:06 pm

I really enjoy Arcade Fire, but I forget wiether they were christian or not. XD;

Mmmm but Sufjan Stevens is amazzzingngggg~
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby josh_manga » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:37 am

It's very possible that whoever writes the lyrics is either Christian, has extensive knoledge on the subject, or has Christian roots in their upbringing. But that needn't mean the whole band is Christian.

Think of U2. Now, i'm not sure if Brian Eno was ever an actual member of the band itself, but he worked closely with them, helping produce their "sound", and he is a self proclaimed "Evangelical Athiest".

I found this out by looking up "Brian Eno interview" on youtube.

Now, for the nagging question. If Arcade Fire isn't Christian, why do the writers "care" so much about Christianity?

Or if they are Christian, why state they aren't?

hmm...
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
God bless us, everyone.
j.smith.
josh_manga

Return to Jam Session