Batcave Redemption Radio - My Gothic, Industrial, and Darkwave Internet Radio Station

For all the music-lovers out there, this is your place to swap lyrics, talk about new bands and jazz about concerts. All things related to the audio world belong here.

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:14 am

Alright, having been on a binge of listening to my record collection when I was much younger, I've been rediscovering a lot of music. As such, I just added the following albums to the station, which I fondly remember provided my first encounter with the raw power of electronic music, especially of the darker variety:

Various Artists - Mortal Kombat Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
Various Artists - Mortal Kombat Annihilation Original Motion Picture Soundtrack
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:17 pm

Alrighty right everyone, it's official: having been exploring the Glam and Punk genres for some time now, I've finally added them to the station listing. Also, having of late been favoring the Synthpop genre title over Electro to refer to the electronic New Wave style, I've changed the listing to reflect this new preference. On that note, I just added the following albums to the station:

Roxy Music - Avalon
Dead Kennedys - Bedtime For Democracy
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:44 pm

On second thought, having more than six genres in a listing is most unsightly, so I'll just delete the terms Glam and Punk from the listing and play it anyway.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:17 pm

I just added the following album to the station:

Brian Eno - Here Come The Warm Jets
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:33 pm

The Foxglove Hunt - Stop Heartbeat
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:14 pm

Scarlet's Remains - Scarlet's Remains
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Having lately been digging through a bunch of albums I inherited a few years ago, I dedicate this addition to the playlist to the memory of my grandmother:

Enya - Watermark
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:11 pm

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:11 pm

Five Sorrows - Prelude
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:34 pm

David Bowie - "Heroes"
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:06 pm

EnGrave - Polaris
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:27 pm

I just added the following albums to the station:

Ayria - Hearts for Bullets
Devo - Oh No! It's Devo/Freedom Of Choice
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:48 pm

You know, I had the weirdest dream last night. I was at my church with all the people who usually attend, but there was a whole bunch of reggae people who came up front to speak to us. And then, when they were done, the old-school Gothic rock pioneers Alien Sex Fiend came up and played a set of music, though they weren't particularly happy about it. I haven't a clue what it means, but I thought maybe some of my listeners would appreciate it somehow...
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:29 pm

Flaming Fish Records - Defib:Sternum
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:56 pm

The B-52's - Funplex
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:32 pm

The Cruxshadows - Immortal
Interpol - Our Love To Admire
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Ladytron - Velocifero
The Clash - The Clash
GhostontheNet

Postby ich1990 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:11 pm

I would like to mention that I really enjoyed your account of the Cruxshadows/Aria/I:Scintilla concert. It is nice to be able to attach mental imagery to the names that I see popping up on the radio. Whenever I hear "Sophia" or "Cursive Eve" pop up on the Batcave, I make sure to turn the volume up a bit.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:41 pm

ich1990 (post: 1273793) wrote:I would like to mention that I really enjoyed your account of the Cruxshadows/Aria/I:Scintilla concert. It is nice to be able to attach mental imagery to the names that I see popping up on the radio. Whenever I hear "Sophia" or "Cursive Eve" pop up on the Batcave, I make sure to turn the volume up a bit.
Thank you, it was a fabulous concert! Did you get a chance to check out my blog about New Wave and Post-Punk music? The audience reaction there at the time was negative, but reaction on the 'Net has been good and I got a 100/100 grade on it. I look forward to my next concert, whenever that will be.
GhostontheNet

Postby ich1990 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:10 pm

Yes, I did get a chance to read that blog. I must confess that, prior to reading it, I had absolutely no idea what the differences between the genres are, let alone where they originated from.

So, I now have labels for the genres that I like. I enjoy Synthpop and New Wave, but some post punk annoys me.

I also appreciate bands like Delerium and Lycia. Just out of curiosity, what genre would that be?
ich1990

Postby GhostontheNet » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:25 am

ich1990 (post: 1273817) wrote:Yes, I did get a chance to read that blog. I must confess that, prior to reading it, I had absolutely no idea what the differences between the genres are, let alone where they originated from.

So, I now have labels for the genres that I like. I enjoy Synthpop and New Wave, but some post punk annoys me.

I also appreciate bands like Delerium and Lycia. Just out of curiosity, what genre would that be?
Fair enough. Once school is out for the semester, I'm thinking about doing two more blogs in a similar vein, one for Gothic and Darkwave music, and the other for Industrial. As to Lycia and Delerium, here's a brief breakdown.

Delerium: Delerium is the most commercially successful project of Bill Leeb and Rhys Fulber, also well known for their work with Front Line Assembly. Delerium's current sound is best described as a fusion of Dreampop (a New Wave style pioneered by 4AD Records bands like the Cocteau Twins) and Ambient Pop, with some elements of World music, Industrial, and Darkwave (Gothic + New Wave) thrown in around the edges to keep it from being more throwaway escapist entertainment. However, before the release of the album Semantic Spaces, which steered the group toward electronic pop music, Delerium was a Dark Ambient band with a very strong Industrial and World influence.

Lycia: Lycia is a collaborative effort of Mike VanPortfleet and Tara VanFlower, a happily married couple who met each other at a Lycia concert back when VanPortfleet was the only singer. The couple have long held a strong passion for The Cure, 4AD Records Gothic and Darkwave releases, Ambient, Punk, and Post-Punk, and these influences pervade their music in surprisingly diverse ways. While Lycia's music is both very different and very much the same from release to release, overall, their music is best described as Darkwave and Post-Punk.
GhostontheNet

Postby ich1990 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:35 pm

GhostontheNet (post: 1273846) wrote:Fair enough. Once school is out for the semester, I'm thinking about doing two more blogs in a similar vein, one for Gothic and Darkwave music, and the other for Industrial.

I would enjoy reading them, should they be written.

GhostontheNet wrote: As to Lycia and Delerium, here's a brief breakdown.......

Thanks. I think I enjoy the Darkwave and Dark Ambient influences, although I can't be certain without more exposure to both. Thanks again for running this station, it has introduced me to a host of music that I had no idea even existed. I find it quite refreshing compared to the CCM music that our local stations incessantly play.
ich1990

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:05 am

ich1990 (post: 1273966) wrote:Thanks again for running this station, it has introduced me to a host of music that I had no idea even existed. I find it quite refreshing compared to the CCM music that our local stations incessantly play.
You're welcome, it's a pleasure to run it. As to CCM stations and broadcast radio in general, these days the only stations I will listen to are public radio, and the Jazz and Classical stations, each of which are very well run. Other than that, though, there's just not that much worth listening to. I think that when you get down to it, most of the music you hear on the radio is very boring, but when you actually get to listen to other people's personal music collection, all kinds of interesting stuff will come out of the woodwork. In building the playlist of BRR, I've always wanted it to have that really cool vibe like I was letting you in on my own private record collection, and that is in fact the truth. It's a fun, fresh, and honest approach to broadcasting, and I think that's one of the main reasons why interest in the station has really taken off over the past year.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:49 pm

Depeche Mode - Playing The Angel
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:00 pm

Public Image Ltd. - Second Edition
Skinny Puppy - ReMix Dys Temper
Clan Of Xymox - Hidden Faces
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:00 pm

A Kiss Could Be Deadly - A Kiss Could Be Deadly
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:07 pm

Mission Of Burma - The Obliterati
GhostontheNet

Postby shade of dae » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:09 pm

Yes, Ich has introduced your station to me, and I have been listening to it almost as long as he has, but not as often.
I enjoy a large amount of the music on the station, if nothing but for the fact that it is so different from what I normally listen to.
The reason I have not commented on this thread before is becuase I do not really know the names or genres of the bands that I enjoy the most.

Nevertheless, this station is very enjoyable; thank you for keeping it full of new and interesting music!
MAL

What call have I to dream of anything?
I am a wolf. Back to the world again,
And speech of fellow-brutes that once were men
Our throats can bark for slaughter: cannot sing.
-C.S. Lewis
shade of dae

Postby GhostontheNet » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:26 pm

[quote="shade of dae (post: 1275510)"]Yes, Ich has introduced your station to me, and I have been listening to it almost as long as he has, but not as often.
I enjoy a large amount of the music on the station, if nothing but for the fact that it is so different from what I normally listen to.
The reason I have not commented on this thread before is becuase I do not really know the names or genres of the bands that I enjoy the most.

Nevertheless, this station is very enjoyable] That's good to hear, thank you very much! As it so happens, I have my eyes set on some brilliant albums over the next few months, so keep your eyes out. Indeed, I believe a whole new epoch for the station is in the making for the the next year, and I really look forward to things to come. I know it can be daunting to learn all this new music (indeed, just running a station like this has been a whole education in itself), but it's also very rewarding to do so, so I recommend you keep at it. Remember to check the band and song name whenever you hear something you like, and you'll learn a lot in no time at all.
GhostontheNet

Postby GhostontheNet » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:45 pm

The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms
The Future Sound Of London - Lifeforms (Remixes)
The Future Sound Of London - Cascade
The Future Sound Of London - ISDN
GhostontheNet

Previous Next

Return to Jam Session